The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outstanding Contribution To Music - BRITS Have No Idea

3 posters

Go down

Outstanding Contribution To Music - BRITS Have No Idea Empty Outstanding Contribution To Music - BRITS Have No Idea

Post by Guest Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:32 pm

Recently looking through the career of the Bee Gees and seeing that in 1997 they were awarded the Outstanding Contribution To Music award. Richly and rightfully deserved. This prompted me to look through the chronicles of Brit Awards history and the award itself has lost any form of prestige and respect when I look at some of the recepients.

Wham?
The Police?
Pet Shop Boys?
The Spice Girls?
Robbie Williams?
Blur?

Collectively I look at them think what have contributed that has made the music scene in Britain vibrant?

George Michael's best years were post Wham. Damon Albarn probably evolved as an artist beyond Blur. Pet Shop Boys, well I can't see what they did which was better than Eurythmics who won the award in 1999. The Police? For me were influenced by The Clash who beyond me have been overlooked for this award. Spice Girls and Robbie Williams? Furthers the maddening.

I look at bands like The Rolling Stones, The Clash, Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, Sade. Individuals such as Brian Eno and the impact he had on bands such as U2, Coldplay, Talking Heads and Ultravox.

I think it is time the BRITS woke up and actually recognised bands and individuals who's work and influence have shined on beyond groups and artists who have won it previously.

Back to top Go down

Outstanding Contribution To Music - BRITS Have No Idea Empty Re: Outstanding Contribution To Music - BRITS Have No Idea

Post by Cari Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

To be honest, I've never taken that award seriously. There's usually considerable barrell scraping going on. Didn't they give it to U2 one year? I'm not suggesting a band like U2 don't deserve it on merit, but they are Irish and technically shouldn't have been nominated at all.

I also think that the BRITS are very safe, pro-establishment awards hence the likes of The Clash will never receive one. If they were offered one, I'd hope they'd refuse. It might well be he case that the likes of the Stones, Smiths etc HAVE refused BRITS and so alternative willing recipients had to be found.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Outstanding Contribution To Music - BRITS Have No Idea Empty Re: Outstanding Contribution To Music - BRITS Have No Idea

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 17 Jul 2012, 8:24 am

Wham were huge in the States as well as in the UK and were the first Western band to play in China. The Police too were huge in the States. The Pet Shop Boys had number ones all through the '80s. The Spice Girls were huge globally. Robbie Williams, well he's just an @rse. Blur were central to Britpop, which produced a lot of dross but also made bands realise they didn't need to pretend to be American, which was / is pretty significant.

I'm not arguing that all these artists deserve that Brit award, just pointing out their positives. Except Robbie Williams, for whom there are no positives apart from the fact that we haven't heard from him for a while.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 9:45 am

To me there are no positives music received from the likes of the spice girls, apart from record sales that is and as far as I am concerned they were a totally fabricated product and being so should never receive any awards.
A brilliant musician died yesterday, after he first started playing in bands in the early sixties contributing god knows what to music and being acknowledged by his peers as being an outstanding musician and song writer, this guy and one band in particular, they have sales in excess of 150 million albums and still counting,he created and played with for in excess of 18 years producing arguably one of British rocks greatest ever albums. The band release another album next year and are still on tour.
I not going to mention his name or the groups because they should never be at
talked about in the same article as the products such as the spice girls.
Has he or the band been recognised by the Brits have they ..........
Rant over I can come down from the ceiling some time tomorrow
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 17 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

All this reminds me of the time when the BBC's lifetime achievement award on Sports Personality of the Year was given to David Beckham. What a load of horsesh!t. He was 32 or something at the time. He hadn't even retired.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 17 Jul 2012, 11:27 am

Asdral - I know who you mean.

I was watching a comedian the other night - I think his name was Steve Hughes - Australian/British biker type of fella. Anyway, he was doing a gag about something, and reeled off a list of all the great British bands, and there were loads - I think only four of those he mentioned have actually ever won this award.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 17 Jul 2012, 11:29 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:All this reminds me of the time when the BBC's lifetime achievement award on Sports Personality of the Year was given to David Beckham. What a load of horsesh!t. He was 32 or something at the time. He hadn't even retired.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year went down in my estimation when Zara Phillips won it.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 17 Jul 2012, 11:34 am

The way I see it, if you're going to give an award to a jockey or a horserider, you should also give an award to the horse. The horse should be made to dress up and attend the ceremony.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 17 Jul 2012, 11:36 am

Well, the Phillips' look a bit like horses... laughing

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jul 2012, 3:20 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:All this reminds me of the time when the BBC's lifetime achievement award on Sports Personality of the Year was given to David Beckham. What a load of horsesh!t. He was 32 or something at the time. He hadn't even retired.

One of my gripes when he won it given so many other athletes had done more for sports in this country. How a Roger Bannister or Daley Thompson have never won it is beyond me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 17 Jul 2012, 3:34 pm

It was a total joke. Even if he'd won the World Cup, it would have been idiocy to give someone that age a lifetime achievement award. But when someone's flavour of the month, sense doesn't get a look in. It's like when Robbie Williams won best single for 'She's the One', which is a cover version. steam

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down