The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the best at putting people over?

+18
Liam
theundisputedY2D2
djcc2004
Adam D
RinoGattuso
NickisBHAFC
The Awesome Giz
Brady12
randy-poffo
VDT
Samo
Kay Fabe
Mr H
nasisillmatic
liverbnz
Stonee21
bretmeharty
UpsideDownFace
22 posters

Go down

Who is the best at putting people over? Empty Who is the best at putting people over?

Post by UpsideDownFace Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:15 am

After Mr H's comments on HHH and Nash in the 1991 thread I wondered who you guys thought was the best at putting people over?

Who made their opponents who they are today by letting them win at a big stage?

Who made their opponents looked strong and helped them gain respect from the other wrestlers and fans?

What matches in history do you think somebody had a great chance to be put over and never was?

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Who is the best at putting people over? Empty Re: Who is the best at putting people over?

Post by bretmeharty Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:16 am

Bret Hart

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Who is the best at putting people over? Empty Re: Who is the best at putting people over?

Post by Stonee21 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:23 am

For me the 3 best at putting people over were/are Angle, Y2J and HBK (excluding the 90's) as they were just so good in the ring that they knew just how to draw fans into their matches and get them truly interested in the outcome that when you saw the other guy win you actually sat back and would think "wow, that kids good".

Obviously you have HBK and Austin at Wrestlemania and Angle putting over Brock again at Wrsetlemania but Jericho is much harder really as he put over far to many people and has just never really been considered to be a top guy, in my opinion anyway.

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:24 am

The Rock put over Austin, HHH, Lesnar, Angle, Jericho and countless others.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:56 am

The Rock & Bret Hart

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:10 am

Chris Jericho has put so many people over that going over him nowadays doesnt give his opponent any major rub and isnt even a big deal.

For me the best is Shawn Michaels. Even if he won the match he'd still make his opponent look a million dollars, which leads back to the old saying of 'you dont have to go over to get over'. Even in the twilight of his career he was the master, he put Ric Flair over big time at Mania 24, he made Flair look gold. Not to mention the two matches against The Undertaker. Yes Taker could still go, but Michaels was the catalyst in turning those matches from being 'good' to 'great'.

Speaking of The Undertaker. Surely he has to be up there with the worst at putting anyone over? Maybe its something his character dictates, but he could give someone some major rub. Not necessarily at Wrestlemania though. Imagine what it'd do for someone like Punk or Sheamus if they went over Taker at Survivor Series. Taker used to use the motto of 'making someone famous' in the HIAC matches, well he literally could make someone famous by letting them go over him.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:23 am

Mick Foley for me, The Undertaker improved 100% after working with Foley, he was a main guy in establishing HHH as a guy with real potential in 97 then making him look the real deal as the main guy in 2000, he was also instrumental in helping Rock get over as the main heel in the WWF in late 98 early 99, his Mankind character was brilliant, he also had a good feud with Austin although he was well over by then, then when his career was long finished he puts Edge and Randy Orton over, for me Mankind/Cactus Jack has done more for the WWF/E Main Event scene than anyone else since I started watching

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:59 am

Im with gaffer, Foley for me. He made HHH, Rocky, Orton and Edge who they were.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:11 am

Completely forgot about Foley who is an excellent shout, definitely up there along with Angle and HBK for me.

Mr H agree about Jericho also, kind of shows what happens when you don't play backstage politics in order to look after your spot.

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:25 am

Steve Lombardi has put one or two over! Ha!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:27 am

Didn't taker put both Khali and Kozlov over clean when they both first started? Not his fault they were absolute rubbish.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:38 am

Taker only put Kozlov over so HBK could beat him so it looked like Shawn Michaels had a chance of ending the streak, Kozlov was well past it as a character by the time he went over Taker

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:54 am

Bret Hart and HBK for me. As H said HBK even if you lost made you look a million dollars. Never forget the match he had with Vader at Summerslam 1996 and had his work cut out in a match with a 400lber. He made Vader look outstanding despite having to work twice as hard. He put over Sid, Nash, Taker big guys and made them look superb.

