The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the greatest full back of all time?

+18
emack2
ML
navyblueshorts
Glas a du
Shifty
Ramilas1
wales606
Jenks
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Gaelic-Warrior
Mickado
Davie
Draigoch
Mad for Chelsea
B91212
Dominic Dicoco
Adam D
22 posters

Go down

greatest full back ever?

Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap0%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap0%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap4%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap4%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap2%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap2%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap33%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 16 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap35%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 17 ]
Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_lcap17%Who is the greatest full back of all time? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 8 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 48

Who is the greatest full back of all time? Empty Who is the greatest full back of all time?

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:30 pm

Following on from the other "greatest ever" series, we now reach the full back position.

Often the last line of defence, the fullback needs to be a good tackler with safe hands and a fair bit of pace. They also need to be able to come into the line to create space and overlaps.

Some of the greatest ever characters have played in this position, so for me at least, it will be the most interesting poll.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Who is the greatest full back of all time? Empty Re: Who is the greatest full back of all time?

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:33 pm

JPR Williams for me with Hastings 2nd. Not sure I'd have Byrne or Kearney on that list at all!

Back to top Go down

Who is the greatest full back of all time? Empty Re: Who is the greatest full back of all time?

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:35 pm

I put them on at the last minute!

I voted JPR as well - he was the first player I can remember seeing when I was a child. Those sideburns still give me nightmares running towards me!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

I voted for Cullen. What a player! Not as good in defence as JPR, but he more than makes up for it with ball in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0945lQKP7I&feature=related

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:15 pm

Never saw JPR Williams so couldn't vote for him although everyone I know who was lucky enough to watch that era tell me he was the best. Went for Blanco just from Cullen.

(Byrne & Kearney included? walks away muttering under his breath.....)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:27 pm

I never saw JPR play unfortunately, so for me it has to be between Blanco and Cullen.

Cullen takes it, just.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:43 pm

You can't possibly have Kearney and Byrne without Mils...this is madness!

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:09 pm

Cullen for me.
Not just because of his legendary status for the all blacks, but this guy also scored for fun.
A great defence combined with a lethal attack makes him the best in my book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:43 pm

Dusty Hare anyone?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:32 pm

Surely it's Isa Nacewa! Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=528HoWAprvo

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:39 pm

Never seen JPR play, but obviously know he was a great part of the legendary 70's Welsh side. As a biased Scotland fan I'll say Gavin Hastings, the record points scorer for the British & Irish Lions. 8)
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:31 am

Has to be Ken Scotland - he completely transformed the fullback position - he was the first fullback to actually come in to the line - seems almost laughable now, but changed the game

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:51 pm

As, small point of order, George Nepia was being criticised (?!) for coming into the line in the '20s. It took a while to catch on.

Nepia was also taught how to spiral punt by Mormon missionaries from the US, but somehow no-one in NZ asked him to teach them how and the art disappeared from (NZ) rugby for decades
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:22 pm

how can you have lee byrne and rob kearney on here when they are not the best fullback of their generation. Mils Muliaina is better than both of them

Jenks

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:35 pm

Sorry about the inclusion of those two - I pulled two names out of the air.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

Mils should be on the list - best fullback for this generation
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramilas1 Fri 15 Apr 2011, 6:29 pm

A close call between JPR or Serge, while Cullen was a light that shone brightly but not for long enough.

Serge Blanco gets the vote simply because he was the one that made it all look so easy - a sort of rugby version of Muhammad Ali, but without the brash showmanship off the field.
Ramilas1
Ramilas1

Location : Warsaw, Poland; formerly Bracknell, Loughborough, Bordon, several others - and Ireland originally

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 29 Apr 2011, 9:48 pm

I would of gone for David Campese if he'd been on the list he played the for New South Wales and only played wing for Australia because the coach at the time loved 3 fullbacks in his team.

My Second choice would of been Englands Jason Robinson he was phenominal! Though hes not on the list either.

My third choice would of been Andre Joubert from South Africa during the early 90's. He was probably the most skillful and silky Full Back of all time. I'm assuming whomever made this poll hasnt watched rugby much because he's missed out most of the best ones!

My 4th choice is Cullen so I will pick him!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 02 May 2011, 7:40 am

Blanco for me because I saw him play. However choosing between him and the penny muncher, what a lovely position to be in.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 08 May 2011, 9:07 pm

Cullen. Outstanding.

JPR a decent second.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sun 08 May 2011, 11:05 pm

Much as my heart says JPR or Serge Blanco, it is Cullen by a country mile. The guy at his best was almost incredible. Fast, strong, could tackle, kick, catch but even if he was merely World Class in these aspects of the game, his running lines were phenomenal,almost superhuman. Not just once or twice in a game but almost every time his side had the ball.

He raised the bar for every attacking fullback in the game to such a level that no-one has yet come close to equalling him.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 19 May 2011, 9:18 am

Again matters of opinion A.C Wallace ,of the All Black Originals,Gerhard Morkel,in 1921,George Nepia 1925-28,a Legue legend as well.R.W.H "great"Scott one of THE best attacking full backs ever as well as all the others.Fergie mcCormack for a timr in the late 1960`s.Gerry Brand1930`s.
Mils Muliana currently.NO NH full back any where near THE best,i`ve seen,But JJ.P.R Williams,Gavin Hastings,John Wilcox,and Tom Kiernan would be among them.Of course there is only a matter of opinion,but I have at least watched most on the list.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by EggbertEnglishman Thu 26 May 2011, 9:38 pm

Chris Cullen followed by Blanco and JPR Williams. Of today's full backs Mils Muliaina and the Rob Kearney of the Lions tour 2009 are/were world class. I also remember Terry Davies of Wales, Ken Scotland of Scotland, and Michel Vannier of France being class acts. No doubt Cullen was the greatest ever.

EggbertEnglishman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 26 May 2011, 9:48 pm

Terry Davies would have been right up there if he hadn't gone North. He scored a try for Llanelli on debut when he was 15. Later on, after his RL career he went to the NFL as a goal kicker. Absolute genius and a tragedy that he died so young.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 27 May 2011, 8:30 am

I'm glad Andy Irvine was included among the candidates, even though I voted for JPR. A full back should have an eye for when a counter-attack is on - someone should remind Lee Byrne of that - and Irvine was a great counter-attacking full back.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SB Fri 27 May 2011, 10:25 am

My candidate would have to be the great Serge Blanco.

Flair, panache and unfortunate to probably be 5 years too late as he would've played with one of the best French sides ever in the late 70s or early 80s.
SB
SB

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Fri 27 May 2011, 10:33 am

Andy Irvine was clas in his day and so too was Thomas Castaignede.

Can't for the life of me think why Rob Kearney is on this list. 🤦

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down