The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

+22
kiakahaaotearoa
AlastairW
Breadvan
emack2
Pal Joey
aucklandlaurie
Jenifer McLadyboy
disneychilly
Full Credit
Biltong
nganboy
gowales
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ChequeredJersey
anotherworldofpain
Zander
Taylorman
chewed_mintie
LondonTiger
rodders
ebop
blackcanelion
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league Empty Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

Post by blackcanelion Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:31 am

Apparently it's been leaked to the Australian media. He's signed a contract with the NSW league club, the South Sydney Rabbitos. He's also supposed allowed to play rugby in Japan and have time out for boxing. Oh well it's back to Nonu at center.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league Empty Re: Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

Post by ebop Mon 25 Jun 2012, 5:02 am

Shame if it happens, talk about reaching for the stars huh. Rabbitohs, seriously? thumbsdown

Wonder if he'll try and do a brad thorn and flick between the two codes over and over.

Yeah, stink that we'll have to put up with nonu's bullocking runs, big tackles and sublime passing Wink
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league Empty Re: Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

Post by rodders Mon 25 Jun 2012, 8:56 am

Well Paddy Wallace won't miss him too much anyways..... Whistle..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:09 am

rodders wrote:Well Paddy Wallace won't miss him too much anyways..... Whistle..... Run

He missed him a lot saturday!!!!!

Sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:09 am

rodders wrote:Well Paddy Wallace won't miss him too much anyways..... Whistle..... Run

I thought he missed him rather a lot on Saturday. Whistle..... RunRunRunRun

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:38 am

blackcanelion wrote:Apparently it's been leaked to the Australian media. He's signed a contract with the NSW league club, the South Sydney Rabbittos. He's also supposed allowed to play rugby in Japan and have time out for boxing. Oh well it's back to Nonu at center.

I read it was the Roosters? That would be the only move to please me

Tew and co are remaining remarkably cool over this, looking at his comments on Stuff....maybe they’re viewing this as a sabbatical in a way, letting SBW take the big money in Japan before he looks to come back to seal the 12 spot in a year’s time. Let’s face it, this scenario wouldn’t surprise many people

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:41 am

I heard it was the roosters. Im over the what will sbw do next thing. If he plays he plays. If he doesnt he doesnt.
Theres no law that says he should have full allegiance to the ABs.
He rolls to his own tune so good on him. I can take or leave him. So can the abs.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:54 am

I'd be dissapointed if he did go to rugby league. He is a very special player and a great one to watch, especially in an All Blacks jersey!

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

He always seem to get an "offer" to go to league just before combinator is selection! How coincidence Rolling Eyes

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Probably this is some lying rumour made up to creating the ripplies in all blacks squad and force the combinator changes for Rugby Championship.

I have to steal this phrase sometime.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

Big fat red herring, reckon he'll stay. NZRFU know the score as does Rennie et al, he probably just wants some time to fly over to oz and clip Matthew Johns around the ears. He wants the big profile, playing a domestic league comp won't give him international exposure. The NH/SA know him because of rugby, he'll just be another oz league player if he defects.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:32 am

Nah, he's off to NFL next. As a linebacker
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:34 am

I think it's a combination of league, Japanese rugby and boxing and $$$ involved. The NRL season is shorter so he can fit a bit more in.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:37 am

BCL, you reckon he'll play NRL and Japanese rugby? Like a once off, or ongoing? NRL is brutal, his body will fail him.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:46 am

Conflicting reports...

http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/sonny-bill-tipped-stay-in-new-zealand-4944522

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

EBOP wrote:BCL, you reckon he'll play NRL and Japanese rugby? Like a once off, or ongoing? NRL is brutal, his body will fail him.

He coped ok with the physicality of NRL first time round. However I thought the money was not all that great.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

The combinator of testing himself in the best contact sport competition in the world again maybe too big a carrot LT. Having said that the money won’t be all that bad, if estimates are correct he’ll get about AU$700k out of the Roosters (£375k?) for the year, plus AU$1.1m in Japan plus this big bout in Sth Africa should net him a small fortune too. All in all, not bad work.

