The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin Henson

+23
george doors
Hound_of_Harrow
bsando
IanBru
21st Century Schizoid Man
Barney McGrew did it
Cardiff Dave
glamorganalun
thebluesmancometh
drsambo1928
Biltong
mpc28
wales606
Smirnoffpriest
XR
ScarletSpiderman
BlueNote
Seagultaf
gowales
maestegmafia
Shifty
Knowsit17
Liam
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gavin Henson Empty Gavin Henson

Post by Liam Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:01 pm

Look, I understand he's not everyone's cup of tea. Yes, he left Osprey's in poor circumstances. But, the fact he wasn't in the 23 for the Blues tonight is, in my opinion, a disgrace on the part of the Blues coaches. They create little with the backs as it is, and when you have a fit Gavin Henson and don't even consider him ahead of Hewitt and others on the bench, it really does my head in.

The worst thing that happened to him was meeting Charlotte Church, and also his management team should be shot for some of the advice they have given him over his career, as they know what we know that Gav isn't the sharpest tool in box. But he's fit and so far this season has shown what he's capable of, showing some nice touches against Dragons and Osprey's, and looking good against Ulster in his favourite position of 12, playing in Evans with a great flat pass. So when the Blues coaches don't consider him for the squad in a big game against the Scarlets you have to ask yourself, are their ego's that big that they won;t even consider the guy when he's fit, and then are forced to call the guy up to the squad because Ben Blair has the flu. How they think Evans and Hewitt are better players than him I don't know. Him and Roberts in the centre would bring some real impetus to the Blues back line. Henson could do a similar job to what BOD did on the Lions tour, staying flat and bringing Roberts into the game with little inside passes. He's also always had a good defence and does some good work in the breakdown.

It really baffles me, He's there, he's fit and ready to go and he's still not considered by the chuckle brothers. A playing and fit Henson is only beneficial, to both club and country. He's been all over the place the last couple of years, but has earned a bit of money after some torrid injuries, now he's said he wants to concentrate on his rugby, but when his coaches don't consider him for the match day 23, it will be a matter of time where he will turn around and say do you know what, I don't need this that'll do me. Henson is 30, he should be in his prime as a centre, give him his last chance, you have nothing to lose and we may just salvage a couple of years out of henson without him fully becoming a wasted talent, despite his two grand slams.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson Empty Re: Gavin Henson

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:07 pm

Blues could have won with or without Henson tonight and didn't. He's the least of their worries based on that performance, first priority is to cut out costly errors like those of Cuthbert and Parks. Two tries on a platter Rolling Eyes

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

The blues are broke and Henson was reported to have signed a "pay as you play" deal until the end of the season. I think they are not snubbing him, they just don't want to pay him. The Blues have 4 league games left and probably won't make the play offs so why pay him?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Blues could have won with or without Henson tonight and didn't. He's the least of their worries based on that performance, first priority is to cut out costly errors like those of Cuthbert and Parks. Two tries on a platter Rolling Eyes

I agree, i'm not saying if Henson had played he would have won the game for them, its just frustrating to think when he's fit he's not considered

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:14 pm

AlynDavies wrote:The blues are broke and Henson was reported to have signed a "pay as you play" deal until the end of the season. I think they are not snubbing him, they just don't want to pay him. The Blues have 4 league games left and probably won't make the play offs so why pay him?

I see your point, but I still think they might as well play him, why not.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

He made a big difference when he came on tonight offered nice flat ball for the forwards to run on to and made hewitt look like an age grade player

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

viewtothegym wrote:He made a big difference when he came on tonight offered nice flat ball for the forwards to run on to and made hewitt look like an age grade player

I agree, it is hard to understand why he wasn't first choice for the blues last night...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun 25 Mar 2012, 2:08 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
viewtothegym wrote:He made a big difference when he came on tonight offered nice flat ball for the forwards to run on to and made hewitt look like an age grade player

I agree, it is hard to understand why he wasn't first choice for the blues last night...?

And that'h him playing out of position at FB, if he was playing 10 Blues would be a real threat going forward. Him at 10, Roberts 12, Laluala 13 and 1/2p 15 and Cuthbert at 14 would actually utilise the talented Backs Blues have, and his defence would also be an added bonus. I don't think he should play centre, as good as he was, rugby is a different game from 2005 and even 2008. His talent would be much better used at 10 for Blues and who knows maybe Wales. The good thing is his never relied on pace, so he's got a few years left in the tank.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 2:32 pm

He was a pretty good flyhalf as a kid, very good inside Center as an adult. Covers full back well too.

Most importantly he is a better 10 than Parks, Center than Hewitt and fullback than Cezkaj.

Why are the Blues so poor at selection?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:13 pm

Because they've got two amateurs coaches

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

gowales wrote:Because they've got two amateurs coaches
No both are professionals, I think you mean novice coaches.

