The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should one of the Scots teams pick up Big Jason White? In fact who would you like to see brought in for Edinburgh or Glasgow

+4
EST
allyt2k
EWT Spoons
nickj
8 posters

Go down

Should one of the Scots teams pick up Big Jason White? In fact who would you like to see brought in for Edinburgh or Glasgow Empty Should one of the Scots teams pick up Big Jason White? In fact who would you like to see brought in for Edinburgh or Glasgow

Post by nickj Fri 25 May - 15:11

I know this article is a bit old but I think the SRU would be missing a trick if they didnt bring White back for a season with a view to him mentoring and coaching the next generation. He's more than capable of playing at a high standard IMO. I'd say he's as much of a talisman for Scots rugby as Mossy is.

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sport/rugby/rugby-jason-white-regret-at-failure-to-clinch-return-to-warriors-1-2290571

Anyway who would you like to see brought in by Glasgow or Edinburgh for next season? So far we looking at:

Glasgow
INS
Angus Macdonald (LK, Coca Cola West Red Sparks)
Tim Swinson (LK, Newcastle)
Viliami Ma’afu (N8, Sagamihara Dynoboars)
Sean Lamont (WG, Scarlets) Fergus Thomson (HK)

OUTS
Richie Gray (LK, Sale)
Rob Verbakel (LK)
Calum Forrester (FL)
Johnnie Beattie (N8, Montpellier)
Rob Dewey (CT)
David Lemi (WG, Worcester)
Colin Shaw (WG)
Federico Martín Aramburú (WG, retired)

Edinburgh
INS
John Yapp (PR, Cardiff Blues)
WP Nel (PR, Cheetahs)
Isak van der Westhuizen (LK, Cheetahs)
Perry-John Parker (LK, Esher)
Dimitri Basilaia (FL, Valence d'Agen)
Richie Rees (SH, Cardiff Blues)
Brendan McKibbin (SH, Waratahs)???
Greig Tonks (CT, Northampton)
Ben Atiga (CT, Otago)
Mike Penn (FB, Worcester)

OUTS
Kyle Traynor (PR)
Andrew Kelly (HK)
Ulyses Gamboa (PR)
Jack Gilding (PR)
Esteban Lozada (LK, Agen)
Alan MacDonald (FL)
Mike Blair (SH)
Phil Godman (FH)
Jim Thompson (WG)
Chris Paterson (FB, retired)

nickj

Back to top Go down

Should one of the Scots teams pick up Big Jason White? In fact who would you like to see brought in for Edinburgh or Glasgow Empty Re: Should one of the Scots teams pick up Big Jason White? In fact who would you like to see brought in for Edinburgh or Glasgow

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 25 May - 15:52

nickj wrote:Brendan McKibbin (SH, Waratahs)???

Is this wishful thinking or have I completely missed this?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Should one of the Scots teams pick up Big Jason White? In fact who would you like to see brought in for Edinburgh or Glasgow Empty Re: Should one of the Scots teams pick up Big Jason White? In fact who would you like to see brought in for Edinburgh or Glasgow

Post by nickj Fri 25 May - 16:02

Wishful thinking I'm afraid

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by allyt2k Fri 25 May - 16:06

on jason he would not fit into the way edinburgh play, would of been good for glasgow but they have signed angus so i cant see him coming back to edinburgh or glasgow.

i think he's already said he is staying in australia for atleast another season, if he doesn't get capped next year then edinburgh could nab him

so wishful thinking just now

i still want sheills from newcastle to edinburgh but i think he's still got another year on the contract

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 25 May - 16:15

Hi All, first post here.

Although i'm sure that White could easily cope with one more season in the Rabo, it looks as if both teams have recruited with a longer term plan in mind. I think this is fair enough given the limited number of playing positions in Scottish rugby.

As an aside, I really like the look of the Glasgow signings, especially in the pack. With the addition of Ma'afu, MaCdonald and Swinson, Glasgow can now field two packs of comparable strength, amazing to think when you look back a couple of seasons!

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 25 May - 16:23

Welcome EST. I agree. Both teams have really upped their squad strength. Some may say that has been to the detriment of the Scots qualified players and next generation but I'm not so sure.

