The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

+31
Skydriver
ryan86
LastDamnation
Mad for Chelsea
Hero
AlciG
sandy_trap
Thomond
John Cregan
mystiroakey
monty junior
themightyone
EmmDee57
Tinmar
bluestonevedder
Conehead
super_realist
Sand
Slowride
princedracula
Hibbz
Shotrock
McLaren
pedro
GPB
Redrage
NedB-H
sirbenson
robopz
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2012, 3:08 pm

1).Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!
Has Five Hour Furyk forgotten how to win? He experienced quite a drought in the late 2000's, rediscovered winning ways at the 2010 Transition (despite shanking down the 72nd hole and singeing KJ Choi's eyebrows on the way), and won squeakily at Hilton Head followed by a round full of fortitude to win the Tour Championship (and FedEx Play Offs). Now he's been in the driver's seat three times this year and parked in the wrong place each time.

2).Meanwhile, Keegan Bradley finally wins without a play-off but still due to the haplessness of another. Still not convinced that Keegs is the real thing. And nor is his local newspaper - the biggest paper in Bradley's Vermont had not one word of the golf in Monday's edition, not even the result. But he's secured his Ryder Cup place and it looks increasingly as if Furyk (so brilliant in the Presidents Cup in Melbourne but very dodgy in Ryder Cup play) will be hoping for a Captain's pick.

3).A perennial gripe about these WGC's - what incentive is there for the pros once they slip out of, say, the top twenty? There aren't many bigger admirers of Lee Westwood than me, but his weekend demonstrates that the WGC people have got their prizemoney structure all wrong. +14 was Westwood's weekend "effort" in finishing 70th, but he still took home $42K, only $30K less than two level par rounds would have earned him.
And then there's Jaidee, Crane and the vanishing Taniguchi who handed in sick notes, banked $40K and limped off to South Carolina.
Time for a cut (like The Masters, say, top 44 and those within ten shots) and lower paydays for the bottom trawlers. Spend that money instead on the leaders and create differentials worth playing for.

4).Didn't see much of the Bridgestone but really enjoyed the coverage of the Reno-Tahoe Open. A leaderboard full of characters and a worthy winner in JJ Henry. The four rookies on the USA Ryder Cup Team at the K Club, Zach, Wetterich, Vaughn Taylor and JJ have had mixed fortunes since their drenching in Ireland. Zach Johnson, of course, has gone from strength to strength, injuries have derailed Wetterich's career almost before it really started, Taylor has hit the buffers, but JJ has been like a journeyman freight train, chugging his way through the Tour season, consistently keeping his card for 12 years while supporting minor events, but never returning to the winners' platform. Until now.
Great to see Brazil's Alex Rocha getting in to the mix, four years early?, and pleased to see Romero back in the shake-up. Then there were the Open Champions: Daly tied with Leonard for his first top five since 2005, Hamilton in 8th, Harrington 19th, and Cink (talk about a slump) and Duval squandering chances of a decent payday. Seemed the modified Stableford format was very popular among the pros.

5).Very disappointing performances at the Bridgestone for those hoping for a Ryder Cup qualification. Given that Rose, McIlroy, Westwood, McDowell and Donald have their places secure, the best Bridgestone finish by the next ten contenders was T29 for Cabrera-Bello, Sergio, Kaymer and Poulter. Expect Davis Love to be quaking in his boots.

6).And look at the Europeans' form this year. Of the current owgr top fifty, the following have all lost more points this year than they've gained, indicative of their games being off the boil:
Donald, Westwood, Kaymer, Garcia, Poulter, Bjorn, Jacobson, Dyson, F'dez and Quiros. (While others such as Casey, Karlsson, Hansen, Luiten and The Mechanic have disappeared completely.) Is it too late to have another look at Carl Pettersson's eligibility?

7).But the Americans only have the long-term absentee Dustin Johnson, Watney and Toms from the top 55 with more points lost than gained, the rest (Mickelson possibly excepted) in decent to sparkling form.
There may be a turnround on the Carolina Shore this week, but I doubt it.

8).And so to Kiawah Island, home of the War on the Shore. (For accounts by those who were there, read your August Golf Digest - the most telling part to me was American disbelief at the amount the Europeans were drinking!)
Very few of those in the 156-man field for this week's PGA Championship have competitive form at Pete Dye's "Ocean Course", although some such as Rafa C-Bello, have played Junior competitions there.
But the WGC World Cup was played there twice, in 1997 and 2003, and these guys played well!
1997: 1st: Harrington (won with McGinley)
2003: 1st: Sabbatini and Immelman, with Casey and Rose runners up.

