The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only 1 prop in entire Munster Academy

+10
Jenifer McLadyboy
robbo277
Rory_Gallagher
sheephead
profitius
Feckless Rogue
asoreleftshoulder
LordDowlais
formerly known as Sam
red_stag
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Only 1 prop in entire Munster Academy Empty Only 1 prop in entire Munster Academy

Post by red_stag Wed 27 Jun - 16:09

I have to say I find this really really worrying.

Academy Year 1: Ryan Murphy (flanker), Jack O'Donoghue (flanker), Jonathan Holland (flyhalf), Darren Moroney (fullback), James Rael (hooker), Brian Haugh (scrumhalf(

Academy Year 2: Shane Buckley (backrow), Duncan Casey (hooker), James Cronin (prop), Cian Bohane (centre), Phillip Donnellan (second row), Niall Scannell (hooker), Cathal O'Flaherty (flanker)

Academy Year 3: Brian Hayes (second row), Corey Hircock (centre), Ronan O'Mahony (winger)

I am really worried that in the entire Munster Academy we have just 1 prop. By contrast there are three hookers.

We have some Irish props being developed in the senior team - Cotter, Kilcoyne, Archer, Condon. But these guys are 24/25 years old. In fact Condon is 31 years old - way too late to start developing him.

I hope in time we see some of the backrows or hookers trying to start moving to prop.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Only 1 prop in entire Munster Academy Empty Re: Only 1 prop in entire Munster Academy

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 27 Jun - 16:19

Depends on their age and size. Dan Cole was playing number 8 all the way up to I think under 16s. Tom Youngs didn't convert to a hooker until his 20s and Mulipola was apparently playing 8 as recently as before the RWC (he's a 20 stone Samoan prop Tigers picked up last season) imagine him coming off the back of the scrum and running at you!

Surely the Munster academy will be able to lay their hands on some more big lads, honouring their fixtures with only one prop may be an issue.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Only 1 prop in entire Munster Academy Empty Re: Only 1 prop in entire Munster Academy

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun - 17:50

Only one, never mind I am sure there are some young South Africans looking to become part of some sort of project. ONLY JOKING, please don't tar and feather me. Hug

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 27 Jun - 17:54

Why be a troll?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun - 17:57

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Why be a troll?

I am not trolling, I am having a laugh, come on I was saying it with my tongue firmly in my cheek after another conversation on another thread, stop being so precious and lighten up a little, if we all start to look at life as serious as you we might as well all give up now. P.S I am sorry if I upset you. kiss

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 27 Jun - 18:44

You're obviously making the comment looking for a reaction,I was just wondering why?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 27 Jun - 18:53

That's genius. "We only have one prop. Uncontested scrums in every match I'm afraid". When will the Australian and Irish test teams adopt this revolutionary tactic?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 27 Jun - 19:09

Munster usually prefers props to have some AIL experience before they choose them. Thats the best way to do it IMO. Leinster have a different system.

Munster have Botha, Du Preez, Horan, Archer, J Ryan, Cotter, Kilcoyne and Condon.

-Botha, Du Preez and Horan are the estabilshed names. Horan is past it now tbh.
-Condon is about 30 but just got his first pro contract! He was picked from the AIL.
-Archer, J Ryan, Kilcoyne and Cotter are coming through. I havn't been impressed by Archer so far but Ryan looks a good scrummager. Need to see more of the other two.

So there are plenty of inexperienced props in Munster.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 2 Jul - 21:50

Stag: I remember discussing the prop issue with an irish mate. He said something along the line of there being no contested scrums in junior rugby. Therefore the coaches put their tallest boys on so they had in effect more second row or loose forwards on the field. The only problem I can see is you don't regularly see successful prop who are very tall.

Is it true about the junior rugby scrum thing ?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 2 Jul - 21:52

In addition to my previous post. Look on the bright side, you're producing a lot of very good loose forwards and seconds rows !!

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 2 Jul - 21:53

When you say junior, what age are you talking about? In secondary school, all scrums are contested (up north anyway).

