The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Ten Heavyweight Chins of all time

+16
rapidringsroad
Bob
J.Benson II
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
eddyfightfan
TRUSSMAN66
D4thincarnation
azania
oxring
Imperial Ghosty
Rowley
Union Cane
samevans1
HumanWindmill
Scottrf
manos de piedra
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Top Ten Heavyweight Chins of all time Empty Top Ten Heavyweight Chins of all time

Post by manos de piedra Thu 24 Mar 2011, 4:36 pm

As the title suggests, a list of the ten best hevyweight chins I could think of.

1. George Chuvalo
2. Evander Holyfield:
3. Ray Mercer
4. Vitali Klitschko
5. Muhammad Ali
6. Tex Cobb
7. George Foreman
8. Rocky Marciano
9. Jim Jeffries
10. Oscar Bonavena

Anyone I have missed out on that should be in there?

On a side note, I thought I would give an honourable mention to Marion Wilson (12-41). He was something of a punchbag on the heavyweight scene but while his record is hardly impressive, his chin sure is. He has only been stopped once (on a cut) in his career and thats having faced such established fighters as: McCall, Mercer, Witherspoon, Briggs, Peter, Rahman, Maskaev, Ibeabuchi, Golota, Donald, Botha. I dont think he won any of these fights, but it includes some big hitters in there so for someone of his limited ability to go the distance every time is pretty impressive. I was tempted to include him on the list but since Ive never seen him fight I though I would give him an honourable mention instead.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Heavyweight Chins of all time Empty Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Chins of all time

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

Oliver McCall

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Heavyweight Chins of all time Empty Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Chins of all time

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 4:42 pm

Can't remember whether or not Joe Grim was a bonafide heavyweight, but he certainly fought some good ones and his chin is the stuff of fairy tales.

Would find a place for Tom Sharkey, also.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

Oliver McCall has to be pretty much top. Lennox Lewis was whacking away when he was defenseless and didn't make a dent. He also took numerous huge shots over the years.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 24 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

McCall is a good shout to make the list but I wouldnt have top. He would probably in 6-10 bracket maybe edging out one of those fighters.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

McCall has never been down though, in a very long career. His chin is absolute granite.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:05 pm

Chuvalo never went down, and was in with a lot more quality fighters than McCall.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:07 pm

Sonny Liston would be another for consideration.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:18 pm

Jess Willard may be one worthy of consideration. Aside from the Dempsey fight he always displayed a decent set of whiskers, and being bowled over by a near prime Dempsey is no disgrace. Wouldn't like to say who he displaces though. Agree with those calling for McCall to find a place.

Another guy worth a shout is Tua, realise he was over recently but think that is more an age thing, at his peak went in with decent guys like Lewis and Ike and always looked pretty sturdy

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:18 pm

Would have to find a place for McCall in the top and would see Bonavena drop out of it, other than that agree with the names but necessarily the order.

1. Chuvalo
2. Ali
3. Jeffries
4. McCall
5. Marciano
6. Holyfield
7. Mercer
8. Cobb
9. Foreman
10. Klitschko

Basing it more on opposition faced than anything, while Vitali may be harder to knock out than some of the others, he's never been in with that many proven KO punchers unlike the others. Chuvalo being top is nailed on for me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:23 pm

Sailor Tom Sharkey Windy? Bob Fitz might dispute that - although Bob's punch was one of the hardest of all time. And considering the volume Sharkey was hit with - he wasn't stopped much.

Johnson should be thrown in there - famous for laughing at peoples best shots - although it should be remembered that he wasn't often caught clean
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:30 pm

oxring wrote:Sailor Tom Sharkey Windy? Bob Fitz might dispute that - although Bob's punch was one of the hardest of all time. And considering the volume Sharkey was hit with - he wasn't stopped much.

Johnson should be thrown in there - famous for laughing at peoples best shots - although it should be remembered that he wasn't often caught clean

Fair point about Sharkey and Fitz, oxy. Guess I was giving Sharkey a bit too much credit for his two heroic stands against Jeffries, and on second thoughts I believe you're right.