9).No Bernhard Langer or Hale Irwin this week, no Paul Broadhurst and no Steve Pate (come to think of it we didn't see much of him in the Ryder Cup either. Hmmmmm.), and hopefully no camo gear.

10).Weather will play a big part this week though; Pete Dye took a gorgeous ocean-side property, raised much of it above the dunes, and created a seaside target-golf monster, with almost all the course exposed to the elements but very few run-up areas in front of the greens. There has been significant rain these past few days and a steady diet of 10 - 15 mph breezes is forecast. Yorkshireman Kerry Haigh is responsible for setting up the course and he'll need all his skill to strike a fair balance, but he has an impeccable reputation and let's hope he lives up to it!

No idea who might win, but I fancy local-ish boy Dustin Johnson as best of the Americans. Otherwise I expect Ireland (North and South) and South Africa to contest the medals. For a rank outsider, how about Simon Dyson?

But of one thing you may be certain: If the sole survivor from the War of 1991, Jose Maria Olazabal, plays as he did 21 years ago, there'll only be one winner!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Aug 2012, 3:33 pm

kwinigolfer wrote: Still not convinced that Keegs is the real thing.
Really? One thing's for sure, he's certainly the best clutch putter of our time.

Last edited by incontinentia on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:42 pm

Kwini... Another great writeup.

But about #3 and guaranteed money in the WGC's. Few realize it, but their are similar policies for all the other "regular" events and other no-cut events as well. For example:

In ANY regular PGAT event... any player who makes the cut then subsequently WD's or DQ's... gets paid last place "unofficial" money.

Any player who qualifies for a non-cut event such as the Hynudai, or any of the Playoff events but can not play due to injury or serious personal emergency gets paid last place "unofficial" money. If he starts and then WD's or DQ's... he gets paid last place "unofficial" money.

WGC's work a little differently... If they begin play and WD or DQ, the player gets "unofficial" last place money. But even if he doesn't start, he still gets to designate last place "unofficial" money for a charity of his choice.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:50 pm

robo,
Thanks. Yup, exactly.
But for WGC events, the sums are much larger and distort actual achievement.
Good for the golfers for having played so well to be qualified. But incent them to actually compete rather than go through the motions.
Pretty sure this "annuity" also boosts their pensions! Definition of unearned income in my eyes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 07 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:robo,
Thanks. Yup, exactly.
But for WGC events, the sums are much larger and distort actual achievement.
Good for the golfers for having played so well to be qualified. But incent them to actually compete rather than go through the motions.
Pretty sure this "annuity" also boosts their pensions! Definition of unearned income in my eyes.

Not sure I agree with that part of it... as you say part of the achievement qualifying for the event in the first place. But I don't see how this is any different than any guy in any third or fourth round who's shot himself out of it... difference between 40th and last is only around 10-12K. It's not until you get top-25 or so that the money begins to significantly jump...

But don't get me wrong... I still think there should be some "jeopardy" even in WGC events. IMO a better way would be fields of say 100 (other than the Match Play), cut to 60 and ties. Besides... I'll bet most if not all of those who shot themselves out of it early would much preferred to get outta there on Saturday anyway... and maybe have a few extra days to prepare for the PGA.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Tue 07 Aug 2012, 5:22 pm

Excited for the PGA never gets the same amount hype as the other majors but it has produced some of the most exciting to majors over the last few years and I am sure it won't be as dull as the Open this year.

The 17th looks like it will be a brutal hole this week.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:32 pm

Not so long ago the PGA Championship winner earned an automatic Ryder Cup place. John Daly might have been the first to miss out (in 1991). And, so far, I think the only one. Though Rich Beem (2002) might have made it on a technicality!

Once upon a time, the PGA Champion also earned lifetime status on the PGA Tour. When the Senior Tour started up, closed shop that it was, Jerry Barber used to play whatever PGA Tour events he wanted, but was not qualified for the Senior stops!

Agree benson, looking forward to Kiawah, though there are going to be some meltdowns!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:58 pm

Poulter as leading European, and top 5 at worst... you heard it here first!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:01 pm

Not a bad shout he has been in decent form without really getting himself bang into contention. It would help the European team if he could play his way into the team.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:16 pm

Ned,
I hope you're right! Two Major top tens this year and Kiawah could easily suit the way he works his ball around the course. Most of all, would really like him to make a statement before Ryder Cup qualification ends.

