The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Championship Round 6 Discussion Thread

+4
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
JDizzle
Shelsey93
8 posters

Go down

County Championship Round 6 Discussion Thread Empty County Championship Round 6 Discussion Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 08 May 2012, 8:29 pm

Round 6 of Championship fixtures already, and I haven't even got out on the field in club cricket yet because of the weather. Fans of all counties can discuss the action here. Just as a heads up, Sussex v Lancashire is on TV.

Division 1

Durham v Somerset @ Riverside - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17990569 (BBC Newcastle)

Durham 125 (Stoneman 33, Smith 18, C. Overton 4-38) Somerset 220-8 (Meschede 62, Kieswetter 60, Thorp 4-53)

Nottinghamshire v Middlesex @ Trent Bridge - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17990567 (BBC 5LSX/ BBC Nottingham/ BBC London)

Notts 423 (Lumb 162, Hales 79, Mullaney 60, Finn 4-117) and 22-3 (Hales 12, Rayner 2-11) Middx 300-9 dec (Rayner 143*, Gurney 3-47)

Worcestershire v Surrey @ New Road - Match discussion thread https://www.606v2.com/t28800-surrey-vs-worcestershire-match-thread; Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17990659 (BBC London/ BBC Hereford and Worcester)

Worcs 285 (Ali 61, Cameron 52, Linley 4-78) Surrey 113 (Rudolph 68, Lucas 4-37) and 216-4 (Pietersen 69, Maynard 63*, Hamilton-Brown 50*, Jones 4-71)

Sussex v Lancashire @ Hove - Live on Sky Sports, 11am daily; Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17990656 (BBC Sussex)

No play on the first 3 days due to rain

Division 2

Essex v Kent @ Chelmsford - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17990665 (BBC Essex)

Kent 225 (Stevens 119, Jones 88, Willoughby 5-70)

Gloucestershire v Yorkshire @ Bristol - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17990939 (BBC Leeds)

Gloucs 351-9 dec (Williamson 111, Dent 62, Bresnan 5-81) and 48-0 dec (Dent 24*) Yorks 30-1 (Lyth 19*, W. Gidman 1-6); Yorks forfeited their first innings

Hampshire v Derbyshire @ Rose Bowl

Hants 352-8 (Adams 122, Shafayat 93, Clare 2-57)

Leicestershire v Northamptonshire @ Grace Road

Northants 352-7 dec (Coetzer 120, Wakely 63, Buck 2-52) Leics 38-2 (Boyce 15*, Vaas 2-4)

Scores up to date to Stumps, Day 3

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Fri 11 May 2012, 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 6 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 6 Discussion Thread

Post by JDizzle Tue 08 May 2012, 8:53 pm

Weather doesn't look good for the Somerset- Durham game. Should get a day in tomorrow (possibly), but Thursday will be a washout and so Friday doesn't look great either so I would be surprised to see a result in that one.

Notts will be looking to put the pressure on Warks in a game they really need to win as they are 4 points behind after having played a game more. They should have enough to beat Middlesex though providing the weather doesn't curtail the action.

Worcs-Surrey on a waterless New Road pitch should be another interesting game. Surrey will undoubtedly be favourites, but Worcs bowling attack could cause one or two problems for a Surrey batting line up that likes to play their shots with RHB, Roy, Davies and Maynard in their ranks. Would expect Surrey to secure a win though.

Sussex and Lancs have both had indifferent starts to the season, but you;d think Lancs poor form can't continue for too long so I would expect them ot put up a fight here but I can't pick a winner. Possibly 60-40 Sussex.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 6 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 6 Discussion Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 08 May 2012, 9:44 pm

38 year-old Jason Kerr, who last played FC cricket 10 years ago and is now Somerset's academy director has been added to their squad for the game against Durham as they only have 11 fit players. I guess they feel that, if someone else goes down on the morning of the game, he is a better bet than an academy player who got battered by Surrey 2s last week.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 09 May 2012, 2:56 pm

I officially don't understand Somerset any more. An attack of Philander, Overton, Meschede and Trego rolled Durham for 125. Shocked

Overton took 4 wickets and Meschede 3. Philander got 2, and was the least economical of the bowlers. Go figure. Hopefully Overton and Meschede can start to kick on now from this and fulfill their potential and lead this Somerset attack for years to come!

Of course, with the Somerset batting line up consists of only Trego, Kies, Hildreth and Suppiah who are recognised at CC level as decent batsmen. Barrow and Meschede (our 4 and 5) haven't got runs at this level, then we have Philander at 7 which shows the length of the tail! Also, we have been forced into playing two spinners in Dockers and Waller on a green top because of lack of palyers! If we win this match I will eat my own face.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 5:14 pm

Essex have Kent 17-5!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo

sadly rain did stop play Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 May 2012, 5:32 pm

CF wrote:Essex have Kent 17-5!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo

sadly rain did stop play Sad
CF - thought you would be happy! Very Happy

In Masters and Willoughby, Essex have got a strong bowling partnership.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 5:37 pm

lol

and yup, im suprised Willoughby wasnt picked in the first couple of games to be honest..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 5:39 pm

Philander grabbed another couple of wicket as well i see.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 May 2012, 5:58 pm

CF wrote:Philander grabbed another couple of wicket as well i see.
Tremendous performance by Somerset today. Due largely to an injury crisis they only had eleven professionals available but still managed to skittle Durham for 125. Dockrell and Waller are both playing but neither was required to bowl a ball.

