The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen

+10
Biltong
justified sinner
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
funnyExiledScot
Dorothy_Mantooth
FerN
profitius
George Carlin
formerly known as Sam
RDW
14 posters

Go down

Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen Empty Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 9:45 am

Edinburgh Twitter has just revealed that 26 year old 6ft 5, 18 stone Izak Van Der Westhuizen will be signing from the Free state Cheetahs! No idea who the guy is, but think it's fair to say he should add some grunt to the pack!

Biltongbek - I'm looking at you here....

http://edinburghrugby.org/news/edinburgh-news/4200-south-african-lock-signs

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 22 May 2012, 10:12 am; edited 3 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen Empty Re: Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 9:52 am

He's from Super 15 and has played every game for his club so far this year....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen Empty Re: Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 22 May 2012, 9:58 am

Personally I prefer the small signings that become big players. Mulipola was unheard of before he arrived at Tigers just before Christmas but if he was available now anyone signing him would consider it a coup.

Edinburgh do need to get some extra grunt in that pack before next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 May 2012, 11:02 am

6’5”, 18st - Currie Cup and S15 experience. Sounds a bit more like it.

Biltong - your thoughts?

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 22 May 2012, 11:07 am

Edinburgh are wasting no time in signing players! They should be able to challenge for a playoff spot in the Rabo now.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Tue 22 May 2012, 11:14 am

He doesn't seem bad, but he also never made me think that he is going to compete in being a springbok. I don't watch that many Cheetahs games so there might be things I am missing. South Africa does have younger locks that looks like they will be challenging to be in the Springbok side before him.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 11:16 am

profitius wrote:Edinburgh are wasting no time in signing players! They should be able to challenge for a playoff spot in the Rabo now.

That's the idea! Have to say I'm ridiculously excited about the new season now. Our first team won't have changed a significant amount but we will now have back up pretty much everywhere. So good news - our first team was good enough to get to a HK Semi final, so hopefully the extra backup will mean we can challenge all year round.

The teams so far (more signings to come apparently!).

First team

1 Chunk
2 Ford
3 WP Nel
4 Gilchrist
5 Van Der Westhuizen
6 Denton
7 Rennie
8 Talei
9 Leck
10 Laidlaw
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 De Luca
14 Jones
15 Tom Brown

Bench Yapp, Lawrie, Cross, Cox, Basilaia, Rees, Leonard, Cairns

That is a dam good first squad!

2nd team with Internationalists away

1 Yapp
2 Lawrie
3 WP Nel
4 Van Der Westhuizen
5 Cox
6 Talei
7 Grant
8 Basilaia (Georgian national captain!)
9 Leck
10 Leonard
11 Penn
12 Atiga
13 Cairns
14 Dougie Fife
15 Tonks

Bench Hislop, Walker, Niven, Perry-John Parker, McInally, Rees, Hunter, Farndale.

That is a significantly better back up team compared to last year. Front row and wing cover is very light, but not many teams have good reserve front rows to the 2nd team!

I know there are more signings to come, so we definitely need another hooker, a loose head and maybe one more wing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 22 May 2012, 11:36 am

Some good signings from Edinburgh. Surely anymore signings have to be Scottish qualified?

I think the balance between developing Scottish talent and keeping the squad competitive all year round is just about right. Another couple of NQS players and I would say the balance would be wrong.

Signing decent overseas players is fine as it allows for more rest for the Scottish internationals, while not hurting the team too much. However there has to be places available in the starting XV for the youngsters coming through.

Overall its good to see Scottish teams strengthening over the Summer as opposed to taking steps backwards.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 11:44 am

I agree DM - if it was an outstanding signing I could maybe cope with 1 or 2 more foreigners, but the only problem is that there aren't that many Scottish players who are available!

I think it is fair to say everyone would be delighted if Sheils signed from Newcastle, and if they can find a Hooker with a Scottish granny then fine by me.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 22 May 2012, 11:51 am

Is Sheils out of contract or are people just guessing about his availability depending on Newcastle's relegation?

I agree about the lack of available Scots. I do think the SRU has to look at implementing a Max NQS policy in match-day squads. 5 or 6 should be the max.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 11:53 am

Not sure, but if he's still in contract and the guy has any international ambitions he'll be hoping Newcastle don't get relegated!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 May 2012, 1:20 pm

This signing has some promise to it. He's no giant at 6ft 5 but then again at 18st + he's clearly going to be solid. The fact that he's playing regularly in the Super 15 says quite a bit.

Encouraging.

That second string you posted RDW is by some distance better than the second string we endured this season. Top half of the Rabo next season should be a minimum.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 1:47 pm

FES - I'm OK with him only being 6ft 5. Gilchrist is 6ft 7 or something and when you combine it with Denton, also 6ft 5, we've got good options at lineout time (if Ford doesn't have another meltdown like the end of this season).

