The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Educating the Americans?

2 posters

Go down

Educating the Americans? Empty Educating the Americans?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:53 am

Hi all, this is not really an RL article per se, but I thought it might give you a giggle. The New York Jets American Football team have signed Aussie-born former Saracens and USA RU lock Hayden Smith on a development contract. Here's an article where a US writer says why he thinks it's a good idea: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1136768-ny-jets-3-key-things-that-new-jets-player-hayden-smith-brings-to-the-table. Check out the youtube clip he picked to illustrate how tough "rugby" tackes are - all from the NRL as far as I can tell.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Educating the Americans? Empty Re: Educating the Americans?

Post by Thomond Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:59 pm

There are rumours that Leeds Rhinos star Kevin Sinfield might be joining the NFL too as a Punter/Kicker. I don't watch much League but he has always struck me as a great goalkicker, particularly as a lot of the league goal kicking is rubbish. A decent footballer too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:30 pm

Thomond wrote:There are rumours that Leeds Rhinos star Kevin Sinfield might be joining the NFL too as a Punter/Kicker. I don't watch much League but he has always struck me as a great goalkicker, particularly as a lot of the league goal kicking is rubbish. A decent footballer too.

Didn't Gavin Hastings do that (Scottish RU fullback). Pretty sure I remember a couple of NZers doing similar too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:34 pm

I don't know, it would have been before my time. Anyway Gavin Hastings missed from 5m out with no pressure on him, so I think he might have had a problem with a 19 stone man running towards him!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:44 pm

According to Wiki:
In 1996, Hastings made an initially controversial decision to accept an invitation to switch to American football as a kicker with the Scottish Claymores of the WLAF. Hastings' brief spell in his new code was a poor one, even though the Claymores won that year's World Bowl at the home of Scottish Rugby, Murrayfield Stadium. Hastings missed 4 of his 27 extra point attempts, and missed his solitary field goal attempt.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:46 pm

Jesus, missing an extra point is the same as missing a kick 5m out. I know he missed a big one in one game but still, that is pathetic.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down