The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kids and boxing

+5
horizontalhero
The Galveston Giant
Lumbering_Jack
JabMachineMK2
John Bloody Wayne
9 posters

Go down

Kids and boxing Empty Kids and boxing

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:26 pm

OK, I should start this by saying I think boxing is an extremely good thing for kids. In an age of Lumber Jack becoming infuriated by the obese, boxing teaches discipline and promotes a healthy life style 24/7. It also helps troubled youths find an outlet for the problems and gives them a target to achieve. Many only start because they need to defend themselves.

However I just read this article: http://www.care2.com/causes/16-year-old-dies-after-sparring-boxing-safe-for-kids.html

A 16 year old in America complained of a headache after taking a solid whack in sparring (I presume with headguards and 16oz gloves unless it's in jabmachine's gym) and later collapsed. An ambulance was called but he died later that day.

Given the fact that kids aren't going to have the punch resistance of adults, should there be more rules on what age groups are allowed to spar. Obviously some start boxing at ten and compete as soon as they're allowed and are fine, but even though this is a rarity it's still a tragic one.

Thoughts, gents?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Kids and boxing Empty Re: Kids and boxing

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

Haha we use head and body protection!

We just use 12 - 14oz gloves in sparring. We don't go hell for leather either.

I think kids sparring needs to be controlled, it should be what we do sometimes, which is tag sparring, basically one person tries to break your defense and the second they actually tag you properly, they then have to defend - you don't want to hurt the other person because when its their turn they could hurt you and vice versa. Good for footwork and speed.

Tragedies like this happen though, its unfortunate but its one of those things.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 31 Jul 2012, 6:19 pm

It is a sad case but properly controlled boxing can be safe. I dont have any statistics (and I cant be bothered to look) to back this statement up but I think other sports can equally or more dangerous.

I box and in the past have played rugby and football. Football is a bit of a sissy's game at the top level, but the unskilled games players regularly clash head, likewise with rugby I was forever taking my lumps and bumps, the only difference being I didnt have head protection.

Sparring should be monitored, full face and head protection (especially for underage boxers) and at least 16oz gloves should be worn.

Jabby - I dont see the point in using 12oz gloves and not going full out, why not use some 18oz and do some real fighting.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 01 Aug 2012, 2:10 pm

I've never been in a gym where sparring was easy, too much pride at stake.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:08 pm

16 is easily old enough for both sparring and competition. I would hazard a guess that this kid probably had some sort of defect/ brain abmormality, and this could have occurred playing football , rugby or any other sport. Disagree with Lumbering re. headguards- full face are terrible and limit your peripheral vision, they also make your head a bigger target. I used to wear the same headguard for sparring as for competitive bouts, as they prterct you from cuts / head clashes. I notice that they are considering getting rid of headguards for the next olympics, which is a good idea- put the extra padding on the gloves is you want to make it safer, the headguards don't protect your chin, get in the way of your eyes, increase the twist of your head when you are hit- they are more about making the sport look safer than actually doing any good to protect your brain.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:52 pm

This is boxing. Unfortunately tragedies happen. Common sense and correct safety equipment is all that is required.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:25 am

Personally I feel like I can take punches better without a headguard. Many times I feel like it should glance off, the punch instead connects fully with the guard, which has greater size and friction than my head and has more effect.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:56 am

I don't spar with a headguard either, they're rubbish, especially the ones with cheek protectors. If I wear headgear I wear an old BBE competition one (about 10mm thick), saying that though, I don't compete anymore, therefore getting cut (not that i do) is no great deal. However, If I'm coaching a session....everyone MUST wear headgear!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:14 am

Yeah, I can see that it's necessary for sparring because there's no point risking injury but for the three three minute rounds of amateur fights it just gets in the way.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

Sad, but like someone above said, it could have easily happened in any other sport, however it gets magnified with the sport being such a physically brutal sport.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:42 am

Of course head guards are required, and it is almost universally accepted that in prep for competition the more protection the better. If you get a decent brand your vision isnt affected, but you ability to avoid a broken nose and cuts is greatly enhanced.

If I spar with someone not wearing I head guard I make sure I dont go easy, and more often than not they are the ones battered and bruised at the end of it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:52 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

If I spar with someone not wearing I head guard I make sure I dont go easy, and more often than not they are the ones battered and bruised at the end of it.

You're just a raging human ball of testosterone Lumbering Jack.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

You're just a raging human ball of testosterone Lumbering Jack.

Well its obvious really. 2 people of equal (bad) ability. One with headguard, one without. Who is gonna be better off.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 02 Aug 2012, 11:30 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

You're my hero.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Kids and boxing Empty Kids and Boxing

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Of course head guards are required, and it is almost universally accepted that in prep for competition the more protection the better. If you get a decent brand your vision isnt affected, but you ability to avoid a broken nose and cuts is greatly enhanced.

Who are these people buying headguards with no eyeholes? if they're that stupi, they shouldn't be allowed to sweep the floors let alone get into the ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 02 Aug 2012, 4:17 pm

Hilarious.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 6:39 pm

I know, but not as hilarious as you telling us that you'd batter anyone with a headguard senseless in order to teach them a valuable lesson. How do you teach kids about the dangers of binge-drinking...get wasted and then shove a broken bottle in their face?

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

Putting bullies in the ring with their victims isn't the best idea in the world to be honest.
I know the argument is that the fitness side of it can encourage fitness and healthy living, but so can football, tennis ,rugby or athletics. To start boxing in schools one of these would have to be dropped due to limited time for sports, so I can't see the gain.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down