Plus he's a free state saffer through and through - he'll be hard as nails. I like the things he's saying too - likes nothing more than carrying the ball and hitting lots of rucks!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 22 May 2012, 2:00 pm

VAN DER WESTHUIZEN JOINS EDINBURGH

Edinburgh have confirmed that Izak van der Westhuizen is to join the club from the Cheetahs at the end of the Currie Cup season.

The 26-year-old lock, who was capped by South Africa at Under-18s level, has started all 12 of the Cheetahs' games in this season's Super Rugby.

However he has now agreed to join Edinburgh on a two-year deal.

Van der Westhuizen told the club's official site: "I want to test myself against the top players in Europe so when I found out Edinburgh Rugby were looking for a player with my skill-set, I was desperate to sign.

"I like the pace the boys play with, it's very similar to a Super Rugby style which gives me a lot of confidence that I'll fit in well.

"I run the set-piece for the Cheetahs but, when the ball's in play, I like to be in the centre of the park getting stuck into the physical side of the game and hitting rucks.

"I'm really looking forward to joining the club. They've some real talent joining the squad and some quality Scottish players re-signed too so I think it's the ideal time to be part of a really exciting squad."

He should clog up the midfield nicely at Embra, standing at first receiver!! Wink

Even tho Edinburgh have 2 international looseheads, I still consider that position to be the major weakness of this squad - if you make another signing there, its unlikely to be Shiells tho:

(from the Falcons website)

Newcastle Falcons are pleased to announce that captain James Hudson has penned a two-year contract extension at Kingston Park.
The 29-year-old 6ft’ 7” lock forward moved to the north-east in the summer of 2009 from London Irish, and has since established himself as a natural born leader for the ambitious Falcons.

Hudson told the club website: “I’m delighted to have signed a new contract and be a part of the club going forward. The club has a really good future and I want to help the Falcons achieve great success.”

Newcastle host Exeter Chiefs on Sunday in the LV= Cup knowing a win will seal there passage to the semi-final, a challenge Hudson is relishing.

“You don’t get many opportunities to play in big cup games,” said Hudson.

“I’m a really strong believer in cup competitions and this is an excellent chance for us to achieve something. We need to put on a good performance for our fans on Sunday.”

And with spirits high following the contract renewals of wing ace Luke Fielden and accomplished forward Grant Shiells, Hudson is appealing to fans to get behind the Falcons at Kingston Park (kick-off 3pm).

“Our fans are massively important to us and it would be great to see a big turn out this weekend. We want the fans to keep coming back and the only way to get them back is if we win games and play some exciting, entertaining rugby,” added Hudson.

Head coach Alan Tait said: “James is a fantastic role model for the rest of the players at the club. It’s great news for the club and the region that he’s committed his future here.

“There were other clubs interested in him but he could see what we were trying to do here, and he chose to stay with us.”

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 2:07 pm

When was that article from ASBO? Thought Tait was no longer the manager?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 22 May 2012, 2:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:When was that article from ASBO? Thought Tait was no longer the manager?
Back in Jan/Feb time this year OK (Taity was still hanging on then - just!)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 2:20 pm

Baws. Can only see the other signings being foreign now. Hopefully they can find some one Scottish qualified though because if not it'll definitely tip the balance too far.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 May 2012, 2:37 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:He should clog up the midfield nicely at Embra, standing at first receiver!! Wink

Someone has to replace Chunk eventually!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 22 May 2012, 9:05 pm

Apologies for cross posting, but given the Scarlets have also signed another Cheetahs lock who we were linked with will be interesting to see which one does better next year.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 May 2012, 9:23 pm

Sorry guys, only saw the thread now. He is a decent player, haven't really caught the eye of any previous Springbok coach, but that is quite understandable with Matfield, Botha, Bekker and Rossouw in the picture for the past number of years. He is probably one of those players that could still develop quite a bit more, one thing I can tell you is the Cheetahs coach Naka Drotske won't be happy, e is losing George Earl already, so losing Izak as well isn't good
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 May 2012, 9:38 pm

biltongbek - why are these guys all leaving SA? surely can't be money if Edinburgh are seen as the more attractive option financially??

Also if you had to chose between Earl and Van Der Westhuizen, who would you chose and why??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 22 May 2012, 9:38 pm

Thanks Biltong.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 22 May 2012, 9:58 pm

Nice signing! I actually remember reading on a forum a few weeks ago about this guy being rumoured to join Edinburgh, but i think there was some debate about wether he would be allowed to leave Cheetahs.. great for Edinburgh that he has! I'm assuming he was well liked/valued with the Cheetahs then?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 22 May 2012, 10:18 pm

Looks like he should good be a good signing for us having read some reports on him from South Africa, a decent sized unit who likes the rough stuff and loves to carry the ball.
RWD, I think one of the reasons why there are quite a few players leaving South Africa and especially the cheetahs and the lions is due to the uncertainty surrounding next season and what south african teams will be playing in the super rugby. With the southern kings being told they have a guaranteed spot for next year there is a bit of confusion surrounding what will happen to the other teams especially the lions and cheetahs who have been rumoured to be merging again into the old team the cats.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 22 May 2012, 10:31 pm

Wasn't aware of this? Could any of our S African posters enlighten me please.
?