Still no withdrawals that I know about . . . . . . . except Elkington who didn't commit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:02 pm

incontinentia wrote:
Really? One thing's for sure, he's certainly the best clutch putter of our time.

I have not seen anything this premature since I was about 14. Shocked He has 1 major and a couple of wins in a couple of seasons, when he has won the tournaments that Tiger has then you can make such bold claims. As it is he is no more accomplished than Webb Simpson or Martin Kaymer and look how quickly he has lost form.

Kwini, I also think the Saffers are looking sharp just now. Ernie might just do a double now the monkey is off his back, Schwartzel had a fine finish on Sunday and is a terrific scrambler, Louis holds his form for weeks and weeks when he plays well so can certainly see him in the shake up this week.

I imagine Tiger and DJ with their connections (past and present) to Butch will know a thing or two about playing at Kiawah Island so all 5 mentioned are in my Sprotsville team!

Last edited by Redrage on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

Kwini, Jack Nicklaus did not make the 1963 Ryder Cup despite winning the PGA Championship. (and 4 other tournaments including the Masters). Of course, he was not eligible to be on the Ryder Cup (or win the Vardon Trophy) because he had not learned how to fold sweaters, and use a shoe-horn.

Imagine back in 1997, if the PGA of America had told Tiger Woods that he had not yet learned how to set up a NIKE ball display and said he had to sit out the Ryder Cup.
Spoiler:

Don January also did not play in the 1967 Ryder Cup after he won the 1967 PGA. However apparently he learned how to hang shirts on hanger since he played the 1965 Ryder Cup.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:31 pm

I'd also like to see Poulter do well, as I think that would free up a wildcard.

Re. Bradley. His putting was pretty phenomenal over the last 4-5 holes at Firestone. He made some crucial par saves and vital birdies. Don't get me wrong, I don't like him and think he's all drugged up. But he did display some great putting under pressure.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

pedro wrote:I'd also like to see Poulter do well, as I think that would free up a wildcard.

Re. Bradley. His putting was pretty phenomenal over the last 4-5 holes at Firestone. He made some crucial par saves and vital birdies. Don't get me wrong, I don't like him and think he's all drugged up. But he did display some great putting under pressure.

He did, but guys win every week and hole clutch putts along the way. Adam Scott did it win the same event a year before. I actually really like Bradley, he is gutsy as hell and his psychotic stare is hysterical. He is a bit slow but I am sure he'll work on it when gets enough flack. I just don't think you can call him the best clutch putter of our age this early in his career and not when he can consider Tiger and Luke Donald among his peers. Until last year Kaymer was excellent at holing out important putts, his game is just all over the place at the minute. Harrington was the same before that, Stricker too. Bradley could do the same next season or the season after.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:51 pm

Redrage wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

I have not seen anything this premature since I was about 14. Shocked He has 1 major and a couple of wins in a couple of seasons, when he has won the tournaments that Tiger has then you can make such bold claims
Whoa there, i just said he's a great clutch putter, not the next Tiger Woods(although he's looking as if he might be). He just beat a seasoned veteran in swashbuckling fashion, remind you of anyone?

I think some of the heat directed at Keegan has a lot to do with his use of the belly putter.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:58 pm

incontinentia wrote:

Whoa there, i just said he's a great clutch putter

You didn't say that or I'd have agreed.... he is a very good clutch putter.

In case you forgot what you wrote....
incontinentia wrote:

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:52 pm

I am not sure what a clutch putter is, but if my assumption that it means you hole that crucial putt when you need to is correct. Then maybe a very unlikely candidate in ernie els has some claims to the crown given the rather crucial 15 footer he holed a few weeks back.

As for Keegan, whats there not to be sure about? He is winning regularly and winning in the bigger events. Has anyone other than tiger won more than three times on the pga tour over the last twelve months?

Unless you make some outlandish predictions about his career it is pretty sage to say he is very good player and it would be no surprise to see him win another major.

Does no one remember when he rolled in a monster on the 18th at Riveria to join phil and haas in a play off?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm

So, do we reckon super prefers TOC or TOC?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm

Bradley's two wins in past 12 months puts him in fine air. And with one of those a major puts him in even rarer air.

I, too, would like to see a cut in the WGCs -- but I'm not a sponsor and could absolutely understand why those who risk the money want to make sure as many "names" play the entire tournament as possible.

