The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manu Tuilagi - Times Article

+16
englandglory4ever
Taffineastbourne
Triangulation
Chjw131
thomh
HammerofThunor
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
gnollbeast
lostinwales
bluestonevedder
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
dummy_half
beshocked
bedfordwelsh
killer938
20 posters

Go down

Manu Tuilagi - Times Article Empty Manu Tuilagi - Times Article

Post by killer938 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:42 am

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/rugbyunion/article3312690.ece

Manu Tuilagi will play for Leicester this weekend, having completed his recovery from a hamstring injury, raising the possibility of a return to the England side for the home game against Wales on February 25.
Tuilagi, who was England’s first-choice outside centre during the World Cup, suffered the injury playing for Leicester against Worcester Warriors six weeks ago, ruling him out of the first two games of the RBS Six Nations Championship, against Scotland last weekend and Italy on Saturday. But he will be included in Leicester’s squad for their Aviva Premiership game away to Exeter Chiefs in three days’ time.
“He’s ready to go,” Richard Cockerill, the Leicester director of rugby, said yesterday. “He’ll play some part for us, then against Saracens the following week and after that England will do what they want to do.”
Assuming that Tuilagi proves his fitness and form, he would present an interesting selection dilemma for Stuart Lancaster, the England interim head coach. Lancaster has structured his midfield around the Saracens trio of Charlie Hodgson, at fly half, and Owen Farrell and Brad Barritt at centre. Barritt, who looked assured on his debut against Scotland, would be the most likely to make way.
However, the two are very different players — Tuilagi is an explosive runner and a more natural No 13, while Barritt, an inside centre by preference, offers greater solidity and familiarity alongside Farrell. At No 12, Farrell is England’s first-choice goalkicker and the second ball-player in midfield, providing the balance that Lancaster prefers.
Tuilagi, 20, has scored four tries in his seven international appearances since making his debut against Wales at Twickenham last year. He started all five matches in the World Cup, but courted controversy, too, being fined £3,000 for jumping off a ferry in Auckland harbour, and was one of several players censured for wearing mouthguards that contravened tournament marketing regulations.

Sorry for the copy and paste but I know a lot of people won't be able to read the article as you have to pay for the times online. Found it a very interesting read, very interesting in the fact that, if he is fit, this writer actually thinks for a second there is a dilemma whether to put Manu back in or not.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Manu Tuilagi - Times Article Empty Re: Manu Tuilagi - Times Article

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:49 am

From a Welsh view point DAMN, was hoping he wouldn't have been fit for our game at Twickenham.

From neutral view point hope his recovery goes well and I do think he's what England have been missing, proved he's got what it takes at the highest level.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:From a Welsh view point DAMN, was hoping he wouldn't have been fit for our game at Twickenham.

From neutral view point hope his recovery goes well and I do think he's what England have been missing, proved he's got what it takes at the highest level.

Ditto bedfordwelsh from a Saracens point of view. DAMN.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

Well, Flood should be back for the Wales game as well, so we don't need to shoe-horn Farrell in for his goal kicking abilities.

I'd like to see a midfield of Flood - Barritt - Manu T, with Farrell on the bench to cover 10 and 12. Looks to have some potential flair and ball carrying power in attack and with no lack tackling ability in defence (Flood's defence is fine for a 10, while Barritt showed on Saturday that he is a very solid tackler and Manu has the Samoan tackle everything that moves gene).

A back division of:
Youngs
Flood
Ashton
Barritt
Tuilagi
Strettle/Sharples
Foden
looks to me like a good combination of pace and elusiveness on the outside, carrying power in the midfield and some play-making ability in the half backs (assuming they find some kind of form). Hopefully with Morgan in at 8 and Lawes back in the 2nd row, we'll have far more threat with ball in hand that we showed against Scotland.

Only problem is that we have to play Italy before we can play that backline. I'm not looking forward to it.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:54 am

Hes forgetting that Flood will be back as well, and Hodgosn is only a place sitter for him so the goal kicking issue is less relevant. The real choice then would between Farell and barit at 12. Most of us assume Barrit but as the writer here suggests it may be more Lancastery to keep Farrel in the side. He obviously has a lot of faith in the kid
I guess how they both perform this weekend may have some bearing on that too. Barrit was the one whoi came out of the Scotland game with more credit in most peopels eyes, and as I see it England need to worry more about getting players in the backline who can take the ball forward in hand than they do about their kicking options there.
Youd think it would take a pretty epic performance form the midfield to stay as it is for the Wales game.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:57 am

dummy,

When you put it like that then if they all fit n on form for our visit then it will be interesting.