The problem is they are dealing with massive changes behind the scenes, whilst finding their feet and coping with players that were brought in to the club by Dai Youngs regime.

Blues still have a shot at the HEC, could make the playoffs of the Rabbo and could have the best season of any welsh region claiming the double this year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Correct thumbsup They should go back to coaching in the Welsh prem and stay there

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:24 pm

gowales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Correct thumbsup They should go back to coaching in the Welsh prem and stay there
But they are doing well. Blues are in a position where they could win the double this year.

Surely they are not culpable.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

I remember watching Henson as a 19 year old at St Helens, he looked a great prospect with genuine pace. But now Henson still looks classy in space but does not have the determination or concentration to make it in modern pro rugby. He was turned over for Fenby's second try and completly missed Gareth Davies for the Scarlets 3rd.

He has been tried out at Scaracens, Toulon and now the Blues and failed to win a place in the side.

I cannot see any professional side taking a risk on Henson next season, the doors at the last chance saloon have closed, goodnight!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:31 pm

But the standard of rugby by the Blues has been terrible all year. There doesn't even seem to be a gameplan. I also can't really see them winning anything this year looking at their fixture list.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:33 pm

I thought he looked promising but still rusty yesterday. If he gets a run of games, especially at 12, he will still be a force.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:37 pm

gowales wrote:But the standard of rugby by the Blues has been terrible all year. There doesn't even seem to be a gameplan. I also can't really see them winning anything this year looking at their fixture list.

Luckily Dan Parks will leave for Connacht soon. He is pretty much the sole reason they can't perform.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
gowales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

But they are doing well. Blues are in a position where they could win the double this year.

Surely they are not culpable.

To be honest there tends to be one of two things happen when you get a new coaching set up. Either you get a honeymoon period where the team play better for the new coach in order to keep their jobs (Ruddock with Wales/Lancaster with England?), or you get a slight slump in form, which then tends to pick up the following few seasons as the coaches get their team in place that they want (Davies with Scarlets/Henry with Wales). At the moment, and with the clear out at the Blues, I would assume these fall into the second catagory. SO wait until this time next year to judge them
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

We can't wait til next year because they are only in charge until the end of this one!

Well, apparently they are. I imagine they'll get the job despite the dire situation we're in.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 30 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

If Parks was the sole reason for the Blues playing terribly then why do they play so poorly when Sweeney is in the side - and why do the rest of the players make so many elemental errors?

It'll be good to see a good attacking 10 at the Blues for once next season, but the problems go deeper and selection has been puzzling this season.

Next season they could have a good year if (and it's a big IF) they get a prop/hooker or 2. They've got great depth at lock, Patterson and Pretorious coming along nicely at 6, 7 is obviously strong and if they sign Delve as rumoured then that's a nice back 5.
The backs are some of the best of the Welsh regions as well, but they really do need to play with some heart and cut out the errors

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Mar 2012, 10:23 am

Delve has signed for Toulon.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 30 Mar 2012, 10:38 am

Ahh - a facepalm smiley might be handy!

Damn that's a missed opportunity (for all the regions really - the Ospreys or the scarlets could have replaced Morgan/Stowers with Delve) Ahh well...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Ahh - a facepalm smiley might be handy!

Damn that's a missed opportunity (for all the regions really - the Ospreys or the scarlets could have replaced Morgan/Stowers with Delve) Ahh well...

Delve turned his back on offers from the Blues twice. He has turned his back on any chance getting into the welsh squad - just looking for money now.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

wales606 wrote:

Delve turned his back on offers from the Blues twice. He has turned his back on any chance getting into the welsh squad - just looking for money now.

To be fair he would be behind Faletau and Ryan Jones anyway, and most likely behind Powell (as he is in the untouchables club). So he may as well take the money, as he has no hope of getting into the Welsh team. Also can anyone ever think of a time when Delve has actually played in Wales? I can only think of him being at Bath, Glaw, and the Rebels.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wales606 wrote:

To be fair he would be behind Faletau and Ryan Jones anyway, and most likely behind Powell (as he is in the untouchables club). So he may as well take the money, as he has no hope of getting into the Welsh team. Also can anyone ever think of a time when Delve has actually played in Wales? I can only think of him being at Bath, Glaw, and the Rebels.

Didn't realise that Delve was the same age as Ryan Jones.

We need a few young 8s coming through - Ryan and Powell will be a bit old in 2015.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:11 pm

Well we had Morgan (am still annoyed that he chose the country of his birth of the 'land of heaven on earth'!) but there's also Murphy who looks tasty and could step up in a few years - The Scarlets could have a whole Wales team soon Whistle

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

There are a few who could fill the gap if Faletau is out injured. McCusker has done a stint at 8 internationally. Lewis Evans could probably do a job there too if needed.