I'd still reckon that Liston should be there, though.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:31 pm

Yes McCall was a glaring ommission. He should be in there alright on reflection.

Placing them is difficult and there are good arguments either way. Marciano was never stopped for instance but he was dropped by two guys that could be considered small heavyweights above their best weights. How does this compare with with someone like Klitschko for instance who is in with less skilled heavyweights, but ones that are bigger and arguable hit harder?

Ali is another tough one to place. Hes been down probably more times than anyone else on the list but has faced the best competion and some murderous punchers.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

Ali was only put down 4/5 times though wasn't he I believe and considering the guys he was facing the fact he was never stopped (Holmes aside) is pretty damm impressive/

Marciano is a difficult one like you said was dropped by two relatively small guys in Walcott and Moore but they still both packed a considerable wallop, when you've only ever gone 6 rounds with someone of quality it's quite hard to judge how good their chin really is. Much harder to survive against a lighter punching skilled boxer than a KO artist with little skill i'd say.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:41 pm

I wouldn't put Holy in that list. The man got KO'd by Bowe, got near on dropped and out on his feet by Bert Cooper. I'm sure he's been decked a few times also.

McCall and Chuvalo by a distance imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:42 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Ali was only put down 4/5 times though wasn't he I believe and considering the guys he was facing the fact he was never stopped (Holmes aside) is pretty damm impressive/

Marciano is a difficult one like you said was dropped by two relatively small guys in Walcott and Moore but they still both packed a considerable wallop, when you've only ever gone 6 rounds with someone of quality it's quite hard to judge how good their chin really is. Much harder to survive against a lighter punching skilled boxer than a KO artist with little skill i'd say.

If a heavyweight gets decked by a light heavy, it doesn't say much for his chin. I mean Bob Foster hit Frazier with very good punches and they just bounced off him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:45 pm

Riddick Bowe had a very good chin. Never decked I believe.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:45 pm

We're not just talking about an ordinary Light Heavyweight in Moore punching wise, even at Heavyweight he knocked guys out for fun. Ali got decked by Cooper does that make his chin weak?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:46 pm

imperialghosty wrote:We're not just talking about an ordinary Light Heavyweight in Moore punching wise, even at Heavyweight he knocked guys out for fun. Ali got decked by Cooper does that make his chin weak?

Cooper was not a lightheavy. Plus Ali never had the strongest chin anyway. He had great recuperative powers. I couldn't see a LightHeavy decking Ali.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:50 pm

Cooper was not much more than a Light Heavyweight, in fact he weighed less than Moore did during his Heavyweight fights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Cooper was not much more than a Light Heavyweight, in fact he weighed less than Moore did during his Heavyweight fights.

Probably so. As I have said, Ali didn't have the strongest chin anyway. His recuperative powers are what seperates him from the pack (amongst other skills he had).

But Rocky was supposed to be this superman who could take a beating all night without buckling and land his goodnight Suzy Q.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:18 pm

Well considering he was down for a combined 4 seconds during his career, one thing you can't say about Marciano is that he ever buckled. I realise your not going to be objective about any boxer pre Ali but we don't need it brought up every time it gets mentioned.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:21 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Well considering he was down for a combined 4 seconds during his career, one thing you can't say about Marciano is that he ever buckled. I realise your not going to be objective about any boxer pre Ali but we don't need it brought up every time it gets mentioned.

He fought tomato cans most of the time. Also I did say Chuvalo had a cast iron chin. Took forman's best without going down. Actually he took a hell of a beating against foreman and didn't go down.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:23 pm

And he was azania!

Good grief - have you seen the amount of punishment he took in some of his fights?

It isn't that he wasn't stopped - he wasn't even slowed! He was still coming on as fast in the 13th as the 1st in his first fight with Walcott - and he landed the hardest KO of all time.

The recuperative powers of Marciano were awesome. Furthermore - most of the time that he was dropped - he was off-balance - rather than being decked due to instability. Look at the first round with Walcott1 - He was put down (off a left hand if I remember rightly) whilst leaning off balance. Within a count of 2 - he was up and looking for Walcott again.

He didn't buckle under punches.

