The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peterson stripped by WBA

+8
PPVxHOTTY
azania
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
Seanusarrilius
paperbag_puncher
owen10ozzy
Union Cane
12 posters

Go down

Peterson stripped by WBA Empty Peterson stripped by WBA

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

Alleged drugs cheat Lamont Peterson has been stripped of the WBA light-welterweight title, which has been declared vacant and will awarded to the winner of the upcoming Amir Khan / Danny Garcia fight. About time too.

No word from the IBF yet though...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Peterson stripped by WBA Empty Re: Peterson stripped by WBA

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:06 pm

Timothy Bradley has also vacated the WBO version, could Khan soon be undisputed?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:08 pm

Union Cane wrote:Timothy Bradley has also vacated the WBO version, could Khan soon be undisputed?

The WBO will promote interim champion Marquez to full champion.

Khan vs Marquez next?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:11 pm

We could well have...I would assume that IBF will follow suit (they wouldnt want to seem to lose face to the WBA)....and am I right in saying the WBC is on the line?....

Anyone know the WBO rankings at the moment?...that could concievably be put up if both are ranked highly enough and golden boy are willing to stump up the fee?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:14 pm

Union Cane wrote:

No word from the IBF yet though...

Surely they'll have to follow suit? Has Khan said whether he's moving up to WW after this fight or not? The Ring still have Peterson at no.2 in their LWW rankings for some reason..

Marquez Vs Khan is a great fight. Some think Khan's size and speed would be too much for Marquez but I wouldn't be too sure.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:15 pm

Scratch that...just checked and neither are even ranked top 10 by the WBO....

But still would assume three of the four belts will be on the line for Khan.,question is would he stick around for one more fight at Light Welterweight against Marquez to Unify?!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:18 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Scratch that...just checked and neither are even ranked top 10 by the WBO....

The governing bodies don't rank each others champions!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:51 pm

Ha, did think about that after i'd posted. Long day at work Union...that combined with now running the OMPL...im on the verge of burnout!...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME Smile

I can't see Khan sticking around after the Garcia fight. If all 3 belts are on the line and he wins then I would think he will be of thinking that his business at 140 is sorted.

Whilst he wont be undisputed champion he would sit atop the tree with 3 belts...and I think he will use the theory that he could have been undisputed had Bradley stepped upto the plate 18 odd months ago.

I just cant see him sticking around at LWW....although a fight with Marquez would be good and I would suggest could draw a good crowd. (Also think it's a fight that Khan wins rather handidly...and I rate Marquez alot).

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Jun 2012, 6:15 pm

Is Khans last fight not going to be a NC. Surely if Peterson admitted to using them before they fought then it's a NC?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm

Seanusarrilius - Still no word on that fight yet. I would have thought they would have overturned it by now if they were going too...but then again im not even sure when Peterson's 'appeal' if you can call it that is set to take place.....

That incident has kind of been lost what with Berto then Tarver failing...personally we should line them all up and lynch the scum!! (slightly harsh I know...but then again im so annoyed with whats happening to this sport sometime's im left thinking this is the only way to sort it)...

But to go back to your question....i cant see how they can't not overturn the decision based on the fact he had a positive test BEFORE the 1st fight...but the commision allowed him to box on the basis that it was only slightly positive...and they would await the results of the 'B' sample. Quite how he got away with that I'll never know...but again it goes to show that whilst we can condone their actions...until others take responsibility nothing is going to be done.

This incident more than any other shows that if their is money to be made people will cut all corners. The man should never have stepped foot into the ring that night...yet he somehow did...putting a persons life on the line in the process.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 28 Jun 2012, 6:59 pm

IBF got a vested interest in peterson I think

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Seanusarrilius - Still no word on that fight yet. I would have thought they would have overturned it by now if they were going too...but then again im not even sure when Peterson's 'appeal' if you can call it that is set to take place.....

That incident has kind of been lost what with Berto then Tarver failing...personally we should line them all up and lynch the scum!! (slightly harsh I know...but then again im so annoyed with whats happening to this sport sometime's im left thinking this is the only way to sort it)...

But to go back to your question....i cant see how they can't not overturn the decision based on the fact he had a positive test BEFORE the 1st fight...but the commision allowed him to box on the basis that it was only slightly positive...and they would await the results of the 'B' sample. Quite how he got away with that I'll never know...but again it goes to show that whilst we can condone their actions...until others take responsibility nothing is going to be done.