Somerset have already got a useful lead, currently standing on 193-5 in reply.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 09 May 2012, 7:46 pm

Torrential rain expected tomorrow at Chester Le Street, as well as showers on Friday and Saturday so forcing a result looks unlikely for Somerset.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 09 May 2012, 7:48 pm

And it looks as though Somerset know this and have just gone for it in reply! They closed at 220-8, with Kieswetter playing the anchoring role off 60* off 90 with Trego (40 off 35) and Meschede (62 off 60) just going for it!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 7:49 pm

If essex win or draw..

THEN UNBEATEN AFTER FIRST 4 GAMES Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 09 May 2012, 8:01 pm

Durham are quietly having a shocker... if my Div 2 predictions have been about right so far, my tip of Durham to win the title looks way off!

CF, do you know if Essex have an injury crisis? It looks like they are only playing three seamers (Masters, Willoughby, Mills) and the part-time, or slightly better than part-time stuff from Greg Smith and Bopara. No Chambers, Phillips or Craddock.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 12:21 pm

Phillips is awful in the longer form hence why he isnt playing, Craddock is only 18, and doing studies i believe, and im not sure why chambers isnt playing...

however i am suprised we have only gone in with 3 genuine bowlers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 10 May 2012, 9:14 pm

Weather continuing to wreck games. Still no start for Sussex v Lancs or Hants vs Derby.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 10 May 2012, 9:28 pm

CF wrote:If essex win or draw..
Doing a good job so far. Kent have been batting for two days and haven't yet reached 25. Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 11:43 am

Hants sign Shafayat, handed his debut straight away. Can anyone tell me a bit more about him?

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 11:49 am

Kent are 63-5,

Sad essex are letting them build a partnership Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 11:59 am

jimbohammers wrote:Hants sign Shafayat, handed his debut straight away. Can anyone tell me a bit more about him?

He's been playing club cricket by me recently, and he hasn't stood out dramatically to be honest. He was playing club cricket last year until Northants picked him up on a short term loan till the end of the season in which time he didn't do anything note worthy enough to get a full time deal. This year he has been playing Minor Counties for Shropshire, and doing alright but not as well as some of the other players which says a lot. He'll do a job, but he'll struggle to average above 30 in any format I would imagine. Is there a bit of an injury crisis at Hampshire or what, to need him this desperately?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 12:04 pm

JDizzle, thanks, our batting has been really poor at the start of this season, big players havent performed and we have had to rely on getting runs from the likes of Ervine, Bates and Wood. So i guess we are up for trying anything right now.

When you look at our batting you wonder how we are struggling. Adams, Carberry, Katich, Dawson, Vince. Thats pretty strong if you ask me. Carberry seems to of hit some form but he is with the Lions this week, hence why shafayat is given a chance.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Shafayat on to 22 in no time.

Bet ive jinxed him now...

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 12:34 pm

That's what I thought when I thought of your line up, how could you possibly be struggling for runs. But then again I don't think their is a batting line up in the country which hasn't struggled this season so far.

And I knew Bilal would get runs as soon as I said he won't score any runs. Doh

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 12:38 pm

Haha clap

Kent battle from 9-5 to 106-5. Darren Stevens 61 not out, ive always liked him

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 1:50 pm

Shafayat brings up his 50 off 57 balls clap

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 2:00 pm

Jimmy joins him with a half century, OK

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 11 May 2012, 3:40 pm

Yorkshire forfeit their first innings. They've obviously agreed a target with Glocs. Good to see that teams are trying to force a result rather than play out a bore draw.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 3:47 pm

Jimmy Adams brings up his 100. Shafayat goes on 93, great debut though!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 4:15 pm

I do know stuff about cricket honest! I swear he hasn't been very good, haha! Well played Bilal, keep it going.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Laugh OK

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 11 May 2012, 8:57 pm

Some interesting business at Bristol, where the current fashion of 'inventive captaincy' has continued.

Gloucs were 299-9 (and 1 short of a 3rd bonus point), when Andrew Gale turned to Adam Lyth and himself for some part-time bowling which was so poor that Nos. 10 and 11 were able to move the score on to 351-9 (and a 4th bonus point) less than 4 overs later.

At this point Gloucs declared and Yorkshire forfeited their first innings. Howell and Dent came to the crease, and though Sidebottom and Bresnan didn't bowl, Patterson, McGrath and Rashid did before Lyth (who this time bowled 2 overs for 1) and Ballance came on. The scores was 48-0, scored at less than 2 an over, when another declaration came with the lead now 400.

