The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified

4 posters

Go down

“Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified Empty “Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified

Post by JRW11Evea Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:31 pm

“Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified

How many times have you heard the following statement?
“I Hate Football, Footballers are so overpaid, Nurses and Soldiers should be paid more.”
Now, before I go on, I want to make it clear, at no point do I underestimate or under appreciate the work for our country that armed and emergency services do. I wish I had the kind of commitment that they show on a daily basis.

However the comparison between footballers, and the armed and emergency services, is frustratingly flawed. The career paths are not remotely related. Football is a Private Sector industry. Footballers work for profit making organisations, and are paid a portion of a fee that people pay to see them. If I am honest, I think the prices of football tickets are too high, and could send fair weather punters to other sports, or lower league clubs in search of alternative entertainment if the prices continue to increase. But the fact that the top clubs still retain high average attendances, means the increase in prices is an irrelevancy, if people still pay the prices put in front of them week in week out, and the people who they pay to see are paid a share of it, what’s the issue? The Services are government funded. So yes, if you want Nurses and Soldiers to be earning the same amount as footballers, you will see a dramatic increase in taxes.

Now again, I’ll re-iterate, I am not saying Soldiers and Nurses should not be paid more, but how many people, who preach their hatred of football, will be will have the same few on the services when higher taxes mean that it is hard to afford to get by? How many people would want the NHS to become fully privatised? And be paying through the nose for healthcare? The idea of comparing these two drastically different worlds and industries, would imply that the same person is paying footballers, nurses and soldiers and that some higher power is responsible.

I cannot stress enough that I’m not under some deluded view that football is more important than the Army and NHS. But aside from the fact different people pay the wages of soldiers and nurses and footballers, why does this justify a hatred for the game. Football is not entirely professional; it is a game first and an industry second, so why hate the entire sport because a proportion of its players are paid astronomical wages.

I am interested to know if these people that hate Football outright, hate all Music, because bands, rappers, X-Factor winners earn a pocket, or whether they refuse to watch films or television, because actors and television companies make a fortune? Do they refuse to eat at a chain restaurant or shop at a supermarket; because Tesco or Jamie’s Italian earn more than Nurses?

I can fully appreciate that not everyone loves the beautiful game, but what I would appreciate a lot more, is that if someone wants to preach to me how football is travesty, they could back up their view with something that was not clichéd. That would be refreshing

https://www.606v2.com/t27558-footballers-are-overpaid-hatred-for-the-beautiful-game-is-bias-and-unjustified#1128617

JRW11Evea

Back to top Go down

“Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified Empty Re: “Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm

I've cleaned up the contractions, looks good otherwise.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

“Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified Empty Re: “Footballers are overpaid!” – Hatred for the Beautiful Game is Bias and Unjustified

Post by JRW11Evea Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

cheers Very Happy

JRW11Evea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:08 pm

very good article could of strengthened your argument by saying wages in other sports/countries thumbsup

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by JRW11Evea Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:14 pm

@fernando think thatd be a good addition, do you know where i could get the kind of figures from, and how i would use them to my advantage?

JRW11Evea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:24 pm

That pretty much sums up most of it

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6391145

Top paid athlete for every country Smile well if you compare someone like wayne rooney who earns 250k a week to lewis hamilton who earns around $16m a year it sums up really plently of other sports overpaying eg NFL/Baseball most of them on list from baseball

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:28 pm

Thomond has just done the same thing in the article Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:34 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6354899 Top paying sports clubs.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by JRW11Evea Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:28 pm

should i put it in if someones already covered it ? also could someone give my other two peices a look over, so i know whether to move them to published or not?

JRW11Evea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down