The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

+10
nathan
Moorsman
ChequeredJersey
HongKongCherry
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
Equo Troiano
logansrun38
LondonTiger
yappysnap
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread Empty Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:46 am

Turning away from the car crash that has been the Premiership clubs European campaigns, we can all focus on the third to last round of Jeff rugby that's coming up this weekend.

The current standings are:
Harlequins 19 15 1 3 66
Saracens 19 13 1 5 60
Leicester Tigers 19 12 1 6 60
Northampton Saints 19 12 0 7 56
Exeter Chiefs 19 11 0 8 53
Gloucester Rugby 19 8 1 10 43
Sale Sharks 19 8 0 11 41
Bath Rugby 19 8 0 11 39
London Irish 19 6 1 12 37
Worcester Warriors 19 7 1 11 35
London Wasps 19 6 0 13 31
Newcastle Falcons 19 4 2 13 23

Friday 13th April

Sale Sharks v Bath Rugby, Edgeley Park, Stockport

Bath travel to Sale at the closing stages of a horrid season for the West Country side. Having lost players, coaches, the LV Cup, and quite possibly Heineken rugby next season it will be an interesting test of the clubs character in what will surely be a demanding away fixture. Sale can welcome them in far better spirits and with relegation a distant blur will be looking to show that they can challenge the top six sides in a late dash. Bath's forwards have so far spectacularly underachieved and again this will be a game where a lot is riding on them, with the dismal Northern weather having a big influence expect a tight mud feast and sale's smarter and nastier pack to come out on top in what will likely be a battle of the kickers. Sale by 6 no bp.

Saturday 14th April

Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers, Franklin's Gardens, Northampton

I don't think anyone can have missed the various incidents from the last time these two have battled. Saints will welcome Tigers with the memory of their LV loss fresh in their minds, for what it's worth Leicester will surely be thinking of it as well (possibly for different reasons though). This has all the right ingredients to be the match of the season and could well be a warm up for the final in a month's time. Tigers have hit some impressive form scoring 120 points and 16 tries in their last three Prem games and while Saints have been hard working, they will be a little concerned by the lack of form of certain players. I can't really see past an away win here, the Leicester juggernaut is in full flight and while Saints have a nasty pack to slow them down, the lack of try scorers in the backs and their constant issues at 10 will be too much of a hindrance. Tigers by 12 and a bp.

Gloucester Rugby v Newcastle Falcons, Kingsholm, Gloucester
Gloucester will be looking to put as big a gap between them and the chasers as possible this weekend as they host the struggling Falcons. It has been another season of highs and lows for the Cherry and Whites but Sat should be a good chance to get back on the point scoring band wagon especially if the sun stays out. Falcons will be desperate for any points at all and will want to keep it a kick fest so the home side must open the game up as much as possible. Gloucester should be far too much for Falcons and with their exciting backline out on display will have far too much talent and pace for the visitors. Glos by 20 and a bp.

London Irish v Saracens, Madejski Stadium, Reading
I don't think anyone could have predicted the result for Saracens on Sunday. At least the match this weekend allows for some early atonement as they travel across London to the Madejski. LI are another team who've had a season to forget and after three losses on the bounce must be dreading the appearance of the men in Black. Saracens have their limitations though, as shown if you score early and create a big margin they have almost no answer, it is only if Saracens manage to keep the score tight then they are more comfortable. I can't see LI managing this unfortunately and I think we can expect a lot of aggressive defending from Saracens coupled with kicking any ball they do get, which will probably be enough to get them the win LI are that bad at the moment. Saracens by 6 no bp.

