The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EX-WALES STAR DAFYDD JAMES WANTS TO HELP TURN UAE RUGBY AROUND

+4
sugarNspikes
ScarletSpiderman
Geordie
Shifty
8 posters

Go down

EX-WALES STAR DAFYDD JAMES WANTS TO HELP TURN UAE RUGBY AROUND Empty EX-WALES STAR DAFYDD JAMES WANTS TO HELP TURN UAE RUGBY AROUND

Post by Shifty Thu May 03, 2012 7:34 pm

http://www.sport360.com/article/uae-rugby-chief-ian-bremner-dismisses-claims-player-mutiny

Dafydd James has expressed his desire to get involved in the UAE rugby setup amid claims of player mutiny within the national team ranks. But despite living in the country for a year, the former Wales and British Lions star is yet to be approached.

Sport360° today revealed there are a number of players refusing to play for the country due to anger and frustration over the current structure, from the board level down.

A source within the team told us he could name "8-10 players" refusing to play because of the way "things are being run and administered" by the UAE Rugby Association, which includes "no structure, no strength and conditioning program, or any facilities ourselves."

And James, who is a resident in the UAE, has declared his interest in helping the UAE side, but somewhat surprisingly, the 48-capped former Wales international has not been contacted.

"Absolutely. I would love to get involved, I've said that from day one when I arrived in the UAE," James told Sport360°. "I came to this part of the world to explore new avenues and, without sounding egotistical, the pedigree I have got will probably best be suited to a role in coaching or in an advisory capacity."

With his wealth of experience, which includes three World Cups, numerous Five and Six Nations tournaments, and the 2001 British Lions tour to Australia, he has plenty of insight into what UAE rugby now needs.

"The coaching has to be looked at and I believe that from the people I've talked to, it's in a bit of a mess," he reveals.

"What I would do would be to be bring in coaching methods from a professional environment - which I have just come out of - with new techniques, new game plans and most importantly, just getting back to basics.

"The coaches clearly need a hand and I would be more than willing to help out and offer my professional opinion, if they so want it."

James believes it is clear there are fundamental issues within the setup which need to be addressed if rugby in the country is to develop and improve.

"The management structure in the UAE is something they haven't got right; it appears that (UAERA CEO) Ian Bremner is fighting for his position.

"I don't really know any of the coaching staff he has around him, but its clear to see that things just aren't right at the moment."

He added: "The UAERA need to realise there is clearly something missing and I would like to think I could offer something. But it's up to the powers that be."
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

EX-WALES STAR DAFYDD JAMES WANTS TO HELP TURN UAE RUGBY AROUND Empty Re: EX-WALES STAR DAFYDD JAMES WANTS TO HELP TURN UAE RUGBY AROUND

Post by Shifty Thu May 03, 2012 7:34 pm

I had no idea Dafydd James had moved to this part of the World.

It would be interesting to see him pop up as a coach of the UAE.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

EX-WALES STAR DAFYDD JAMES WANTS TO HELP TURN UAE RUGBY AROUND Empty Re: EX-WALES STAR DAFYDD JAMES WANTS TO HELP TURN UAE RUGBY AROUND

Post by Geordie Thu May 03, 2012 8:03 pm

So are we gonna see rediculous amounts of money pumped in to buy players of all other nations becuse they have no players as they have done in all other sports...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:So are we gonna see rediculous amounts of money pumped in to buy players of all other nations becuse they have no players as they have done in all other sports...

pot kettle black
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 am

Shouldn't Daffyd be trying to help sort out the mess that is the Welsh regional set up?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 am

wasn't daffyd james a goal keeper in the wendy varity of sport? Very Happy

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 am

sugarNspikes wrote:Shouldn't Daffyd be trying to help sort out the mess that is the Welsh regional set up?

I guess he has had enough of the regions, after all he went to the Quins after the axe job that was done on the Warriors, and then when he returned to the Scarlets he was offloaded after being out injured for what was deemed to be too long. I personally would want to distance myself from the regional game if that was my experience of it.

Fingers crossed he can get something sorted out for the UAE, as if rugby is going to grow as a global sport it is places like that which are needed to be targetted.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri May 04, 2012 10:55 am

Always been a big fan of James. Great player and community servant/ambassador for his teams.

I hope he can help the UAE in their ambitions and encourage the spread of the game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri May 04, 2012 7:11 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Always been a big fan of James. Great player and community servant/ambassador for his teams.

I hope he can help the UAE in their ambitions and encourage the spread of the game.

Quite true, though I hear he is easily confused! Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat May 05, 2012 11:24 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:So are we gonna see rediculous amounts of money pumped in to buy players of all other nations becuse they have no players as they have done in all other sports...

pot kettle black

Hardly!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat May 05, 2012 2:20 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:Shouldn't Daffyd be trying to help sort out the mess that is the Welsh regional set up?

I guess he has had enough of the regions, after all he went to the Quins after the axe job that was done on the Warriors, and then when he returned to the Scarlets he was offloaded after being out injured for what was deemed to be too long. I personally would want to distance myself from the regional game if that was my experience of it.

Fingers crossed he can get something sorted out for the UAE, as if rugby is going to grow as a global sport it is places like that which are needed to be targetted.
Ah, yes. I'd forgotten how badly the Scarlets treated him.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by faraway Sun May 06, 2012 7:12 am

You are confusing the UAE with Qatar. The UAE does not "buy" players, I have been following the UAE rugby for the past 2 years and the only players that represented the country were either Emirati nationals or others who are eligible due to residency, they work and play their club rugby in the UAE for more than 2 years. The UAE does not give its nationality that easily. And if you actually seen our football team, equestrian team, judo team, shooting team and even the womens weightlifting team then you'll see they are represented by nationals. The only two teams that are represented by non nationals are the rugby and the cricket teams. I should also add there is a UAE shaheen rugby team that comprise of nationals only to increase its popularity among the locals.

faraway

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 am

I heard that he has a fitness business, he was in Hong Kong a year or two ago. If he was to do coaching or anything of the sort he would probably be doing it part time.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down