As for kids coming through I think the Ospreys and Blues are meant to have a couple of young lads coming through there.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:24 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Well we had Morgan (am still annoyed that he chose the country of his birth of the 'land of heaven on earth'!)

To be honest you can't say that he chose to play for England as they were the better side. I guess its good to see he isn't another of those mercanary players who will play for the best side they can, cos if he did he would have a GS winners medal by now.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:Well we had Morgan (am still annoyed that he chose the country of his birth of the 'land of heaven on earth'!)

To be honest you can't say that he chose to play for England as they were the better side. I guess its good to see he isn't another of those mercanary players who will play for the best side they can, cos if he did he would have a GS winners medal by now.

I know, I respect him for choosing the country he's from and had a greater connection too, and also for not being mercenary (as in all likelihood over the years England will more than likely have great strength in depth at 8 than Wales).

But I'm annoyed that we were so close to having great depth at 8 - Toby, Morgan, R Jones, Delve, some of the youngsters and then err Powell.

I'm just being selfish and petty TBH

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Well we had Morgan (am still annoyed that he chose the country of his birth of the 'land of heaven on earth'!) but there's also Murphy who looks tasty and could step up in a few years - The Scarlets could have a whole Wales team soon Whistle

Scarlets don't do forwards though - There are more Blues players in the Wales 15 than Scarlets (and an equal number in the backline aswell)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Sat 31 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

Anybody know what he has been up to now? apparently there was an incident on the flight back from Glasgow that involved him and there will be a meeting on Monday regarding it.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

If there was an incident involving him I imagine it would involve him telling the team that they are hopless bunch who need to pull their socks up. The lad is to honest for some players

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:10 pm

If there was an incident involving him I imagine it would involve him telling the team that they are hopless bunch who need to pull their socks up. The lad is to honest for some players

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:10 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17575844?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

he's been suspended.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

I am beginning to think Henson articles should go under the off topic threads, eh?Gavin Henson Smiley_running
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

He's completely gone off course and probably won't ever recover. I was always his biggest fan and I hoped when he went to Sarries that he would turn it around. But it didn't happen unfortunatley. A wasted talent.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

viewtothegym wrote:If there was an incident involving him I imagine it would involve him telling the team that they are hopless bunch who need to pull their socks up. The lad is to honest for some players

Thats exactly what i thought...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:15 pm

He just needs to learn to be more tactful

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

I heard a small rumour that it was a bit of fisty cuffs as he slated someones abilities.

But rumours are just that so not sure what to take from that.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

[quote="maestegmafia"]

I don't agree with your definition of "professionals": professional means to me, you are qualified for the job and have experience as well, not the fact you are paid!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

viewtothegym wrote:He just needs to learn to be more tactful

I remember he did similar to Ryan Jones in the Italy vs Wales match in Rome in 09. He was right then and, if this is the case now, that he spoke his mind on the flight, he is right again.

The Blues should not go to Glasgow and lose by 30 points with the team they put out.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

Well another suspension for Henson. 'Honesty the best policy' is clearly taken to heart by Gav, but i'm sure half the time he's probably saying what most of us say on here about the Blues. He's not getting picked when fit, and when picked he's played FB, a couple of times at 12 where he's looked good, then on the wing of all places against Glasgow. Hopefully more emerges but that's him gone from the Blues I would have thought. Hard to think who will take him. Dragons? Scarlets? Osprey's, doubt it, not because of his ability I just feel they'll think for the money they'll have to pay him he's too much of a risk. Wasted talent, what a shame, he looked on course to be something special.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
viewtothegym wrote:He just needs to learn to be more tactful

I remember he did similar to Ryan Jones in the Italy vs Wales match in Rome in 09. He was right then and, if this is the case now, that he spoke his mind on the flight, he is right again.

The Blues should not go to Glasgow and lose by 30 points with the team they put out.

Spot on. I'm sure like you said, he just says what everyone feels as fans. After that performance last night and having to play on the wing, constantly being messed around with by the two coaches who are way out of their depth has probably been bottled up inside him.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:50 pm

Can't see him playing for a region more likely to get a season or two contract with sale, wasps or some other average team

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Can't see him playing for a region more likely to get a season or two contract with sale, wasps or some other average team

I can also see this. In terms of playing for Wales, Gatland likes him and always seems to hold the option of picking him.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Yep.
Should have lost by more as well.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:58 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Can't see him playing for a region more likely to get a season or two contract with sale, wasps or some other average team

Why? - he's already in an average team. P'raps Tonmawr would be a better bet.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm

Because he would get paid more at top level club and a lower half of the English prem table team would have him any day

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 31 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm

If only he was a 13 - then the Ospreys could use him back.

Don't know the full story, but if it was just him telling the coaches what he thinks of them, then go Gav.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next