But, as someone said earlier, will he be able to get through all of this without his body failing? Theoretically, he’ll have played from Feb-March this year all the way through to potentially November next year if he decides that he’ll play for NZ at the World Cup..

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:58 am

For sure he can handle NRL, but then also play Japanese rugby as well, plus box. That's a hefty workload. Yeah, I thought the same re $$$, he'd be on the marquee contract, but the NRL is such a narrow market that you'd think it would be a step backwards.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm

How will the NRL salary cap adjudicators look at this. Any income from "other sources" is technically included under the cap. (from memory a couple of NRL stars have been blocked from taking "sabaticals" in the past)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

The NRL salary cap is increasing isn't it kiwi? Not sure when.

ps. Checked, increasing next year to $5 mil, extra $700k
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

Surely his Japan contract and NRL contract would not overlap anyway? That's half the battle, then all he needs to do is schedule his fight after his contract expires...which would probably be at the end of the season.

this would then mean he won't be playing for NZ at the world cup!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 25 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

Hope he doesn't go to rugby lite, that would be a waste. He's really starting to show his potential now. Japan or Toulon again after the 2015 world cup would be the best choice i think

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:11 am

From a few of the kiwis coming back to NZ from Japan. It seems like a great place to go and give your body a rest while early some serious Yen.
It would be a pity for him to go as he has started to really come on in the game but would we really miss him if he did? Nonu, Kahui, Ellison, Carter would all be okay at 12
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:36 am

One of the guys on radiosport this morning reckons SBW is set to announce something on the NRL footy show this Thursday. Just speculating, but you never know. Man SBW is annoying!!
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 4:13 am

With SBW I just go with the flow. He thrives off everyone getting obsessed with what hes gonna do next.

His hearts not in anything as he goes anywhere where the money is. I mean who would want to play Sydney club league then France club the then back here fto try for AB's, make it then off to Japan, back to League.

Just stupid that his legacy will be his name Money Bill- good at some things best at none.

Just dont bother wasting energy on it.

Next subject...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:19 am

Taylorman wrote:With SBW I just go with the flow. He thrives off everyone getting obsessed with what hes gonna do next.

His hearts not in anything as he goes anywhere where the money is. I mean who would want to play Sydney club league then France club the then back here fto try for AB's, make it then off to Japan, back to League.

Just stupid that his legacy will be his name Money Bill- good at some things best at none.

Just dont bother wasting energy on it.

Next subject...

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He has had an experience in professional sport that showed him early on he was a tradeable commodity. He knows he has a sell by date and knows from his time with the bulldogs that he's a tool for the people running the game. I have no doubt that the NZRU has laid their cards on the table and said take it or leave it. If he leaves, it's because he's setting himself up for the future, he feels he has achieved his goals and others to chase. I would have like him to play longer to see him against Australia and South Africa. Truth is I prefer Nonu, maybe it's a false rumor anyway.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:20 am

The reality in NZ is hat they have so much depth in the backline that it really doesn't matter, does it?

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

I'm surprised the NRL would even consider letting him back in the comp. What's the message here... break your contract mid season, leave all your mates high and dry, let down your fans, go off and do what you like and we'll welcome you back with open arms?

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

League doesn't have any morals.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:06 am

Well he's got less than ten years left at the top of union or league so I guess he has to choose each year very carefully in order to achieve his goal which I believe is to be the best sportsman in the world. Guy reminds me of Deion Sanders a wee bit though baseball and American football are vastly different so kudos to that bloke.

Nasser isn't recognised as an official NRL agent which will be hard to get around I read.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:16 am

Well maybe SBW is just misunderstood.

Perhaps he wants the treble at world champion.

RU
RL
Boxing.