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 2 Jul - 21:58

Im not sure to be honest. I was at a wedding and had a few beers. One thing I do know is he's from near Dublin. Secondary with you 12 years and up yeah? Wonder if anybody else can shed any light on it. He may be talking horlicks?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 2 Jul - 22:14

Yeah for 11/12 years plus, the scrums are contested. We don't lift in the line outs until about 15/16 though. This is for schools in Northern Ireland though, I have no idea if it is the same down south. The schools I have played against down south, the scrums were contested too though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 2 Jul - 22:20

Ahh right. How come you lot are so good in the lineouts then. Maybe its just a welsh thing that makes us poo at them.Genetic or something. Where are stag or thomond when you need them

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 2 Jul - 22:30

Mind you Rory, with juniors over here they have uncontested lineouts to a certain age then its contested from 14 years I think.

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 2 Jul - 22:33

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Yeah for 11/12 years plus, the scrums are contested. We don't lift in the line outs until about 15/16 though. This is for schools in Northern Ireland though, I have no idea if it is the same down south. The schools I have played against down south, the scrums were contested too though.

As a contrast, when I was a kid in England we started scrummaging in under-9s (3 man scrums). I believe we got second rows in under11s and back-rows in U13s. Line-outs were uncontested to under11s (I think) and lifting came into it in under-15s, but that's now changed to under-16s. Not sure how scrums are done for kids now though.

I would be very worried if I were you Stag. 1 prop seems quite ridiculous. I know they can obviously supplement the academy team with non-academy players, but if Munster have only been able to identify 1 prop who might make it to a decent standard, then that would be very worrying indeed.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 2 Jul - 23:11

This is probably what they meant. It is a universal law. Not just in Ireland

Otherwise he was probably extracting the wee wee.

U19 scrum law

20.9 (j)
Maximum 1.5 metres push. A team in a scrum must not push the scrum more than 1.5 metres towards their opponents’ goal line.
Sanction: Free Kick

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Tue 3 Jul - 7:51

Jennifer just checked and its the same here. Scrums introduced at 9 and passive until 12 etc

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 3 Jul - 10:45

Scrums become a contest of 1.5m at U-13, with 8 men.It's 3 at U9/U10 and 5 from U11 to U12 with no push. You get pinged if you push more than that, a bit annoying as some refs will tell you hold the push others won't and you give away a free kick. Lifiting in lineouts are introduced at U-16.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 11:59

U19 Law Variations curtail the scrum worldwide.

It is exact same in Italy as in Ireland as in South Africa as in New Zealand.

I've seen Irish pundits use that as an excuse before but I think we just need an attitude adjustment.

Robbo - yea I'm quite worried by it. Its fine to have some young lads like Cotter, Ryan, Kilcoyne and Archer in the senior team but they are all around 24 years old. We need to see signs that props are being devloped by design. Where is Munsters Dan Cole or Cian Healy or Alex Cobisiero.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 3 Jul - 12:01

The difference between Ireland and the likes of Italy scrum wise is the technique. We learn it later and also place less emphasis on it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 12:08

Exactly Thomond. I was a big lanky so and so as a teenager and played second row. We rarely ever did scrum training. However we used to do lineout after lineout after lineout.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 3 Jul - 12:11

Were you a successful team Stag? Teams scrumamge a lot but they're learning the wrong things. They're easily correctable and you learn a lot from a session or tow with a seasoned or professional prop. Dave Ryan has been signed for Zebre this year and I think he will have come on a lot from his time with Lazio. (He might have been capped for the Us though)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 12:16

Relatively successful. I played for Crescent College at school and Garryowen for my club. Both were quite successful.

I'd imagine Ryan does a lot of work with your team. I've a good pal who is with your club too he says Dave Ryan is quite involved.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 3 Jul - 12:19

He is alright gave 3 scrum sessions with guys ranging from U-15 to U-19. They learned a lot, heck I learned a lot when I watched it!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 12:21

I found the same as part of a referee training programme we had some very good scrum coaches going over it with us.

What is each position trying to do. Channel 1, Channel 2 balls. The La Fléche technique. How the ball is likely to be played in differnet areas of the pitch.

Very interesting and made me realised there is a lot more to scrums than pushing.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 3 Jul - 13:13

red_stag wrote:U19 Law Variations curtail the scrum worldwide.

