The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Smoger on the art of refereeing

+4
oxring
88Chris05
Daz
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
8 posters

Go down

Steve Smoger on the art of refereeing Empty Steve Smoger on the art of refereeing

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

http://www.boxingchannel.tv/famed-referee-steve-smoger-gives-a-fascinating-explanation-of-the-art-of-refereeing

It's not a bad interview could be a bit longer but it's alright.

I like Smoger I think he's an excellent ref. I've heard people say he lets fights go on to long but we have just gotten to soft in this country because our refs are likely to stop fights during the ring walks.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Steve Smoger on the art of refereeing Empty Re: Steve Smoger on the art of refereeing

Post by Daz Fri 23 Mar 2012, 11:14 am

Cheers for the link mate - will check it out this weekend. Smoger is one of the best refs around at the moment. He needs more high profile fights.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Steve Smoger on the art of refereeing Empty Re: Steve Smoger on the art of refereeing

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 23 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

Thanks for sharing. I rate Smoger very highly as a referee; doesn't seem determined to be as noticed as the fighters and doesn't try to make it all about himself, which is refreshing in this day and age. Thought he handled the Froch-Ward fight superbly.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 23 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

I really like Smoger - think he's a fantastic referee - I thought he did really well in Margarito-CottoII - making the fighters punch out of the clinch really favoured the fighter with better skills - who was happier to grunt it out a little bit (Cotto).

Wish he'd talk a bit less out of the ring.

Good referees shouldn't be that visible or that audible - unless required. That goes for outside the ring as well.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 23 Mar 2012, 6:39 pm

He ain't go shee-it on Kenny "Baywatch" Bayliss
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 23 Mar 2012, 8:08 pm

Bayliss, Ortega and Smoger are the best around by a clear distance at the moment, thought he called the Khan/Malignaggi stoppage perfectly.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

Rather have a referee that let's a fight go on too long than one that stops a contest early!!!

Joey Curtis on the art of refereeing would be fun....

How to stop a fight early and cause a riot Weaver-Dokes.......and how to let it go on a la Crawley-Bramble and nearly have the guy killed....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

Think add Tony Weeks and then you have Tony Weeks, Kenny Bayliss, Mike Ortega and Steve Smoger, oh my God we have a Fab Four of Referees!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

Laurence Cole isn't bad either by the way.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down