Worcester Warriors v Exeter Chiefs, Sixways, Worcester
Worcester were royaly tonked in their last game against Leicester, their much vaunted defence being breached on seven occasions by the home side. Exeter on the other hand will be upset that they lost a completely winnable knock out match against Stade last week and will be out to make amends now, especially as they still have a chance to break in to the top four if they get the win and Tigers do them a favour. The home side can probably expect their defence to be challenged less this weekend, but without Shaun Perry Worcester are pretty toothless in attack and Exeter have a mean defence of their own. This could be another game that comes down to kicking and Exeter's big kicker along with their pack which is usually so good at closing games out should be enough to win this match away for them although I think it will be close between the teams. Exeter by 3.

Harlequins v London Wasps, The Stoop, London
Harlequins will want to forget Friday night's away match, and although they might have really had one eye on the Prem the whole time capitulating like they did has to be bad for moral. Luckily for them though they are now hosting Wasps who are currently struggling near the bottom of the table and do not look to be getting away from it soon. If Quins start more of their first choice players and find that old hunger that saw them get to 14 wins on the bounce at the start of the season then it could be a very long day for Wasps who've been hit by injuries throughout the side but who's youngsters did show up well on Sunday. Unfortunately Quins slump in form has been around for a while and if they cannot get back more of their first choice players and if Evans is not on form I think the Pests could well sneak a win in a high scoring affair. Wasps by 5 with a bp.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:16 am

I think you are being unduly pessimistic about the Quins-Wasps match.

Sale v Bath
Friday nights at home have not been as good for sale this year as in previous seasons. A lot will depend on which Bath turn up - the team that faff about and miss opportunities, or the side (more rarely seen this season) that constantly switches the point of attack with offloads and dazzling footwork.
For me I agree Sale by 6

Saints v Tigers
Tigers have won their last 4 matches against Saints and have won their last 7 matches (and Won 16 drawn 1 match against doemstic opposition since the end of the RWC). Saints form has been iffy.
Yet I cannot see past a Saints win. This is the first match between the clubs at Franklins Gardens since Sept 2010 (27-19 to Saints in the first match of last season). Saints will be really fired up for this and recently the scorelines have flattered Tigers performances in the AP.
Saints by 8

Gloucester v Falcons
Falcons have the better recent form - a draw and a win in the last 3 rounds, compared to Glaws 3 defeats. It is hard to see Falcons winning this, but you can see a nervy day for Gloucester if they are unable to secure an early lead.
Gloucester by 10

LI v Saracens
Any time I predict a good performance from LI they go and play like my local clubs 7th team. As soon as I expect nothing they play well. There is no reason to expect much from them this week, yet I do. Sides have done their research and are starting to find ways through and around Sarries defences. Sarries are still struggling to offer much in attack except on the counter (they tend to look more threatening without the ball than with it).
Brian Smith will be hoping to get one over on his replacement in the England setup and I expect LI to be the better team, yet just come up short.
Sarries by 2

Worcester v Exeter
Worcester apparently tried to throw the ball around, last time out at Welford Rd. Expect them to retreat back to their attritional style. I just expect Worcester, at home, to have a little more energy left in their tank having had a weekend off, while Exeter had their exhausting match in Paris.
Worcester by 8

Quins v Wasps
Quins were poor against a good Toulon side. Wasps for much of the game were poor against a not so good Biarritz side. they may be buoyed by almost winning, but off field matters will have an affect.
Quins to secure the only TBP of the round

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by logansrun38 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:22 am

LondonTiger - better predictions but I suspect the Glos/Falcons match will be much closer.

The big problem for Wuss against Tigers last time was Andy Goode's first half red card.

logansrun38

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:28 am

I actually think Tigers will come away with a win and tbp. Saints are missing key players and are all at sea out in the backs. And i'm not sure how you can say that recent AP results have flattered Tigers when as has been pointed out, they've scored 120 points and 16 tries in their last three Prem games. Thats domination, that isn't luck.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:37 am

I said scoreline - not result. We were not good against Worcester, though we are not allowed to say that as it is showing disrespect.

I do feel we will probably lose, I hope not. I do feel we will get a player sent-off, I hope not.

