The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sale Sharks Thread.

+12
DaveM
LondonTiger
beshocked
yappysnap
gowales
reallybored
MBTGOG
EST
formerly known as Sam
funnyExiledScot
Dim
Cumbrian
16 posters

Go down

Sale Sharks Thread. Empty Sale Sharks Thread.

Post by Cumbrian Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:20 pm

I am always a bit surprised how little discussion there is about Sale because as an interested outsider (A Newcastle and Northern rugby fan) it seems like an exciting time to be a Sale fan! Steve Diamond looks to have a vision for the club and is determined to tap the massive market of the central Lancashire region. They've started this by making a few big statements both on and off the pitch.

They've moved the club to a fantastic new RUGBY stadium in Salford. This can be seen in the Warrington vs. Huddersfield match: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/18853180. It is appropriate size for the club at the moment (12,000 capacity) but has been built with expansion in mind (Up to 20,000).

They've brought in a truly fantastic signing in Richie Gray, a coup that many didn't see coming. The signing of Danny Cipriani could also be a masterstroke. He can be mercurial on his day and if he can get Sale's exciting young back line moving, it could bode very well for the paying public. Bryan Redpath coming in as director of rugby should make a big difference, he did very well with Gloucester until the latter half of this season (When it became clear he was leaving).

This all seems to be paying off as back in April it was reported that the club had sold a record number of season tickets (I can't find the exact figure), which has got to be good news.

At times next season people will look at their team and decide that they have too many NEQ players on the pitch, but their academy is working over time and the young players are starting to come through with the likes of Henry Thomas, Will Addison and Tom Brady starting to make an impact.

Potential Team:

01. Eifion Lewis-Roberts
02. Joe Ward
03. Henry Thomas
04. Richie Gray
05. Keanan Myall
06. Hendre Fourie
07. Dave Seymour
08. Andy Powell

09. Dwayne Peel
10. Danny Cipriani

11. Tom Brady
12. Sam Tuitupou
13. Johnny Leota
14. Mark Cueto/ Will Addison
15. Rob Miller

Last edited by Cumbrian on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Sale Sharks Thread. Empty Re: Sale Sharks Thread.

Post by Dim Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:54 pm

My concern for Sale next year is a lack of grunt up front. No denying Gray is a fantastic player but I've always seen him catch the eye in the loose and not doing grunt in the tight. Myall i believe is also fairly lightweight although I may be wrong there. Thomas is very young for a prop and while with two 7s in the backrow the breakdown should go well i do worry about bulk/carrying. The backs depend on how Cipriani goes as I feel the centres are direct but lacking in subtlety.

I'm actually quite surprised by the players coming in as Steve Diamond struck me as a no nonsense sort of bloke who'd be more interested in hard workers, like Baxter is down at Exeter, than in stand outs like Richie Gray or mavericks like Cipriani.

It'll be interesting to watch but I feel they may finish towards the bottom of the mid-table scramble which is gong to be incredibly close this year.

Dim

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:11 pm

Cumbrian wrote:
Potential Team:

01. Eifion Lewis-Roberts
02. Joe Ward
03. Henry Thomas
04. Richie Gray
05. Keanan Myall
06. Hendre Fourie
07. Dave Seymour
08. Andy Powell

09. Dwayne Peel
10. Danny Cipriani

11. Tom Brady
12. Sam Tuitupou
13. Johnny Leota
14. Mark Cueto/ Will Addison
15. Rob Miller

I'd personally have Fourie at 7 and Gaskell at 6 (harsh on Seymour I know). May also consider MacKenzie ahead of Myall at 5.

Sale are my dark horses for next season. Outside chance of a top 4 finish. Strong front five, potentially awesome half back combination and the extremely impressive Rob Miller attacking from the back. Shouldn't be disrupted by the internationals much either.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:26 pm

I've got to disagree on the Gaskell over Seymour call. Seymour was Sale's best player last season a real stand out and he led an unfancied team to the HEC qualification spots. I'd not drop him for a lightweight blindside who offers nothing more outside of the lineout and in fact considerably less in terms of tackling and breakdown skills.

