The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPSET OF THE NIGHT - Jennings ends Liakhovich's career

3 posters

Go down

UPSET OF THE NIGHT - Jennings ends Liakhovich's career Empty UPSET OF THE NIGHT - Jennings ends Liakhovich's career

Post by oxring Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 am

(hopefully).

Bryant Jennings, the slight 6'2 220lb Philly fighter last night dominated former world champion Sergei - the white wolf Liakhovich over 9 rounds, eventually forcing Liakhovich's cornermen to step in stop the fight. A career best win for the 13(6)-0 novice - who stepped in as a replacement for the original fight, scheduled between Chambers and Sergei.

There's a lot to like about Jennings. Firstly - his relentless commitment to fitness and technique. He doesn't have Foremanesque power - but he was still able to bust up and cut Liakhovich last night. His defence isn't the tightest, his jab isn't the quickest, his combinations aren't the smoothest. HOWEVER - he does most things well. Chin seems OK as well. And his BALANCE of skills is his greatest strength - as well as a willingness to fight on the inside.

Can he go all the way? Possibly. He won't reach anything like the top level for another couple of years at least - probably 3 - and in that time - AT LEAST 1 of the Kbros will have retired and maybe the other will have declined...

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:1668566 - if you haven't seen it.

Anyway - youtube on him. Comment.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

UPSET OF THE NIGHT - Jennings ends Liakhovich's career Empty Re: UPSET OF THE NIGHT - Jennings ends Liakhovich's career

Post by azania Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:10 am

Decent hand speed but boy does he look ungainly. A contender? Well if Fury is a contender then this guy has a chance. If he ever wins the HW title, I'll be shocked.

azania

Back to top Go down

UPSET OF THE NIGHT - Jennings ends Liakhovich's career Empty Re: UPSET OF THE NIGHT - Jennings ends Liakhovich's career

Post by oxring Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 am

Ungainly? Really? Not the word I'd have used to describe his limitations.

His punches tend to be thrown on balance - which is something neither Agmedusalamov [apologies for awful spelling] and Fury can't do.

His biggest weakness - to my mind at any rate - is how slow he looks in terms of footspeed. Not that much head movement either on his way in - but then - he hasn't been caught yet, so maybe its better than it looks.

Speed kills in boxing - and at the moment, he still moves as though his boots are made of cement. Maybe that will improve though.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:40 am

oxring wrote:Ungainly? Really? Not the word I'd have used to describe his limitations.

His punches tend to be thrown on balance - which is something neither Agmedusalamov [apologies for awful spelling] and Fury can't do.

His biggest weakness - to my mind at any rate - is how slow he looks in terms of footspeed. Not that much head movement either on his way in - but then - he hasn't been caught yet, so maybe its better than it looks.

Speed kills in boxing - and at the moment, he still moves as though his boots are made of cement. Maybe that will improve though.

He's been caught and rocked by some hispanic hombre. Look for it on you tube. Litterally no head movement, no footwork other than moving foreward in straight lined. His upper body movement is decent but it seems he has to think before doing it. Al least he's in shape and fit and wants to improve/win.

Good luck to him. He'll need it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:45 am

We agree ref footwork and head movement then - take back what I said about not having been rocked - although he did better last night.

Surely ugainly refers to Fury - which isn't JUST poor footwork but poor footwork COMBINED with average balance and timing...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:46 am

I mean I think Jim Watt summed it up the best when watching Agmedusalamov, "With the HW division as it is, he's got about as muchh chance as everybody else" Same with this guy, nothing special, but not bad at all, would be suprised if he presented a challenge to either Klits ever, but will keep my eye on him.

Just praying Deontay Wilder begins to truly breakthrough and is actually the real deal,wouldn't be awful facing someone like Pettaway next to prove he doesn't just beat up complete bums, someoen who of course doesn't really have the technique to challenge him, but just ask a couple more questions of him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:20 am

oxring wrote:We agree ref footwork and head movement then - take back what I said about not having been rocked - although he did better last night.

Surely ugainly refers to Fury - which isn't JUST poor footwork but poor footwork COMBINED with average balance and timing...

You win with Fury there. Cant and surprisingly wont argue with that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down