I am reasonabl at predicting other teams results, but any time I predict a Tigers win, they lose. So perhaps there is an attempt to avoid the curse.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:38 am

Aha! Reverse Psychology!

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by logansrun38 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:40 am

Saints always raise their game for Tigers and I suspect they'll be a real handful. I stil can't see anyone beating Tigers at the moment though!

logansrun38

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:42 am

Other games that could go against the run of form. LI could win at home I think, it took Tigers almost 70 minutes to pull ahead. LI play an open expansive game and are difficult to contain.

Wasps to beat Quins? Maybe. It would certainly help the chasing teams to go for that home semi.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:47 am

This has all the right ingredients to be the match of the season and could well be a warm up for the final in a month's time

The game at Welford Rd certainly had it all. A selection of tries, a mass brawl, a villain turned hero, a last minute winner and plenty of controversy to chew over afterwards with three citings thrown in for good measure. Not sure my heart can take that sort of thing again.

I do feel we will probably lose, I hope not. I do feel we will get a player sent-off, I hope not.

I have a feeling we will too, probably Alesana again as he tends to get very irrate very quickly and is a bit punch happy (see the Worcester game). I can see Saints raising their game for this one just as Logansrun points out, they will be smarting after the LV Cup final and there is a bit of bad blood between the sides (5 cards in the last three games). This could get spicy.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:51 am

I'm willing to bet Alex behaves impeccably...

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:00 am

And of course Mallinder told the press he hates Cockerill yesterday Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:06 am

LondonTiger wrote:And of course Mallinder told the press he hates Cockerill yesterday Very Happy

Its great isn't it, Mallinder's got the hump because Tigers have been more successful and that his team has a hair puller, a neanderthal hooker and an arm breaker. Yes, the 'differences' between the two teams are fairly obvious Jim.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

Ah but we have:

A DoR who sqeals to the press
Two Tuilagi thugs
Lazarus Murphy
The ref always on our side.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:49 am

The ref always on our side.

If only...

Lazarus Murphy

This bit is true, how he's still going after the number of injuries is beyond me. Still a class act hence our on going problems of finding a replacement (they just don't match up).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:52 am

Ah well, read the Saints board and the ref is always on our side. And boy do they hate Murphy.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:12 am

As a neutral i'm massively looking forward to the Saints game, is it on tv?

LI and Sam, yes Saints will certainly up their games but like Equo I just think your forms too good at the moment and your half backs are way better then there's. Wuss made it easier for you but even in a tough match I can see you getting four tries and once you get that gap Saints will be out to cause niggle rather then try to play.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

Do you think there'll be any chance of Tait appearing before the end of the season?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

yappysnap wrote:Do you think there'll be any chance of Tait appearing before the end of the season?

No. Even if fit, he will not be risked now as will lack all match sharpness.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:18 am

Ah well, read the Saints board and the ref is always on our side. And boy do they hate Murphy

Jealousy is a terrible thing. These the same people that said Clark was innocent?

As a neutral i'm massively looking forward to the Saints game, is it on tv?

Everton vs Liverpool, Saints vs Tigers and then Quins vs Wasps. That's a good Saturday on ESPN. However, I'll be in Edinburgh so Sky+ will be my friend and save it for my return.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:19 am

Is he even such a valuable asset anyway? He's hardly managed a game and Tigers are doing fine without him ta very much.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:00 pm

yappysnap wrote:As a neutral i'm massively looking forward to the Saints game, is it on tv?

LI and Sam, yes Saints will certainly up their games but like Equo I just think your forms too good at the moment and your half backs are way better then there's. Wuss made it easier for you but even in a tough match I can see you getting four tries and once you get that gap Saints will be out to cause niggle rather then try to play.

If your predictions come to pass, yappy, it makes next weekend very interesting as the table would then look like:

1) quins 68
2) tigers 65
3) Sarries 64
4) Exeter 57
5) Saints 56

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Even better that they're on ESPN. I'll be having a lazy Saturday then.

