The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal's last interview.....

+9
Mad for Chelsea
laverfan
break_in_the_fifth
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
socal1976
noleisthebest
time please
Tenez
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nadal's last interview..... Empty Nadal's last interview.....

Post by Tenez Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Nadal-pas-de-sportif-dope/266557

Nadal: "No Athlete dope".
In an interview with Spanish state television RTVE, Rafael Nadal explained why he believed there was no doping in elite sport. "I think that there is no top athlete doping, because the regime of drug testing is inhumane, he says. I must say where I am every day of the year. I have to give an hour a day of my time teams doping. I am the first to want a clean sport, controls, but I can not agree with the form. That seems unfair. "

Thanks Nadal for clarifying the situation. I was not too sure.

(PS..please note it si Nadal talking about it and not me). I am just translating what I find amusing comments.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Nadal's last interview..... Empty Re: Nadal's last interview.....

Post by time please Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

I think Rafa really needs to consider that, irritating though it may be, to make an hour a day available for random testing is a small price to pay for a clean sport, and it is not such a hardship when set against the very great rewards that the top players earn in prize money, appearance fees and sponsorship. He has been very outspoken about this issue now on several occasions and I don't know if we lesser beings are supposed to feel that he is being hard done by - it's extraordinary.

Suck it up Rafa - a top class career doesn't last forever and then these petty irritations will be a thing of the past - your fortune, however, is made for ever!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:44 pm

I'e never heard anyone else moan about being tested.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:45 pm

An hour a day doping seems fair dinkums.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:46 pm

Nore Staat wrote:An hour a day doping seems fair dinkums.

Laugh ......whatever you're having Nore, don't be mean......share Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:48 pm

Oh wait I thought the ITF did nothing about doping, wasn't that the bag that was sold to us last week and the week before. I thought that he was convincted of doping by the Tenez and Veejay? I guess testing them every single day is just not enough and equates to abdicating their duty to regulate the sport. They need to test Nadal every hour of the day until he final gives a dirty test for anything. Too many poppy seed muffins and bagels Rafa, sorry you have to give all your trophies back to Roger.

And Nitb, Andy recently moaned about having to wait an extra hour to get tested after his semi with Novak at the AO. That is just for the record.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:49 pm

Oh no!

Nadal should really be careful trusting Tenez with a translation and then asking him to pick out the bits that he finds amusing. And then if that isn't taking trust to a whole new level asking him to post it here on 606v2 to see what noleisthebest thinks...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:49 pm

socal1976 wrote:Oh wait I thought the ITF did nothing about doping, wasn't that the bag that was sold to us last week and the week before. I thought that he was convincted of doping by the Tenez and Veejay? I guess testing them every single day is just not enough and equates to abdicating their duty to regulate the sport. They need to test Nadal every hour of the day until he final gives a dirty test for anything. Too many poppy seed muffins and bagels Rafa, sorry you have to give all your trophies back to Roger.

And Nitb, Andy recently moaned about having to wait an extra hour to get tested after his semi with Novak at the AO. That is just for the record.

that's two moaners, then

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 27 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

No player is tested every day - they have to inform the various bodies of where they will be for an hour every day in case a random test is carried out - just to clarify!

I think most top players probably face under ten tests a year?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:01 pm

I'm devising a remote sensing drug testing instrument that will be fairer on the athlete. Say goodbye to urine and blood samples taken early on Sunday mornings. One zap from the Nore Staat Mega Laser through the window of the shower room will be all that would be required.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:04 pm

time please wrote:I think Rafa really needs to consider that, irritating though it may be, to make an hour a day available for random testing is a small price to pay for a clean sport, and it is not such a hardship when set against the very great rewards that the top players earn in prize money, appearance fees and sponsorship. He has been very outspoken about this issue now on several occasions and I don't know if we lesser beings are supposed to feel that he is being hard done by - it's extraordinary.

Suck it up Rafa - a top class career doesn't last forever and then these petty irritations will be a thing of the past - your fortune, however, is made for ever!

The funny thing is that despite his complaint, He wants to make us believe that he is constantly tested but the reality is they are only tested once or twice a year outside competition. Which is a joke really. Well that was true in the previous years. I believe they are going to test more in 2012....I guess that;s why he is complaining again.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:05 pm

Ten random tests a year sounds about sufficient to me timeplease.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:07 pm

I didn't say it wasn't sufficient socal (in fact it is less) - I am not complaining, just commenting on a player's grievance in a topical interview OK

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:09 pm

THose who can read French shoudl read the comments of the article on L'equipe. They are quite funny. According to the comments...9 out of 10 posters don't take Nadal's comments seriously.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:18 pm

time please wrote:I didn't say it wasn't sufficient socal (in fact it is less) - I am not complaining, just commenting on a player's grievance in a topical interview Nadal's last interview..... 3610695981

The only reason I mentioned it is because if you were on this site regularly 1 and 2 weeks ago the picture that was painted for us was an ITF that had competely and totally abdicated responsibility on doping and was actually part of a cover up to allow the players to keep doping. I am just pointing out that this translation as provided by Tenez doesn't seem to jive with the picture painted for us on this thread last week.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:24 pm

I did read some of those threads before they were pulled. I am not going to comment on that because I think the subject has been exhausted and I am not, with my contribution here, suspecting any athlete of taking peds.