This incident more than any other shows that if their is money to be made people will cut all corners. The man should never have stepped foot into the ring that night...yet he somehow did...putting a persons life on the line in the process.

just don't see that there can be any kind of argument whatsover with regards the NC. He took an illegal drug before the fight. That's it as far as I am concerned

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

If Khan beats Garcia and holds the WBA, WBC and IBF titles with Marquez being the WBO champion, I really can't see him turning that fight down especially with the money and prestige it will bring. It's a sure fire way of getting a fight with Mayweather, a fighter holding all four belts is so rare the money will soon follow with the style he fights with.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

You do raise a good point Imperial....

However if he fights Marquez there is the chance he loses and that scuppers the bought with Mayweather.

If Khan takes out Garcia and holds all 3 belts he does in a way have the right to say he cleaned up the division..(since Bradley dropped the belt & Marquez will pick it up on the basis of being interim-champion in waiting...effectively he hasnt won it the ring)....

Khan can beat Garcia...say he is the first since Hatton to hold the majority of propostion of the belts in LWW division...step up and take an easing in/guaranteed victory at Wleterweight (Malignaggi I would think as he has the WBA) title...he then gets the Mayweather fight...big payday...huge opportunity...and he goes to the table as the 'recognised' best light welterweight and 2 weight world champion.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:16 pm

I don't think holding three of the belts will see him recognized as the best light welterweight in the world, he needs to beat one of the big names at the weight before he can lay claim to that. He has a good record but a win over someone like Rios, Guerrero or Marquez would propel him massively. There's a chance he loses to Marquez but with all due respect to Khan he has a lot of confidence in his ability so don't think that would deter him, also getting one over on his stablemate would be a huge boost to him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:21 pm

Yeh my belief is that he should need to beat Marquez...but we know thats not how it works.

The fact is he has already beaten some of the top names in the division...the likes of Rios & Guerro etc are either just coming through or coming upto the weight. The one person who was around with Khan who laid claim to being the best didnt take the fight & dissapeared to WW....

I actually think Khan will want the Marquez fight...however I think Goldenboy & Roach will steer him towards an immediate step up against one of the smaller names/beltholders at WW..and then onto Mayweather.

The problem is Khan has always said he wants to have a fight at WW before taking on Mayweather...if he was to fight Marquez then that puts the Mayweather fight a further 6 months behind....and Mr Money may not be around that much longer.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

Have to agree with Imperial - Khan isnt a guy to avoid the tough challenges although it seemed like it at one point - he did what Hatton and Calzaghe should have done and left Warren early to go after the big fights. I also get the feeling that he could and probably would beat Marquez - he's big and fast and has enough to beat Marquez comfortably at this stage. I think he'd be best of going after Mayweather straight after that fight if it should come about and he emerge victorious. Khan has the frame for it and the step up may increase both his resistance and the authority of his punches - and you don't want mayweather to grow old overnight as can happen for inexplicable reasons. Think in the very unlikely event that Mayweather should lose it will be tainted by his prison stay.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

Yeh Shah like i said...I dont question that Khan wouldn't want it...in fact I think he will be begging for it...like Imperial said...very few 'undisputed' champions in boxing...in fact am I right in thinking Lewis was the last?....

I just cant help but feel that Goldenboy will tell him to go to WW after the Garcia fight....beat one of easy belt holders i.e. Malignaggi repeat for a portion of the titles then meet Mayweather.

You have to think from a financial stand point venturing to the Marquez fight makes little sense in the fact there is a huge amount at risk....he loses the fight and he will most definitly not get the Mayweather fight....

I actually dont think Khan v Marquez will do much better (not enough to warrant it) numbers than Khan v anyone at Welterweight (i.e. Malignaggi, Jones, Bailey etc)...so from that perspective Goldenboy will think well why take it.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

The chance of beating the great Juan Manuel Marquez for all four belts will be too good an opportunity to turn down, golden boy will see the $'s while Roach will want to finally get a decisive win over him. Can also guarantee that Marquez would jump at the chance to fight Khan, he's a fighting man who would have a shot at history.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

There have only ever been two undisputed champions in the four belt era, Hopkins and then the man who beat him Taylor. Hamed and Calzaghe should have held all four but boxing politics got in the way.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

Cheers for that Ghosty...little bit of boxing knowledge added to my brain their..