Yep LT if it all goes as predicted then it'll be very tight between the top teams.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

Very interesting if it does happen and how impressive would that be from Exeter in particular?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:As a neutral i'm massively looking forward to the Saints game, is it on tv?

If your predictions come to pass, yappy, it makes next weekend very interesting as the table would then look like:

1) quins 68
2) tigers 65
3) Sarries 64
4) Exeter 57
5) Saints 56

Feic me, LT, if that happens I will likely pee my pants in excitement, especially as next week brings Saints to Sandy Park. Chief

Just as an aside, Saints used to be a team that I admired and respected, but just recently I've found it much harder to do that as an outsider - is that the fault of the media, or have they learned Tigers' "nobody likes us, we don't care" ethos? Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

I am not sure Asbo, but certainly across England it seems to be the fans taking against Saints despite the media (who have fawned over them recently) rather than because of.

It is weird for me to suddenly find people admiring us and hating them.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

People have always secretly admired Tigers. They just didn't want to admit it. Lets face it, there are other teams in the AP more worthy of dislike than Tigers, at least they play rugby.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:01 pm

Good work as always Yappy OK

I don't agree with all of your predictions, but this weekend has a number of games that could go either way. For what its worth I reckon:

Sale v Bath - 2 out of form sides and this truly could go either way. Maybe its my natural bias against Bath, but I can see Sale sneaking this by 3.

Saints v Tigers - Saints will want to make up for the LV loss and they are an extrmeely tough side to beat at FG. Despite Tigers run of form I can see Saints winning this by 5. (As a side bet, there will be at least 3 yellows!)

Glaws v Falcons - It's been rather frustrating watching Glaws in recent weeks. The forwards really need to step up to the mark and will need to against an abbrasive Falcons pack. Home advantage should see us win by 10.

Irish v Sarries - Sarries will be desperate to make up for a poor performance in the HC. Irish still have faint hopes of making the HC for next year, but I sense Sarries will be up for the game more and will win by 7.

Wuss v Chiefs - 2 very confrontational sides, but Wuss have achieved their season's goal whereas Chiefs still have a lot to play for. chiefs by 6.

Quins v Wasps - I think Yappy is being very pessimistic about this game. If Falcons lose to Glaws, Wasps will know a losing BP will probably see them safe and I think that's the best they can hope for. Quins were poor in the Amlin, but with the return of some of the senior players they will win this convincingly by 15+
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

Saints vs Tigers- I think Tigers, despite not playing their best in their recent wins, will have too much here and will put in a big performance and win by 8.

Sale will draw with Bath, 18 all, Bath with 2 tries to Sale's 1.

Gloucester will comfortably beat Falcons with a TBP

Sarries will be too hard for LI to break down and will win by 7 points

Worcester will hold on at home to beat Chiefs by 2 points.

I have no idea with Quins. Hopefully we will react to our thrashing in France like we did when Toulouse taught us how rugby is played and not how we did when we bottled it against Connaught. Wasps have Wade back so could be very dangerous if they get as much ball as us. We must utilise the strengths of our best backrow (for this match, Robshaw, Mo, Easter with Wallace on the bench) to make sure that doesn't happen
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Sale will draw with Bath, 18 all, Bath with 2 tries to Sale's 1.

And the maths pedant in me returns Smile Impossible to score 18pts with just 1 try.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:29 pm

Good point well made. 20 all then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:51 pm

Cheers HKC, interesting that you've gone for Saints I think you're about the only person who backs them for the game. Tbh Tigers just seem to be in the zone at the moment and after beating Saracens i'd be shocked if they slipped up against the other title contenders so close to the play offs (well before they come to the Stoop anyway!)

ASBO did you ever think Chiefs would be doing so well at the start of the season, just think two wins and that fourth spot is all yours infact you could lose this weekend and still get it.