However I'd say recruiting Big Jase would benefit the youngsters. I'd want a guy like that next to me in training, passing on his experience and giving me advice

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 25 May - 16:25

nickj wrote:Wishful thinking I'm afraid

Gutted you had my hopes up there. Ah well you could yet be right.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 25 May - 16:44

nickj wrote: However I'd say recruiting Big Jase would benefit the youngsters. I'd want a guy like that next to me in training, passing on his experience and giving me advice

I agree, and I would hope he finds a role somewhere in Scottish rugby in the future, but for me his age just goes against him this time around.

On a more general note, I am delighted to see a loosening of the purse strings at the SRU, it is long overdue. I dont have a problem with NSQ players, as long as they really add to the team. Edinburgh and Glasgow must both continue to grow to build the game in Scotland, and in this day and age that means attracting top class overseas talent. What I dont agree with is seeing a middle of the road NSQ player taking up places when there is a scottish equivelant of camparable talent, and I feel that a few of the recent signings made by both teams fall into this category (read Penn, Mcguigan, Yapp). But all in all the future looks a lot better than it did at the start of the current campaign.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Fri 25 May - 17:27

Out of the signings made so far this is how I see them

INS
Angus Macdonald (LK, Coca Cola West Red Sparks), Possibly a good sighing but what bothers me is that he was never considered that great and has already spent a few years in Japan so probably one last pay day

Tim Swinson (LK, Newcastle), Looks like this could be a good choice bit like Cox and Ryder last year though thought he would have been in more need in Edinburgh than Glasgow

Viliami Ma’afu (N8, Sagamihara Dynoboars), looks like a man on the up but will have to prove himself, only down side I can see is that that if he does really well the 2 starting 8's in Scotland will be NSQ

Sean Lamont (WG, Scarlets), Bit like White but a few more miles left on the clock, hopefully he will be able to help bring the youngsters throiugh

Fergus Thomson (HK), thought he retired

Edinburgh
INS
John Yapp (PR, Cardiff Blues), not too impressed if I am honest, squad player

WP Nel (PR, Cheetahs), I have high hopes for him and he seems to be going well in super rugby this season so lets hope he comes good. The one I see as potentially the best signing made this season the only down side is it is probably one of the most important positions on the pitch and look at the trouble the Irish are having with NIQ props

Isak van der Westhuizen (LK, Cheetahs), Like Swinson looks like he could be a good player the only down side is that he is NSQ but Edinburgh needed some locks badly

Perry-John Parker (LK, Esher), don't know if he is SQ but not overly excited

Dimitri Basilaia (FL, Valence d'Agen), Looks like he could be a great player but would not like to see that at Micnallys expense

Richie Rees (SH, Cardiff Blues), Good player and will probably get on well with Edinburgh

Greig Tonks (CT, Northampton), Squad player from Northampton thought that they have enough backs but could cover fullback with Brown

Ben Atiga (CT, Otago), A player who once looked good but that was a good few years ago and can't even get a super contract even with 15 teams

Mike Penn (FB, Worcester), might do ok will have to see how he gets on, another squad player

There are very few on the list who are real quality and would make it into the Irish, Welsh or top English/French teams. What is worrying is that you can nearly make a team of NSQ players from the 2 Scottish teams now like the Welsh and the Irish BUT they have 4 teams !!! I would rather have quality over quantity. Is the Scottish system really that bad at producing talent that there are not a few good prospects in the premiership or U20 worth developing (taking a punt on) rather than trying it with youngsters from England ??

If we had a few more teams I might not be so concerned, if it looked like a one off stop gap till the development structure was sorted out then I would not be concerned but with this and actively searching the globe for anyone who once had IRN BRU it does not send out the right message to any young player.

It basically says if you are not involved with the Scottish system before 17 forget it.

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Fri 25 May - 17:30

Reading that back it is quite negative SORRY

Just the way I have been feeling when reading about some of the signings and our search for SCOTS to play for the national team

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri 25 May - 20:56

SGD prop wrote:Out of the signings made so far this is how I see them

INS
Angus Macdonald (LK, Coca Cola West Red Sparks), Possibly a good sighing but what bothers me is that he was never considered that great and has already spent a few years in Japan so probably one last pay day

Tim Swinson (LK, Newcastle), Looks like this could be a good choice bit like Cox and Ryder last year though thought he would have been in more need in Edinburgh than Glasgow

Viliami Ma’afu (N8, Sagamihara Dynoboars), looks like a man on the up but will have to prove himself, only down side I can see is that that if he does really well the 2 starting 8's in Scotland will be NSQ

