The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northampton sign Luther Burrell

3 posters

Go down

Northampton sign Luther Burrell Empty Northampton sign Luther Burrell

Post by Cumbrian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

As the title says:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/breaking-news-northampton-saints-sign-centre-burrell-1-3670035

Published on Tuesday 27 March 2012 11:09

Northampton Saints confirmed this morning that Luther Burrell will be joining the club ahead of the 2012/13 season.

The 24-year-old centre, who joins from Sale who he left Leeds for last summer, stands at 6ft 3in and 104kg.

Huddersfield-born Burrell made his senior rugby debut for Leeds aged just 19, and went on to make 41 appearances for the club. His rugby development was aided by several spells on loan to Championship clubs, including Sedgley Park, for whom Burrell played against the Saints in 2007/08.

In all Burrell, who has also played rugby league for Huddersfield and trained with Leeds Rhinos, spent four seasons at Headingley before moving over the Pennines to Sale Sharks last summer.

Burrell has played in all three competitions for the Sharks this season and Saints director of rugby Jim Mallinder says that he will be a useful addition to the squad at Franklin’s Gardens.

“We’ve seen a lot of Luther in action against us in the past five years and think that he will fit in well to the way we like to play the game,” he said. “He carries the ball very well and gets over the gain line. But he also has the ability to bring other players around him into the game as well, and is a strong defender.

“He will give us good depth in the squad and we’re looking forward to Luther joining us in the summer.”

Burrell is excited by the prospect of moving to the Saints.

“It’s going to be a new adventure for me,” he said. “It’s a massive club playing in the biggest tournaments in the world and I want to be a part of a successful team. Having people I know there already like Calum [Clark], Scott [Armstrong] and James [Craig] obviously helped, but I’m making the move for a combination of factors.

“I want to be playing inside centre and I believe the club suits the way I play. I’m a physical player and like to get teams onto the front foot.

“Obviously with James Downey leaving I know I’ve got big boots to fill. I’ve got a lot of respect for James and have played against him a number of times. But hopefully I can step in and bring something to the Saints squad.”
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Northampton sign Luther Burrell Empty Re: Northampton sign Luther Burrell

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

Good signing for Saints. Not the biggest name going but big names don't always deliver and this will be a cheap signing with a lot of potential. I expect to see Saints quite a bit this off season as they will look to stregnthen their squad further as in the previous season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

I like the way the clubs have been recruiting this year. They seem to padding out their squads with players from the Championship or giving second chances to fringe players like Burrell.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I like the way the clubs have been recruiting this year. They seem to padding out their squads with players from the Championship or giving second chances to fringe players like Burrell.

Well they can keep their mits off whilst we are down there!!! furious

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm

Hmm not sure they want to Geordie. Fitzpatrick would have been perfect for Saints but you seem to have him tied down. Saints might be looking for an additional flanker and back 3 player though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm

Saints might be looking for an additional flanker and back 3 player though.

Well we dont have any of those...nope non at all...so they can keep looking else where Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar 2012, 2:49 pm

To be fair, with the size of Sale's squad there might be some more players worth stealing there. They won't be able to retain all of them and some on the fringes will want more game time. The openside can't remember his name, Eastern European I think, came off the bench to play against Tigers. He was a nightmare at the breakdown, I wouldn't be suprised if someone tried to snap him up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:I like the way the clubs have been recruiting this year. They seem to padding out their squads with players from the Championship or giving second chances to fringe players like Burrell.

Well they can keep their mits off whilst we are down there!!! furious

Deano will sort it out. I'm confident that we'll keep hold of the likes of Mark Wilson, Will Welch and Joe Robinson if (WHEN!) we bounce up at the first time of asking. Even if we don't, I've heard promising things from the youth section about Guy Van Den Dries. Wink
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

Oh really...havent heard about him mind Cumbrian. Another one on the production line eh?

I hope Mark Wilson, Will Welch and Joe Robinson really make it...cos individually the potential is high...imagine together...could be very impressive...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:05 pm

Aye, with a front five containing Grant Shiels, Darren Fearns, Scott Wilson, Josh Beaumont and a monster hooker. Good, young and hopefully be around for years.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

Young packs are good but they generally require some experience in there somewhere to add steel and savvy. Could you get your hands on an experienced hooker? That might work. Maybe Murray will stay if you go down.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:16 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Young packs are good but they generally require some experience in there somewhere to add steel and savvy. Could you get your hands on an experienced hooker? That might work. Maybe Murray will stay if you go down.

I feel it is unlikely that Murray will stick around. I'm hoping we pick up a couple of gnarled old props from the Championship though, maybe a second row too. Good/ experienced hookers seem hard to come by at them moment (ahem!). I had high hopes for my fellow Cumbrian Nathan Morris, but he buggered off to Wasps! We might have to stick with one of the Mayhew brothers at this point.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down