Grunt up front was a pretty constant worry for Sale last year but they never really seemed to suffer that much from it. Roberts and Gray will only add bulk to what was there already and in the likes of Powell, Vernon, MacKenzie and Easter there is more mass to bring into the squad.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

I was also a bit surprised about the lack of coverage Sale have been getting considering the two big signings they have made, the move to a new ground, and a new coaching team. Maybe this is a good thing and will allow them to fly under the radar slightly?

From a Scottish perspective I also think they have the future Scotland second row pairing in Fraser Mackenzie and Richie Gray, looking forward to see if that develops.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:52 pm

The new stadium could be the most important thing that happens to them this season. It's a wider and longer pitch which shan't restrict their attacking capabilities so much.

From looking at the squad, they are lacking a little depth in the backs but this is a team that certainly looks on the up and could be challenging for much bigger honours in 2-3 years.

I hope they take a game outside of the Salford stadium though. Bolton worked well and if they put in a lot of effort, they could even go to the Etihad at some point.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

How'd Vernon get on last year?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

The Russian lock Ostrikov has been a good signing i've heard

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:36 pm

What happened to the young prop Imiolek? He was in the U20's with Marler but seems to have vanished. He'd add plenty of power to that tight 5

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 20 Jul 2012, 5:00 pm

Played 9 times for them in the league last season. He's like most modern young props in that he's good in the loose but can have bad days in the scrum.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 20 Jul 2012, 5:15 pm

It's very obvious but Cipriani is one of the key figures. Will we see the Cipriani who was excellent at full back vs Leicester in HC final and who tore Ireland to shreds at fly half?

Or will we see the fly half who gave the opposition charge downs in 4 consecutive matches and was so defensively weak he makes ROG look like a god in defence?

It's a XV with potential to be good but you can say that about virtually all sides in the AP.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:45 am

Imiolek is young and will take time to adjust to full seasons at this level. Good back up though. I think Henry Thomas is the type of player they need to build the club around.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:41 am

I was actually disappointed with Sale last year, having looked atthe squad they had built expected more. (Not so much in position in table but performances).

The league divided into 3 groups. The top 5 who were fighting for the play-offs and title, the next 5 who were seeking the last HC spot and the bottom 2.

Sale won the 6th place bun fight, but against the Top 4 they were seriously disappointing. The second half against Tigers back in November was incompetent.

There have been some good signings, and few players will be lost to internationals. I just expect other teams to improve more.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

I'm not sure there is a Sale fan on the forum, which probably explains the lack of coverage they get here.

Redpath is a bit of a gamble - Gloucester's form went well before he announced he was leaving and he has said they basically stopped responding to him. Still, we'll see.

I'd go with:

01. Eifion Lewis-Roberts
02. Joe Ward
03. Henry Thomas
04. Richie Gray
06: Fraser Mackenzie
06. Keanan Myall
07. Hendre Fourie
08. Andy Powell

09. Dwayne Peel
10. Danny Cipriani

11. Mark Cueto
12. Sam Tuitupou
13. Will Addison
14. Tom Brady
15. Rob Miller

Maybe a breakthrough season for Jennings? They'll be gutted to have lost Bell. Imolek spent most of last season on a conditioning programme trying to put on bulk as I understand it. Not sure if he'll make it or not.

It will be really interesting to see how much game time Gaskell gets. Coaches seem to love him.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 22 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

DaveM wrote:I'm not sure there is a Sale fan on the forum, which probably explains the lack of coverage they get here.

Redpath is a bit of a gamble - Gloucester's form went well before he announced he was leaving and he has said they basically stopped responding to him. Still, we'll see.

I'd go with:

01. Eifion Lewis-Roberts
02. Joe Ward
03. Henry Thomas
04. Richie Gray
06: Fraser Mackenzie
06. Keanan Myall
07. Hendre Fourie
08. Andy Powell

09. Dwayne Peel
10. Danny Cipriani

11. Mark Cueto
12. Sam Tuitupou
13. Will Addison
14. Tom Brady
15. Rob Miller

Maybe a breakthrough season for Jennings? They'll be gutted to have lost Bell. Imolek spent most of last season on a conditioning programme trying to put on bulk as I understand it. Not sure if he'll make it or not.

