The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you hanker back to the old days of golf club membership . . .

+6
oldshanker
drive4show
George1507
Doc
Redrage
Mercurio
10 posters

Go down

If you hanker back to the old days of golf club membership . . . Empty If you hanker back to the old days of golf club membership . . .

Post by Mercurio Wed 30 Mar 2011, 3:57 pm

try Switzerland.

Mrs Mercurio is moving to Switzerland in July. One of the major determinants as to whether I follow her is whether I can play golf out there.

I contacted Lausanne Golf Club and asked them for details on membership, etc. This is what I got back (via Google Translate and the CHF/GBP exchange rate:

Dear Sir,

Finance entry at the Golf Club de Lausanne is CHF 25'000/£17,000 .- to fund lost. The annual fee is CHF 2900/£1,972 .- plus a restaurant in advance of consumption of CHF 500/£333 .- and map ASG (CHF 65/£45 .-). To join the club, your application must be sponsored by two members and be accepted by the club committee.

Please find attached various documents relating to a registration in our club.

Feel free to contact us if you want more information.

Sincerely,

A small fortune to join, sponsored by two members and approved by committee - how very early 1980s.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

If you hanker back to the old days of golf club membership . . . Empty Re: If you hanker back to the old days of golf club membership . . .

Post by Redrage Wed 30 Mar 2011, 4:06 pm

I have a friend who lives in Zurich and he tells me it is difficult to get a casual game because the rules are so strict. You must have a handicap certificate, he does not possess one as he lives there and isn't a member anywhere. It's all very archaic sounding. Another thing about the Swiss, is that rules must be followed to the letter... which is great at times, but a massive annoyance at others.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

If you hanker back to the old days of golf club membership . . . Empty Re: If you hanker back to the old days of golf club membership . . .

Post by Doc Wed 30 Mar 2011, 4:13 pm

Merc check this place out as it's the only Pete Dye course in Europe:
http://www.golfdomaineimperial.ch/golf/golf/index.php/en/visitors/faq
can play as a visitor or buy a 'passive share' or a full share

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 30 Mar 2011, 4:22 pm

A lot of clubs in Switzerland, France and Germany are very expensive places like that. It's a corporate thing I think - many of the members they do have get the sub and entrance fee paid as part of their remuneration. Whenever I've been to clubs it Switzerland, Germany or France there's never anyone there. The place is deserted!

Ignore that 'sponsored by two members' bit - your application will be rubber stamped - if you can afford it, if you've ever played before and you don't have tattoos on your face.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 30 Mar 2011, 5:05 pm

Mercurio wrote:

Mrs Mercurio is moving to Switzerland in July. One of the major determinants as to whether I follow her is whether I can play golf out there.

Guess you're going to miss her then?? 🤦

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 30 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

Guess you're going to miss her then?? 🤦
D4S 8) Guess the merc will be looking for some playing partners shortly

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:21 pm

Ouch Merc - How long will she be staying there, and could your membership fee be part of her remuneration? thumbsup
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:27 pm

Mrs M is going for 3 years. The move is an internal one for her and she'll come back to the same company when she returns. I'd have to give up my (good) job and could not expect to fall back into it when I return so we have to be sensible.

She's been to Switzerland lots whereas I've never been so once I've visited (which I am next week), I may quite fancy the idea of moving.

If I don't go, we'll still meet at least once a month for a long weekend - next week's return flights cost me less than £50.

She's trying hard to get me over, though - she's found a house that's on a golf course!

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

Have you considered just divorcing her?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 30 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm

It was for reason like the prices and extremely old way of doing things you have been given by the Swiss Merc that I actually gave up the game for a period whilst I was stationed in Germany, the fees they wanted and the rules imposed on when and where you could play were too much and removed any enjoyment of the game.

I hope you find a way around this and get to spend that time with Mrs Merc if not then enjoy all the extra golfing you'll be able to fit in, in her absence

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 30 Mar 2011, 11:27 pm

Cheers, Mav - Golf will certainly be played whatever happens.

Very Happy

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

I've been informed that Lausanne is the second most exclusive golf course in Switzerland, which is a relief.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:52 pm

they didn't tell you there were only two tracks in the whole country though. laughing
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:32 pm

I don't think chavs are allowed merc Very Happy you'll have to stick to the council pitch and putt

<tongue firmly in cheek>

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:34 pm

I think I should remain neutral in this debate.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 31 Mar 2011, 4:09 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:I think I should remain neutral in this debate.

That was such a classic line from Men Behaving Badly. She turns up on his doorstep after a row and says "Can we go somewhere neutral to talk?" and Clunes replies "What, Switzerland?"
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down