This seems a very complicated and well thought out plan to ensure that Yorkshire had an hour tonight and all of tomorrow to score 400, whilst Gloucs had that time to bowl Yorks out. Presumably Gloucs would only agree with their batting points secure.

All very strange, but it has created an interesting match, if probably in Gloucs's favour. Any thoughts?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 9:19 pm

I'm all for it. It makes for interesting cricket with all 3 results still possible. If an agreement hadn't been reached then I can imagine that Yorks would now be batting Glocs into the ground and trying to get their batting bonus points before declaring tomorrow at some point and leaving a turgid two sessions of nothing-ness. At least this way there will be some excitement and interest and I am all for it.

As a Somerset fan I would be delighted if (weather permitting) they came out tomorrow and teed off trying to get to 250 quickly from 220-8, and then declare and try to force a win rather than just trying to amass 300 or 350 for the extra batting points and a draw. Superb stuff.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 9:28 pm

The arrangement certainly seems to heavily favour Gloucs. Being gifted runs and batting points at the end of their innings and then allowed to add some more runs before Yorks have their only innings.

Why did Yorks agree? My guess is that Yorks don't view Gloucs as serious promotion rivals. Therefore not much harm done to Yorks' promotion prospects if Gloucs win and collect the 16 points that go with it. 3 points for a draw is not much good to Yorks - therefore go for broke even if the odds for a win are against them.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 11 May 2012, 9:43 pm

I agree that a result should be sought - and forfeitures are a legitimate part of that. However, I would question whether this level of collusion between captains (where the best part of 2 hours of cricket is largely pre-determined) should be encouraged.

As a wider point envisage this situation. A thrilling Ashes series is played out in England next summer and is 2-2 after 4 Tests. Both teams desperately want to win the 5th Test, but it is rain affected. Strauss and Cook come on and gift the tail-enders 50 runs, then agree to waste time by not bowling Anderson and Broad against the Aussie openers. They eventually declare setting a chase of 400 for England. Exciting cricket or unsatisfactory? I can't decide.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 10:21 pm

Trouble is, I don't think you would ever get that situation in a Test series where both sides would be desperate to go for a win. I would imagine if it was 2-2 going onto the final Test next summer and the situation plays out as you say whilst England would be looking to get the win, they would cope with a 2-2 draw and retention of the Ashes rather than risk an Aussie win. It is the same for all Test series I would imagine. I can't picture a scenario where both teams would be that desperate for a win to make some of the cricket pre determined. Forfeitures of innings are possible maybe at Test level, but not collusion of runs scored.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 11 May 2012, 10:26 pm

JDizzle wrote:Trouble is, I don't think you would ever get that situation in a Test series where both sides would be desperate to go for a win. I would imagine if it was 2-2 going onto the final Test next summer and the situation plays out as you say whilst England would be looking to get the win, they would cope with a 2-2 draw and retention of the Ashes rather than risk an Aussie win. It is the same for all Test series I would imagine. I can't picture a scenario where both teams would be that desperate for a win to make some of the cricket pre determined. Forfeitures of innings are possible maybe at Test level, but not collusion of runs scored.

That being the case the debate should probably be taken further. If first-class cricket is preparation for Test cricket (and I'm not convinced that that is its sole purpose), then should we have more than 3 points for a draw?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 10:27 pm

Shelsey - I agree with your tone that we need to be careful how far we go.

Until the early 1990s county championship matches lasted only three days. What had occurred on the first two days often became largely irrelevant as the captains contrived to engineer a positive result on the last day. The desire to reduce collusion and allow sufficient time for games to be fully played out was a significant factor in the introduction of four day county cricket.

Apologies if you already knew that but I think it worth emphasising.

I agree with you and JDizzle that positive results should be sought. Again like you, I suspect, I just don't know how far we can acceptably go to achieve that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 11 May 2012, 11:01 pm

Some interesting developments in today's play. In a Kent total of 225 the second highest partnership was 19 and third highest was 5. Shocked

Meanwhile Ollie Rayner scores 143* for Middlesex. He always looked a reasonable batsman at Sussex. Looks as tho he is improving further. Tim Murtagh must be one of the best no 10 batsmen on the county circuit...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 12 May 2012, 3:17 am

Murtagh is a decent no 9 to be honest, so yes him batting at 10 does give good depth to the batting, which needed it.

Raynor also took 2 cheap wickets, and Middlesex have a small chance of completing a remarkable victory on day 4.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 12 May 2012, 9:35 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Some interesting developments in today's play. In a Kent total of 225 the second highest partnership was 19 and third highest was 5. Shocked

Meanwhile Ollie Rayner scores 143* for Middlesex. He always looked a reasonable batsman at Sussex. Looks as tho he is improving further. Tim Murtagh must be one of the best no 10 batsmen on the county circuit...

Yes I noticed that. A very interesting scorecard.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 12 May 2012, 1:18 pm

Kent 1st innings: 3 for 2
Essex 1st innings: 3 for 2.
Who'd be an opener?

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 May 2012, 4:17 pm

Kent vs essex ends in a draw...

no shock there as most of the game was rained off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down