The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28 Days Later.........

+2
kemet
bogbrush
6 posters

Go down

28 Days Later......... Empty 28 Days Later.........

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

One of my favourite films and quite fitting for such an article. Let's go back 28 days later. Roger Federer bidding for a 7th Wimbledon to tie him with Sampras. Murray aiming to become Britain's first male winner since Fred Perry in 1936. 76 years of history on Murray's shoulders. Least we bid farewell to Bunny Austin in the pub quiz stakes. This was to be Andy's time. 3 Slam finals prior and 3 set defeats to boot. This was a different Andy Murray. This was someone that had now found an inner peace in court. The Lendl effect was well and truly in full effect. Andy took control of the match and took the first set. Lot's of chances and cat and mouse play in the 2nd set. Federer found some inspired points on the Murray serve and took the set. Just as Federer got a foot back in the final, the heavens opened and roof and caved in. Murray was now trapped in a Federer onslaught. The next 3 sets went with Federer and it was further history for Swiss maestro and Murray was relegated to feeling of a runner up which must've been tiresome. The rain cloud blew over and as the sun set in the sky, it rained on Centre Court with British tears. When will it ever come good Murray in the Slams.

Cue the Olympics. A Patriotic wave of togetherness and a nation was united. An opening ceremony which showed the world what makes Britain great. Andy Murray Olympic champion? To me this was a notion was so far-fetched. Murray having lost to Lu Yen Hsun in the first round in Beijing. I also expected Murray to have one eye on the American swing and take advantage possibly of the focus Federer and Djokovic had on the Olympics. With Nadal injured it seemed there was a passage to a Slam. A parting of the waves like only Moses could himself perform. I wouldn't call this Murray not being patriotic and not caring. Just in the tennis world a Slam is the holy grail of titles and for me the American Swing was something that could open up to Murray. In the first rounds he saw off Wawrinka, Nieminen, Baghdatis and Almagro. In the semi finals Djokovic stood in his way and despite his patchy form he was the type of player that could show up and just blow you off the court. Instead Murray turned in a performance which rivaled that of his match earlier in the year against the Serb at Doha. It was a sensational match and Murray showed his teeth and got stuck into Djokovic. Gone had the long periods in matches which were filled of passive junk. Murray was guaranteed himself a medal.

28 Days Later...........

Murray v Federer Part II. It's personal!

A few days after his Wimbledon defeat, Murray went back to Wimbledon. Walked onto Centre Court and took in what he had achieved. Yes the Slam victory was not with him, but this was overcoming the demons. The pain of defeat had started to float away and new feeling of resilience was present and the goal was now Olympic success. The other side of the net was his tormenter. Roger Federer. Chasing his own dream of complete greatness. He doesn't really need Singles Gold to cement his status, but Federer as animal is not built that way. A gracious champion in every sense and so quick to downplay his importance and legacy in the game. Singles Gold was a title which had elluded him. Shot down in Athens by a young Berdych and after the pain of Wimbledon 2008 he suffered more heartache when losing to Blake at Beijing. He managed to find himself Gold in mould of doubles with his compatriot Wawrinka.

Federer. The number 1 in the world. 17 time Slam champion. Never lost to Murray in a 5 set match. On his favourite court. Red hot favourite. What transpired in this match was foreign. Federer making plenty of UE's. Murray going after Federer on the baseline after the hammering he took on it when the roof came over 4 weeks earlier. Federer did not look settled. Murray romped the first set 6-2. 2-0 in second and an epic service game. Murray playing with too much caution and Federer generating 7 BP's!!! Murray somehow finding the form on the big points when he needed them. Once he held that serve, the momentum stayed with Murray and he run off with 5 games and took the second 6-1. Could Murray see this out? Murray got the break in the 3rd at 3-2 and Murray saw the match out and in my lifetime I never thought I would say this. Andy Murray Olympic Champion. Gold Medalist. A final thought on Federer. This defeat will sting a little. I am sure he will come back strong in New York. It wasn't his best match. Silver Medal is still very good achievement in itself. 2 medals at the Olympics.

Murray also found Silver in the Mixed Doubles with Laura Robson.

What a difference 28 Days Later makes. Yahoo

Back to top Go down

28 Days Later......... Empty Re: 28 Days Later.........

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:19 pm

Good article, but Federer was never red hot favourite for this, particularly not after the semis.

I think they both got what they needed from the grass this year. Maybe not what they wanted but Federer needed the Slam to get #1, #7 and #17 and Murray needed this to play his part in Team GB and get some glory. I think given the option they would each have taken those outcomes.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

I think also the crowd played a big big part. As strange as it sounds the fans were more British than tennis fans. I don't think Roger was overwhelmed by the occasion, I think once the FH stopped working and the volley misses at the net, Andy had the match.

The last month the Murray 2nd serve has looked very solid.

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

bogbrush wrote:Good article, but Federer was never red hot favourite for this, particularly not after the semis.

I think they both got what they needed from the grass this year. Maybe not what they wanted but Federer needed the Slam to get #1, #7 and #17 and Murray needed this to play his part in Team GB and get some glory. I think given the option they would each have taken those outcomes.

You may be right, but I am sure Roger was very disappointed having missed out on the gold for Switzerland, so although he was beaten quite convincingly, I am sure Roger set out to win the match. From all accounts, Murray simply outplayed him and deserved his title (I was in transit to Washington DC from New York while Roger was being humbled on his most successful surface). I will watch the highlights later to see what transpired today at SW19.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:24 pm

Oh I'm sure he was, but he looked on the ragged edge against Del Potro, missing easy volleys all over the place and barely scraped through.

I think he's one the smart thing dropping Toronto, he needs to rest up and get a decent run at Cincinatti to be ready for the really heavy appointments at the US Open.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

Murray has to be one of britain's biggest sporting heroes of all time now regardless of wheter he wins a slam or not. He has been the best male tennis player in over 70 years and has brought home a gold and silver in the home olympic games. To me LK, this cements his legacy domestically in terms of athletic accomplishment in britain and uk. And the confidence in beating up fed on grass should maybe give him that little bit more he needs in those big slam finals. Good Post LK, and congrats on a pretty sweet weekend for murray.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 06 Aug 2012, 6:16 pm

I never did say nice article, so Nice Article. He's definitely cemented his place among Scotland's greatest sportsman, now time to step it up to one of Britain's greatest.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 06 Aug 2012, 8:36 pm

Yep, great article - and really good film too.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 06 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm

LK

Great article as usual - slightly less pained than your one of four weeks ago Wink

But I have to disagree. 28 weeks later is far better (what a shock ending!!)

But I suppose that would have put us in the 3rd week of January 2013 and who wants to compare Doha to Wimbledon Laugh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down