The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best and worst pundits from your country?

+21
disneychilly
jeffwinger
dallym
EngInAuck
Taylorman
nganboy
timhen
wales606
TycroesOsprey
blackcanelion
IanBru
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Cymroglan
sugarNspikes
Knowsit17
Geordie
Golden
Biltong
gowales
bedfordwelsh
ChequeredJersey
25 posters

Go down

Best and worst pundits from your country? Empty Best and worst pundits from your country?

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

Who are the best and worst rugby writers and pundits from your country (ex-players or not)?

What do you think makes a good or bad pundit?

Which pundits from other nations do you respect and enjoy?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Best and worst pundits from your country? Empty Re: Best and worst pundits from your country?

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Wales - Really cant stand Jiffy and dont get me tsrated on Butler, like Gwyn Jones think he's very good on the analysis also quite like Andy Moore who does lot on the red button.

England - Well is there anyone worse than Barnes, like Greenwood think he's very good indeed.

While we are on topic of pundits don't know if its been mentioned but great to see Lynagh doing the Welsh game yesterday after his recent illness.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Best and worst pundits from your country? Empty Re: Best and worst pundits from your country?

Post by gowales Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

I think Barnes is a very good analyst but goes over the top in hyping certain players, but then again every single country has a guy who does that.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

Well I would expect a writer or pundit to be unbiased and not afraid to criticise players when the need is there.

Best rugby writer in SA is Dan Retief, he has been around for a long time, but has great insight into the game and fair in his assessments.

Commentators, Hugh Bladen and Bobby Skinstad, well none of them really irk me, they are mostly unbiased and decent.

My favourite overseas commentator is Justin Marshall.

Don't lime the Ozzie, english and Welsh commentators.

My favourite commentators of all time are late Bill McClaren and Gerhard Viviers. Bill McLaren's accent made rugby matches from the old country very specila to me and Gerhard viviers was a commentator in the days when rugby was still played on radio for many of us. He could desribe a match like no other.

His vivid descriptions of the game was the most comprehensive I have ever heard.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:12 pm

bilt,

Old Bill was the best and for me no one will ever get anywhere near his level.

I feel some of the ex old pros have chips on their shoulders and hate players that are better than they were for example, JJ WIlliams done nothing but criticise Shane all his carear.

Barry John writing in the WoS is quite bad do, the legend that is Pricey is good but fair I find
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

Best in Ireland i think are Shane Horgan and Alan Quinlan followed by Conor O'Shea. I also like Matt Williams although others may disagree on that.

The worst is long list. George Hook, Brent Pope, Neil Francis to name a few.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:49 pm

Golden wrote:Best in Ireland i think are Shane Horgan and Alan Quinlan followed by Conor O'Shea. I also like Matt Williams although others may disagree on that.

The worst is long list. George Hook, Brent Pope, Neil Francis to name a few.

Matt Williams comes across as an arrogant Aussie who refers to Ireland as "we", which i find particularly odd but he's a good analyst and reader of the game, useless coach though lol

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:53 pm

For me, the best are Greenwood, Moore (though i understand why others might dislike him) and now maybe Dean Ryan. Least favourites are Barnes in the box and Ackford and Jones in the paper who are both abysmal in terms of their opinions, writing and pretty much everything.

I think a good pundit has to be unbiased but can still be passionate about their associated country/club. They have to be knowledgeable but impart that knowledge in a way that is understandable to the more csual viewer and not patronising. They have to be able to engage verbally or literately with the audience.

My favourite foreign pundits are Connor O'Shea (of course!), Lynagh and in the studio, Castaignede who is just adorable
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:53 pm

The worst from England is barnes by a country mile.

The best is Brian Moore...he might show a slight bias at times...but he is hugely knowledgeable about the game and calls a spade a spade...

Him and Eddie Butler...the married couple...what a fantastic pair...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

I'm not sure out of England i'd probably say Dewi Morris, at least Barnes can read a game and is charming in his own strange way

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

Jiffy does my nut in as a commentator... Butler and Moore combo is fantastic.

For Pundit, I'll nominate Kingsley Jones, even if just part time.

Gwyn Jones really irks me, he seems so bitter!

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 5:58 pm

I'd have to class Jiffy as one of the worst, although I don't mind him personally I acknowledge that if I was from anywhere other than Wales his blatant bias would irk me to no end. Also when Rick O'Shea is commentating I'd much rather switch to Welsh language no matter how little of it I understand.

