The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts?

+17
manos de piedra
tunes666
6oldenbhoy
TheMackemMawler
Thomond
spencerclarke
ShahenshahG
Fists of Fury
PatientFist
BoxingFan88
owen10ozzy
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
fearlessBamber
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rowley
Strongback
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts? Empty Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts?

Post by Strongback Thu 09 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

As you know womens boxing has been introduced to the Olympics for London 2012 as a trial.

Having seen a couple of female bouts I did think the quality of some fights was a bit up and down although there were a couple of cracking fights, Katie Taylor v Natasha Jonas being one that stood out.

What's people's take on womens boxing now,

1. should it be included in the games from now on
2. or is it an unnatural activity for women to be involved in
3. or is it just generally an abomination that should be thrown out.

(Has Trussy's view of the faier sex boxing changed? )

Cheers

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts?

Post by Rowley Thu 09 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

Being a whiny Guardian reading liberal I totally accept and respect their right to take part and see no reason it should not continue to be part of the Olympics, that said it is not for me, don't know why but find it something I struggle to watch

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts? Empty Re: Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts?

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 09 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

I think its alright.

To be honest, with the headgear on, you could pass it as men anyway what with the physic of them haha.

Not being biased (well maybe a little) but Katie Taylor looks like she would dismantle the majority of the men who have entered this year.

It does no harm and to be fair, it is grabbing the imagination of a lot of people in a good way. The support for Boxing this Olympics has been fantastic. Both for the men and women.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

It's 2012. It is absurd to bar women from competing because they're women.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:23 pm

Thoughts? Throw jelly on them!!!

I'm with the others, not particularly interested (albeit not all that interested in amateur boxing as a rule) but more power to them.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:48 pm

Don't see any issue with it, prefer the equality of having them compete than not. Standard has been mixed as it has been with the mens but KT has been superb and our lass in the final's been a good watch too.

BTW, Superfly, I'm off to Edinburgh for the Fringe this weekend, staying at the foot of the castle pretty much. Any tips for bars/clubs?

Friend is doing a PhD up there so knows a few places but her knowledge was pretty thin last year!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

BTW, Superfly, I'm off to Edinburgh for the Fringe this weekend,

Have you got tickets for anyone in particular?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:08 pm

Friday 19:00 - 101 Comedy

Friday 20:30 - Joe Lycett

Saturday 14:30 - Jessie Cave

Saturday 20:10 - Martin Mor

Sunday 19:00 - Daniel Simonsent

Sunday 21:00 - Neil Delamere

Sunday 23:59 - Best of Fest

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

Glad I asked now mate, not one of those means the damndest to me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

haha well it would be boring picking a load of names you see on Mock the Week and Live at the Appollo, wouldn't it? Smile

Simonset, Cave and Lycett are all up and comers that have been recommended by established comedians like Simon Amstell and Sarah Millican on twitter. Hadn't head of them before either.

Martin Mor is an Irish comedian that compered the Best of Irish show last year and was very funny so we thought we'd check his full show out and Delamere headlined BoI and was one of the funniest stand-ups I've ever seen. Had me in tears. He's like Ireland's Dara O'Briain, if you know what I mean, hosting a comedy panel show over there.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:haha well it would be boring picking a load of names you see on Mock the Week and Live at the Appollo, wouldn't it?

I'll take your word for it mate, to be honest comedy has not been the same for me since Jim Bowen stopped touring.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:54 pm

haha naughty Alma!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm

Saw Neil Delamere last year and he was very good.

If it's sunny (or at least not raining) the Pleasance Courtyard is great. There's a couple of bars and loads of outdoor space and it's full of festival spirit. Your friend will hopefully know where it is. Just down the hill from the Pleasance is Holyrood 9A. A really good pub with great food and just about the best selection of beer you could hope for.

The other popular festival venue with outdoor drinking is the Spiegeltent which is at George Square Gardens - again, hopefully your friend should know where that is.

Bars that I would recommend:

Sandy Bells on Forest Road (at end of George IV Bridge) is often open until 5am and a lot of the comedians go there after their shows. Quite often a folk band playing as well.

Pear Tree on West Nicholson Street has a massive beer garden and is near the University so has certain advantages when it comes to the quality of the ladies that frequent it.

Negociants on Potterrow is near both the Pear Tree and the Spiegeltent and again tends to be frequented by some easy on the eye young ladies.

