The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Near Record Season Ticket Sales

+13
muzzer_mc
LondonTiger
Mickado
ScarletSpiderman
Shifty
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Coleman
Smirnoffpriest
LordDowlais
Brendan
formerly known as Sam
Rugby_Girl
17 posters

Go down

Glasgow Near Record Season Ticket Sales Empty Glasgow Near Record Season Ticket Sales

Post by Rugby_Girl Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/content/view/5433/2/

Glasgow Warriors will be backed by a record number of Season Ticket Members as they begin life at their new home, Scotstoun Stadium.

Sales of 2012/13 Season Ticket Memberships are on the verge of surpassing the previous high only eight weeks after the packages launched.

More than 1,130 supporters have already signed up for the inaugural campaign of RaboDirect PRO12 and Heineken Cup rugby at the Warriors’ combined playing, training and administrative base, the first time the club has enjoyed an integrated facility of this type.

Sales are up 500% on the figures from the corresponding date last season. Fewer than 10 packages require to be sold to beat the current record, which was for the 2010/11 campaign.

With a reserved seating policy in place to ensure that Season Ticket Members enjoy the best views, the prime spots in both the Main and North stands at Scotstoun have been selling fast.

There are still some great seats available in both stands, but with sales flowing in on a daily basis, supporters are strongly advised not to delay their purchase.

Season Ticket Members get access to all 14 regular season home RaboDirect PRO12 and Heineken Cup games for the price of 9, and will be watching a team that boasts six exciting new signings.

With increased investment from Scottish Rugby, former All Black flanker Angus MacDonald, battle-hardened English Premiership lock Tim Swinson, Tonga’s World Cup star No.8 Viliami Ma’afu, returning fans’ favourite Sean Lamont, Scotland 7s centre Byron McGuigan and Taylor Paris, the youngest player ever to be capped by Canada at both 15s and 7s, have all been added to a squad who made the RaboDirect PRO12 semi-finals twice in the last three seasons.

Nineteen of the players who played a key role in the consistent form shown by the side in season 2011/12 have been re-signed in recent months, the Warriors roster now boasting some 20 full internationals.

Glasgow supporters have responded in unprecedented numbers to the progress being made on and off the pitch, and the impact of the Emirates Airline Glasgow 7s, which will return to Scotstoun next May after a highly successful debut event last month.

Supported by Scottish Rugby’s ticketing operation, the club have run a series of well-received Scotstoun Open Days to allow fans to tour the stadium and select their Season Ticket Membership seats, with more than 200 supporters attending a fortnight ago to meet new head coach Gregor Townsend plus MacDonald, Swinson and McGuigan.

Managing director Nathan Bombrys told www.glasgowwarriors.org: “Everyone at Glasgow Warriors is motivated by the possibility we have to achieve something that’s never been done before – winning a major trophy.

“We’re delighted the supporters share our enthusiasm for the coming season and the opportunities it presents for the club to keep moving forward on and off the pitch.

“My colleagues and I have really enjoyed the chance to show supporters round our new home, and it’s gratifying to hear their excitement about the move. It’s great news for the whole club that we’re very close to breaking our previous Season Ticket Membership record, and we look forward to welcoming even more Members to the fold over the coming weeks.

“We really appreciate the backing our fans and Scottish Rugby provide, and acknowledge their sustained support.”

Townsend added: “It was terriffic to meet so many supporters at the Open Day last week, and to hear we’re days away from establishing a record number of Season Ticket Members is tremendously exciting.

“The players have returned to pre-season training absolutely determined to build on the progress that was made last year, and with a lot of hard work from everyone, I’m convinced we will be even better this season.”

So basically Glasgow have sold over 1130 season tickets and to beat the current record fewer than ten need to be sold. Sales are up 500% from this time last year, think this is great news for the club and it'll be great for the players to hear. Can't wait for the season to start now!

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Near Record Season Ticket Sales Empty Re: Glasgow Near Record Season Ticket Sales

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:20 pm

It's interesting that a lot of clubs are reporting season ticket success in the middle of a recession. Rugby is obviously the favourite game of tough times.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Near Record Season Ticket Sales Empty Re: Glasgow Near Record Season Ticket Sales

Post by Brendan Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:34 pm

when you compare the season ticket sales as a percent of attendance the warriors figure seems low.

But going on these figures looks like the scots will be hitting welsh att figures.

Should go a long way to convience the SRU that investing in the rabo teams will pay bigger dividends then just the national side.

Good times for scotland they have recuited well and scottish players are still getting time abroad aswell.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:45 pm

Will the demise of Rangers f.c have anything to do with fans turning to rugby up there rugby girl ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:57 pm

It's good to see some positive news from the Scottish clubs!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:59 pm

Dunno LD, I'd imagine that if Rangers don't get back into the SPL they'll apply to join the English Football League which will gain plenty of interest from their current fan base.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 27 Jun 2012, 5:08 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Dunno LD, I'd imagine that if Rangers don't get back into the SPL they'll apply to join the English Football League which will gain plenty of interest from their current fan base.

