The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blues back to the Arms Park (at least for Friday)

+21
J_D
tecphobe
SportingNonsense
Dai Tryin
gowales
Adam D
Shifty
dogtooth
bedfordwelsh
Steffan
Smirnoffpriest
Coleman
BridgendBoyo
Pyleboy65
XR
HERSH
JayMaster3000
Cari
Cardiff Dave
doctornickolas
wales606
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Blues back to the Arms Park (at least for Friday) Empty Blues back to the Arms Park (at least for Friday)

Post by wales606 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:31 am

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5711.php

Cardiff Blues can confirm that they will play this Friday's fixture against Connacht at Cardiff Arms Park.
All season tickets holders, premier club members and supporters who have purchased tickets for the match do not need to take any action as their tickets are valid for the game, which will be the first time the Blues have played a competitive match at the ground since moving to the Cardiff City Stadium in 2009.
The Blues have won six out of seven of their last matches at home with their solitary loss a 19-23 defeat to table topping Leinster in the PRO12 on 7 January. They have also already recorded a victory over Connacht this season with a 26-20 win in Galway on 29 October.

Speaking of the announcement to move the match, Cardiff Blues CEO Richard Holland said,

"There are no long term plans in place to move back to the Arms Park permanently, however, we have listened to what our supporters are saying and it should be a great occasion to play this match at the Arms Park.

"Hopefully there will be a good crowd there on Friday night."

"Obviously Cardiff Blues still have a 20 year lease in place at the Cardiff City Stadium and moving the Connacht match to the Arms Park has no impact on this agreement."

"These are difficult economic times and we have to explore ways of creating a sustainable future for the region."

Cardiff Blues Chairman Peter Thomas added,

"I am pleased that the club is exploring all available options to us and playing this match at the Arms Park shows that we are listening to our fanbase."

"The licensing constraint means that 8,000 is the maximum capacity we can have on the night, so I hope we have a large crowd there to enjoy the evening."

WRU Chief Executive Roger Lewis said:

"The WRU applauds and supports this initiative from the Cardiff Blues."

"In these tough times all of their options need to be considered."

"It is a bold move and deserves credit."

(ADDED IN BY ADAM D - TEAM NEWS)

Cardiff Blues have selected their side to face Connacht at Cardiff Arms Park tomorrow night, 7.30pm kick off

Following Wales’s magnificent win over Ireland in Dublin, sealed by Cardiff Blues favourite Leigh Halfpenny, Blues supporters can look forward to another round of matches against Irish opposition when they take on Connacht this Friday.

The match kicks off at 7.30pm and is not televised, so be sure to get your ticket to watch the action.

The Blues have won six out of seven of their last matches in Cardiff with their solitary loss a 19-23 defeat to table topping Leinster in the PRO12 on 7 January. They have also already recorded a victory over Connacht this season with a 26-20 win in Galway on 29 October.

Connacht’s long win drought ended with their impressive victory over Harlequins in the Heineken Cup. However, the Irishmen have not won away from home since the opening weekend of the season in Treviso. Connacht’s only win in their last dozen clashes with the Blues since 2005 was 18-16 at the Galway Sportsground on 18 September 2008.

The Blues complete their Triple Crown of Irish fixtures with a match against Ulster in Cardiff on Friday 19 February followed by a visit to Munster on Friday 24 February.

Speaking ahead of the match Cardiff Blues backs coach, Gareth Baber, said:

“Within the period of time that the players have known about the fixture being played at the Arms Park it’s created a buzz, not only at our training venue, but with the supporters and in the media as well. So hopefully we will have a big crowd to watch the match.”

“We know it’s only for one match but it is nice to be back at a place where the players have had good results in the past and that’s given us a bit more motivation to get the victory this evening.”

Speaking of the opposition Baber added:

“Obviously Eric Elwood has taken over the reigns at Connacht this season and I don’t think there has been a huge change, in so much as they have been a good solid outfit for a number of years.”

“Everyone who has played out in Galway knows how difficult it is to get a victory out there.”

“They recruit well and get a lot of young players in and supplement that with southern hemisphere players.”

“It gives them a good style and probably away from home they could argue that they don’t get the results they deserve.”

Martyn Williams returns to the Blues side for the first time in 5 months having recovered from a broken arm, suffered against Ulster in Septmeber.