I'd tend to avoid the Grassmarket and Rose Street in the evenings at the weekend as they can be stag and hen party central. Some decent bars in the Grassmarket for afternoon drinking though - the Last Drop is probably the pick of them.

As for other places, it depends on what you like. I'm not really a cocktail bar kind of person but there is a load of them on George Street and Olorosoo (on Castle Street - just off George Street) has a rooftop terrace that has great views of the castle. Tiger Lily and Le Monde are ok.

It's been a long time since I've gone clubbing so not sure how great my recommendations would be. I used to like the Bongo Club on Holyrood Road but it might be worth checking the List to see what's on as it can be fairly eclectic. There are more mainstream (and upmarket clubs) on George Street. There's a club downstairs at both Le Monde (Shanghai) and Tiger Lily (Lulu).

If you're going a bit mental, you could always go to Fingers Piano Bar on Frederick Street. Exceptionally cheesy but it will probably be open until about 7am (it is possible to drink for 24 hours in the summer in Edinburgh).

Hope you have a good time.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm

If the Brit loses this I will go to London and riot the arena!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

These judges still suck, but great boxing by Adams, she landed far more than 5 scoring shots in that second round, Nicola Adams has some seriously silky skills!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:42 pm

Utter brilliance, that was a domination!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by PatientFist Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:45 pm

Great fight! I've been impressed by Adams from what I've seen of her

PatientFist

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:46 pm

Adams boxing skills have surpassed anything I have seen in the mens competition.

Come on Katie Taylor!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

GOLD GOLD GOLD!! Completely destroyed the World Champion, fantastic result, what a hero!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

Katie Taylor needs to start attacking, she is giving this away.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

Jesus, she was sharp that Adams!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

Cracking write-up Superfly, thanks for the tips. There's a few recognisable names there. Think we went to the Pear Tree to watch the sport, not sure, was a big pub/bar with a big outside area with outside bar and bbq. Near the underneath of a bridge, that's all I can remember.....!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

Adams is mens standard, or a little better and a lot of the women look ordinary against her no matter how they are ranked fists. Shame there wont be much opponents for her - she fights like a tasmanian devil

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

was that counted as a knockdown???.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm

The Adams one was yes.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:03 pm

Well done Katie Taylor, wasn't as impressive as I have seen her, but she got the job done!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:03 pm

nah, I meant Taylor BF88. Adams' was clear as day!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

Cracking write-up Superfly, thanks for the tips. There's a few recognisable names there. Think we went to the Pear Tree to watch the sport, not sure, was a big pub/bar with a big outside area with outside bar and bbq. Near the underneath of a bridge, that's all I can remember.....!

No problem. That's the Three Sisters you've described. Also not too bad a place if the sun is shining but can get a bit messy when the stag and hen parties hit.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:06 pm

No it wasn't, just took a while for Katie to decide to wipe her gloves.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:07 pm

That's the one! Quite how you sussed it from my description I don't know lol

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:07 pm

GET IN KATIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:11 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:No it wasn't, just took a while for Katie to decide to wipe her gloves.

Eh?

I'm confused. Adams' knockdown looked totally cleat to me, hint of a bundle maybe, but she landed to clean shots to the head and sent to girl over. I wasn't sure about the Taylor one, not sure what wiping her gloves has to do with being on the canvas??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:19 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:No it wasn't, just took a while for Katie to decide to wipe her gloves.

Eh?

I'm confused. Adams' knockdown looked totally cleat to me, hint of a bundle maybe, but she landed to clean shots to the head and sent to girl over. I wasn't sure about the Taylor one, not sure what wiping her gloves has to do with being on the canvas??

Right hang on, the Adams one definitely was, I thought you were asking about the time Taylor stumbled and took ages to wipe her gloves. I thought you were asking if the ref was giving a count, since you posted it soon after it happened....

My bad XD

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:27 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Eh?

Right hang on, the Adams one definitely was, I thought you were asking about the time Taylor stumbled and took ages to wipe her gloves. I thought you were asking if the ref was giving a count, since you posted it soon after it happened....

My bad XD

lol now I get ya........I was originally querying the Taylor one. Where we got Adams from I'm not sure. Now I understand the gloves point:

Taylor slipped, wasn't a knockdown, took a while to restart whilst she wiped her gloves, not because of an 8 count.