Chequered, agree it's going to be another big game for our backrow. We have to start one of Robshaw or Mo and i'd be more then happy with both, Easter needs one of his good games to redeem himself.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Moorsman Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

yappysnap wrote:
ASBO did you ever think Chiefs would be doing so well at the start of the season, just think two wins and that fourth spot is all yours infact you could lose this weekend and still get it.

as Chris Budgen would say "Unbereal" Yahoo
Moorsman
Moorsman

http://www.thechiefstribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:And of course Mallinder told the press he hates Cockerill yesterday Very Happy

he's also finding it hard to accept that Clark got 32 weeks. Jeeez the man needs to learn when to shut up. I can remember when people were wanting him for the englands coach job!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

yappysnap wrote:Cheers HKC, interesting that you've gone for Saints I think you're about the only person who backs them for the game. Tbh Tigers just seem to be in the zone at the moment and after beating Saracens i'd be shocked if they slipped up against the other title contenders so close to the play offs (well before they come to the Stoop anyway!)

Chequered, agree it's going to be another big game for our backrow. We have to start one of Robshaw or Mo and i'd be more then happy with both, Easter needs one of his good games to redeem himself.
Yappy, truthfully, no - but I keep pinching myself just to be sure! There was always the plan to become a top English and European club in due course, but this year's effort in the prem is above expectations, no doubt. Full credit to Rob Baxter, the coaching and conditioning staff, and of course the players - they really have done an amazing job. I've got my fingers crossed for a win this weekend, but Sixways has proven to be a tricky venue to go and take big points. Hopefully the players can move on from Paris and do the job tho Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:39 pm

we'll all be behind you boys ASBO, I think everyone would prefer to see Exeter in the knockouts at the expense of Saints. It could possibly give them a much needed kick too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:15 am

Lineups for Sale v Bath

Sale Sharks: Miller; Brady, Leota, Tuitupou (capt), Cueto; Macleod, Peel; Sheridan, Ward, Buckley; Ostrikov, Myall; Gaskell, Seymour, Powell.

Replacements: M Jones, Cobilas, Thomas, Vernon, Easter, Willis, Addison, Amesbury.

Bath: Abendanon; Carraro, Banahan, Barkley, Biggs; Heathcote, Claassens; Catt, Batty, Wilson; Attwood, Hooper (capt); Skirving, Fearns, Taylor.

Replacements: Dixon, Beech, Perenise, Caldwell, Ovens, McMillan, Vesty, Hipkiss.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

yappysnap wrote:Cheers HKC, interesting that you've gone for Saints I think you're about the only person who backs them for the game. Tbh Tigers just seem to be in the zone at the moment and after beating Saracens i'd be shocked if they slipped up against the other title contenders so close to the play offs (well before they come to the Stoop anyway!)

I've never been one to follow the crowd! Tumbleweed

Saints are just one of those sides that are always very tough at home, with the added spice of a local derby I think they'll put in a good performance.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by logansrun38 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:31 am

Saints are due a good perfomance too!

logansrun38

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm

I just can't see it myself! Yes Saints could well be tough to breakdown but Leicester will by up for the challenge I think they have that extra class and experience to win it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

Quins team is up for tomorrow and it's a cracker!

15 Mike Brown
14 Ugo Monye
13 George Lowe
12 Jordan Turner-Hall
11 Sam Smith
10 Rory Clegg
9 Danny Care

1 Joe Marler
2 Rob Buchanan
3 James Johnston
4 Olly Kohn
5 George Robson
6 Maurie Fa'asavalu
7 Chris Robshaw (C)
8 Nick Easter

16 Aston Croall 17 Mark Lambert 18 Will Collier 19 Tomas Vallejos 20 Tom Guest 21 Karl Dickson 22 Benjamin Urdapilleta 23 Ross Chisholm

Great to see me and O'Shea are reading from the same page regarding back three, Smith's in for Williams and Chisholm's on the bench.

