The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Return

+6
super_realist
George1507
navyblueshorts
Fader
McLaren
barragan
10 posters

Go down

No Return Empty No Return

Post by barragan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 7:30 pm

I accept that there are plenty of scenario's where an NR is the right thing to do. However, whilst recording results for my groups order of merit ( based on club comp results ) I've noticed that the same names appear week after week in the list of scores not returned. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this to be appalling behavior. Apart from the obvious accusation of potential handicap engineering, for me, developing a habit of failing to return a card is just poor etiquette.

barragan

Back to top Go down

No Return Empty Re: No Return

Post by McLaren Sat 02 Jun 2012, 7:50 pm

Does NR not require your handicap to go up by 0.1 anyway?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sat 02 Jun 2012, 9:06 pm

I find there are a few names that always seems to appear on our club comp boards as NR's and always the same culprits. Its like the find returning an NR more acceptable than whatever score they might have.

The worst is in a comp about 6 weeks ago I was drawn with 3 other guys I never played with before and one NR'd on the 2nd green, and walked off. Imo disgusting!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 02 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

"The worst is in a comp about 6 weeks ago I was drawn with 3 other guys I never played with before and one NR'd on the 2nd green, and walked off. Imo disgusting!"

maybe a bit of an over reaction, it is only a round of golf. Why should the guy waste his weekend playing bad golf?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:29 pm

McLaren wrote:maybe a bit of an over reaction, it is only a round of golf. Why should the guy waste his weekend playing bad golf?
Doh thumbsdown picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:57 pm

my away club set up a no walk-in policy back about ten years ago for a short spell. seemingly a lot of players who nr'd were walking in at the 9th and 15th as they are both relatively near the clubhouse. some players who had been deserted, complained that their rhythm was interrupted by this and 3 comp bans were threatened - not sure if they were implemented but the issue reduced.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm

McLaren wrote:Does NR not require your handicap to go up by 0.1 anyway?
yep - but i'm talking about engineering a higher handicap.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:05 pm

Who wants a higher handicap? It is like a mark of shame to have a high handicap.

Surely no one is stupid enough to NR while playing under their handicap?

What would the claim is up? A mickelson like mental fatigue.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm

so they can win events such as foursomes scrambles greensomes etc etc quite a lot of cash in some of them if you do an opens tour.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm

Quite a lot of cash, really?

Surely there is not enough to make worrying about handicap engineering worth it. I guess some folks is a little odd.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:12 am

IMHO, most people who NR regularly are those who are playing off unrealistically low handicaps. They are clinging desperately to the idea that they used to play off 9 or 10, but should be off 16 or more. They enter a competition, struggle with the conditions and don't want anyone to see that they amassed 90, so they lose the card.

People who walk off when not playing well and not seriously injured should be expelled from the club. They are the scourge of golf in this age, and need to be made an example of.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:15 am

McLaren wrote:"The worst is in a comp about 6 weeks ago I was drawn with 3 other guys I never played with before and one NR'd on the 2nd green, and walked off. Imo disgusting!"

maybe a bit of an over reaction, it is only a round of golf. Why should the guy waste his weekend playing bad golf?

Rolling Eyes

Regardless of playing bad golf, if he's entered a comp then even if he NR's at any point imo its common courtesy to continue to mark the card of the player for whom your scoring for!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Just Nr'd twice in the Ladybank. scratch.36 hole open
Lost ball out of nothing both rounds, no point in slowing up everyone's round just to play my fourth shot and my score had already run away from me. Was going up 0.1 regardless.

Mac, maybe the guy had had enough of your company after two holes, it seems to be a running theme with your golf that people are keen to get away from you.Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:47 pm

Super

Re-read the post, I was responding to Fader saying someone walked off.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

NR = Quitter = Loser

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

I still maintain no one is obliged to waste a day of their weekend shooting a score that cannot win or improve their handicap. Walk in, go meet some non golfers and have a good time. How can anyone argue with that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Sun 03 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

you seem to have no thought for playing partners - to walk off is total disrespect for people you are playing with

if you don't want to waste a day on the golf course then stay at home

i've only even NRd once and that was in a medal when i lost a ball on 16 and my score wasnt worth walking back to play another - i played out the last 3 holes to continue marking my opponent's card

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:58 pm

I have NRd a few times after loosing a balls in the rough and being ars... to go back and play another, but I have never walked of the course, I felt that I had to continue as I was marking another players card.

If you enter a comp, then you should not be allowed to walk of the course, unless you are injured, but part of playing in comps is that you have to mark another players card, and sign it, if you fail to do it you should be banned for 6 months from playing in club comps

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm

Slowride wrote:you seem to have no thought for playing partners - to walk off is total disrespect for people you are playing with

if you don't want to waste a day on the golf course then stay at home

i've only even NRd once and that was in a medal when i lost a ball on 16 and my score wasnt worth walking back to play another - i played out the last 3 holes to continue marking my opponent's card

This is my sentiment exactly.

Just looked at the draw sheets for our clubs Singles Summer knockout, and the guy I played with that NR'd after 2 holes is in my half off the draw, if we win our respective first round matches we get a 2nd round tussle. May have to see how many holes he lasts before he concedes through having the hump

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

That's the idea Fader, you are already 4 up on the first tee against someone like that.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm

McLaren wrote:Who wants a higher handicap? It is like a mark of shame to have a high handicap.

Surely no one is stupid enough to NR while playing under their handicap?

That would be me then.... Was 4 under at one stage through 5 & 7 holes respectively on the 2nd course medal on Saturday although still a decent circuit. Fell away a bit, but was still on a decent number through 16. Hit my ball right but it was decided it was on an adjacent fairway so no need to hit provisional. Found a ball in the bunker and saw the Titleist so presumed it was mine, only to find out when it was my shot it wasnt mine. Received zero help from 2 of my 3 playing partners so that made me mad and all the way round had been advised it was a stableford. Had a shot at that hole but was that annoyed, didnt go back to the tee. Birdied the last so was generally delighted with my score bar 17.

Turned out it wasnt a stableford at all so id basically NR after not completing the hole. mad

Once I had calmed down, realised at end of day it was no one's fault but my own, and put it down for one for experience and might have only came down .2 in the end anyway. Very rare for me not to hit a provisional so cant blame anyone else. Still cant believe I NR'd tho after having 6 birdies and -4 at one stage off 6 hcp Doh

Still got a late call up yesterday for the interclub match at Carnoustie yesterday so that softened the blow.... OK

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:03 pm

should you not have submitted your card anyway? under stableford adjustment you may have hit your buffer zone anyway and at least stayed the same if not a small cut

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:55 am

Yes I still submitted it, and yes you were right I got a very small cut. Wont be doing that again anyway...

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down