Sean Lamont (WG, Scarlets), Bit like White but a few more miles left on the clock, hopefully he will be able to help bring the youngsters throiugh

Fergus Thomson (HK), thought he retired

Edinburgh
INS
John Yapp (PR, Cardiff Blues), not too impressed if I am honest, squad player

WP Nel (PR, Cheetahs), I have high hopes for him and he seems to be going well in super rugby this season so lets hope he comes good. The one I see as potentially the best signing made this season the only down side is it is probably one of the most important positions on the pitch and look at the trouble the Irish are having with NIQ props

Isak van der Westhuizen (LK, Cheetahs), Like Swinson looks like he could be a good player the only down side is that he is NSQ but Edinburgh needed some locks badly

Perry-John Parker (LK, Esher), don't know if he is SQ but not overly excited

Dimitri Basilaia (FL, Valence d'Agen), Looks like he could be a great player but would not like to see that at Micnallys expense

Richie Rees (SH, Cardiff Blues), Good player and will probably get on well with Edinburgh

Greig Tonks (CT, Northampton), Squad player from Northampton thought that they have enough backs but could cover fullback with Brown

Ben Atiga (CT, Otago), A player who once looked good but that was a good few years ago and can't even get a super contract even with 15 teams

Mike Penn (FB, Worcester), might do ok will have to see how he gets on, another squad player

There are very few on the list who are real quality and would make it into the Irish, Welsh or top English/French teams. What is worrying is that you can nearly make a team of NSQ players from the 2 Scottish teams now like the Welsh and the Irish BUT they have 4 teams !!! I would rather have quality over quantity. Is the Scottish system really that bad at producing talent that there are not a few good prospects in the premiership or U20 worth developing (taking a punt on) rather than trying it with youngsters from England ??

If we had a few more teams I might not be so concerned, if it looked like a one off stop gap till the development structure was sorted out then I would not be concerned but with this and actively searching the globe for anyone who once had IRN BRU it does not send out the right message to any young player.

It basically says if you are not involved with the Scottish system before 17 forget it.

I'm actually quite positive about the signings. Not every NSQ signing can be a superstar; we simply can't afford that. I won't comment on Glasgow, apart to say they already have good squad depth and are building. Edinburgh have no squad depth and the cohort Bradley has signed addresses this. A number of the less known signings are on 1 year deals, so if it doesn't work out no big loss.

As for blocking young SQ guys? If they are not good enough then why play them? To get hammered every time they turn up as we saw with this year's second/third team. That doesn't build their game, if on the other hand they are introduced to a team which is winning and learn from that team then they will develop.

All good as far as I'm concerned.

PS think there's one more signing to come for Edinburgh.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sat 26 May - 9:44

EST wrote:
nickj wrote: However I'd say recruiting Big Jase would benefit the youngsters. I'd want a guy like that next to me in training, passing on his experience and giving me advice

I agree, and I would hope he finds a role somewhere in Scottish rugby in the future, but for me his age just goes against him this time around.

On a more general note, I am delighted to see a loosening of the purse strings at the SRU, it is long overdue. I dont have a problem with NSQ players, as long as they really add to the team. Edinburgh and Glasgow must both continue to grow to build the game in Scotland, and in this day and age that means attracting top class overseas talent. What I dont agree with is seeing a middle of the road NSQ player taking up places when there is a scottish equivelant of camparable talent, and I feel that a few of the recent signings made by both teams fall into this category (read Penn, Mcguigan, Yapp). But all in all the future looks a lot better than it did at the start of the current campaign.

McGuigan is Scottish Qualified.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 26 May - 10:21

EST wrote:Hi All, first post here.

Although i'm sure that White could easily cope with one more season in the Rabo, it looks as if both teams have recruited with a longer term plan in mind. I think this is fair enough given the limited number of playing positions in Scottish rugby.

As an aside, I really like the look of the Glasgow signings, especially in the pack. With the addition of Ma'afu, MaCdonald and Swinson, Glasgow can now field two packs of comparable strength, amazing to think when you look back a couple of seasons!

Welcome EST! OK

I'm assuming you're a Scottish rugby man - good to have more of us.

I'm pretty happy with the Edinburgh signings - I think our Saffer contingent will be a great asset to us, and I am hopefuly that Atiga can regain his world young player of the year form.

As I've said here before - we need another hooker and winger before I am fully content!

Such a shame Grant Shiells has another year left because I would be delighted to get him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down