The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand vs Zimbabwe, 3rd ODI, Napier

4 posters

Go down

New Zealand vs Zimbabwe, 3rd ODI, Napier Empty New Zealand vs Zimbabwe, 3rd ODI, Napier

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:21 am

It's the season for white-washes, and Zimbabwe's horror tour of New Zealand ended ignominously today as the Africans crashed to a 202 run loss in the 3rd ODI in Napier.

New Zealand 373 for 8 (McCullum 119, Guptill 85, Nicol 61) beat Zimbabwe 171 (Brendan Taylor 65) by 202 runs

Batting first, Martin Guptil and Rob Nicol put together a brutal 153 run opening stand in 22 overs to set another strong platform; before Brendon McCullum's 119 off 88 balls propelled the Black Caps to a score over 370 for the 2nd match running. In reply Zimbabwe again gave the chase away early and opted for batting practice, though only skipper Taylor managed to get past 30 as they collapsed to 171 all out in the 44th.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

New Zealand vs Zimbabwe, 3rd ODI, Napier Empty Re: New Zealand vs Zimbabwe, 3rd ODI, Napier

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:30 am

Brian Vitori managed the 2nd-equal most expensive figures in ODI history with his 1-105 off 9. The other bowlers to go for tons in ODIs are:
Michael Lewis (1-113 off 10 when SA chased down 434) and
Martin Sneddin (2-105 off 12 with 1 maiden! vs England at the Oval in 1983)
Tim Southee (0-105 off 10 vs India in Christchurch in 2009)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

New Zealand vs Zimbabwe, 3rd ODI, Napier Empty Re: New Zealand vs Zimbabwe, 3rd ODI, Napier

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:51 am

One thing is for certain, all Zimbabwe did was to get the New Zealand batsmen and bowlers into top form and high on confidence. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:00 am

I guess the only thing that we can get out of this heading in to the SA series is that our batsmen have rightfully picked up some runs in both the one off test and ODI’s. Although the Zim attack was pathetic you could argue that the NZ batters had to score big to have any chance against SA, least of all to maintain the confidence throughout the team from the win over Australia.

I still think we are a bit frail up top in the longer version of the game and it will be a tough ask to beat SA in a series, something we’ve never done before. However, I think we will take out the ODI’s

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

So much for the new Zimbabwe!

Looks like they tour about as well as India England

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:53 am

chewed_mintie wrote:I guess the only thing that we can get out of this heading in to the SA series is that our batsmen have rightfully picked up some runs in both the one off test and ODI’s. Although the Zim attack was pathetic you could argue that the NZ batters had to score big to have any chance against SA, least of all to maintain the confidence throughout the team from the win over Australia.

I still think we are a bit frail up top in the longer version of the game and it will be a tough ask to beat SA in a series, something we’ve never done before. However, I think we will take out the ODI’s

I was going to post something similar. We have a big mental block vs SA at test level, but ODIs in our own conditions are another story
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:27 pm

Yeah, our ODI team is in flux at the moment.

Dale Steyn isn't being used correctly, he seems to struggle with his rythm.

We have not yet settled on our middle order and we must have johan Botha if we want to play a spinner.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

biltongbek wrote:Yeah, our ODI team is in flux at the moment.

Dale Steyn isn't being used correctly, he seems to struggle with his rythm.

We have not yet settled on our middle order and we must have johan Botha if we want to play a spinner.

Biltong, New Zealanders are even worse at playing spin than the English are, so Botha might pick up a hatful Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

Might be true, but your wickets aren't really condusive to spin, are they?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

biltongbek wrote:Might be true, but your wickets aren't really condusive to spin, are they?

True. That's affected Dan Vettori's career a bit - he's so good at bowling on non-turning pitches he often struggles to take wickets when he's actually on a turner.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:34 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Might be true, but your wickets aren't really condusive to spin, are they?

True. That's affected Dan Vettori's career a bit - he's so good at bowling on non-turning pitches he often struggles to take wickets when he's actually on a turner.

Or when he is expected to win a game in the fourth innings......Eng v Nz at Manchester 2008 springs to mind!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

Yeah, i have always thought of him as a very accurate bowler, using pace variation more than spin. To be honest that is what Botha does very effectively, especially in limited overs cricket.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

sadly it appears that NZ are going backwards again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:sadly it appears that NZ are going backwards again.

Kiwireddevil wrote:
New Zealand 373 for 8 (McCullum 119, Guptill 85, Nicol 61) beat Zimbabwe 171 (Brendan Taylor 65) by 202 runs

Shocked

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:28 pm

huh?

We've won 3 of our past 4 tests (admittedly 2 v Zim) and we've a strong ODI lineup. We've had the best fast bowling stocks in donkey's years but you think we're going backwards?

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

You should put more emphasis on that OTHER win which if my memory serves me was against OZ. Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:33 pm

biltongbek wrote:You should put more emphasis on that OTHER win which if my memory serves me was against OZ. Ok!

Against OZ, in OZ thumbsup
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

SORRY I MEANT ZIM ARE GOING BACKWARDS

Sorry

kiwi can u look at the EPL thread and see my comment plz...

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

biltongbek wrote:You should put more emphasis on that OTHER win which if my memory serves me was against OZ. Ok!

Yes, yes.....India's recent demolishing only serves to show how impress the victory was.

Let us pray this group will convert potential into the long fabled second coming of NZ cricket. Fleming's mob from 1999-2007 promised so much and almost deliverd but this group really has a chance with so much depth (if a little raw) in the bowling attack

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:50 pm

sadly ZIM are going backwards, they do have some very good players, but there is no consistencey in their side with bat or ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

I'll tell you boys what, as soon as we have left NZ shores with the necessary test series win, I will direct all the positive Karma I can mustert towards the black caps Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

biltongbek wrote:I'll tell you boys what, as soon as we have left NZ shores with the necessary test series win, I will direct all the positive Karma I can mustert towards the black caps Wink

Hug

And we promise in return to direct positive Karma at the Proteas. You'll forgive us for merely refraining from sending negative Karma at the 'Boks though I trust Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:08 pm

What is more interesting is the fact that you will refrain from directing positive Karma towards the Boks.

What's up with that?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:32 am

biltongbek wrote:What is more interesting is the fact that you will refrain from directing positive Karma towards the Boks.

What's up with that?

Like kissing your sister!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:41 am

chewed_mintie wrote:
biltongbek wrote:What is more interesting is the fact that you will refrain from directing positive Karma towards the Boks.

What's up with that?

Like kissing your sister!
vomit
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:19 am

What's up with that?

Only because we have to play you a few times this year Hug

And I probably will be sending positive vibes occasionally (generally just before you play the Aussies Wink )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:05 am

I regret cheering for you lot in the RWC final. IF I reverted my positive Karma to France we may have had the opportunity to change Waiting for Webb ellis to 28 years insted of 24. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

For 28 years, we've been waiting for a chance
To win the Webb ellis, and get our second glance
of looking at Webb Ellis.

Damn, what a shame. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down