Hart for me also put over people brilliantly. Look at Bulldog and Austin who had their career best matches with Hart. Again another one who made others look brilliant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:01 am

Taker made Lesnar the real deal.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:08 am

A lot of people overlook Bret Hart because he was so fiercely protective of his character but if you're not then you end up becoming Jericho when someone beating just doesn't matter

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:26 am

I'm going to throw Hogans name in. He might not have put over that many people in his time, but the times he did were memorable.
Firstly The Ultimate Warrior, at the the time the two biggest baby faces in wrestling, Hogans stock was starting to dwindle a bit, but he was far from past his best and still very much in his prime.
Then when returning to the WWE he put over The Rock in another passing the torch moment, followed by tapping out to Kurt Angle and Brock Lesner.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 6:14 am

Bret Hart without doubt..... Win lose or draw the opponent ALWAYS came off better after he'd been in the ring with The Hitman.

I remember a near 30 minute tv title defence against The 1-2-3 Kid. Who else would make such a believable superbly executed match against a green 180 pound Waltman

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Tue 31 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

Taker has put over a lot of wrestlers, or at least helped make them look better. The catch is that he always wins the fued eventually, mainly becuase his character typically has revenge. Lesnar is the only guy he's never won a fued with, with everyone else he has beaten them to end the fued however long it takes. Unlike Cena though, he does make the opponents look stronger (even Heindenriech), Cena just steam rolls everyone he faces by the fueds end.

Bret Hart and HBK are the other two I can think of. Though I'm sure Ziggler will eventually be added to that list.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

Rey was good last year e.g. Cody Rhodes and R Truth

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

Taker even let Maven eliminate him from the Rumble.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 31 Jul 2012, 9:31 pm

Taker also put Austin over a number of times.

Did Austin put anyone over?

Mick Foley is a great shout, I never realised just how good he made his opponent look.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:26 pm

How about Vince himself?

Beating him didnt exactly put anyone over for wrestling ability but every on screen feud he has had, resulted in him ultimately losing and elevating the opponent.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by djcc2004 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:40 pm

A bit off topic, but does anyone know the last time Taker actually lost a match?

djcc2004

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:41 pm

Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and Mick Foley.

In their prime (did HBK ever NOT have a prime?!) they made their opponents look like a million bucks whether they won or lost.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:45 pm

Ziggler has to be up there, he sells literally everything so well and is probably going to be one of the biggest stars WWE have ever had in my opinion.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:47 pm

Ziggler is a great seller no doubt but he could wind up in Chris Jericho territory if he's not careful.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:50 pm

djcc2004 wrote:A bit off topic, but does anyone know the last time Taker actually lost a match?

Bragging Rights 2010 v Kane

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm

Wrong Hero, he lost to his hoodie last week on RAW. Total squash.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 01 Aug 2012, 1:05 am

Incrediablly that bragging rights lost to Kane was acctually Undertakers 3rd match since this day.

Booker t always seems happy to put tallent over.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by User001 Wed 01 Aug 2012, 1:16 am

IRS and Papa Shango where always more than happy to put people over.

User001

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 01 Aug 2012, 1:22 am

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:
Ziggler is a great seller no doubt but he could wind up in Chris Jericho territory if he's not careful.

Sell monkey?

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Wed 01 Aug 2012, 1:41 am

Brooklyn Brawler

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 01 Aug 2012, 5:46 am

There is a massive difference between selling a move and putting people over

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 01 Aug 2012, 5:47 am

I don't think Ziggler has really put anybody over yet.

Am I the only one who thinks Ziggler is starting to play up to his reputation of selling and they're becoming more over the top?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:23 am

Crimey wrote:I don't think Ziggler has really put anybody over yet.

Am I the only one who thinks Ziggler is starting to play up to his reputation of selling and they're becoming more over the top?

I have thought this for a few weeks, I fear he is becoming a sell monkey.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down