Would be great to see Ernie go low again -- but I think McIlroy, Woods, and Donald (there I said it) will have something to say before it's all over.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

redrage- there was some use of poetic licence in my original post, but not much.

Keegan has shown he has the most important asset in golf, the ability to perform under pressure. He also has the game to go with it. This is why I don't understand kwini's uncertainty.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:54 pm

Keegan: Just that he's played tremendously well and essentially stumbled into three wins, two of which he never led until the last putt, and one in which someone else threw it away first.
He may turn out to be a world-beater but he still looks a bit mechanical to me and I'm just not convinced. Hopefully he'll get his nose in front and win going away sometime soon.
They used to call Harry Wragg the "Head Waiter" because of all the late runs and photo-finishes he engineered. Bradley has so far been of the same ilk.

Still no withdrawals?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:18 pm

I think the WGC should institute a cut like the Masters. Top 44 and anyone inside ten shots of the lead.

And give unofficial money to Trunk Slammers to pay their expenses etc. 20K-25K should be enough.

Kwini, dang, you seem to be very jaded and bitter this week. Never led until the last putt? Really, that is something to be critical about. I

suppose you are the one that complains vehemently when somebody paid your $50 turn bet to see the river and hits a 9 outer for the Nut Flush. You would have happily taken the $50 if he missed the river.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:34 pm

Hi GPB,
You're last paragraph is double Dutch to me, but I like my top golfers to win like winners. That's all.

Not sure where the jaded bitterness is in my notes, but in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:57 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Hi GPB,
You're last paragraph is double Dutch to me, but I like my top golfers to win like winners. That's all.

Not sure where the jaded bitterness is in my notes, but in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Not sure I know "Double Dutch" reference, but the jaded and bitter comment was referring to your earlier comments on Tim Finchem, and how you think he is preventing a WGC event in Europe and US Tax laws vs Europe etc.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:47 am

Ah, that was last week's thread.
Just very anti the US tax system, that's all, no biggie.
Never met a tax I didn't like, so long as it was applied fairly and, in this country more than most, there's the rub.
I like my roads and PD's and FD's and public schools and defence system and National/State Parks (and I love the NHS) etc etc and am prepared to pay my share. Others are not. Too bad.

I actually said Finchem does a very good job . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:57 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Ah, that was last week's thread.
Just very anti the US tax system, that's all, no biggie.
Never met a tax I didn't like, so long as it was applied fairly and, in this country more than most, there's the rub.
I like my roads and PD's and FD's and public schools and defence system and National/State Parks (and I love the NHS) etc etc and am prepared to pay my share. Others are not. Too bad.

From that statement, I assume you must be in the top-20% of earners. 20% of Americans earn 53.4% of the income yet pay 67.2% of income taxes. [source: Tax Policy Center] And 51% pay no income tax at all. [source: PolitiFact]

I agree with you... it does seem some fairer system could be devised... where at least the majority of American wage earners participated in the income tax system.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:55 am

robo,
Long-term unemployed but paying taxes on my dwindling retirement funds, not to mention my wife's salary.
Life couldn't be much worse. Broke and unemployed in a country I'd just as soon not be in, could be even worse in November.

Not sure what your implications are, but I regard it as a duty, even a privilege to pay taxes. Wish the bar stewards round here would feel the same about jobs instead of subjecting aging aliens to age and ethnic discrimination.
Enough?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:23 am

Shame about your circumstances kwini, are there any opportunities in sports journalism out there?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:08 am

Apparently the field this week is the strongest for any event ever, the first time since the rankings began in 1986 that the world's top 100 are all in the same place!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 11:15 am

Pete Dye's creation has received a fair amount of rain over the past 72 hours, and the course is a little wet - even Tiger says it will play long. The back tees offer up to 7,700 yards of torture for the players and course set-up details will be anxiously awaited!
It'll drain well but still the chance of rain in the forecast, together with 10-15 mph breezes and mosquitoes.

"Man vs Bugs" tweets Luke Donald, and if it's not raining those widges will come out in their gazillions.

Still no withdrawals so the top 100 remains intact, Ben Crane thought to be the most likely to defect after his back went out on him at the Bridgestone.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:07 pm

It crossed my mind this morning that Mr Dye has now hosted two PGAs in three years. What do our stateside correspondents think the chances are of him landing a major on (what I think is) his masterpiece at Harbour Town? I have my suspicions that its lack of length, and, er, the heritage of The Heritage will work to prevent it happening, but I'd love to see it.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:25 pm

If it is that long are we to assume Tiger will not be chipping 4 irons up the fairway as a sorry alternative to a drive?