And for the first time in a while I can say it looks like we have a nasty big pack out to face Wasps youngsters so good to have Marler, Kohn, Robshaw and Mo back starting. We'll definitly be looking to bully the opposition all afternoon especially as Clegg's at 10 still due to injury.

Can not wait for this game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:41 pm

Tigers saints teams:

Leicester Tigers (v Northampton Saints, Aviva Premiership Rugby, Franklin's Gardens, Saturday 2.15pm)
15 Geordan Murphy (c)
14 Horacio Agulla
13 Manusamoa Tuilagi
12 Anthony Allen
11 Alesana Tuilagi
10 Toby Flood
9 Ben Youngs
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 George Chuter
3 Dan Cole
4 George Skivington
5 Geoff Parling
6 Tom Croft
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Martin Castrogiovanni
18 Logovi'i Mulipola
19 Steve Mafi
20 Craig Newby
21 Sam Harrison
22 Billy Twelvetrees
23 Scott Hamilton

Northampton Saints
15 Ben Foden
14 Chris Ashton
13 George Pisi
12 James Downey
11 Paul Diggin
10 Ryan Lamb
9 Lee Dickson (c)
1 Soane Tonga'uiha
2 Andy Long
3 Brian Mujati
4 Samu Manoa
5 Christian Day
6 James Craig
7 Phil Dowson
8 Roger Wilson

Replacements
16 Ross McMillan
17 Alex Waller
18 Paul Doran Jones
19 Mark Sorenson
20 Ben Nutley
21 Martin Roberts
22 Stephen Myler
23 Tom May

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:43 pm

Interesting that Dickson's the captain for the game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:49 pm

yappysnap wrote:Interesting that Dickson's the captain for the game.

I thought that as well. Had just assumed it would be Dowson.

Tigers bench strength is pretty good.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

yappysnap wrote:Quins team is up for tomorrow and it's a cracker!

15 Mike Brown
14 Ugo Monye
13 George Lowe
12 Jordan Turner-Hall
11 Sam Smith
10 Rory Clegg
9 Danny Care

1 Joe Marler
2 Rob Buchanan
3 James Johnston
4 Olly Kohn
5 George Robson
6 Maurie Fa'asavalu
7 Chris Robshaw (C)
8 Nick Easter

16 Aston Croall 17 Mark Lambert 18 Will Collier 19 Tomas Vallejos 20 Tom Guest 21 Karl Dickson 22 Benjamin Urdapilleta 23 Ross Chisholm

Great to see me and O'Shea are reading from the same page regarding back three, Smith's in for Williams and Chisholm's on the bench.

And for the first time in a while I can say it looks like we have a nasty big pack out to face Wasps youngsters so good to have Marler, Kohn, Robshaw and Mo back starting. We'll definitly be looking to bully the opposition all afternoon especially as Clegg's at 10 still due to injury.

Can not wait for this game.
I'd rather have Wallace than Guest this match, but other than that looks perfect. Let's not let them get the ball at all- Robshaw has improved greatly as a 7 and with him and Mo we can absolutely boss the fringes of any rucks.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

I know what you mean Chequered but tbh I can't see our backrow changing that much and if someone does need to be subbed i'd prefer Easter so Guest can play his best position. If Wallace was on the bench then we'd have to sub Mo.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:09 pm

Alex Corbisiero will be the youngest London Irish player in the professional era to captain the Exiles when he leads the side out against Saracens at Madejski Stadium tomorrow afternoon (kick-off 3pm).

The England international will be joined in the front row by Faan Rautenbach, who is one of five changes and two positional changes from the side that faced Exeter Chiefs.

Delon Armitage starts in the back three with Sailosi Tagicakibau and Tom Homer. Joe Ansbro moves from outside centre to inside centre where he will be joined by Jonathan Joseph. Matt Garvey moves from the back row to the second row to partner Bryn Evans with Ofisa Treviranus and Richard Thorpe joining Jamie Gibson in the back row.