I never understood some of the dislike for Butler, on his own he's not that bad and with Brian Moore they're class to listen to.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

Justin Marshall is doing well in NZ, he's so un-one-eyed he almost favours the opposition. This used to irk a little, but now appreciate he is doing a great job. He points out the good things the opposition does and with excitement if warranted. He'll also pull up AB indiscretions rather than sweeping them under the carpet like the oz commentators do. He also brings good analysis to his commentary and learn stuff listening to him.

Ive always thought the SA commentators have be very good, especially the older guy with the flat intonation who's been around for a while (name?). They're similar to JM, very un-biased and you don't find yourself making diparaging comments about them during the game like I do with kearns/marto (actually dont mind kaefer).

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:47 pm

Nobody has mentioned Phil Vickery's World Cup commentary yet...

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:06 pm

I cant wait for AWOP post on here that will then put a end to the mystery Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:Nobody has mentioned Phil Vickery's World Cup commentary yet...

I cooked a recipe of his off the BBC website the other day. Did you know he'd retired from playing rugby?

Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:20 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:Nobody has mentioned Phil Vickery's World Cup commentary yet...

I cooked a recipe of his off the BBC website the other day. Did you know he'd retired from playing rugby?

Wink
I heard it here first! Laugh

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:47 pm

I love the trio of Jim Mason, Richie Gray (the other RG) and Peter Wright on BBC Radio Scotland - they have a great laugh, and while they're naturally Scotland-centric, they're also highly critical where criticism is due.

For Scotland's worst, look no further than John Beattie - he seems more in his comfort zone doing drive-time radio than commentating on live rugby. His columns on the Beeb website seem hell-bent on finding a controversial line of argument, often one that he has argued against in previous interviews.

Anyone wishing BBC Scotland had some English-language coverage of the Pro 12, just remember that you'd have Dougie Vipond as presenter...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:24 pm

NZ: Greyghost. (He posted enough to be considered a journalist. Shocked

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm

cant stand sonia mac or inverdale.

Barry John is awful in the WoS.

Andy Howell is the goblin of welsh rugby, find kingsley too smug.

Used to like cliff morgan. smile at Rick O Shea, like gwyn jones,

love jedd thian

sadly though the days of commentators like maclaren are long gone.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:07 am

Jed Thian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUgLQ2K8e2Q

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:25 am

blackcanelion wrote:Jed Thian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUgLQ2K8e2Q

He is brilliant Very Happy

For Wales - Jiffy is the worst, although bearable in most games for the Welsh

I don't know how people don't like Butler - probably the best commentator at the moment.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:33 am

I like Butler especially when teamed up with Moore. The best double act since Pinky and the Brain
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:36 am

My favourite pundit is probably Lynagh, always insightful, balanced, articulate and moderate (enjoy Fitzy & Wallace as well but they don't always get their points across as well). I think Dean Ryan is probably the best at tactical and play analysis. Greenwood and Quinell for their enthusiasm.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:01 am

Justin Marshall is doing very well I think.
I used to love listening to Murray Mexted - just hilarious. Others took him too seriously.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:04 am

blackcanelion wrote:NZ: Greyghost. (He posted enough to be considered a journalist. Shocked
Yeah, greyghost was bang on the money. Where are you GG? Come back Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:15 am

Marshall is very (oddly) unbiased. They all seem to fall into a bit of bias when the chips are down but I think Marshall's overseas experience taught him of both the rift between NH and SH and the need for genuine respect of both and goes out of his way to be fair.

You would think that would be easy as a professional knowing that your commentary is also going to other countries...

Do miss Mexted though... Crying or Very sad had the prefect skill of being hilarious while trying not to be...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon 11 Jun 2012, 4:38 am

Englands worst is Barnes by far, i actually had to mute the TV during the RWC totally ruined the commentary with is constant whining and pessimistic views on English rugby.

Englands best is Greenwood and Brian Moore (not everyones cup of tea coffee )
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Mon 11 Jun 2012, 4:54 am

peter fitzsimmons from aussie. not always accurate, but still pretty funny. and that south african commentator who's been commentating forever. watching games from the republic wouldn't be the same if he wasn't commentating.

as for the kiwis, Smithy as the sideline eye is outstanding

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 11 Jun 2012, 5:23 am

Rod Kafer has to the whinest ever and with the strine thing going sounds like he wants to cry sometimes
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:15 am

I have always enjoyed Murray Mexted, what happened to him?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:58 am

biltongbek wrote:I have always enjoyed Murray Mexted, what happened to him?