Dont want to get off topic, but wouldnt they have to start at level 9 of the pyramid like Wimbledon.

On topic. Really buzzing for this coming season of rugby, better crowds, better stadiums (for me personally).

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 27 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

Rugby_Girl, any news on where the Warriors will play their pre-season friendly against Exeter Chiefs yet? OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Jun 2012, 5:30 pm

Still no mention of Edinburgh season ticket sales which is a worry...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 27 Jun 2012, 5:51 pm

Fantastic news for Glasgow, I wish I could go up there to watch the Ospreys play but I'm banned from going to Glasgow. Crying or Very sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby_Girl Wed 27 Jun 2012, 7:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Will the demise of Rangers f.c have anything to do with fans turning to rugby up there rugby girl ?

Maybe but I can't see them buying season tickets so don't think they've impacted on the ticket sales yet. Think there may be a few people switching form football to rugby though, even last year at Firhill I heard quite a few (football) people saying it was their first rugby game but they would definetely come back instead of going to a football game just because it is much more family friendly & a better atmosphere. So if/when Rangers get relegated I'd think that a few of their supporters might come to Glasgow games instead

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby_Girl Wed 27 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Rugby_Girl, any news on where the Warriors will play their pre-season friendly against Exeter Chiefs yet? OK

No, not yet, apparently the club have been looking at various locations for it - some are outside Glasgow - but haven't been able to confirm anything yet. All we know is that it's not at Scotstoun or Firhill, they're hoping to confirm something soon.

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:53 am

Rugby Girl, I've taken a few mates who are football lovers to the rugby and I've never had any of them make a single complaint. People outside of rugby don't realise that proper rugby stadiums are great places to go with friends and family they see the physicality and violence on the pitch and think of the football fan mentality put the two together and get it all wrong.

Dont want to get off topic, but wouldnt they have to start at level 9 of the pyramid like Wimbledon.

Apologies for the off topic comment but I've heard rumours Rangers will look to buy out a struggling football league club and liquidate their assets whilst taking their place in the football league. Don't know if that will be allowed or not though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:00 am

Glad to see that constant improvement of Glasgow in the Rabo is starting to filter down to ticket sales. They have been improving season upon season, and its good to see the fans are commiting to them this early in the preseason.

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Apologies for the off topic comment but I've heard rumours Rangers will look to buy out a struggling football league club and liquidate their assets whilst taking their place in the football league. Don't know if that will be allowed or not though.

Again sorry for off topic. Wimbledon had to start at the bottom of the league structure because they were a new entity full stop. The old Wimbledon sodded of to Milton Keens and then a season later rebranded (I guess like you say Rangers are looking to do)>
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:01 am

Just out of interest how much are season tickets?

My one for the RDS is about €270, which includes all regular season games (pro12 and HC and any games played in the Aviva)...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:02 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Apologies for the off topic comment but I've heard rumours Rangers will look to buy out a struggling football league club and liquidate their assets whilst taking their place in the football league. Don't know if that will be allowed or not though.

Effectively that is what the MK Dons did. Rangers Newco could look at buying up Portsmouth perhaps, but whether they woul dbe allowed to relocate to Scotland I am not sure.

To bring it back to rugby, I wonder if there is anything to stop a wealthy consortium buying up Wasps and relocating to South Africa?

and finally back on topic - well done Glasgow.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by muzzer_mc Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

Mickado wrote:Just out of interest how much are season tickets?

My one for the RDS is about €270, which includes all regular season games (pro12 and HC and any games played in the Aviva)...

£225 for Main Stand Seat
£180 for a North Stand Seat
£135 for Behind the Goal area Standing.

For that you get access to all Pro 12 and H Cup games.
Right to buy ticket for your seat for any home H Cup Qtrs or Pro 12 Play Offs
Right to buy a ticket to each Scotland home game.

muzzer_mc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:51 am

Sounds like good value. My ticket is for the stand behind the goal posts.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 28 Jun 2012, 4:06 pm

Mickado wrote:Sounds like good value. My ticket is for the stand behind the goal posts.
value is relative. you get to watch the best team in Europe play rugby that you will be telling your grandchildren about.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 28 Jun 2012, 4:28 pm

Good stuff. It seems a lot of teams are seeing increased ticket sales. Or does it just seem like that because the sides seeing a drop in sales stay quiet about it.

I dream of a future, prosperous PRO12 (14/16?) with every team getting at least 10-15k attending each match.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Thu 28 Jun 2012, 4:28 pm

1,130 season ticket sales to date. Up 500% on same time last year.

Er.

Wow....

Headscratch

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

bathmad wrote:1,130 season ticket sales to date. Up 500% on same time last year.

Er.

Wow....

Headscratch
Bearing in mind (according to wikipedia) there are approximately 5000 seats in Scotstoun to have already sold around a fifth of available tickets and for the smaller games last year they were only attracting 3000 (ish) it is quite an achievement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

Haters gonna hate.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down