I reiterate - I am commenting on an interview. It is a complaint that Rafa has made at least twice a year for goodness knows how long - and I think he should suck it up personally. It is not so bad to have to say 'ok today I am in Hotel X between 7am and 8am' - not terrible set against having a wonderful talent, a great career and incredible riches!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:26 pm

i agree timeplease, they need to be monitored for the integrity of the sport.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

socal1976 wrote:i agree timeplease, they need to be monitored for the integrity of the sport.
I'd test them once a week.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
socal1976 wrote:i agree timeplease, they need to be monitored for the integrity of the sport.
Reckon you would be testing Djokovic twice a day if you had your way Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:19 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
Reckon you would be testing Djokovic twice a day if you had your way Wink

OK, you got me there.... laughing

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:45 pm

The contrast I like is between Nadal and the Director fo WADA.

Nadal: "No top athlete dope. It;s impossible."

John Fahey (WADA): " I estimate that at least 10% of athletes dope and those who are hard to catch are at the top!"

Who knows better?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:50 pm

Wrong translation Tenez.
This is what he said:

I do not know if we have a problem with doping. I'm not aware of these issues. I can tell you what I know. I do not think we have a problem with doping in Spain. The problem exists throughout the world because there are always people willing to cheat. I think there are elite athletes who doped, the doping control regime which is a brutality. I have to say where I'll be every day of the year, I have to set aside an hour every day for the people of doping. I am the first who wants a clean sport, controls, but forms I can not agree. I seem unfair, "he says.

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20120227/rafa-nadal/501857.shtml

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

Nadal and DJokovic were both really fresh at the end of the AO final (surprisingly Djokovic more so) yes they are both clean athletes, anyone who suggests different is French or a Fed fan!!!

(sarcasm included)

Last edited by Josiah Maiestas on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

Zut alors et sacre bleu!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:40 pm

Y I Man wrote:Wrong translation Tenez.
This is what he said:

I do not know if we have a problem with doping. I'm not aware of these issues. I can tell you what I know. I do not think we have a problem with doping in Spain. The problem exists throughout the world because there are always people willing to cheat. I think there are elite athletes who doped, the doping control regime which is a brutality. I have to say where I'll be every day of the year, I have to set aside an hour every day for the people of doping. I am the first who wants a clean sport, controls, but forms I can not agree. I seem unfair, "he says.

YOur link says the same thing.."Creo que no hay deportistas de élite que estén dopados, por el régimen de controles doping que es una brutalidad."

HOw did you translate it? I can speak spanish and I can guarantee you that the translation is correct.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:43 pm

I used google translate.
http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|Creo%20que%20no%20hay%20deportistas%20de%20%C3%A9lite%20que%20est%C3%A9n%20dopados%2C%20por%20el%20r%C3%A9gimen%20de%20controles%20doping%20que%20es%20una%20brutalidad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:45 pm

It's usually pretty good. I used it to translate the french version....cause it's much faster than me.

If you ask for the same translation without the "NO" you get to the same result, so clearly there is a glitch here with the translation. There is "hay" and "no hay" There isn't.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 27 Feb 2012, 9:56 pm

Y I Man wrote:Wrong translation Tenez.
This is what he said:

Ha ha! Isn't it great Tenez that Nadal speaks Spanish and Catalan and anyone can loosely translate what he says and/or mock the fact that English isn't his first language.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm

? Que? Nadal doesn't even speak Spanish properly now?

Are you saying that what he says in his own language is not what he means?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

Nadal's alright...

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

Since WTF carries out Urinalysis (the Blood tests are once a year as per WADA/ITF statistics), I would suggest every Tennis player's house and favourite hotel's sewage system be connected to the ITF Labs and they can do random tests without ever disturbing anyone. Laugh

Last edited by laverfan on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

disappointed in Nadal's comments here. Players have a duty to the sport, and that includes making the effort to keep it as clean as possible. Giving your whereabouts one hour a day doesn't seem particularly "unfair" or "inhumane" to me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:02 pm

I speak Spanish. Tenez translation is correct.

