The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squads Annouced For Gwent Select Match

+8
bedfordwelsh
Thomond
red_stag
pioden gorllewin
Stone Motif
Morgannwg
ScarletSpiderman
munkian
12 posters

Go down

Squads Annouced For Gwent Select Match Empty Squads Annouced For Gwent Select Match

Post by munkian Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:16 am

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=21880

SQUADS ANNOUNCED FOR GWENT SELECT MATCH
By Charlotte Moriarty | Wednesday, 01 August 2012

Both the Dragons and Gwent Select XV have confirmed their squads for Saturday’s clash as the Region takes on the region at Rodney Parade on Saturday(4pm).

The match will be the culmination of the region’s Family Fun Day, which starts at midday and involves a host of activities for kids, a beer festival, live music and an opportunity to meet the Dragons Players.

Cross Keys flanker Rob Nash is set to captain the side, leading out representatives from Cross Keys, Newport and Bedwas.

The Gwent select side will be coached by Bedwas Coach Steve Law, assisted by Newport’s Steve Bryant and Greg Woods from Cross Keys.

The Fun day is just £3 per person, to include entry to the match with proceeds going to the Premiership Sides.

Gwent Select 15 squad;

Backs
Geraint O’Driscoll (Newport), Mathew John (Bedwas), Dean Gunter (Cross Keys), Kristian Baller (Cross Keys), Elliott Frewen (Newport), Adam Davies (Newport), Ross Wardel (Bedwas), Alan Awcock (Newport), Richard Powell (Bedwas,), Andrew Quick (Newport,), Rhys Downs (Newport),

Forwards
Rich Cornock (Cross Keys), Mark Jones (Cross Keys), Kristian Gay (Bedwas), Anthony Lott (Cross Keys), Rhys Hutchinson (Bedwas), Gerwyn Price (Cross Keys), Craig Lodge (Bedwas), Kyle Maiden (Bedwas), Dan Hodge (Cross Keys), Phil Sargent (Bedwas), Rob Nash (Cross Keys, captain), Craig Atwell (Newport,), Adam Powell (Cross Keys), James Thomas (Bedwas),

Head Coach – Steve Law (Bedwas)
Backs Coach - John Bryant (Newport)
Forwards Coach - Greg Woods (Cross Keys)

Dragons Squad;

Backs
Tom Prydie, Daniel Evans, Mike Poole, Andy Tuilagi, Jack Dixon, Adam Hughes, Pat Leach, Steffan Jones, Lewis Robling, Wayne Evans, Jonathan Evans.

Forwards
Aaron Coundley, Tim Ryan, Nathan Williams, Dan Way, Sam Parry, Hugh Gustafson, Ian Nimmo, Josh Tyler, Jevon groves, Andrew Coombes, Ieuan Jones, Hywel Stoddart, Darren Waters, Tom Brown

Yey, Pooley is back thumbsup Gutted I can't go Doh
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Squads Annouced For Gwent Select Match Empty Re: Squads Annouced For Gwent Select Match

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:21 am

So Gus is going to get a run out a Hooker looking at the squads?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Squads Annouced For Gwent Select Match Empty Re: Squads Annouced For Gwent Select Match

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:23 am

I'd have preferred Baller and Price to be in the Dragons squad seeing as theyve been training with us, but there you go. Hopefully a few of these Gwent boys can step up. I'm sure they'll be itching to give a good account of themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

I gus so SS drumroll

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:05 am

Dragons firsts and Dragons seconds. Not a bad pair of squads. Doesn't seem right without seeing Pontypools name.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:06 am

Stupid question but are they still a feeder club ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:08 am

No, but probably a feeder to Bedwas, Newport and Crosskeys like Ebbw Vale are.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:11 am

Cool, ta
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:32 am

Should be a close game. Gutted I can't make it either. Dragons have done a decent job marketing this too seen quite a few posters up where I work.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:35 am

i'd be interested to see how josh tyler does in the second row, got plenty of potential and the dragons lack depth in that position. also glad to see ieuan jones making the step up from the u20's. what's the story with aaron coundley? there was a lot of hype about him a few years back, but haven't heard anything since.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

Newport v Gwent. An exciting match.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:42 am

Is this on S4C? Might be good to watch if there's nothing on the box and I'm not out and about.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:46 am

red_stag wrote:Newport v Gwent. An exciting match.

