The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A blast from the past

5 posters

Go down

A blast from the past Empty A blast from the past

Post by emack2 Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:25 am

In aid of the attempts to save the Otago RFU Club going into liquidation,a revival of the old style North Island versus South Island match at
Dunedin.Gate procedes going in an attempt to save this once legendary club from extinction,once Home of the legendary "Old"and "Young"
Vic Cavanagh fathers of the GREAT RUCK.The backbone of NZ RUGBY for decades before being cast aside for a RWC in 1987[before ironically its outlawing].I urge all you NZ fans in the area to go there you won`t see it again in your lifetime,once THAT shirt was the next best thing to an ALL BLACK ONE.I hope it will be televised here for all to see but I doubt it,TV never was big on sporting history.

emack2

Back to top Go down

A blast from the past Empty Re: A blast from the past

Post by Taylorman Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:25 am

Yeah it got flushed away because it was usually such a mismatch, all the strength in the north back then. It sounds a good idea but funnily wasnt overly supported that well. It might be today and it would be more even as well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 am

There are a few problems at the moment trying to bring the North V South Island game to fruition,during the June International window.

The All Blacks cant play because they will have to play the Irish.
A number of Super xv coaches arent too keen too release their players as this is their only chance for a bit of R&R till the end of the comp.
Questions arise when players now play ITM in one Island and Super xv in another Island or would it have to be along the lines of an Island of Origin basis where you play for the Island in which you played your first game of Senior rugby?

Theres a long way to go.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:08 pm

If, and this is a big 'if', there is money to be made, then TV will show it.
Another big 'if' is whether the NZRU deem the survival of Otago RFU as a strategic priority. If so, that will significantly enhance the chances of the match coming off.
If they feel they can sell the commerative jerseys and other merchandise on a wider regional or global basis to expats and Rugby fans, more money can be raised (as long as the jerseys don't look too goofy and are suitably retro).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:42 am

Once long ago I built a considerable library of books100 plus mostly on Nz Rugby ,but some SA and the odd English one obviously tours but also biographies and teaching Manuals.Including those by Danie Craven ,Izak van Heerden,Bob Scott, Ron Jarden,Carwyn James.Freddie Allen and John Stewart.
NZ almanacks dating from 1946-1996,plus several Bok ones for 1950`s.
North v South match was big during the age of reality,including a north v South Trial match.These were used among other things for test trials versus Boks or France.That was in the era of my particular Hero the Late Great Kel Tremain,
I had relatives and friends in both NZ and Australia [indeed I am a distant relative of Joe Roff].Sadly I lost touch over the years BUT,they sent me Rugby
mags[they were huge] of the Hawkes bay Ranfurly shield reign under Tremains
leadership.Blair Furlong,Neil Thimbly by,Davis,Macrae,and Love [can`t remember the christian Names.BUT TRADITION is always worth preserving.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:09 am

Yeah a lot of things go by the wayside unfortunately. Prior to 1976 (National Provincial championship) the biggest domestic competition was the Ranfurly shield. It was however a challenge only competition. Other than that there were provincial friendly's.

Over the years the NPC/ Air NZ/ ITM, Super series, World cup etc have relgated the Shield almost to an interest item although its still big for smaller unions. We used to wait in anticipation each year as to who the expected challenges for it were for the next year. There were legal stoushes when I think North Auckland refused to accept challenges etc and the shield eras of the 80's and 90's were really the last of the big matches.

So theres logistical reasons for not bringing the North South match back. From memory it was found to be useless as a trial match for several years due to the uneven-ness of North over South and the Possibles Probables took over as the trial matches giving the selectors a more even picture.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 pm

When I was youngest I went on exchange student program to Auckaland and there I play a game with other small boys before the match start for Ranfury Shield and have my picture made next to the trophy and some famous player also. I am very proud of this picture and keep it well. So this history is not always forget when there is not going a lot tv camera. You can keep this picture in your head where it can be all the time tivo replay when waiting in a tunnel for the tube in a rain for example.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down