Cardiff Blues 15. Ben Blair 14. Richard Mustoe 13.Casey Laulala 12. Gavin Evans 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Richie Rees

8. Xavier Rush 7. Martyn Williams 6. Maama Molitika 5. Paul Tito (C) 4. Michael Paterson 3. Sam Hobbs 2. T Rhys Thomas 1. John Yapp

16. Ryan Tyrell 17. Nathan Trevett 18. Ryan Harford 19. Cory Hill 20. Macauley Cook 21. Lewis Jones 22. Gareth Davies 23. Tom Williams

Not available due to injury:
Fau Filise - shoulder
Dafydd Hewitt - hamstring
James Down - ankle
Andries Pretorius - knee
Deiniol Jones - shoulder
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Blues back to the Arms Park (at least for Friday) Empty Re: Blues back to the Arms Park (at least for Friday)

Post by doctornickolas Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:39 am

I was going to suggest that everyone who believes they should return permanently should turn up on Friday.

However there is a stupid limit of 8,000.

For those that want this then I suggest you turn out in force on Friday to show the Blues your thoughts.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Blues back to the Arms Park (at least for Friday) Empty Re: Blues back to the Arms Park (at least for Friday)

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:58 am

I'll be there.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

doctornickolas wrote:I was going to suggest that everyone who believes they should return permanently should turn up on Friday.

For those that want this then I suggest you turn out in force on Friday to show the Blues your thoughts.

If there's a limit of 8'000 tickets and, the demand reaches, say, 10K or more...they'll think that the CCS is the better option anyway so it might not have the desired effect.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:04 pm

Cari wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:I was going to suggest that everyone who believes they should return permanently should turn up on Friday.

If there's a limit of 8'000 tickets and, the demand reaches, say, 10K or more...they'll think that the CCS is the better option anyway so it might not have the desired effect.

What do you suggest?

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:05 pm

Nothing, but that's the point, it's not going to change the minds of the powers-that-be. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:06 pm

Cari wrote:

I doubt that - they know they wouldn't have gotten 10k+ in the CCS for a Connacht game. If they don't then god help us all...

Pity I can't go on Friday :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm

C'mon Blues fans make sure its a great atmos and a sell out.

I might even go myself. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:13 pm

good news, let's see how many of the whingers who complained about the CCS being 'too far away' will turn up.

If the numbers are there and they 'sell out' the CAP, then that's smacking them in the face what the people want

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

Jamie Roberts says......

"Blues' Wales centre Jamie Roberts welcomed the move on Twitter, saying: "So the Blues are playing Connacht at the Arms Park Friday evening.... amazing place steeped in history.. old school terraces.. loving it.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16927009

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

gcBlues wrote:good news, let's see how many of the whingers who complained about the CCS being 'too far away' will turn up.

If the numbers are there and they 'sell out' the CAP, then that's smacking them in the face what the people want

Wonder if they'll be any CCS fans who will whinge about CAP being too far away? No doubt some will park their cars at CCS for this game as usual and have to make their way to the Arms Park. I guess the shuttle bus service will have to run in reverse.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyleboy65 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:24 pm

What an opportunity missed by The Blues to spread the appeal of the Region to the Valleys. This would have been an ideal game to take to Sardis Road and encourage the youngsters of Pontypridd, Merthyr etc to get behind the region.

This is the area that the Blues have to engage and I know as a Pontypridd resident that I would have attended.

Pyleboy65

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm

I have a feeling that you might have been the only Ponty resident there Whistle

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm

Pyleboy65 wrote:What an opportunity missed by The Blues to spread the appeal of the Region to the Valleys. This would have been an ideal game to take to Sardis Road and encourage the youngsters of Pontypridd, Merthyr etc to get behind the region.

This is the area that the Blues have to engage and I know as a Pontypridd resident that I would have attended.

Damn shame that. Poor form from the Bloos for missing the golden opportunity you suggest.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyleboy65 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

Bridgendboyo - you'd be surprised - not all Pontypridd residents are that "one eyed" and also there is a huge appetite for top flight rugby that is not being satisfied. It would also have difused this ridiculous call for a fifth region.

Also many of the current Pontypridd first team are dual registered with The Blues, including some good Academy players.

Surely it would have been worth a try.

Pyleboy65

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

Buzzing!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

Pyleboy65 wrote:Bridgendboyo - you'd be surprised - not all Pontypridd residents are that "one eyed" and also there is a huge appetite for top flight rugby that is not being satisfied. It would also have difused this ridiculous call for a fifth region.

Also many of the current Pontypridd first team are dual registered with The Blues, including some good Academy players.

Surely it would have been worth a try.

