The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd's open gym session from the other day.....

+2
The Galveston Giant
KingMonkey
6 posters

Go down

Floyd's open gym session from the other day..... Empty Floyd's open gym session from the other day.....

Post by KingMonkey Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

Good. Grief.

Click here

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Floyd's open gym session from the other day..... Empty Re: Floyd's open gym session from the other day.....

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:21 pm

Thanks KM, is there anyone else who does the pads like Roger, he seems to work harder than Floyd.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Floyd's open gym session from the other day..... Empty Re: Floyd's open gym session from the other day.....

Post by KingMonkey Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

I was thinking just that. Floyd's reactions are unreal but it's padwork like nobody else does. Out of all that first ten mins how many punches does he throw in anger? Not many.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

I remember when I played cricket and the coach used to say bowl medium, bowl medium bowl medium. Then Matchday he'd say bowl fast and the accuracy didnt suffer at all. Maybe he is just training his muscle memory for accuracy and timing rather than a speed he already possesses. Diff sports but perhaps there is a similarity. Could also be that he isn't willing to give too much away in his public sessions.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:38 pm

It's like he's shadow boxing without extending his arms and Roger takes up the slack, sure his dad does the same thing so not sure if it's a family thing or a Floyd thing, still going to be working on timing and hand eye co-ordination, certainly not done him any harm.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:10 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Thanks KM, is there anyone else who does the pads like Roger, he seems to work harder than Floyd.

That was what I was thinking! Only watched the first 10 minutes, will watch rest later, does anybody know more about this style of padwork? I have only seen Floyd do this & I'm a little confused about it. Racking my brain over the benefits or what it is replicating without much luck, was thinking possibly impact & stamina or reaction timing?

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:53 am

My guess is that mostly about honing his rhythem and shoulder movement, and how his punches then flow on from then,also every combination is finished with a slip or a roll, so he doesn't get in the habit of admiring his punches and then getting caught. It kind of reminds of that pat-a-cake clapping game that girls at primary school used to play.
Whatever, I reckon that Roger's a pretty underrated trainer- yes he talks alot of crap,but Floyd is very well schooled, and I can't see him sticking with Roger unless he thought he was good- after all family loyalty doesn't seem to big a deal to the mayweathers.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:57 am

My guess is that mostly about honing his rhythem and shoulder movement, and how his punches then flow on from then,also every combination is finished with a slip or a roll, so he doesn't get in the habit of admiring his punches and then getting caught. It kind of reminds of that pat-a-cake clapping game that girls at primary school used to play.
Whatever, I reckon that Roger's a pretty underrated trainer- yes he talks alot of crap,but Floyd is very well schooled, and I can't see him sticking with Roger unless he thought he was good- after all family loyalty doesn't seem to big a deal to the mayweathers.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:08 am

sohotnot wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:Thanks KM, is there anyone else who does the pads like Roger, he seems to work harder than Floyd.

That was what I was thinking! Only watched the first 10 minutes, will watch rest later, does anybody know more about this style of padwork? I have only seen Floyd do this & I'm a little confused about it. Racking my brain over the benefits or what it is replicating without much luck, was thinking possibly impact & stamina or reaction timing?

Hand-Eye co-ordination. Floyd can counter punch perfectly. Think about it, if Roger is consistantly moving his hands at that speed and Floyd is able to hit every pad without fail, it's honing his precision. If a guy leaves himself open, Floyd will know where to place his hands at the right second.

I'm unsure of the glove size, but if he was wearing 12oz or heavier and he's walking in with 8oz or 10oz, all of the motion and his arms being used to the weight of 12oz+ will give him a lot of handspeed.

Bare in mind, the Mayweathers never show hard sparring, on 24/7 or in media work outs, you'll never see him spar, so that mitt-work is just a fraction of his workout. It's aesthetic to watch so it no doubt pleases the audience, but it has benefits in body movement and precision more than anything else.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:29 pm

horizontalhero wrote:My guess is that mostly about honing his rhythem and shoulder movement, and how his punches then flow on from then,also every combination is finished with a slip or a roll, so he doesn't get in the habit of admiring his punches and then getting caught. It kind of reminds of that pat-a-cake clapping game that girls at primary school used to play.