I know you've got form where anti-Marciano is concerned - but you're being ridiculous. Especially if you say he fought just "tomato-cans" - given that Bert Sugar rates Ezzy Charles as his 5th best HW champ of all time, Jersey Joe x2, Moore are not "tomato cans"
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:27 pm

oxring wrote:And he was azania!

Good grief - have you seen the amount of punishment he took in some of his fights?

It isn't that he wasn't stopped - he wasn't even slowed! He was still coming on as fast in the 13th as the 1st in his first fight with Walcott - and he landed the hardest KO of all time.

The recuperative powers of Marciano were awesome. Furthermore - most of the time that he was dropped - he was off-balance - rather than being decked due to instability. Look at the first round with Walcott1 - He was put down (off a left hand if I remember rightly) whilst leaning off balance. Within a count of 2 - he was up and looking for Walcott again.

I know you've got form where anti-Marciano is concerned - but you're being ridiculous. Especially if you say he fought just "tomato-cans" - given that Bert Sugar rates Ezzy Charles as his 5th best HW champ of all time, Jersey Joe x2, Moore are not "tomato cans"

They are basically lightheavies. Moreover I often disagree with Bert Sugar. He claims Rocky didn't have any decent opponents, yet rates him so highly on the basis of beating old men and old lightheavies. Larry Holmes was absolutely correct about Rocky. Guys like Chuvalo, Quarry, Ellis would probably given him a good argument and chuvalo had the beating of him imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:30 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Sonny Liston would be another for consideration.

Ali put him down in a round.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:31 pm

azania wrote:Riddick Bowe had a very good chin. Never decked I believe.

Lewis had him wobbling all over the in the Olympics.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:31 pm

Holy got decked off Cruiserweight Cooper!!

Cobb took the divisions best..Foreman should be on there as should John L sullivan.............

Marciano decked off little Archie Moore!!

1. Chuvalo
2. Cobb
3. Jeffries
4. Ali
5. Bonavena

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:33 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:Riddick Bowe had a very good chin. Never decked I believe.

Lewis had him wobbling all over the in the Olympics.

Thats the olympics. When fully trained as a pro he never went down. And he took some thunderous shots from Golota, Holy and many others.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:35 pm

azania,

You and I have locked horns over Marciano several times, now. Fair enough that you don't rate him - that's a matter of opinion - but I'm seriously thinking of asking the admins to set up a ' sticky ' with the proof that Marciano's rep as champion holds up to almost anybody's, with the obvious exception of Ali's. Jeffries might edge him, and I could make a case for Dempsey's opponents, but Rocky's hold up to just about everybody else's and are a darned sight better than most.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:36 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Sonny Liston would be another for consideration.

Ali put him down in a round.

You believe that, do you ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:38 pm

That's a pretty sweeping statement considering Walcott boxed his backside off for 12 1/2 rounds....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:39 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:azania,

You and I have locked horns over Marciano several times, now. Fair enough that you don't rate him - that's a matter of opinion - but I'm seriously thinking of asking the admins to set up a ' sticky ' with the proof that Marciano's rep as champion holds up to almost anybody's, with the obvious exception of Ali's. Jeffries might edge him, and I could make a case for Dempsey's opponents, but Rocky's hold up to just about everybody else's and are a darned sight better than most.

That would be good. As for the toughness of Jeffries, I've read about him. Unfortunately my opinions of him are tainted due to Jack London's call. Yep, I am 100% biased. But once again, old timers (modern for you obviously) trained on whiskey and bear. It was more of a bar-room brawl where punches were't thrown correctly. Just eyes closed and flayle away.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:39 pm

oxring wrote:I know you've got form where anti-Marciano is concerned - but you're being ridiculous. Especially if you say he fought just "tomato-cans" - given that Bert Sugar rates Ezzy Charles as his 5th best HW champ of all time, Jersey Joe x2, Moore are not "tomato cans"
Bert Sugar also says that Pep won a round without throwing a punch, and that Dempsey broke Willard's jaw, and believes that the ref was wrong for the 'long count' in Tunney vs Dempsey. In short, may be a decent enough writer, but a poor historian, and I don't think much of him as an analyst.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:39 pm

Only if Lamotta was knocked out by Billy Fox windy

I'm not sure whats worse the blatent disregard for the old timers or the Pacquiao/Mayweather debacle to be honest

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:40 pm

oxring wrote:And he was azania!