After a bit of a choke how do people think adam scott will fair this week and what will we be able to glean from his performance this week?

GPB

I am not sure it can be described as bitter and jaded to suggest that you are not sure that a player who has never built a 36/54 hole could do that and then finish of the job. It is great that Keegan can stay in the hunt and apply the pressure but at some point he will need to stretch out a lead and keep it for 18 holes plus.

Although not a fan of his style, I do admire Keegs golf game and predict he will be the most frequent winner in the group of sub 30 Americans over the next ten years. Despite this defence of his play, I can still see what someone would be getting at if they said they remain unsure about him. As after all, we know that players like Kenny perry or steve stricker can win consistently without getting the really big prizes. Although with a major and WGC so far it seems Keegan may be a little different.

I certainly hope to see him tee off in the last group of a major on Sunday to see what happens.

I also failed to pick up any bitterness in kwini’s comments about WGC’s and the influence finchem may or may not have in their current/future locations. I often detect frustration from posters on here over the fact that there are no local WGC’s for us Brit’s but that hardly counts as bitter.

Oh, and rest assured that US tax laws are the result of years of selfish decisions based on some crack pot ideas about some “American dream” and the punishment those who fail to achieve this should be dealt. This is not meant as a dig at any of the US guys I just hope you realise how mental your country seems in terms of treating its own people well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

More Pete Dye at another PGA Championship venue when the BMW visits John Daly's Crooked Stick in September.

Ned,
Not sure what others would say, but wouldn't think Harbour Town would stand an earthly of securing a Major (though it did once host a Tour Championship).
As you suggest, it is short, but more than that it's (ironically) very landlocked and weaves in and out of housing that TV doesn't really show. I just don't see the room for the crowds or the "infrastructure", whether it be grandstands, merchandise tents, hospitality marquees, etc, etc.

Not sure what they're doing for parking this week - for the Ryder Cup they parked us in a field (yes, we did get stuck in some mud) about five miles away and bussed us in. But that would be an issue at Harbour Town also and I seriously doubt the local authorities would be able to sequester the amount of parking necessary.

Shame, but I just don't see it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:47 pm

I cannot see Scotty bouncing back he played poorly last week, I know form a week before a major doesn't matter that much but I think he four putted from under ten feet in RD 1 last week.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

Mclaren-apparently the fairways are quite generous this week, so we should see Tiger driving with impunity. Pete Dye wouldn't be his favourite course architect.

Don't think Scott will do anything special this week, his idol is Greg Norman so it can't be a huge surprise he choked at the British. Hopefully he will be high in bouncebackability though.

Bubba Watson's adoption finally came through, wonder if that will be a distraction? Hopefully not cos he's one of my picks for the sportsville competition!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:31 pm

Wonder what influence Davis Love is having at Kiawah;
Practice groups this week have included:
Woods, Mahan, Kuchar (where's Bubba?)
Fowler, Keegs, Phil and Dustin (in fairness, a money game group that frequently plays together, usually to the benefit of Phil's bank account).

Any clues?

PS: More rain due shortly, it's going to be WET!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

The other week I had an each way double on Bernhard Langer to win the British Senior Open and Westwood to win the USPGA.

Unfortunately dear Bernhard conspired to mess up the finish so the bet is dead but the interesting part of it for me is that the odds on Westwood were at the time 14/1. I've just checked and he is now 28/1 to win the USPGA.

I know he had a bad couple of rounds last week but is anyone else surprised at the lengthening of the odds?

Are there rumours of an injury or have the bookies just got wind that he's the Hibbz selection in Kwini's fantasy game?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm

incontinentia wrote:Apparently the field this week is the strongest for any event ever, the first time since the rankings began in 1986 that the world's top 100 are all in the same place!

Not any more. Ben Crane has WDed.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

Westwood hasn't spoken too positively about his game recently so maybe that is why the odds have been lengthened and people have shyed away from taking a punt on him!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:55 pm

It's been a bad few weeks for Crane - failed to take asvantage of his Lytham opportunity and now missing out at the Bridgestone and PGA - but at least his absence will allow play to move along more quickly.