I have never been confident going to Twickenham mainly due to our shocking record there and it will be no different this year if thats the back line England put out
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:58 am

Can't wait to see him back in action. He really is an exciting player and one that the opposition won't want to see.

As others have said he'll be back in the side when available and it's a case of who partners him.

Let's hope there's soon a bit of a headache in the centres for the England selectors (but in a good way for a change!).

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:00 am

dummy_half wrote:

A back division of:
Youngs
Flood
Ashton
Barritt
Tuilagi
Strettle/Sharples
Foden

Like it a lot

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

The thing that is so great about Tuilagi is that everyone thinks hes just a bosh merchant but he is just as capable at running around people as through them. In the RWC where most of England seemed to be struggling he was making breaks for fun. He has the makings of something special.

As for the wings I wouldnt mind seeing Ashton back to the bench with Strettle and Sharples out there

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:15 am

How the mighty fall, Ashotn now only the third best winger in the world behind Ashton and Sharples.

I do think England have a problem with having only one kicker in the back 3 though.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:46 am

Ashton was top try scorer in last year's 6Ns and joint top try scorer in the RWC - not sure where this idea that his form is awful has come from. He's quick and he's a good finisher, but he can't magic tries out of absolutely nothing.

Against Scotland, he didn't get many opportunities with the ball (because Robshaw passes as well as Tindall Shocked ), but tackled solidly (something that he has previously been criticised for) and had one good moment of cover defence to balance against the incident where he conceded a penalty after a breakdown in communication saw him passed the ball as first receiver in defence (I think he was intending only to move over to cover his wing, but found Youngs giving him the ball). Also, while he is not a great kicker, he has worked on it and is getting to the stage of being competent at clearing his lines - about the same standard as Lewsey and Robinson ever reached.

Not sure that Strettle showed an awful lot more that would make his selection a certainty - again, mostly defended well (missed one tackle when Denton broke down the short side) and showed good commitment, but similarly didn't see enough ball to pose a threat other than when he fielded the Hodgson cross-kick and was well tackled by Denton.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by gnollbeast Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

Who cares if Tuilagi plays against Wales? He is like a midget compared to North and Roberts

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:20 am

gnollbeast wrote:Who cares if Tuilagi plays against Wales? He is like a midget compared to North and Roberts

Headscratch

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

Who cares if Tuilagi plays against Wales? He is like a midget compared to North and Roberts.

When Davies is flat on his back you might not be saying that. Anyway the interesting battle will be Roberts vs Barritt, both are big hitters and love their defence as well as a meaty carry ball in hand. Roberts is more explosive in attack but Barritt has the better hands and footballing skills.

Ashton was top try scorer in last year's 6Ns and joint top try scorer in the RWC - not sure where this idea that his form is awful has come from.

Recent Sarries form. Basically he got banned from girly hair pulling (otherwise playing very well in that game) and has not bothered to show up since. This could be down to a couple of things like the contract talks with Sarries/Saints or general dis-satisfaction about his suspension and not being considered automatic first choice anymore at Saints.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
gnollbeast wrote:Who cares if Tuilagi plays against Wales? He is like a midget compared to North and Roberts

Headscratch

Are we suggesting that he may infact have been tossed form that ferry by Tindall and co?

Whilst he isnt the tallest or heaviest center in the world he has a stocky build and incredible explosive power. He punches well above his weight, ask Ashton.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

Whilst he isnt the tallest or heaviest center in the world he has a stocky build and incredible explosive power. He punches well above his weight, ask Ashton.

Not the best example as Ashton took everything he threw pretty well...imo.

I like the look of

12 Barritt
13 Tuilagi

Im not a huge fan of Farrell just yet...think he needs to in there for more than just goalkicking..if he's a centre...or FH

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm

Barritt is also considered to just be a bosher. Having Barritt and Tuilagi in the centres 'should' work well if they gell at all. Noon and Tindall it isn't.