It is exact same in Italy as in Ireland as in South Africa as in New Zealand.

I've seen Irish pundits use that as an excuse before but I think we just need an attitude adjustment.

Robbo - yea I'm quite worried by it. Its fine to have some young lads like Cotter, Ryan, Kilcoyne and Archer in the senior team but they are all around 24 years old. We need to see signs that props are being devloped by design. Where is Munsters Dan Cole or Cian Healy or Alex Cobisiero.

Maybe Munster are adopting a wait and see approach. They'll wait and see how the props are doing at AIL level before taking them into the academy. For props, thats the best solution I think because of the way things are set up here.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Tue 3 Jul - 15:28

Ulster appear to be having all the up and comers so props will be got from there.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 15:48

drsambo1928 wrote:Ulster appear to be having all the up and comers so props will be got from there.
Leinster are also producing props. Leinster have 5 props in their academy includind martin moore and tadhg furlong who are very promising TH's.We also have jack mcgrath and jamie hagan who are already proven at pro 12 level.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 16:25

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
drsambo1928 wrote:Ulster appear to be having all the up and comers so props will be got from there.
Leinster are also producing props. Leinster have 5 props in their academy includind martin moore and tadhg furlong who are very promising TH's.We also have jack mcgrath and jamie hagan who are already proven at pro 12 level.

Jack McGrath is not "proven at Pro 12 level".

His ONLY ever appearance was when he came on as a sub for 11 minutes against the Dragons Laugh
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Tue 3 Jul - 16:34

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Is Jamie Hagan from Leinster? I thought Tadhg Furlong was from Connacht. I'm probably wrong though. When I say Ulster I mean that Ulster will have the better props in a few years time. They have Macklin at the moment who seems alright, mind you i'm not sure of his age.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 16:47

red_stag wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Jack McGrath is not "proven at Pro 12 level".

His ONLY ever appearance was when he came on as a sub for 11 minutes against the Dragons Laugh
Jack mcgrath has made 13 appearances for leinster last season including an appearance in the pro 12 final and has performed very well

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 17:01

Apologies I must have my info wrong.

Feckit I was looking at Luke McGrath.

My sincere apologies all.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 17:08

red_stag wrote:Apologies I must have my info wrong.

No need for the apology thumbsup

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 17:15

Grr smug Leinsterfans grr mad

I hate being wrong!!

I remember it happened once in 1994 and I was livid then as well.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 3 Jul - 17:17

I'd still say Stags right he's not yet proven at Pro 12 level.He looks a good prospect but we'll have to see him start a few games before we can say for sure.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Tue 3 Jul - 17:18

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:Apologies I must have my info wrong.

No need for the apology thumbsup

Luke McGrath is one for the future no doubt. Even though he went to a devilish school, I think he will be good in the future. It must also be noted that the Ulster schools are better then any Munster or Leinster schools. Thus I feel Ulster will have the better players and ths better props.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 17:18

red_stag wrote:Grr smug Leinsterfans grr mad

I hate being wrong!!

I remember it happened once in 1994 and I was livid then as well.
Im not smug at all it was an easy mistake to make. I have made a similiar mistake when Ulster fans talk about luke marshall. I keep getting him confused with Ian marshal

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 17:23

asoreleftshoulder wrote:I'd still say Stags right he's not yet proven at Pro 12 level.He looks a good prospect but we'll have to see him start a few games before we can say for sure.
Maybe your right. But he has played well whenever he gets his game.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 3 Jul - 17:43

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:I'd still say Stags right he's not yet proven at Pro 12 level.He looks a good prospect but we'll have to see him start a few games before we can say for sure.

Oh yeah I have high hopes for him and he's till only a toddler in propping terms so hopefully he can get more gametime this year.He has 2 top quality players in front of him but with Healy getting rested a lot for the international teams benefit he should see a fair amount of action this year.

edit:yikes just read the thread title again,sorry about the derail

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 17:46

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Oh yeah I have high hopes for him and he's till only a toddler in propping terms so hopefully he can get more gametime this year.He has 2 top quality players in front of him but with Healy getting rested a lot for the international teams benefit he should see a fair amount of action this year.
Ye we will get to see a lot more of him this year and also this could be vdm's last year at leinster so he could be our 2nd choice LH in 2 years time

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Tue 3 Jul - 17:48

What a signing Van Der Merwe was.But it's time for Some Irish blood to prosper.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 18:09

I have to say I don't buy into this business of props always coming through as late developers.