He says that there are always people who will try and cheat, but no elite sportsman are doping. He also believes that the problem with doping is a worldwide issue, not a particular one with Spain.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm

If I were a clean sportsman I would be calling for more doping tests. If you're clean more tests should be in your interest.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm

the trouble with this is that we don't really know the context of the answers (or do we? I'd appreciate it if someone did). There's no way a leading athlete like Nadal could/should say "yes they're loads of cheats but we haven't caught them" IMO, but saying that "no one cheats" comes accross as pretty naive.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:36 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:.... but saying that "no one cheats" comes accross as pretty naive.

I read it more like an insult to our intelligence.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm

This was a relaxed 40-minute TV studio interview with Spanish TV
From about 19 minutes. She is talking about first Rafa's reception at the French Open and he says positive things about that. He says that simply the French would like a change and someone different, perhaps one of their own, winning in France.
She then shifts tack slightly, saying (19:40) something like "we are now viewing an image of cycling, and I ask you about doping". Doping exists in sport, she adds, and perhaps says something like "it would be absurd to deny it" and she asks, "do we have a problem in Spain?" He says (~19.50) "I don't know. I can't tell you because to tell you the truth I don't know because I am not very informed about those topics. I can talk about what I know..I think no.. I think we don't have a problem in Spain. I think doping exists in Spain, France, in any/all place in the world, in any/every country doping exists..there are always people ready to cheat..that's the reality..(one) thing I am sure about is that there is no elite sportsman that is competing that is doped.. that is not possible today ". She then (~20.30) says "Why?" He replies "Because we have a brutal antidoping control regime. I have to say 365 days of the year where I will be. I have to reserve one hour of these 365 days of the year for the antidoping control people..one hour." He goes on to give an example that if he wants to stay over at a friend's house in a different city he has a problem because he has his antidoping hour at 7-8am the next day He says he would have had to advise the doping control people that he changed place. He says at what moment (assuming a night out or dinner with friends) would he be thinking about that? (Implying that it isn't normal to be out drinking with friends thinking about these kinds of issues.) He then says something that happens if you miss 3, maybe "sancion"? meaning ban. He discusses that this is negative in terms of privacy. He says this can't be right what happens to us. He says he is the first to want a clean sport and want antidoping controls but can't agree with the way it is done because it seems unjust.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:57 pm

They then go on to talk about French joke videos. Referring to a video, presumably the one French TV did about him, he says that this worried him and he did not like it.

He then says that he has relationships with people in San Sebastian (this is related to the tax issue) for many years. This he seems to be implying means this wasn't just a sudden tax evasion thing although he admits he did this for fiscal reasons. He says the published information on how very little tax he pays is very different to the reality.

He carries on about this for a while, fairly unconvincingly at times, although does make the point that he has paid many millions in tax (presumably over many years).

I got bored of this so skipped forward a few minutes. Now he's talking about how 2007 Wimbledon defeat and crying really helped him win 2008 Wimbledon and says this was the dream of his life to win this.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:38 pm

yeah, "crying" helped him win. In other news Nadal has decided to play with 1 handed backhand. Wink

Last edited by Josiah Maiestas on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:44 pm

Henman bill wrote:He discusses that this is negative in terms of privacy. He says this can't be right what happens to us. He says he is the first to want a clean sport and want antidoping controls but can't agree with the way it is done because it seems unjust.

Did he have give any indication about what kind of testing/anti doping control he thinks would be acceptable?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

Henman Bill wrote:"Because we have a brutal antidoping control regime. I have to say 365 days of the year where I will be. I have to reserve one hour of these 365 days of the year for the antidoping control people..one hour."

Is he confusing the 'Whereabouts" rule with Anti-doping?

Henman Bill wrote:He goes on to give an example that if he wants to stay over at a friend's house in a different city he has a problem because he has his antidoping hour at 7-8am the next day He says he would have had to advise the doping control people that he changed place. He says at what moment (assuming a night out or dinner with friends) would he be thinking about that? (Implying that it isn't normal to be out drinking with friends thinking about these kinds of issues.)

The anti-doping is supposedly (and meant to be) unpredictable, but he knows it is 7-8 am. Cool

Henman Bill wrote:He then says something that happens if you miss 3, maybe "sancion"? meaning ban.

This is not a new rule, and he has done it since 15, why has it becoming difficult at 25? Was he not tested being #2 in 2005 (7 years ago) (this is NOT an accusation)?

Henman Bill wrote:He discusses that this is negative in terms of privacy. He says this can't be right what happens to us.

I would echo TP's sentiments.

Henman Bill wrote:He says he is the first to want a clean sport and want antidoping controls but can't agree with the way it is done because it seems unjust.

This is what the governing body considers just and it accounts for privacy, by not publishing any player-specific results, unless such results break the rules, so why is it a 'privacy' issue?

There are hundreds of tennis players at the highest echelons who have been through the same regimen for several decades (and yes it has evolved over the years as medical technology and science has changed). If this regimen did not work and doping was rampant, then a change to 'fix' the issues would be one factor driving any such changes.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 29 Feb 2012, 7:52 am

laverfan wrote:This is what the governing body considers just and it accounts for privacy, by not publishing any player-specific results, unless such results break the rules, so why is it a 'privacy' issue?