Chris Stroud takes his place, Jerry Kelly on deck, Pride and Steele (sound like important attributes for a golfer) to follow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:57 pm

Jaidee maybe a doubt as well as Yang who tweeted before the Open that he had a bad back (I think it was back) but he was defo carrying a niggle.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:18 pm

Coincidence or not that Crane and Jaidee were grouped in the same threesome?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 08 Aug 2012, 7:36 pm

Thanks, kwini clap

Glad to hear that Reno has been good to watch and popular, I've seen virtually nothing from it last week. To me the USPGA this week is one of the most difficult majors to call this year. With all that terrible weather in prospect, this feels like a big lottery...

Spoiler:
In a way it's almost a pitty to have something like the strogest field you could ever dream to assemble and then to have to play it all in such conditions. And then there's all those lovely bugs...yaich! But let's hope it won't be quite as bad as we've been led to believe...

I totally agree with having a cut for those WGC's, and if that's because the sponsors want it that way, then it's probably one of the many examples where sponsor interests are clashing head on with common sense golf. McDowell was making some funny side comments last Friday, about how desperate he was to make sure he is in contention at the weekend to keep him interested, or otherwise all is there for you to do on Saturday and Sunday is 'chewing shoelaces'... In WGCs you're normally dealing with the top 50-ish in the world plus in general other winners of golf tournaments (in other words, creme de la creme), so they'd be already pretty reach guys for whom 40k is not a big deal, and I doubt there are too many of them who aren't there simply to compete with the best and to contend and if things don't work out the first two days, the last thing most of them would like to do is to have to stick around 'chewing shoelaces'...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 08 Aug 2012, 7:38 pm

Mac - Fair points, but I would not cast as broad a net about the crackpot tax laws. Work to be done to be sure!

My UK born and bred neighbor has a son who thinks he can be the next Bill Gates. He's also convinced that if the family were living in London his son would not feel this way - the "class" system that the father experienced through his 30s would have beaten him down. True or not who knows? (I'm just relating the story.)

I've had some great breaks in my business life -- but also took some significant risk to start two businesses in the past 20 years. Also, NO family capital, other than work ethic (for which I'm VERY grateful), to start me off.

But the "safety net" nothing close to some other countries -- that absolutely keeps me motivated.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:01 pm

Sr,
Your friend either has a chip on his shoulder or his son has been brainwashed.
Too many great British entrepreneurs to itemise, but I've never once (through social life, school or the workplace) experienced any "class" stuff.
If anything, would say that US life has more exclusionary behaviour, starting with golf clubs!, and is certainly a far less tolerant society.

But it IS true that many "ex-pat" British people think their new lawn has greener grass even when it manifestly doesn't, or more certainly won't be. Then there's an acquaintance from Glasgow living here who refuses to pay taxes, does everything thru a shelter in the Caymans and thinks life is great!

Life is what you make it, good and/or bad as I think you've shown!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:10 pm

Well, I think it's fair to say that the social mobility in Europe is rather limited. If your parents are workers, chances are you will be too. If your parents are on welfare, chances are that you will be too. Americans don't seem to have the same inhibitions.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

Q. You had referenced Sergio earlier; how important is it for him to make the team, and why? And also Harrington, as well.
JOSÉ MARIA OLAZÁBAL: Well, you've seen him play a Ryder Cup. He's a great team player. His spirit is always really good. And in that regard, I think he's a great asset to the team. He has obviously the experience, the knowledge. He wants to be part of it. It's true that at the moment, his game is a little bit off. And pairing?wise, he's proved the last few Ryder Cups he can play with anybody, and he's done well. And I think that's very important. If you are looking at the players to be on your team, Sergio would certainly be one of them for sure.
Pádraig, he has to do really extraordinary well. He's well down the list. He will have to really do extraordinary well here. We've known Pádraig, he's a very methodical player. He really works hard at it. I've played with him a couple of times during this year. From tee?to?green, his game has been fairly good, but I think his putting has let him down this year so far.

This answer wreaks of I will not pick Padraig....I hope he doesn't pick him cause of the falling out he had years ago with him and the fact Sergio and Padraig don't get along due to one being an incredibly sore loser.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:43 pm

Luke Donald has been a successful partner for Sergio in the past - felt Faldo really missed Donald at Valhalla when the leadership he might have expected from Garcia, Harrington and Westwood never materialised.

Both Captains have VC's to select - wouldn't be surprised if DLIII chose Toms and J-M O picked Bjorn and The Mechanic among others.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

Do you think Padraig will get a pick?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:54 pm

if Porridge plays either by rights or as a pick europes chances take a big nose dive. i may even bet on USA myself

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next