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 May 2012, 7:10 am

Cheetahs and Lions will never merge, when the Super rugby competition was only 4 teams from SA, these two teams played as the CATS, they were disappointing, couldn't get along and there was huge infighting amongst the players of the two teams.

The Lions are being politically pressurised and the most likely team to go, they have also been the worst team in the competition for some years now. Financially they are in the dwang.

It seems Scotland clubs have decided they will target the Cheetahs as these players aren't earning the bigger money like the Bulls, sharks and stormers, and can get these quality players for cheaper than the rest.

WP Nel, George Earl and now Izak v d Westhuizen all from the Cheethas region is leaving for Scotland.

I think it is more a recruitment drive based on economics, whilst still gaining quality players.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 May 2012, 7:11 am

I won't be surprised if a few more cheethas move to Scotland. It is actually a very sound methodology used by these clubs when you think about it from a Scottish perspective.

The cheetahs plays the best brand of rugby in SA, by far the most exciting side to watch. Problem for the Cheethas has always been finances, they don't have a big metropolis with big financial backing, so they have been the feeder team for the richer franchises in SA rugby for a long time now.

When you consider that Grey College, THE rugby school in SA is in Bloemfontein, it stands to reason there is a lot of talent there. Sadly the Cheetahs have never been able to hold onto players once they have established themselves as upcoming stars.

The one player that earns all my respect is Juan Smith, who has never forsaken the Cheetahs for the allmighty dollar.

Of course from a South African perspective, this is a hard pill to swallow, seeing so many youngsters leaving.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 May 2012, 7:21 am

The latest regarding the Kings.

Courtesy of Sport24.

A delegation of the leadership of the South African Rugby Union (SARU) made a scheduled appearance before the committee to discuss a number of issues, including the Southern Kings.

“The Kings will play in the competition in 2013, but not at the expense of one of the other franchises,” Jurie Roux, the CEO of SARU, told the committee.

“Resolving that part of the equation is the issue at hand and we have a number of proposals to take to the Exco (Executive Council) and ultimately to the General Council for a decision in July.”

How SARU will resolve the issue remains a mystery though, with a local newspaper reporting on Tuesday that SARU is looking to possibly stick with its initial decision – where the last placed South African team in this year’s Super Rugby competition will drop out. The Lions are currently the last-placed SA team, 13 points behind the Cheetahs, which would see them dropping out at the expense of the Kings. The report also indicated that a possible Cats merger (when the Cheetahs and Lions played as one team between 1998 and 2005) is out of the question.

SARU also briefed the committee on its Strategic Transformation Plan – which has been newly aligned to the Department of Sport’s National Sports and Recreation Plan – and also on the progress to establishing four SARU academies as a pilot project in Boland, SWD, Border and Eastern Province.

“It was a very productive and useful meeting, which gave us an opportunity to share our plans with the committee and understand the priorities and concerns of our parliamentary leaders,” said Roux.

“It was gratifying to be complimented on the improved quality of our presentation and for the professionalism of our organisation

Politics, politics, and BS.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 May 2012, 7:31 am

Ooft - and we thought the sru had lots of politics!

Thanks biltongbek.

Who would you rate the most - earl or vdw?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 May 2012, 7:37 am

Well if you consider that v d Westhuizen has been playing first choice for the Cheetahs the whole season and Earl has been relegated to Griquas to play Vodacom cup, then you would consider v d Westhuizen to be the better player.

I am not sure why George Earl played vodacom cup this year. It could have been contractual as the Cheetahs "loan" players from Griquas as they are one of the supporting provinces for the Cheetahs during Super rugby.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 May 2012, 7:39 am

Excellent. Glad we got our man then and the scarlets got earl!

How's nel been playing?

Really should watch some cheetahs games now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 May 2012, 7:44 am

You should, just a shame their talisman Goosen got injured a few weeks ago, their backline has lost quite a bit due to his ability to offload, hit the gap and general play.

Nel has had a good season, he is a bit of a conundrum for me though, between him and Coenie Oosthuizen with Adriaan Strauss at hooker they are a formidable front row, and in the same match you can get varying performances from them in the scrum. they can be dominant for 40 minutes, and then all of a sudden they get penalised a lot, and struggle, only to come right all of a sudden to scrum really well.