In fact results can break the rule, they will still not be published. It's the ITF and not WADA who decides to release results. The reason for instance that someone like Odesnik gets caught is that the Australian custom him and the ITF has no control over the custom which can release names at will unlike WADA.

There are hundreds of tennis players at the highest echelons who have been through the same regimen for several decades (and yes it has evolved over the years as medical technology and science has changed). If this regimen did not work and doping was rampant, then a change to 'fix' the issues would be one factor driving any such changes.
Isn't this for all athletes and not tennis players only? All athletes under WADA...which I believe is most sports.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:06 am

laverfan wrote:...
Henman Bill wrote:He goes on to give an example that if he wants to stay over at a friend's house in a different city he has a problem because he has his antidoping hour at 7-8am the next day ...

The anti-doping is supposedly (and meant to be) unpredictable, but he knows it is 7-8 am. Cool

Henman Bill wrote:He then says something that happens if you miss 3, maybe "sancion"? meaning ban.
This is not a new rule, and he has done it since 15, why has it becoming difficult at 25? Was he not tested being #2 in 2005 (7 years ago) (this is NOT an accusation)?

He is older now. Indeed, he could be making love at a swingers party when that fateful loud knocking at the door occurs. [add appropriate smiley here].

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:18 am

A British Olymoic female athlete said recently that a testing official (female) would accompany her to the cubicle and watch her urinate, to ensure there was no duplicity. She just accepted this as an uncomfortable necessity.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:46 am

Nore Staat

Ha ha exactly. It's not as if he's an old married man with a couple of kids (twins... ) to keep him tied down.

JuliusHMarx

I bet she moaned or complained about it to someone but we didn't get to hear about it. I know I would! What's wrong with saying how you feel. If only a non invasive way of testing could be developed. Was it Nore Staat that had a good idea about this?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:53 am

Well he has a straightforward choice - either deal with it, or if it is ruining his day to that extent, consider changing his day job.

What a prima donna Rafa is becoming!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:03 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:A British Olymoic female athlete said recently that a testing official (female) would accompany her to the cubicle and watch her urinate, to ensure there was no duplicity. She just accepted this as an uncomfortable necessity.
It can't be pleasant for both when she has to provide a stool sample.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:A British Olymoic female athlete said recently that a testing official (female) would accompany her to the cubicle and watch her urinate, to ensure there was no duplicity. She just accepted this as an uncomfortable necessity.
There's also the issue of age, especially in the swimming and gymnastics. I suppose human rights and dignity for children as well as young adults is waived under these circumstances.

There is also the issue of religious beliefs. This would probably be a step too far for muslim women for instance.

http://jezebel.com/5513590/sexual-abuse-and-molestation-scandal-rocks-usa-swimming
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/3300493/Swimming-chiefs-investigate-20-claims-of-abuse.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:01 pm

socal1976 wrote:Oh wait I thought the ITF did nothing about doping, wasn't that the bag that was sold to us last week and the week before. I thought that he was convincted of doping by the Tenez and Veejay? I guess testing them every single day is just not enough and equates to abdicating their duty to regulate the sport. They need to test Nadal every hour of the day until he final gives a dirty test for anything. Too many poppy seed muffins and bagels Rafa, sorry you have to give all your trophies back to Roger.

He isn't tested every day, he's just whining.

Where's the doh button?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

It's as much a measure of what some athletes will do to cheat as it is of anything else. Wasn't it Michelle de Bruin who was suspected of having put a condom filled with something up there in order to cheat the urine test?

If the cheats are playing funny tricks with condoms or other containers when they are urinating, then all athletes need to be tested in a way to avoid those tricks working. It's not the testers that athletes should be moaning at, but their competitors.

I often wonder if they know in their heart of hearts who are, or are likely, to be cheating but say nothing, whether out of timidity or omerta. If that's what happens and it's omerta one possible answer to this whining is for competitors to be far tougher about 'outing' or at least ostracising those legitimately suspected.

I think that one part of the trouble is that money talks - nobody wants to imagine what the fallout might be like if the full extent of what was going on were revealed. For an athlete it might strip the sport of sponsorship during their peak earning period. Less selfishly - they might be ruining the livelihoods of lots of people in adminstration or coaching who are blameless and have helped the player but who would suffer a pinch if less money came into the sport. Furthermore, and perhaps more legitimately, it is dubious whether a 'once-in-a-lifetime' bust would truly work cathartically and really clean a sport up for good, or merely be a temporary blip. That is a calculation to be made when deciding whether to dump ordure on your own sport when other sports are being more laissez-faire. Cycling may be cleaner after the Festina affair, but nobody suggests that it is 100% dope-free now.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next