The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sean Holley set to leave the Ospreys

+10
ScarletSpiderman
Shifty
MonkeyOwain12
BridgendBoyo
gowales
TBJ9625
Breadvan
Impossible Standards
Artful_Dodger
bedfordwelsh
14 posters

Go down

Sean Holley set to leave the Ospreys Empty Sean Holley set to leave the Ospreys

Post by Guest Tue 14 Feb - 9:05

BBC news are saying Holley will leave by the end of the season, personally i find it great news, he seemed happy with mediocrity and in awe of the International players around him.
I think the Ospreys should bring in a top coach with a young promising one from the Welsh Prem to work under him.

What you guys reckon?

Back to top Go down

Sean Holley set to leave the Ospreys Empty Re: Sean Holley set to leave the Ospreys

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Feb - 9:24

About friggin time, who comes though.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Sean Holley set to leave the Ospreys Empty Re: Sean Holley set to leave the Ospreys

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 14 Feb - 9:31

Can see a few Ospreys fans breaking out the bubbly.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Feb - 9:44

I guess a lot of names will be linked with this now but who is currently out there at the moment?

I think Deano would be good own there and for him personally its a way back into rugby outside of England.

If they look at bringing in a young Welsh coach under the guidance of someone else then the Chief would be a good shout.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 14 Feb - 10:06

Can you afford to bring in a quality replacement. I thought all the regions were meant to be skint?
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 14 Feb - 10:30

Leaving with immediate effect view! Maybe the guy they've lined up as head coach/team managerwhatever has said he wants his own staff in?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 14 Feb - 12:14

Best news I've heard all day. Lets just hope it's true!!! WHat we need is a straight talking coach that get the best out of the experienced guys and develope the youngsters coming through. I do like Andrew Hore, I think he has done some really good things for the region but I think he will have to go too. 1 - no real decent head coach will want to report into a EPD, 2 - it frees up his salary. With Johnson, Holley, Bowe and all the other 'superstars' gone that must save us a shed full of money?
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 14 Feb - 12:15

John Kirwan, Dean Richards, Eddie O'Sullivan... Anyone but Holley and Humphries please!
I actually would have liked Johnson to stay on as a Development/Academy guy. He ain't a good coach but what he is good at is spotting talent and bringing it through.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Tue 14 Feb - 12:21

It doesnt make sense to retain Humphries, when Holley and Johnson have gone. Surely anybody comiing in as head coach would want their own team. I can't see what Humphries has done which has set the world alight, time for a full clear out of all the deadwood

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 14 Feb - 12:33

all these years we've been pointing the finger at the wrong man? According to the Western Fail, it's Chris Holley who's leaving!!!!!
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Feb - 12:36

Humphries is the O's forwards coach, no?

For a few seasons now this has been the strongest part of the O's game so for me, it would make sense to keep him, as long as he just stuck to that, I wouldn't promote him up higher as a coach.

TBJ - ha! can't beat the Fail for a bit of a giggle.

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 14 Feb - 12:38

It could just be the players though. With the packs we've had in the past we should have been doing much better

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Feb - 12:42

You've always had problems around the 9-10-12 area though (at least that's how it's always appeared to me) so no matter how good your forwards are (and teh O's one are pretty darn good), you need those 3 positions to be working properly for you guys to make proper use of it. For me, I'm not sure that those three positions have been working well enough.

Improve there and the O's should finally be able to make the most of all the ball they get.

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 14 Feb - 12:46

Again, I have witnessed Humph conducting sessions with the O's team and have attended sessions he has done with the District set up. On all occasions he has seemed, switched on, prepared and knowledgable. (unlike Holley) I think he has helped develop the pack, but I think his biggest failure it the ability for any of our hookers developed under his tenour to be able to throw in straight!!!!!!
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Tue 14 Feb - 12:50

If your being asked to apply for the position of head coach, your going to have an idea of what personnel you want to take with you. Having an incumbent in one of the roles might be off putting.

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Feb - 12:54

ha but that seems to affect all the Welsh regions TBJ! Only Smiler throws in straight with any consistency, and even he can be a bit wobbly at times.

Humph should stay in my opinion. He's doing a good job it seems to me. Your main issue is getting a head coach that makes the right selection and is able to form an adaptable game plan. Neither Johnson or Holley seemed capable of it (case in point in your games v Saracens. They neutralised your pack and in both games the O's couldn't adapt).

There's plenty of positives for the O's to look at, and I think with Johnson and now possibly Holley going, it's the perfect time for a fresh start and to begin a new building process.