Who knows?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:31 am

Tbh why not? But who honestly cares about a world championship in RL apart from Queensland, New South Wales and Northern England laughing

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:32 am

gowales wrote:Tbh why not? But who honestly cares about a world championship in RL apart from Queensland, New South Wales and Northern England laughing

NZ. But only because we've currently got the RLWC trophy Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

If it's all about the glory would he not fancy the S15 and 4 Nations trophies?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

Would it not be fair of me to assume that if Tew and Rennie know what SBW plans are then so also would Hansen, and if thats the case, and he was going back to the NRL, then why on gods earth did Hansen just put him in an AB test jersey?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Would it not be fair of me to assume that if Tew and Rennie know what SBW plans are then so also would Hansen, and if thats the case, and he was going back to the NRL, then why on gods earth did Hansen just put him in an AB test jersey?

I suspect because Nonu needed a break. And SBW has been clearly the best NZ 12 in SXV so far this season.

I saw something the other day from Hansen saying he'll pick SBW if form dictates for the 4N too, regardless of whether he's off afterwards.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

To be fair to Hansen there it's not like SBW is in the way of a player developing. Nonu would be straight in there if SBW left and he's kind of developed enough I would imagine.

Biltong that's exactly what SBW wants. The Kiwis are a legitimate threat to Australia in the league as they've got the World Cup and nicked the 4N trophy before that. So if SBW thinks the Kiwis have what it takes to win another WC, then he'd be a double world champion.

I know Union is well behind basketball and football as far as team sports go, but a league WC may as well be a 3N. LOL with league and AFL seems like the Aussies are just a bit like the Yanks in that they like to play sports noone else is good at! If they've heard of them!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:35 pm

disneychilly wrote:LOL with league and AFL seems like the Aussies are just a bit like the Yanks in that they like to play sports noone else is good at! If they've heard of them!
Yeah we play all those nothing sports like rugby, cricket, soccer, tennis, swimming, basketball, golf, etc. I'm curious, which of these sports haven't you heard of?

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

You play cricket?

Never noticed that before. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

Only ribbing FC.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

They do Biltong. We do too. If you kept your TV on after the World Cup quarterfinals you may have seen it Run

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:47 pm

Yeah we still play it Biltong... just not like we used to.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

Yeah FC sort your sh1t out. It's depressing seeing England at number one (though they are playing great cricket and deserve it). Get back up there and knock em off already!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

We're also very strong in Jai Alai and Real Tennis, aren't we FC? Wink
Are you staying up to watch the Petanque World Championship Finals tonight? Whistle

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 26 Jun 2012, 4:24 pm

Are they on tonight?!? Thanks, I would have missed it otherwise. Very Happy

We're also very competitive with ring-toss and no other country can get within a bulls roar of our pig divers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zQcfI4YKY

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:25 pm

I think it irks kiwis that sbw isnt one of the usual...all my life ive wanted to be an all black. SBW treats being an ab as an option amongst others. Thats very rare. AB fans expect loyalty and they get in in slices from sbw.

I just wonder at the end of it all when hes sitting at home with his millions whether he'll be ok with the fact that he made a name for himself out of playing for the biggest bidder.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:01 pm

Definite firming of the rumours...

http://www.3news.co.nz/Sonny-Bill-Williams-Leaving-rugby-Japan-then-Roosters/tabid/415/articleID/259194/Default.aspx

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm

Guess we're watching Fatty Vautin on Thursday night then.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:44 am

With SBW it is all about money and ego,when he was in France playing for Toulon.He said he wanted to play in RWC,to do that he had to be in NZ a season with the Crusaders.THE starting point for all aspiring All Blacks, a bit part off the Bench.. Move away from earthquake ridden Christchurch a good run with Chiefs plus Nonu being lumbered with the Blues .Mean`t an AllBlacks start his future was cut and dried LAST year when he only signed on for a year.His NRL embargo runs out and he follows the money as usual.Pity Richard Kahui is a walking sick note love to see him inside Conrad Smith.IF he was staying in RU he would already have annouced it.So he`s gone pity but he`s replacable NOW if Conrad Smith went ?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 27 Jun 2012, 3:08 am

In fairness to Sonny Bill he took a big paycut to go and become an All Black, He was on massive money at Toulon, to make up the shortfall of income he had to go and take up boxing.

Although he made his name/reputation in rugby league, he did play Roller Mills for West Auckland when he was a kid.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next