EDIT: I just hope he's fully recovered from the injury.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Not sure that Strettle showed an awful lot more that would make his selection a certainty - again, mostly defended well (missed one tackle when Denton broke down the short side)

Even that one was more a case of Scotland having an overlap and Strettle not quite getting to the outside channel quick enough. It was Croft who missed the absolute shocker down that side.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:46 pm

Barritt is also considered to just be a bosher. Having Barritt and Tuilagi in the centres 'should' work well if they gell at all. Noon and Tindall it isn't.

Barritt having played 10 for Natal in SA and Manu having pace and decent hands to go with that bosh should mean as a combination they produce more of an attacking threat than Tindall and Noon who between them lots of bosh but no speed of footballing skills (less said about handling the better as well).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Barritt having played 10 for Natal in SA and Manu having pace and decent hands to go with that bosh should mean as a combination they produce more of an attacking threat than Tindall and Noon who between them lots of bosh but no speed of footballing skills (less said about handling the better as well).

Just to be clear, that's what I meant Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Barritt is also considered to just be a bosher. Having Barritt and Tuilagi in the centres 'should' work well if they gell at all. Noon and Tindall it isn't.

The difference being Barrit has a bit more of a kicking game than Noon did, and Tuilagi has a lot more speed on the outside than Tindall did.
The effectiveness of that though would come down to England getting them some momentum liek Wakles do with their big lumps. Running onto the ball at spedd at angles with a defense already stretched by a coupel of phases of quick ball is a lot more effective than the old England tactic of walking slowly toward the enemy machine gun nests hoping someone cleared the barbed wire.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Barritt is also considered to just be a bosher. Having Barritt and Tuilagi in the centres 'should' work well if they gell at all. Noon and Tindall it isn't.

The difference being Barrit has a bit more of a kicking game than Noon did, and Tuilagi has a lot more speed on the outside than Tindall did.
The effectiveness of that though would come down to England getting them some momentum liek Wakles do with their big lumps. Running onto the ball at spedd at angles with a defense already stretched by a coupel of phases of quick ball is a lot more effective than the old England tactic of walking slowly toward the enemy machine gun nests hoping someone cleared the barbed wire.

Morgan might be a help will the ball carrying....but i must admit i was quite happy to see England twice try a rolling maul...one doing very well until Botha dropped the ball forward....

Im not sure i actually saw England attempt one under Johnsons reign....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Morgan might be a help will the ball carrying....but i must admit i was quite happy to see England twice try a rolling maul...one doing very well until Botha dropped the ball forward....

Im not sure i actually saw England attempt one under Johnsons reign....

They did quite often its just with Borthwick as the ball carrier it usually resembled a bunch of men falling over backwards.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

As Geordie said, Morgan would also add a bit of go forward. Refine Lawes' carrying and with Manu and Barritt in the backs it looks pretty decent. With Robshaw and Hartley along for the ride it could mean that we could actually start getting the best out of Croft then?

I would like to see 12. Barritt 13. Tuilagi as well. As Kia pointed out on another thread, the backline general concept is an important one, and Barritt's authority as well as skill in defence would make him an excellent organiser in the backs, with Manu providing a bit of a cutting edge.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

Chwji

You have an interesting point about luxury item boy aka Croft...

He was very sucessfull for the Lions playing as a second support wave runner behind solid centres in Roberts and BOD.

Barritt Tuilagi is a solid centre partnership who can also pass others into space........

For now though and certainly vs Ireland id like to see a meatier back row

6. Dowson (until Wood returns) 7. Robshaw 8. Morgan

when wood returns...

6. Robshaw
7. Wood
8 Morgan

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

I would quite like to see two Englishmen in the centres for England but I admit to being a traditionalist.
Bertie Bassett for captain!!!!!!!!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:03 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I would quite like to see two Englishmen in the centres for England but I admit to being a traditionalist.

I know what you mean. I'm a traditionalist too and would rather like to see a welshman playing at 8 for Wales.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:14 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:I would quite like to see two Englishmen in the centres for England but I admit to being a traditionalist.

I know what you mean. I'm a traditionalist too and would rather like to see a welshman playing at 8 for Wales.

