The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Pietersen Fined for Twitter Comment

+10
JDizzle
mystiroakey
msp83
Mad for Chelsea
Stella
liverbnz
Shelsey93
GSC
Fists of Fury
Duty281
14 posters

Go down

Kevin Pietersen Fined for Twitter Comment Empty Kevin Pietersen Fined for Twitter Comment

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 May 2012, 10:29 am

Kevin Pietersen has been docked an undisclosed fee for writing on Twitter:

"Can somebody please tell me how Knight has worked his way into the commentary box for Tests? Ridiculous."

So essentially the ECB is telling KP he's not allowed to have an opinion. Ridiculous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/18185244

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Kevin Pietersen Fined for Twitter Comment Empty Re: Kevin Pietersen Fined for Twitter Comment

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 24 May 2012, 10:31 am

Utterly ridiculous, a very strange move by the ECB, and clearly a case of their pandering to Sky, their money men.

Nick Knight himself has said he is seeking no apology from Pietersen, and that he is more than entitled to his own opinion.

Very bad treatment of a key England player, it has to be said.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Kevin Pietersen Fined for Twitter Comment Empty Re: Kevin Pietersen Fined for Twitter Comment

Post by GSC Thu 24 May 2012, 10:46 am

Just saying what the nation is thinking surely.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 24 May 2012, 10:48 am

I like and respect Knight (aside from the obvious Warks connection). I understand he can perhaps be a little dry at times but he speaks a lot of sense.

However, that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a stupid decision from the ECB.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 24 May 2012, 10:48 am

I think that KP was being pretty nasty (and stupid) in criticising somebody doing an honest job (it wasn't him who decided he should cover Tests), and who was sure to see or hear about his comments. However, it is true that what he said probably reflects the general public view that Knight is the weak link in a team of superstars, many of whom are superior pundits (e.g. Atherton, Hussain, Holding). KP shouldn't say anything as Knight has to analyse him, and is now in a difficult position when it comes to interviewing him etc. in the future.

Should the ECB have fined him? Personally, I don't think so, even if the fine will have little effect on him.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 24 May 2012, 10:49 am

Fists has it spot on with the pandering to Sky comment.

At the end of the day KP is just tweeting what a lot cricket fans are thinking. When I read the tweet orginally, I thought to myself, 'thankfully I'm not the only one who thinks Nick Knight is an irritant'.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 24 May 2012, 10:52 am

liverbnz wrote:Fists has it spot on with the pandering to Sky comment.

At the end of the day KP is just tweeting what a lot cricket fans are thinking. When I read the tweet orginally, I thought to myself, 'thankfully I'm not the only one who thinks Nick Knight is an irritant'.

I thought that, although I also thought that it could get KP in trouble at the time.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 11:05 am

If I am honest do the players really need to be tweeting such silly remarks??

I think the ECB just should've had a quiet word in his ear and just told him to be a bit less subtle. KP should be more focused with what happens on the pitch, not who commentates on matches!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 24 May 2012, 11:15 am

Agree on both counts, LK.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 24 May 2012, 11:19 am

A fine was fine. He's been fined before and should have known better.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 11:27 am

He should take a leaf out of the Anderson book. He was asked about what he thought about what the commentators said about his bowling at times and also about the batsmen not performing and he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'And?' and went on to say that they are entitled to their views. Anderson was solely focused on the team and supporting the team.

KP is a colourful character and brutally honest at times and also a very confident character. I remember him at the Cardiff Test against Australia when he holed out to the fielder with that attempted sweep and when he did the interview (I think it was Nasser) and he was being asked why he played such a shot and did he need to. Kevin was like I am not going to change. He above anyone else is highly scrutinised for his batting if he under performs and I think maybe where he can take such criticism from players such as Botham, Atherton, Gower or Hussein, maybe Knight is a step far for him.

Least he isn't in the Twitter league that is Joey Barton!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 24 May 2012, 12:37 pm

not massively fussed TBH, I'm pretty sure KP doesn't care about the fine (somehow I don't think money is something he lacks). They were rather daft comments, and indeed this is the ECB pandering to the money men, but that's how the world works I'm afraid.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 24 May 2012, 8:50 pm

KP could have done better, but seriously over the top from the ECB. Don't think KP cares too much, anyways cricinfo report said it was an undisclosed amount, should be nothing significant. The ECB just wanted to send a message to sky that all's well, and that's all!. Overall, a little nonsense!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 24 May 2012, 10:11 pm

kp has been saying some good stuff in recent press- not that bothered about him having a little pop at knight. However point is with this pc world gone mad attitude in hindsight he shouldnt have got involved in that!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 25 May 2012, 9:13 am

No Nick Knight for the 2nd Test. Yay!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 25 May 2012, 9:14 am

It is unrelated to the KP incident, we should add.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 25 May 2012, 9:20 am

liverbnz wrote:No Nick Knight for the 2nd Test. Yay!

What's the reason behind that?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 25 May 2012, 9:22 am

Purely co-incidental, might be on holiday.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 25 May 2012, 9:32 am

On holiday?

Doubtful given he's just been promoted to do the tests.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 25 May 2012, 9:56 am

Will CMJ be available on TMS?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 25 May 2012, 10:59 am

Hasn't Shane Warne come in to do this match? I'd imagine it's just a straight swap between him and Knight.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 25 May 2012, 11:11 am

Will CMJ be available on TMS?

I think he only avoids the Lords test because of a possible conflict of interests.

Blowers has just said CMJ is ill and at home.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 26 May 2012, 3:48 pm

I like Knight.

I can see where the decision's coming from, I presume as part of their contracts England players are forbidden from publicly expressing criticism of their major sponsor. It is not just a case of airing his opinion, as an England player Pietersen speaks for the ECB, and in today's professional environment he should have known better.

In France we have similar rules in place as to what national team players can't do in public, which includes social media, and I remind the juniors that by accepting to play for your country you also have certain responsabilities. If we had a major sponsor such as Sky we certainly wouldn't allow public criticism of their decisions. Standard stuff whether you like it or not.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 26 May 2012, 5:35 pm

Teacup

Storm in...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 27 May 2012, 6:22 pm

Pietersen signed a contract for which he pays a lot of money.

He broke the terms of the contract and was fined. Same thing happened last year when he refused to drive the official car as he wanted his own sponsor.

If he does not like his contract of employment he should just bugger off.

(ps I hope he does not, but he does continually behave like a prat)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down