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 14 Feb - 13:00

rugbydreamer wrote:You've always had problems around the 9-10-12 area though (at least that's how it's always appeared to me) so no matter how good your forwards are (and teh O's one are pretty darn good), you need those 3 positions to be working properly for you guys to make proper use of it. For me, I'm not sure that those three positions have been working well enough.

Improve there and the O's should finally be able to make the most of all the ball they get.

Not really we had Phillips, Hook and Henson in their prime before. And our pack was basically the Welsh one. The pack lost us those big games in the past.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 14 Feb - 13:00

so how long before someone starts a pole on the who will come in??? Whistle

I've said it before, I's love to see Plumtree or Ruddock in there.
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 14 Feb - 13:01

Ruddock would never go back to Wales.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 14 Feb - 13:05

not while Sonny Parkers there Whistle
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 14 Feb - 13:07

Not while the Wru run welsh rugby censored

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 14 Feb - 13:08

lol yeah you probably got one!!!
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 14 Feb - 13:34

This is a bloody lovely V-day present!! It's been a long time coming that's for sure.

Very difficult about Humph, I think he's been pretty successful with the pack, but I do think that if you change, you completely change. A new DoR/Head Coach would surely want to appoint his own team?

I have to admit, I love the idea of Plumtree coming back down, those days on the Konica bank were amazing!! Would be good to get one or two promising Welsh coaches in too...Rayer, Chief etc

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Feb - 13:56

gowales wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:You've always had problems around the 9-10-12 area though (at least that's how it's always appeared to me) so no matter how good your forwards are (and teh O's one are pretty darn good), you need those 3 positions to be working properly for you guys to make proper use of it. For me, I'm not sure that those three positions have been working well enough.

Not really we had Phillips, Hook and Henson in their prime before. And our pack was basically the Welsh one. The pack lost us those big games in the past.

Well exactly, those three have sort of been your problem. Since the '09 Lions tour, Phillips had been off form, he only regained it at the RWC so you had almost two seasons with him not being great. Hook was never been an out and out 10 for you, he got shifted along between 10-13 to make room for Biggar/Henson. Then you had Henson who was injury prone and then buggered off.

There was no consistency there, and none of the players were all playing at their best at the same time. big problem area for the O's and it still is a bit to an extent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 14 Feb - 14:47

The strong rumours circulating in Bridgend is that our head coach and Ospreys employee Steve Tandy has left our club and gone to work in the Ospreys set up, with the view to taking up the director of coaching job at the end of the season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 14 Feb - 15:38

Alyn - If that is true then I guess it ticks two boxes. It should make the people of the Bridgend area feel a bit more linked to the region, and secondly Tandy seems to have the right sort of attitude (or from what I have seen) to hopefully keep egos grounded, and make folk a bit more honest and hard working as opposed to superstars.

Also i assume Humph would stay, as would Andy Lloyd if Tandy did take over as they give off a similar attitude to Tandy, and IMO would probably work pretty well together.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 14 Feb - 15:40

Why don't we get a good coach? Sad

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 14 Feb - 18:11

I thought Andy Lloyd was the club secretary not a coach, I have seen better looking secretaries!

I think Humph should stay as stated by others the forwards are not bad but let's get R Jones back at 6 or 8 as the back row have been poor this year.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 14 Feb - 18:19

Well this is very exciting news! I really hope it means that the changes coming will be positive ones. I do think Mr H. has overstayed his welcome, perhaps one or two others will follow shortly...?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 14 Feb - 18:52

This is like one of those urban myths that are too good to be true.

"The new Highlander film is out this year"..."Snickers is going to be called Marathon again"...."On your 14th birthday there's this nurse that comes to the school and..."

Bet he'll be there again next season.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Tue 14 Feb - 22:21

Finally an opening for Brendan Venter.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 15 Feb - 17:00

glamorganalun wrote:I thought Andy Lloyd was the club secretary not a coach, I have seen better looking secretaries!

Andy Lloyd is neither.. his job is to go to the away venues in advance of the Ospreys and check out the security and training facilities to make sure their suitableetc, he's more of an organiser than anything else.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Thu 16 Feb - 9:00

Wayne Smith could be available in September????
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Feb - 12:32

AlynDavies wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:I thought Andy Lloyd was the club secretary not a coach, I have seen better looking secretaries!

Andy Lloyd is neither.. his job is to go to the away venues in advance of the Ospreys and check out the security and training facilities to make sure their suitableetc, he's more of an organiser than anything else.

I thought he was team manager, more of a middle man between player and management.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 16 Feb - 18:57

AlynDavies wrote:

Sound like a secretary to me, I wonder if he is on minimum wage for that level of work? No wonder the Ospreys are trying to cut their wage bill employing ex players to do basic tasks, a school leaver could do such tasks and would probably be better using current technology.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down