It will be really interesting to see how much game time Gaskell gets. Coaches seem to love him.

Perhaps, they don't appear to have a massive amount of experienced cover at centre. As far as I can see it's:

Johnny Leota
Sam Tuitupou

Will Addison
Mark Jennings
Jordan Davies

I hope they don't bring in any journey men, these lads could prove themselves this year.

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:49 pm

Cumbrian wrote:

Perhaps, they don't appear to have a massive amount of experienced cover at centre.

It was rather ironic that Redpath tried to sign Tindall for Sale, a player he deemed surplus to requirements at Glaws.

I do think Sale could well end up being like Glaws over the last few years. Brilliant on their day, but also capable of having nightmare games. I do feel their front row isn't amazing - Thomas has definite potential, but I feel he's still a bit lightweight in the scrum - and this set piece could cause them issues. Still not convinced by DC. I watched quite a few Rebels games and I saw nothing to suggest his game has improved since leaving, notably I feel his game management and defence is just too inconsistent.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:37 am

Like FES, I think Sale could have a very good season. Their squad is starting to look strong, but a lot depends on the flair of Cipriani and his play making ability. Tom Brady looked excellent in the 7s recently, and I expect him to have a big season.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

DaveM wrote:I'm not sure there is a Sale fan on the forum, which probably explains the lack of coverage they get here.

I'm not a fan, though I live in Cheshire and have close links to Sale but I will be going along to Salford to watch a few games in comfort this season. Edgeley is dire and Heywood Rd is worse. About time they have come to the party but it took a league team to get the ground built!

Anyway, not sure about Sale regardless of the 'promise' people talk about. Still look 2nd rate to me but it will be interesting. I thought my Hurricanes looked 2nd rate at the start of the season but they proved me wrong!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:35 pm

Sale are my Aviva team. Mostly because they have (had) a lot of Welshmen in the squad and they are the underdog a lot of the time.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

gowales wrote:Sale are my Aviva team. Mostly because they have (had) a lot of Welshmen in the squad and they are the underdog a lot of the time.

Did you start supporting them because of Dewi Morris?? Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by JAM204 Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:23 pm

Big seasons for Lee Imiolek and Henry Thomas. If they can be adequate in the tight then they will push for international honours.

Yes we are short on depth in the backs. We are looking for a centre which will probably see Addison cover wing where we only have Cueto, Brady and Amesbury currently. Jennings will be a superstar for England U20s this season but will probably go to Leeds for the season on loan with Tommy Taylor (hooker), Ross Harrison (prop) and Will Bordill (flanker).

Sale Squad 2012/3

1. Roberts, Imiolek, Dickinson
2. Ward, Jones, Taylor, Hafu
3. Thomas, Buckley, Cobilas, Harrison
4. Gray, Mackenzie, Holmes
5. Myall, Ostrikov
6. Gaskell, Vernon, Bordill
7. Fourie, Seymour
8. Powell, Easter
9. Peel, Cliff, Willis
10. Cipriani, Macleod
11. Cueto, Addison
12. Tuitupou, Davies
13. Leota, Jennings
14. Brady, Amesbury
15. Miller

JAM204

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:25 am

http://www.salesharks.com/RugbyNewsDetail/article/2890456/name/Seven%20tries%20as%20Sharks%20sizzle%20in%20Sale%20sunshine

Sale Sharks 49-27 Glasgow Warriors

A second half blitz in glorious sunshine saw Sale Sharks convincingly beat an enterprising Glasgow Warriors side in Mark Cueto's Testimonial match. With 45 minutes played, the sides were one point apart, but the gradual introduction of the Sharks' bench, including Richie Gray, Dwayne Peel and Danny Cipriani, had a massive impact.

