The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Nadal miss US Open?

5 posters

Go down

Will Nadal miss US Open? Empty Will Nadal miss US Open?

Post by time please Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

http://www.sportal.com.au/tennis-news-display/nadals-us-open-campaign-in-doubt-192772

Has anyone else seen anything on this? I do wonder if we will see Nadal at Flushing Meadows sadly.

The suggestion to Spanish TV seems to follow the same pattern as before - doubt expressed in public before he withdraws a week later.

Another big chance for Murray if so?

time please

Back to top Go down

Will Nadal miss US Open? Empty Re: Will Nadal miss US Open?

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:49 pm

Depends on the draw.

I don't think Nadal will be able to get enough court time in to seriously mount a challenge for the title. I think this could be the end of his season. The only event left to tempt him out would be the WTF and even then I would be hard push to see him progress beyond the RR.

Murray will be drawn against either Federer or Djokovic. If anything I think it could be a massive chance for Federer to make the final.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:15 pm

Big chance for the other 3 if he doesn't make it.

Shame for tennis though if that's the case. A slam needs its stars, and Rafa is a star.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 14 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

Danny82 - Absolutely agree. I've never been a Rafa fan and usually support who ever he's playing against. But I've always recognised his guts, tenacity and will to win.
It could be argued that he's the final obstacle for the other great players - the one final barrier that they have to clear. Fed has found ways of beating him by sheer brilliance, Murray has had to pull out outstanding tennis to get the better of him and Djoko - for a time at least - managed to match him for sheer bloodymindedness and ne'er say die spirit.
Without him we've seen, albeit for only a few weeks, the break-up of the big four and may be you could say that the latter stages of tourneys have been somewhat diminished by Rafa's absence. No Nadal has certainly made it easier for ALL THREE of the other big boys.
Atlhough I want Rafa beaten nearly all the time, I miss him and hope he's back soon.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:07 pm

I don't think Murray will benefit from it either way. Federer and Djokovic should be ranked 1 and 2 for the USO so Murray will get lumped in with one of these 2.

Sad if Nadal doesn't make it but if Murray goes on to win the trophy I want cry over it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:44 pm

Actually, it won't change things much for Murray. He'll still most likely have to beat 2 great players back to back to win it.

It will be a bonus for 1 of the top 2 though as they won't meet anyone of the traditional top 4 until the final.

But maybe this is the tournament where things get shaken up a bit. Usually 3 of the top 4 make the semis, and a lot of the time all 4 do. This year maybe there will be a surprise or 2 and the semis could have some unfamiliar faces.

I'm not convinced of it, but with Murray Djokovic and Federer all going deep at Wimbledon AND the Olympics, maybe this is the slam where energy levels are a bit low and we see only 2 of the big 4 at the business end.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

So is Nadal out of the tourney for sure! I really do feel for the guy and his fans he has such chronic leg problems at such a young age, other players play a physical brand of tennis as well and don't seem to have better luck, I mean Ferrer is older and plays as many long points as Nadal but he seems to hold up much better. Bad knee genes I suppose.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

So is Nadal out of the tourney for sure! I really do feel for the guy and his fans he has such chronic leg problems at such a young age, other players play a physical brand of tennis as well and don't seem to have better luck, I mean Ferrer is older and plays as many long points as Nadal but he seems to hold up much better. Bad knee genes I suppose.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down