And Adams is amazing and floored her opponent good n proper Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

Yeah, you see the middleweight fight? That was another war! Womens boxing has been top quality!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:12 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Friday 19:00 - 101 Comedy

tophat keep me posted please. Im going next weekend and wouldnt mind seeing neil delamere. And cheers to superfly too that will help me as well! :-)

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:18 pm

Great fighting from Taylor, Ochigava didn't seem to be too interested in fighting if you know what I mean. Great result for boxing in Ireland, the lads should hopefully keep her lit.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:43 pm

When I first joined this site one of my first posts was to give Katie Taylor high praise. The thread was "Who are the ten 'modern masters' of boxing".

It should have been a controversial choice. To this day no one replied.

It makes me laugh how now everyone is talking about her like she lives next door..
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 09 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm

Didn't see the thread Mackem, but I'm a massive Taylor fan. Being Irish and an amateur boxing fan, you have to be. Thank goodness she was allowed to showcase her talent on a global stage. She was talking about turning Pro on RTE earlier.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 09 Aug 2012, 11:45 pm

She is a great boxer, Mackem and has been for a long time, the Irish have known about her and appreciated her talents for a long time. Our best sportsperson ever.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:20 am

I think with the head gear and thicker gloves its fair enough as it is a skilled sport. I dont see me getting to grips with pro womens boxing though.. what can it offer than mens cant in abundence?

also what if they punch eachother on the breast?, is that aloud?, as its ment to be quite paintfull for women...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:41 am

Thomond wrote:She is a great boxer, Mackem and has been for a long time, the Irish have known about her and appreciated her talents for a long time. Our best sportsperson ever.

Really?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 10 Aug 2012, 6:13 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:Didn't see the thread Mackem, but I'm a massive Taylor fan. Being Irish and an amateur boxing fan, you have to be. Thank goodness she was allowed to showcase her talent on a global stage. She was talking about turning Pro on RTE earlier.

I definitely wasn't aiming that toward you mate, I know you follow the amateur game.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:05 am

spencerclarke wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Friday 19:00 - 101 Comedy

tophat keep me posted please. Im going next weekend and wouldnt mind seeing neil delamere. And cheers to superfly too that will help me as well! :-)

Will do mate, keep an eye on the travel section as I'll probably post an update there.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

superflyweight wrote:

No problem. That's the Three Sisters you've described. Also not too bad a place if the sun is shining but can get a bit messy when the stag and hen parties hit.

never a truer word spoken, having just come back from a stag do in edinburugh where i spent most of my time in the three sisters but rememeber none of it

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Thomond wrote:She is a great boxer, Mackem and has been for a long time, the Irish have known about her and appreciated her talents for a long time. Our best sportsperson ever.

Really?

4 World Championships, 10 European (European Amateur and European Union amateur, seems stupid to have two but anyway) and an Olympic Gold. Not to mention numerous caps for the Irish Women's football team. Think it's a no brainer.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

Thomond wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Really?

4 World Championships, 10 European (European Amateur and European Union amateur, seems stupid to have two but anyway) and an Olympic Gold. Not to mention numerous caps for the Irish Women's football team. Think it's a no brainer.

I dont think even in the sport of boxing she would be Irelands best ever boxer. Shes much celebrated in Ireland but there are the likes of McLarnin or McGuigan whos acheivements in the pro game I would say are more impressive. I dont think the womens amateur lightweight scene was as strong as the pro welterweight division McLarnin won his world title in. Im sure even current Irish athletes like O'Driscoll would also have more than a fair argument with three Heiniken Cups, a Grand Slam and a Lions captaincy on his c.v. Or Harrington with 3 golf majors. Certainly a not a no brainer in my book.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:54 pm

alma wrote:Edinburgh sounds a great place. Better than Glasgow at any rate

So is the local gutter. Awful place Glasgow.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:56 pm

Womens Boxing in the Olympics - What's Your Thoughts?

Who's gonna have my tea on after I've been about winning the bread?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:05 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
alma wrote:Edinburgh sounds a great place. Better than Glasgow at any rate

So is the local gutter. Awful place Glasgow.

Lived in Glasgow for two years and then Edinburgh for 7 before recently moving to the sticks. Much preferred Edinburgh (parts of it are stunning and you can walk home from the pub) but Glasgow can be great too. The West End and the Southside are great areas to live and go out in. The problem with Glasgow is that the centre is like a war zone on a Friday or Saturday night. I've never feared for my life more than when standing in a taxi rank queue on Sauchiehall Street at 1am.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next