A cautious start saw Sharks defending well against some bright Glasgow attacks. The home side tried a couple of lineout drives, using the considerable presence of props Lewis-Roberts and Buckley. In reply, Warriors prop Reid produced a telling burst in which the Sharks infringed, allowing Jackson to open the scoring with a 12th minute penalty. The lead changed hands just three minutes later. The ball was sent along the line, with Leota and Gaskell making inroads to send over Vernon, wide on the left, for the opening try against his former club. Macleod converted.

Twenty two minutes of aggressive play in the sunshine followed, with no further scoring. Gaskell was dangerous out wide, then Miller continued to probe the gaps in the Glaswegian defence. Skipper Seymour threatened on the left wing but was baulked, then Brady was vicitim of a cruel bounce which allowed Dunbar to mount a raid. Poor handling by the visitors averted further danger. Brady popped up at the other end, chasing hard, and Macleod hit a post with the Sharks' only penalty attempt at goal.

Glasgow mounted a string of four close quarter attacks near the home line, which were well defended and cleared, allowing Eifion 'The Fridge' to produce a characteristic midfield burst, well appreciated by the crowd. Visiting captain Fusaro scythed through with a swerving run. The initial danger was averted by a Leota tackle but the ball was worked left for fullback Murchie to crash over under the sticks. Jackson converted and the score with three minutes of the first half left was 7-10.

Sharks had the final say on the stroke of half time. Following a lineout, a decisive run by fly half Macleod through the middle set up the supporting Brady for a try. The provider converted to leave the scoreboard showing 14-10 at the break. Richie Gray was an interval replacement, but his former team mate Jackson narrowed the gap to a single point five minutes after the re-start. Pressure from the Sharks' forwards led to a close range try on 50 minutes from Tony Buckley, which Macleod converted. Both players were promptly replaced, signalling the entry of Danny Cipriani, who after a strong opening pass to Leota, became increasingly influential and combined well with scrum half Peel.

Two further Sharks' tries followed within the next ten minutes. Some superbly agile running from Amesbury set up a popular try for captain David Seymour, but three minutes later followed the try of the match, on the hour, from Miller. A step and a stride quickly saw the fullback under the posts with just an hour played. He converted both of these tries.

Glasgow hit back with a clinical try from Tommy Seymour, Wight drop kicking the conversion, but on 69 minutes a quick tap penalty almost saw Peel over. The stay of execution was brief, with the ball worked right for an Uys try, Miller converting. An enterprising game, with errors and effort - a typical pre-season match, it could be said - carried on with a Horne try for the Warriors on 76 minutes, converted by Wight, but in the game's final phase, Peel got his due reward following superb offloads by Addison and Miller in the build up. Miller added the conversion.

Scoring (Sharks first) 0-3, 7-3, 7-10, 14-10 (Half Time) 14-13, 21-13, 28-13, 35-13, 35-20, 42-20, 42-27, 49-27.

Scorers:

Sale Sharks - Tries Vernon, Brady, Buckley, D.Seymour, Miller, Uys, Peel. Cons. Macleod (3), Miller (4)

Glasgow Warriors - Tries Murchie, T.Seymour, Horne. Cons. Jackson, Wight (2). Pens. Jackson (2)

Sale Sharks team: 15.Rob Miller, 14.Charlie Amesbury, 13.Will Addison, 12.Johnny Leota, 11.Tom Brady, 10.Nick Macleod, 9.Cillian Willis, 1.Eifion Lewis-Roberts, 2.Joe Ward, 3.Tony Buckley, 4.Fraser McKenzie, 5.James Gaskell, 6.Mark Easter, 7.David Seymour (capt.), 8.Richie Vernon.

Reps. Marc Jones for Ward, Vadim Cobilas for Buckley, Aston Croall (not used), Ross Harrison for Lewis-Roberts, Richie Gray for Gaskell, Tom Holmes for McKenzie, James Doyle for Gray, Dwayne Peel for Willis, Danny Cipriani for Macleod, Jordan Davies for Amesbury, Corne Uys for Brady, Charlie Ingall (not used).
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

Yes we are short on depth in the backs

Uys and Shepherd should help bulk out the squad depth in that department.

Good result against Glasgow though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down