It isn't an issue for Joe Marler, Alex Cobisiero, Dan Cole, Cian Healy, Rhodri Jones, Owen Franks, Tony Woodcock, Coenie Oosthuizen, Martin Castrogiovanni, Nicolas Mas, Svlvain Marconnet.

I could go on but these guys were all getting into the international scene aged 19-22.

McGrath is turning 23 in October. He is young but he isn't that young.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Tue 3 Jul - 18:12

red_stag wrote:I have to say I don't buy into this business of props always coming through as late developers.

It isn't an issue for Joe Marler, Alex Cobisiero, Dan Cole, Cian Healy, Rhodri Jones, Owen Franks, Tony Woodcock, Coenie Oosthuizen, Martin Castrogiovanni, Nicolas Mas, Svlvain Marconnet.

I could go on but these guys were all getting into the international scene aged 19-22.

Healy was exposed to Heineken cup level early on while Jack McGrath wasn't. Maybe aswell, the props listed are just better than McGrath.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 18:17

DrSambo,

They are two brilliant points. It ties in very nicely with the title of the thread.

Healy was exposed to Heineken Cup level early on as you say and the world didnt end. He did as well as any young player would do and had ups and had downs. He turned out to be a very good player and was winning a Heineken Cup at age 21. He is 24 now and has 33 caps to his name.

I'd like to see more of that rather than just having Wian du Preez and van der Merwe and Nathan White blocking the way.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 3 Jul - 18:18

red_stag wrote:I have to say I don't buy into this business of props always coming through as late developers.

It definitely isn't a hard and fast rule but it's not unusual to see front 5 forwards only breaking through in their late 20's,Ross and Ryan are both reent examples with Ireland.The really top class players make it earlier but some very good international forwards are late developers.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 18:22

red_stag wrote:DrSambo,

They are two brilliant points. It ties in very nicely with the title of the thread.

Healy was exposed to Heineken Cup level early on as you say and the world didnt end. He did as well as any young player would do and had ups and had downs. He turned out to be a very good player and was winning a Heineken Cup at age 21. He is 24 now and has 33 caps to his name.

I'd like to see more of that rather than just having Wian du Preez and van der Merwe and Nathan White blocking the way.
Nathan white is gone and vdm is in his last season at leinster, so we should start seeing the likes of mcgrath, moore and furlong all getting a lot of gametime.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 18:25

I would argue that was down to poor development Asoreleftshoulder.

Donnacha Ryan did not see gametime due to Paul O'Connell, Mick O'Driscoll and Donnacha O'Callaghan.

Leinster had Stan Wright, CJ van der Linde, Ollie le Roux, Will Green and Van der Merwe. Their prop development was apalling. Munster clutched to Horan and Hayes for too long and Ulster have gone from one foreign tighthead (Botha) to another (Afoa) meaning like Leinster it will be about 7 years before they have an Irish tight head.

I maintain that that is a crutch we as a country have hidden behind for far too long. Tight five forwards are not natural late bloomers. They issue is that we are developing them badly.

We can almost make an entire pack of South Africa forwards plying their trade in Ireland.

Van der Merwe, Wian du Preez, BJ Botha, Richardt Strauss, Johann Muller, Quinn Roux, Robbie Diack, CJ Stander, Ethienne Reynecke, Robb Herring.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 3 Jul - 18:27

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Nathan white is gone and vdm is in his last season at leinster, so we should start seeing the likes of mcgrath, moore and furlong all getting a lot of gametime.

Nathan White is gone to Connacht to join another foreign tightead (Rodney Ah You)

I do hope we see more of Furlong. I thought he looked a good player.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 3 Jul - 18:30

red_stag wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Nathan White is gone to Connacht to join another foreign tightead (Rodney Ah You)

I do hope we see more of Furlong. I thought he looked a good player.
As did his LH partner des merrey but he didn't get an academy contract for some reason. I was dissapointed about that.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next