Charles was a light heavy who was probably older than Windy when he fought Rocky.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:42 pm

I think oldtimers need pegging back a bit and a disregard is a healthy thing....

Everybody knows a guy who has the combined skill of Ali and Robbo and remains undefeated for twenty years has no chance of ever being p4p number 1.....

Because it's the way it works.....

Everything was better back in those days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:That's a pretty sweeping statement considering Walcott boxed his backside off for 12 1/2 rounds....

Not sure to whom that's addressed, Truss, but I'll run with it. Walcott DIDN'T box Marciano's ears off for twelve and a half rounds. No doubt whatever that Jersey Joe was ahead, but Rocky had had his moments during the fight, also, and anybody who has seen the whole fight knows that the warning signs were there a few times before Rocky dropped him.

Nobody in his right mind would expect Rocky to outbox a stylist like Jersey Joe, but he got the job done all the same.

Hope Mrs Truss is doing fine.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:44 pm

Charles was 2 years older than Marciano, hardly a huge difference

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm

azania wrote:Charles was a light heavy who was probably older than Windy when he fought Rocky.

Charles was two years older than Marciano.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm

Don't forget Charles and Walcott had worn eachother out by the time they fought Marciano...Cockell was a basic light heavy and in fairness so was Moore....

Marciano ruled at a good time..

Best win was Lastarza in my opnion..

Still in my top 7 though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:46 pm

Apologies Manos, a shame to see a decent article descend into the usual for the millionth time

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think oldtimers need pegging back a bit and a disregard is a healthy thing....

Everybody knows a guy who has the combined skill of Ali and Robbo and remains undefeated for twenty years has no chance of ever being p4p number 1.....

Because it's the way it works.....

Everything was better back in those days..

Training with Jack Daniel always helped.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:47 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Apologies Manos, a shame to see a decent article descend into the usual for the millionth time

Likewise.

I'll pull out so that we can get back on topic.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

azania wrote:Training with Jack Daniel always helped.

He was a good trainer. Very spirited.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

Given that Marciano himself weighed 185 and was outweighed in Charles II and both Walcott fights - seems a bit rich to criticise him for fighting "light heavies". He was the smaller man half the time.

Holmes was bitter he couldn't beat the record. Tough.

Sugar has followed most boxing fights of the last 50 years. He also has the Pep fight correct - stating that he won the round without landing a punch - which is concordant with what I've read elsewhere. The ref WAS wrong in the long count - but he was wrong in the way he handled it - not in the result - the fight shouldn't have gone to Dempsey.

And the argument "old timers fought on whiskey and bear [sic]" is ludicrous given that Marciano, Sullivan both trained harder and probably better than current superstars.

Ever see Marciano slow or stop by the 15th? Sullivan fought even longer.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:50 pm

"I'll pull out"...Pity I didn't a few months ago....My life wouldn't be a mess.

However do get a little peed off by the bias to oldtimers on here.....

Sorry If I've upset any sensitive souls..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:51 pm

Pep has admitted he threw and landed punches in that round, and there's no mention of a round he won without throwing a punch in the newspapers, it's a 100% myth.

The referee wasn't wrong, he picked up the count once Dempsey got to a neutral corner.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:51 pm

It is bang on topic. Rock's chin was over-rated (much like everything else about his boxing). If you are fighting tomato cans, washed up champions, lightheavies, you are bound to look good if you are half decent heavy. Make no mistake, Rock was good....for his time. His time was full of no-bodies. 10 years earlier, he wouldn't have had a look in. 10 years post ditto.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
imperialghosty wrote:Apologies Manos, a shame to see a decent article descend into the usual for the millionth time

Likewise.

I'll pull out so that we can get back on topic.

I'm sick to death of it now, it's a shame we can't mention any old time boxer without this happening

Holmes seems to be a notable absentee in this list as well, surely worthy of a mention as would be Paulino Uzcudun

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next