He made the mistake of criticising the NZRU over plans for the INL cup, so Sky didn't renew his contract.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:00 am

geez, that's pathetic, what happened to freedom of speech?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:49 am

biltongbek wrote:geez, that's pathetic, what happened to freedom of speech?

Freedom of speech? In New Zealand rugby?

Burn the heretic!
Wink

Sadly the NZ rugby establishment wouldn't get the joke. For it is written that only those who do not wish to be employed within the "system" shalt be allowed to criticise. And even then the critics shalt be persecuted.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:51 am

Sounds pretty much like the same situation we have here in SA, the pundits may only criticise a player as long as he is white.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

biltongbek wrote:Sounds pretty much like the same situation we have here in SA, the pundits may only criticise a player as long as he is white.

Slightly different in NZ. The NZRU resembles the old Soviet Communist Party in that criticism of individuals is allowed. Criticism of groups within the game, or extrapolating conclusions from the acts of individuals is ultimately criticism of the NZRU, who rule over all, and therefore such criticism is severely punished.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Jerry Guscott for England, he's awful. I get the impression he doesn't really watch or understand the game any more.

I quite like all the others we have, I enjoy the variety and the different view they all present. It's nice to hear a fairly balanced spectrum of opinion and I think we're fortunate to have that at the moment.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:54 pm

Hugh Bladen cracks me up. Sounds hammered most of the time. His choice of words is pretty magnanimous but the sheer disappointment his voice shows when the opposition scores is hilarious. Like the other Saffa bloke too. Skinstad talks out of his behind a lot.

Nisbett seems bewildered when teams score against NZ sometimes-"Are they allowed to do that?!" Keith Quinn when Jonah scored against England trumped Gary Neville when Torres scored against Barcelona for underwear soiling hilarity. That takes some doing.

The Aussies are really biased but they have a laugh and that's what I like about them. I like Fitzsimons a lot.

Miss old Bill though.

Worst include Stephen Jones, Andy Howell and Chris Rattue. Jones just picks from cheating, poaching, IRB influencing and hakas to justify his opinion that NZ can't play rugby. Ireland cop it too.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 11 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

England: my favourite is Brian Moore, least favourite Barnes (a "popular" choice it seems).

France: love Castaignede, so knowleadgeable. Don't like Galthie, too biased.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 11 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:England: my favourite is Brian Moore, least favourite Barnes (a "popular" choice it seems).

France: love Castaignede, so knowleadgeable. Don't like Galthie, too biased.

If Galthie is biaised, not sure what you would say about Brian Moore ! I quite like Rafa Ibanez as a pundit but dont think you will much of him anymore in England.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

disneychilly wrote:Hugh Bladen cracks me up. Sounds hammered most of the time.

From the rumours floating around he is quite a thirsty man. guinness
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:30 pm

The incomparable McLaren is the finest that there ever was and probably will be, so let's put Bill and his Hawick Balls to one side for the moment.

The Jedi, Phil Kearns and the legendary Roy and HG are the most fun to listen to. Like watching the game with your drunken Antipodean uncles.

I like Brian Moore very much - you can tell he's a qualified referee because he actually takes time to explain penalties and referees' calls, which McLaren also used to do. Cotter is perfectly fair although his voice needs to drop half an octave and he needs to do whatever is necessary to correct the fact that he sounds like he's talking though a toilet roll tube most of the time.

The worst is Jiffy without a doubt, although some days I think he's the best. He certainly is the most predictable. I also think that Butler should just audition for RADA and be done with it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

Ireland - best Quinlan, Toland, O'Shea, Wallace; worst - we've got a huge selection topped by Hook and McGurk (two windbags), Franno. Ryle Nugent is a sh1te commentator who barely understands the rules of rugby. Michael Corcoran gets very excitable on the radio but apart from that is very good and Hugh Cahill on TV is not bad. And on Sky, the heart drops when I hear that Mark Robson is commentating - god he loves the sound of his own voice and insists on blathering on when the ref is saying something.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down