Would also be nice if Wales could produce their own wingers, rather than turning to a couple of young English lads to fill the void left by Williams retiring.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:26 pm

Also a shame they turned to a South African lock to replace their injured English lock.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:34 pm

robbo277 wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

Would also be nice if Wales could produce their own wingers, rather than turning to a couple of young English lads to fill the void left by Williams retiring.
Crikey,it must have been hellish for over the last few years with kiwis,saffers,Tongans and Samoans turning out for your lot.Still,you have a couple of English fellas in the squad so things are on the up.
Any more illegal immigrants on the radar?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:42 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
robbo277 wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

Crikey,it must have been hellish for over the last few years with kiwis,saffers,Tongans and Samoans turning out for your lot.Still,you have a couple of English fellas in the squad so things are on the up.

I know Taff its been hell for us having to abide by the IRB rules and player representation, you know rather than make stuff up about granny's.
But i wish we we were in the position where we only have players born in our country play for us, just like Wales..........oh hang on?

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:15 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
robbo277 wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

He never came into the country illegaly

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:28 am

He didnt say he came into the country illegally.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:15 pm

What worries me is that Lancaster hasn't made any changes for this game against italy when the concensus is that Dowson really really shouldn't be starting at eight with big ben warming pine...and it would make sense to at least give flood a run off the bench against the italians and get him warmed up to international pace, then head back to leicester for a full match over the 18th before starting against the welsh on the 25th.

I fear that Tuilagi, lawes, flood and wood will not walk back into the side with lancaster being a continuity merchant.... to be honest i think most england fans would love to see flood and tuilagi starting against wales but i think we may be looking at bench spots with tuilagi/ flood for brown/ JTH....if we are lucky.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

sirtidychris wrote: lancaster being a continuity merchant

We really going to start calling him that for picking the same squad for their 2nd international game? The team built a good platform to learn from against the Scots at Murrayfield, and they can continue that as a unit this weekend, without sudden erratic changes to the squad being made. I think we'll see Morgan make an appearance much earlier on, with Dowson subbing off/moving to 6 depending on Croft's performance.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

we don't have to but i just did....of course its overly judgemental at this stage but IMO stupid team selection decisions cost us a RWC semi final spot...its a sensitive topic.....i just hope lancaster has the cohenes to upset his old saxons pals and dump them out the team when they suck rather than keep on giving them chances based on being great guys.... Fair play its too early to tell at this stage...but no flood and no morgan worries me slightly

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:04 pm

Stidy,

The French bothering to actually try for the 20 minutes of teh game, something they only did on one other occassion in the torunemant, is what cost England the semi final spot. Had they played like they did against 14 Welshmen and Tonga then England couldve won with Borthwick, Barkley and Bloody Balshaw in the side

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

Offtopic now....but I strongly disagree without a doubt it was Johnsons selection decisions

1) playing stevens at loosehead after he'd been smashed repeatly there against a weaker tightheads
2) starting wilko at 10 when completley out of form
3) Forcing flood in at 12 to partner wilkinson for the frst time in years...out of position
4) Lewis Moody-totally knackered why haskell or wood didn't start i don't know

Hape for all his detractors knew how to play in the 12 shirt for england and would have formed a soild defensive line and great crash ball...... remember Youngs, Flood, Hape, Ashton Cueto Foden all played together regularly as a back line including the wins over France in the 2011 six nations and the thrashing of Australia.

Nope johnson undermined the whole backline and scrum with his really odd decisions and we still only lost 12-19....had he played the team he built to win the sixnations the same team that beat france then we would have won....no doubt

but

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

I fear that Tuilagi, lawes, flood and wood will not walk back into the side with lancaster being a continuity merchant.... to be honest i think most england fans would love to see flood and tuilagi starting against wales but i think we may be looking at bench spots with tuilagi/ flood for brown/ JTH....if we are lucky.

If that happens then England will lose, badly. That midfield is not being sheltered by the Sarries pack anymore (it's a great pack, particularly in the backrow) and they just aren't going anywhere. We got away with against Scotland but with not tweaking before the Italy game (I'm not even thinking changing the 22 players just changing between bench and starting 15) I don't think we'll see an improvement. There were hints of Italy starting to really play against France and that French team looked bloody good.

If Italy turn up with a full Stadio Olympico behind them then they will be tough to beat. If England surrender as much cheap possession as against Scotland then we will lose. The forwards lack ball carrying ability, particularly in the second row and at 8, the backs look bereft of creation in the midfield, some more ball might help that though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down