London Irish head coach Toby Booth said: “It is great to be back playing in front of our home supporters at Madejski Stadium. We have enjoyed a successful week’s training in the lead up to this match and are ready for what is sure to be a tough encounter.”

London Irish team to face Saracens:

15. Tom Homer; 14. Delon Armitage*; 13. Jonathan Joseph; 12. Joe Ansbro*; 11. Sailosi Tagicakibau*; 10. Adrian Jarvis; 9. Darren Allinson; 1.Alex Corbisiero* (Captain); 2. David Paice*; 3. Faan Rautenbach*; 4. Bryn Evans*; 5. Matt Garvey; 6. Jamie Gibson; 7. Richard Thorpe; 8. Ofisa Treviranus*

Replacements: 16. James Buckland; 17. Max Lahiff; 18. Leo Halavatau; 19. Jebb Sinclair*; 20. Alex Gray; 21. Topsy Ojo*; 22. Steve Shingler; 23. Ross Samson

Interesting team selection. Great to see Corbs given the captaincy, and Big Trev starting in the back row. Will be interesting to see how Ansbro goes at 12, have never seen him play there before.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:18 pm

Glaws
Jonny May; Charlie Sharples, Mike Tindall, Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu, James Simpson-Daniel; Freddie Burns, Nick Runciman; Dan Murphy, Scott Lawson, Rupert Harden; Jim Hamilton, Alex Brown; Peter Buxton, Akapusi Qera, Luke Narraway (capt)

Replacements:
Darren Dawidiuk, Yann Thomas, Shaun Knight, Will James, Alasdair Strokosch, Dave Lewis, Tim Taylor, Tim Molenaar

Newcastle:
15 Greg Goosen, 14 Corne Uys, 13 Jamie Helleur, 12 James Fitzpatrick, 11 Ryan Shortland, 10 Jimmy Gopperth (c), 9 Peter Stringer, 1 Jonny Golding, 2 Rob Vickers, 3 Euan Murray, 4 James Hudson, 5 Tim Swinson, 6 Ally Hogg, 7 Will Welch, 8 Adam Balding

Replacements: 16 Matt Thompson, 17 Grant Shiells, 18 James Hall, 19 James Goode, 20 Taiasina Tu'ifua, 21 Mark Wilson, 22 Will Chudley, 23 Tom Catterick

We really should win this game easily, but I have to admit to feeling slightly nervy! Falcons need to make sure Glaws don't get any early scores as after recent performances I can see the team/fans getting a bit restless if its a tight game at the 50/60 minute mark.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:44 pm

yappysnap wrote:I know what you mean Chequered but tbh I can't see our backrow changing that much and if someone does need to be subbed i'd prefer Easter so Guest can play his best position. If Wallace was on the bench then we'd have to sub Mo.

It's a question of versatility, surely?

Robshaw and Mo both cover 6 & 7 - as does Wallace
Guest covers 6, 8, lock and wing

If everyone stays fit and in form, I expect Mo / Robshaw / Easter / Guest on bench to be our backrow combination for all the remaining matches, unless we find ourselves with the luxury of not needing a result at Sale.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:55 pm

Yes but I'd argue that as a flyer Wallace is more of a game changer whilst Guest is a really good 8 but unlikely to allow us to change approach midgame. I like knowing our subs can change the way we play so that if our approach is failing we can genuinely take a different approach
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 13 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

Guest can change the tactics just as much though, he suddenly brings a huge amount of pace and energy to the backrow and that's brilliant to have late in the game.

I'd really like to be able to have Guest and Wallace in there but I guess there's just not the room so Wallace falls out unfortunately.

Next season I'd like to see a lot more of:
6. Robshaw
7. Wallace
8. Guest

20. Fa'Asavalu

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next