The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seve @ Lytham '79 Video Clip

3 posters

Go down

Seve @ Lytham '79 Video Clip Empty Seve @ Lytham '79 Video Clip

Post by ronin47 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:47 am

The BBC site has a nice short video clip of Seve winning The Open at Lytham in 1979.

Copy & Paste

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18844311

enjoy

Last edited by ronin47 on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : taking link out)
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Seve @ Lytham '79 Video Clip Empty Re: Seve @ Lytham '79 Video Clip

Post by ScottieD18 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

I was there for all 7 days in 1979. 15 years old and Seve as my hero and he won his first major. Doesn't get any better.

I got to play Lytham 6 years later in last year at Uni. Unreal experience playing a course for the first time when you know it almost as well as your home course.

We're down visitng relations in Manchester this week so plan to take the two boys across on Thursday. Weather forecast not the best, but it will still be great to see the course 33 years after the first visit.

A true story from playing the course in 1985. We got to the par 3 12th. Tee surounded by small trees and shrubs. A pheasant passed by. One of the four ball went after it into the undergrown with three or four clubs in hand. We heard a "whee - ####### missed it", "whee - ###### missed it, whee - ###### got it". He came out with the bird hanging by the ankles. Within a few moments he realised what he'd done and we all felt really bad.
He and I were playing together in the evening match against the members. We got the the 12th hole. I went for a winf up. I said to the members how nice it was to see such varied wildlife, including the pheasants. Oh yes, came the replay. We have invested a lot of money introducing the pheasants. I don't think my partner made another par that evening.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

I played it about 10 years ago in an industry competition.

I'd read so much about the back nine being hard, and having to hang on to your score as you won't improve it down the stretch.

As it transpired, there was an easterly gale blowing - a local guy said he'd never known the wind so strong in that direction. Consequently, the front nine was really tough, and the back nine pretty easy.

I drove it into a greenside bunker at the 18th. Some of the guys drove it through the green, up against the clubhouse, I think it was 380 yards off the tee we played.

I finished 3rd with 31 points, of which 11 came on the front nine.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down