Thanks for your input, I can see where you are coming from there. Along with what you said I was thinking about the stamina aspect of keeping the hands up & constantly punching. I did notice the slip, roll or punch to finish each time.

The thing I find with trainers is its sometimes how trainer & fighter click rather than how great a trainer the trainer is. I'm sure there are many great trainers that did very little for great fighters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm

School Project wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

Hand-Eye co-ordination. Floyd can counter punch perfectly. Think about it, if Roger is consistantly moving his hands at that speed and Floyd is able to hit every pad without fail, it's honing his precision. If a guy leaves himself open, Floyd will know where to place his hands at the right second.

I'm unsure of the glove size, but if he was wearing 12oz or heavier and he's walking in with 8oz or 10oz, all of the motion and his arms being used to the weight of 12oz+ will give him a lot of handspeed.

Bare in mind, the Mayweathers never show hard sparring, on 24/7 or in media work outs, you'll never see him spar, so that mitt-work is just a fraction of his workout. It's aesthetic to watch so it no doubt pleases the audience, but it has benefits in body movement and precision more than anything else.

You make some good points, the thing that kind of confuses me is that it seems that roger as well as moving his hands is actually hitting floyd more so than vice versa or at least harder? I have done a little boxing & more recently kick boxing so when we do pad work the one with pads or more often using his gloved hands as pads hits back on impact. This helps with strength & stamina for both.

Totally agree with you on the benefits of speed & stamina with regards to using bigger gloves than in the fight. Interestingly later on they show that Floyd is wearing ankle weights that will again increase his stamina come fight night. Also that he only has 30 second breaks between training rounds as opposed to the full minute in the fight.

Yes clearly these open training sessions are just for show & to give people a little 'insight'. No way are they going to show the real hard training or the for Cotto specific training, as you say it pleases those in attendance & watching online. The other thing that did occur to me especially on the heavy bag is that the real training is over & he's just winding it down for the fight itself, he doesn't want to risk injury this close however minor.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

Sohotnot - You'll notice the speed varies with the pad from RM - again all about timing when to twist into it and throw it properly. It might look as if RM is hitting his gloves but listen to the sounds - thwack, thwack, thwack, clean hits more often than not. This suggest that FM is reacting and adjusting in the last second to put the weight behind the punch. As RM isnt throwing with intent - he can put his hand out slowly and suddenly push it with speed and mess up Floyds timing or he can approach quickly and flick his wrist in the middle of nowhere, again disrupting Floyds punch yet still a clean hit.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:11 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Sohotnot - You'll notice the speed varies with the pad from RM - again all about timing when to twist into it and throw it properly. It might look as if RM is hitting his gloves but listen to the sounds - thwack, thwack, thwack, clean hits more often than not. This suggest that FM is reacting and adjusting in the last second to put the weight behind the punch. As RM isnt throwing with intent - he can put his hand out slowly and suddenly push it with speed and mess up Floyds timing or he can approach quickly and flick his wrist in the middle of nowhere, again disrupting Floyds punch yet still a clean hit.

Thanks Shah, you make some good points that along with the other guys who replied to me have shed a whole lot of light on the technique that I was unsure about. Aside from Floyd the only time I have seen this is on youtube by a guy training his son under the misleading title of 'Floyd Mayweather pad training' which clearly it wasn't. I remember Hatton dissing Floyd over this saying "anybody can do that, I can do it all Fookin year" before his 2nd place against Floyd. I've always been interested in the behind the scenes training whether its technique or strength, conditioning & cardio of fighters whether its boxing, MMA or martial arts.

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:40 pm

Lee selby has been out there sparring with mayweather for this fight.

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:40 pm

Welcome mate.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm

Cheers fella been on here a while just I tend to read the posts and everyone's opinions rather than post.

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down