Think it's Dragons v Gwent. So more the full time professionals V the semi pro players ( i might be wrong) - but very true will be an exciting match.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 01 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:

Think it's Dragons v Gwent. So more the full time professionals V the semi pro players ( i might be wrong) - but very true will be an exciting match.

It is, Dragons v Gwent select XV
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:02 pm

No Ebbw Vale players in squad?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:No Ebbw Vale players in squad?

Are Ebbw in the new premiership? I think this is prem only teams.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:16 pm

munkian wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:

It is, Dragons v Gwent select XV

Knowing Red Stag as I sadly do, he's just fishing for bites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:i'd be interested to see how josh tyler does in the second row, got plenty of potential and the dragons lack depth in that position. also glad to see ieuan jones making the step up from the u20's. what's the story with aaron coundley? there was a lot of hype about him a few years back, but haven't heard anything since.

Coundly was always meant to be taken out of playing to concentrate on his conditiong but has pretty much been injured ever since. Think he made a comeback with Newport last season and appeared in a couple of LV matches over the last couple of years.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 01 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

thanks stone motif for the info. fingers crossed he can kick start his career this season.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

Sounds like a great day out.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 02 Aug 2012, 11:55 am

Men of Gwent Sevens is THE DAY out, maes. So, did anyone go to this yesterday, can they give feedback?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 02 Aug 2012, 2:02 pm

It's on Saturday Morgannwg thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 02 Aug 2012, 2:31 pm

Oh right. I must have looked at the date that article was posted and assumed that was the fixture date...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:11 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:No Ebbw Vale players in squad?

Are Ebbw in the new premiership? I think this is prem only teams.

SS,

No unfotunately we are not but its a Gwent select match and we are still in Gwent
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:11 pm

Unable to attend today, but the GS beat Dragons 16-10. Hopefully certain players made a name for themselves. I eagerly await Chris Kirwan's report tomorrow/later.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:18 am

If I was part of the Dragons management I would be concerned being beaten by a semi Pro make shift team from half of Gwent (with small budgets) and the fully pro side playing at home! I suspect the Dragons did not field the full side but it suggests some of the Gwent boys should replace some of the Dragons players (or coaches).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:11 am

It smacked of a training game to me and way to scout new talent and to see how the premiership players who've been training with the Dragons squad got on.

I agree we should have won but if it means we've discovered new talent and spotted weaknesses early then it no biggie in the long run. Lets see how we do against LI before we panic
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:28 am

To be fair this is the point of pre-season matches. You tend to find that they are not really indicitive of what the full strength side can do, but more about what the depth is like, and who may be ready to be called upon etc.

I must be honest I think that the other regions should be doing similar matches within their regions.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

If anything else, it was a Fun Day.

You had families there spending money and buying merchandise - may get them back for regular matches.

You also had people pre=ordering the new shirt.

People on some forums are saying this is a shocking result and writing off the Dragon's chances of doing better this season already- get a grip mun
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:41 am

Until the first real match of the season against Zebre then you can't tell what will happen. That said you lose against them and I think any abuse you get will be deserved.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Until the first real match of the season against Zebre then you can't tell what will happen. That said you lose against them and I think any abuse you get will be deserved.

Dude, it won't match the abuse I give out if we lose Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:21 pm

glamorganalun wrote:If I was part of the Dragons management I would be concerned being beaten by a semi Pro make shift team from half of Gwent (with small budgets) and the fully pro side playing at home! I suspect the Dragons did not field the full side but it suggests some of the Gwent boys should replace some of the Dragons players (or coaches).

I couldn't go, but it sounded like Dragons B were just using it as a hit out, whereas obviously the Gwent Select were bound to be ripping up trees. But there were always players that needed bringing into our squad, so this result is really a positive, as it means nothing in the grand scheme of things and if players get contracts, then it's a good thing.

If I were the Dragons management I'd be pleased to have more options available.

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

Blimey.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:27 pm

Dragons B team narrowly lose to future Dragons players in training match shocker !! Shocked

Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 07 Aug 2012, 5:48 pm

Could be the best result for the region in the long run. Would have given the Dragons management a look at players from the Gwent XV that they had not seen a lot of. Could see some players picking up training contracts.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:42 pm

Coleman wrote:Could be the best result for the region in the long run. Would have given the Dragons management a look at players from the Gwent XV that they had not seen a lot of. Could see some players picking up training contracts.

OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down