The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Houston we have a problem - MeetAxl Week 2

+3
Nay
Hero
Adam D
7 posters

Go down

Houston we have a problem - MeetAxl Week 2 Empty Houston we have a problem - MeetAxl Week 2

Post by Adam D Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

Its been a week since my self proclaimed musical odyssey began.

For first time readers of this column, two weeks ago, I set myself a mission to meet one of the most reclusive rock stars on the planet within the next year, I set myself the nigh on impossible task of gaining an audience with Mr Axl Rose (Read about it here). And for the pedants who read the first draft of my far fetched destiny will know, the week didnt get off to the greatest of starts....

The article was published, the roadmap to success was set and the twitter account was up and running. I even started to tweet the article to Guns N Roses band members amongst others. Surely all I had to do now was wait.

And wait.

After a few days it became quite apparent that this was going to take more than a few tweets to get things moving. But worse than this - much , much worse than this - was that in documenting and subsequently mentioning it to Guns n Roses themselves, I had made a slight typo. And it was in the worst possible place.

I was apparently trying to meet AXEL Rose who I guess is not the same person as Axl Rose. On reflection, maybe looking for Axel Rose would be easier. Maybe there was someone out there who enjoyed both Harold Faltermeyers 80's smash and flowers so much that they changed their name. And now I was starting an internet trek to meet him.

Who knows? Either way, neither Axel or Axl seemed too interested in making contact at this point. And nor did Fish for that matter, who appeared just as reluctant to meet/talk/ acknowledge.

Yes, this story was going nowhere, via a misspelled detour, very fast.

But then I had an idea. And this idea wasn't half bad. If I couldn't get to talk to Fish just yet, I would take baby steps in his direction. And those baby steps started by getting in touch with his past. [please note that was going to say Fishes past but it dawned on me you can not pluralise "fish" and it would lead to a whole world of confusion as to whether it would be "fish", "Fishs" , "Fishes" or Fishi" - it's "he" from now on].

So where did it start for Fish? Well most of you will know Fish from his days with Marillion. And as luck would have it, whilst standing in the queue for the Fish concert a few weeks back, I was handed a flyer for "Stillmarillion" - a Fish era Marillion tribute band. Maybe, this band could get me an audience with the first stepping stone in my quest.

Which leads me to tonight. After dropping the band a few messages via various methods, the bands keyboardist got in touch with me just moments ago. And they have given me my first success on this road to Mr Rose. So it is with great pleasure that I announce that very soon, I will be meeting the closest thing there is to Fish - the band that play his hits for a living.

When I started my odyssey, I knew that this journey would be a long and lonely road. And for that reason, I knew that I couldnt do it alone. Which is why I have invited you all along with me on the way. And as you are reading this, hopefully, you are with me in spirit as I take my first movement towards the end game.

In that spirit of community togetherness, I therefore invite you all to join me in asking questions to one of the greatest tribute acts I have personally seen (this is not brown nose hyperbole - the last time I saw them, they were actually better than the last time I saw the actual Marilllion line up!). So, should you have a question, no matter how bizarre, please let me know and I will do my best to pose it to them when we meet.

So for now, dont forget to follow me in my journey and follow @meetaxl and tell others about the long road ahead. Until next time, when I will be one step closer, I look forward to reading your questions! (post them below)

A

If you would like to see StillMarillion live in concert, and join me for a beer, then they are playing in Glasgow at the ABC2 on Saturday the 30th June.

Last weeks entry - https://www.606v2.com/t30184-the-beginning-of-a-musical-journey

Last edited by Adam D on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Houston we have a problem - MeetAxl Week 2 Empty Re: Houston we have a problem - MeetAxl Week 2

Post by Adam D Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:56 pm

http://v2journal.com/houston-we-have-a-problem.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Houston we have a problem - MeetAxl Week 2 Empty Re: Houston we have a problem - MeetAxl Week 2

Post by Hero Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:35 pm

Do you get groupies and any interesting stories there?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

What was it that made you decide to become a Marilion tribute Act?

In keeping with Adams quest which musician would you most like an opportunity to spend time with?

Apart from yourselves, have you seen any other tribute acts you would highly recommend.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

Whats the best tribute act name you've seen?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm

Adam D wrote:

If you would like to see StillMarillion live in concert, and join me for a beer, then they are playing in Glasgow at the ABC2 on Saturday the 30th June.

As Mr A Partridge once put it, I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth, but thanks for the offer all the same

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Jun 2012, 10:11 pm

Would you ever expand out of just being a tribute band?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:20 am

Axel Rose doesn't work as an anagram.

Is that your real hair?

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:37 pm

In Hull we have a annual Tribfest were numerous tribute acts play over a weekend , have you ever done anything like that ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

Have you ever performed for Fish?
(the person, not the sea dwelling things)

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down