Nel isn't the greatest ball carrier though, Oosthuizen is immense with ball in hand and Nel although not bad, doesn't seem to legdrive through tackles, so he is easier to bring down.

But all in all a very good signing.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 May 2012, 7:50 am

Really can't wait for next season now - so excited about these two guys in particular, plus they are only mid 20s so just coming on to their prime. You'll have to teach me some afrikaans chants for them when they play for us!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 May 2012, 7:57 am

Laugh You'll have to give me some chants, and I'll translate them for you.

By the way, I just read George Earle has signed with Scarlets.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 May 2012, 8:06 am

Yeah that was announced yesterday too I think. Scarlets fans seem pretty happy but, having also been lined up to get him, I'm glad we got vdw instead.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 23 May 2012, 8:09 am

I think Scarlet fans will be happy with any front five signing to be honest!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 May 2012, 3:48 pm

gowales wrote:I think Scarlet fans will be happy with any front five signing to be honest!

Yep
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 28 May 2012, 9:53 am

EDINBURGH RUGBY ALIGNED ELITE DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS (2012/13)
Robert McAlpine (Stirling County RFC)
Robin Hislop (Boroughmuir RFC)
Dougie Fife (Currie RFC)
Gregor Hunter (Gala RFC)
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Accies RFC)
Jamie Farndale (Edinburgh Accies RFC)
George Turner (Stewart’s Melville RFC)
Sean Kennedy (Stirling County RFC)
Sam Hidalgo Clyne (Heriot’s RFC)
Alex Allan (Loughborough University)
Phil Cringle (Kirkham Grammar School/Douglas RFC)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 28 May 2012, 9:58 am

Can't see many of those seeing much game time this year ASBO, and have no idea who a few of them are!

Hopefully we'll see more of Dougie Fife, Gregor Hunter and McAlpine this year - they've had a year of pro rugby under their belts to mature physically, have played a few games during the season and really need to kick on now and push for places.

Jamie Farndale looks an exciting prospect on the wing too.

We definitely need wingers!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 28 May 2012, 10:52 am

Hislop, Allan and Cringle are all props - in the 6'2" range and 17-odd stone - hopefully at least one will develop. Kennedy has been one of the scrum-halves for the 7s side, and Hidalgo-Clyne is very well thought of as a 10/15

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 28 May 2012, 10:54 am

Hislop didn't look 6ft 2 and 17 stone to me - he looked tiny!

Hopfully some of the young props can come good in the next few years - we really need new props ready to come in after the next world cup when most of the current lot will be over the hill.

As I've said before of Hidalgo-Clyne - he looks good in attack but is a revolving door in defence!

Looking forward to seeing what the under 20s can do this year - they have a very exciting backline but my worry is they get butchered up front against a massive Aus, French and Argentinian pack.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 28 May 2012, 10:59 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hislop didn't look 6ft 2 and 17 stone to me - he looked tiny!

Hopefully some of the young props can come good in the next few years - we really need new props ready to come in after the next world cup when most of the current lot will be over the hill.

As I've said before of Hidalgo-Clyne - he looks good in attack but is a revolving door in defence!

Looking forward to seeing what the under 20s can do this year - they have a very exciting backline but my worry is they get butchered up front against a massive Aus, French and Argentinian pack.
True, I meant the two new faces OK

I know what you mean about Sam H-C, but he's only 18, so quite physically inferior to those that he is currently playing with - it's his skills with ball in hand that catch the eye tho

Sadly, you are probably right about the JWC, altho they were only a score behind the French in the U20 6Ns

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 28 May 2012, 1:08 pm

Glasgow EDP:

Adam Ashe (Back-row, Stirling County)
Nick Campbell (Lock, Glasgow Warriors/Glasgow Hawks)
Bruce Dick (Centre, Melrose)
Jonny Gray (Lock, Hamilton)
George Hunter (Prop, Glasgow Warriors/Glasgow Hawks)
James Johnstone (Centre, Glasgow Warriors/Currie)
Murray McConnell (Scrum-half, Glasgow Warriors/Ayr)
Finn Russell (Stand-off, Falkirk)
Fergus Scott (Hooker, Currie)
Callum Templeton (Lock/back-row, Glasgow Warriors/Ayr)
Fraser Thomson (Full-back, Melrose)

Edinburgh sign 2nd row Izak Van Der Westhuizen Smiley-rpg009

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 28 May 2012, 2:04 pm

Of the two lists I think we'll see a bit of the following this season:

Edinburgh - McAlpine, Hunter, Fife and Farndale.

I predict of these guys that Farndale will be a hit. Edinburgh have the space and from what I've heard, this guy can finish.

Glasgow - Campbell, Gray and McConnell.

I predict big things from Nick Campbell. I've only seen him live once but was seriously impressed. If this guy works on his fitness and conditioning then Glasgow have themselves an enforcer. Obviously looking out for young Gray as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down