Do you really think that Marquez will be that great a PPV name to make the risk worth it?

I dont know the numbers he does but I cant imagine its massive outside of his bouts with Money & Pacman...

And whilst I am a fan of Khan I dont think he is that big a draw to make huge numbers in the US yet so I just see any fight he is in will do roughly the same numbers...

Even if he makes say £5 million against Marquez...the fact is he could make a couple of million in an easier fight then take on Mayweather...

He takes Marquez and loses then bye bye £10 million plus payday against Mayweather...

Like i've said I dont think it wont happen for want of Khan not wanting it...because I think he will want it knowing it adds to his legacy...but at the same time when we are talking those kinds of numbers for the bank account it would be hard not to see those around him steer him towards the easier route..

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:41 pm

Well goldenboy were happy enough to try and put Khan in with Bradley and rest assured Marquez brings far more money to the table than him so don't think the risk/reward is lesser than previous options.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:51 pm

Hmmm im not sure....I can see where your coming from but you have to remember the Bradley fight was spoken of almost 18 months ago now. At the time while Mayweather was on the radar..realistically he was still a fair few fights away...

This time around he knows he is probably possibly one (Garcia)...maximum 2 fights away from Mayweather....

It is now a far bigger risk to take in my eyes...and I think it will be in Goldenboys.

Khan has been given a stroke of fortune with the fact Peterson failed the drugs test because now people dont hold the loss against him and he is right up their with the biggest names in the division....

Like I said im not sure what numbers Marquez does...I may have to go research but like I said I dont think they are high enough to really warrant taking him over a 'bedding into the new weight' opponent/fight up at Welterweight...

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:40 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:The chance of beating the great Juan Manuel Marquez for all four belts will be too good an opportunity to turn down, golden boy will see the $'s while Roach will want to finally get a decisive win over him. Can also guarantee that Marquez would jump at the chance to fight Khan, he's a fighting man who would have a shot at history.

Maybe so, but if the target is Floyd, he better hurry up as I don't think Floyd will be fighting for long. Another 12 months tops.

Khan doesn't need JMM. That would be an easy fight for him and more importantly I dont think JMM will want it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm

In terms of the NC is it true that only the athletic commission has the power to overturn the decision and not the WBA.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:48 pm

Good point. I would have thought that if the WBA stripped Lamont of the title, the fight would be a NC and the title reverting back to Khan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:51 pm

The title will be given to the winner of Khan or Garcia, and I was wondering because they taken the belts but I'm certain a sanctioning body cannot overturn it to NC only the athletic commission can.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 29 Jun 2012, 12:17 am

I don't have a clue who can turn it into a NC.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 29 Jun 2012, 3:52 am

Marquez has pretty much fought whoever there is to fight (Morales maybe?). I dont think hes a fighter who distinguishes. Khan deserves the belts after Petersen but I fully expect Marquez to offer an argument for the position.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

ShahenshahG wrote:IBF got a vested interest in peterson I think

The man in the hat?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

That has a slight thing to do with it (in hindsight it looks worse but he was there for a reason and his subsequent cowpat reason makes it look more fishy. Am of the opinion he's just an idiot) but its more to do with how quickly they shut down both Khans appeal and the subsequent refusal to strip Peterson almost before the suggestion was touted. Then they came out with a more reasonable statement saying they would wait for the outcome. Now WBA have already stripped Peterson and IBF havent said a word about it since. Jut get the feeling Peterson was going to be what Chavez jr is to the WBC - a great story a lot of money can be made out of. Theres no concrete evidence and the circumstantial is vague as well.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

You guys are all counting your chickens before they hatch, I don't think Khan will beat Garcia!

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 29 Jun 2012, 4:45 pm

if he wins the other belts i dont think he'll even bother about the wbo for a second.
surely the fight should be turned into a no contest if the ibf agree with the wba

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 01 Jul 2012, 2:46 pm

It's totally ludicrous. The guy even admitted to juicing and it's taken them this long to strip him. What will the IBF keep him as champ I wonder? Perhaps if there's enough money in it the IBF will turn a deaf year to thew juicing and let him carry on as a dirty champion. I don;t post on here as much anymore as my love of boxing has diminished. Too many robberies, juicing, fake titles and farcical matchups (eg. Haye/Chisora) have ruined the sport.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down