Nah.
Cardiff will make a shed load of cash at CAP. They wouldn't at another club's ground.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

Cari wrote:

If demand increases then you increase your prices accordingly, but Cardiff Blues are nowhere near to this point at present.
I'll be amazed if they attract more than say 6000 for this game.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:02 pm

6,000 would be 4,000 more then they'd get down the CCS. I was going regardless, as my nephew has been nagging me for a while to take him to watch "the bulls" o.O . Like previous posters have suggested. This is a chance for the Arms Park til i die brigade to put their money where the mouth is.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

Does anyone know how much tickets are, and if there's some available on the night?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:30 pm

Cari wrote:Does anyone know how much tickets are, and if there's some available on the night?

£15 and tickets on the night are available from the ticket office at CAP.

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5711.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:30 pm

Cari wrote:Does anyone know how much tickets are, and if there's some available on the night?

If they don't sell out they will be for sales on the night at the ticket office

Tickets are £15 (I think)

Check the link in the post and it will give details.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

Cheers Wales thumbsup

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

Jamie Roberts again;

"Still buzzing over the news the Blues will play at Cardiff Arms Park Friday night....just class Smile"

https://twitter.com/#!/jamiehuwroberts/status/166876320695975936

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

Gareth Thomas;

"Great news that Cardiff blues are going back to the arms park.A place of true history.Loved playing there.Maybe a regular for em?"

https://twitter.com/#!/gareththomas14/status/166880047062450176

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

Good idea and it'll be interesting to see just how many people turn up - if it's around the 4k mark then it'll really be a kick in the teeth for the CAP brigade and will probably kill any chance of the Blues going back to the CAP.

I might go down, might be a good atmosphere and should be a battle what with Connacht playing well and unaffected by internationals and the Blues while affected by internationals will have players like Henson and Blair improving and a pretty tasty backline.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Pyleboy65 wrote:What an opportunity missed by The Blues to spread the appeal of the Region to the Valleys. This would have been an ideal game to take to Sardis Road and encourage the youngsters of Pontypridd, Merthyr etc to get behind the region.

Mate this is Peter Thomas and Bob Norster we are talking about here. They are not yet fully aware that life exists outside of Cardiff nevermind the fact there are human beings out there who are rugby fans that under the current regional setup they are obliged to encourage and develop rugby with these fans and youngsters....

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

Could it back fire though if its not full/sell out. Also going back to the historical ground of Cardiff RFC is hardly embracing the Regional concept is it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:55 pm

When have the Blues ever embraced the regional concept? Besides taking promising Ponty players, which they used to do before regionalisation Whistle

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

Now now Priest Whistle
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:When have the Blues ever embraced the regional concept? Besides taking promising Ponty players, which they used to do before regionalisation Whistle

I always remember having hospitality tickets for a Pontypridd v Cardiff match at Sardis Road in the old club days

I was with my mate and a bunch of other Ponty fans and Neil Jenkins had played for Cardiff that day

After the game Neil was in the box with us and all the other Pontypridd players drinking (who were also celebrating a win)

So much for "team spirit" at Cardiff Laugh

Pick up your Peter Pie paycheck and be done with it...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

Well I'm going for a nose....and to ogle Niall O'Connor Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:56 pm

will Parks play in the return to the old ground?
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

dogtooth wrote:will Parks play in the return to the old ground?

He might go on the sick for stress by the sounds of it. Poor dab.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

I'm not sure what to make of this to be honest, I do think Rodney Parade is the best regional ground because it feels much more like a traditional rugby ground.
I will say the pitch at the Arms Park looks a little dodgy but then again if they had a professional team there every week to maintain it properly then maybe things might improve there.

The Arms Park does need serious upgrading though, I was there for the Swansea game and the entire stand on the pitch was cordoned off and only one side of the pitch length wise was usuable. I wonder if half the stadium has been closed off for safety reasons?

bedfordwelsh wrote:Could it back fire though if its not full/sell out. Also going back to the historical ground of Cardiff RFC is hardly embracing the Regional concept is it.
Why would they embrace the regional concept, Cardiff were always honest and up front they wanted to be "stand alone" they DID NOT WANT any other clubs involved with their region.

The WRU shot gunned Pontypridd on them and to be fair Cardiff did make an effort, but Ponty shoved it back in their faces (the fans, not the club).
If Pontypridd had gone to the Ospreys then maybe things might of turned out better, Bridgend embraced the Ospreys because we had no bad history with Swansea, it was always Cardiff who took Bridgend players.
It's a bit like Everton being closed and them being told to go and support Liverpool!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:47 am

AlynDavies wrote:The Arms Park does need serious upgrading though, I was there for the Swansea game and the entire stand on the pitch was cordoned off and only one side of the pitch length wise was usuable. I wonder if half the stadium has been closed off for safety reasons?

Cardiff RFC don't get massive crowds so it makes more sense to place all the fans in the one stand. Have all the fans together in one stand would give more atmosphere than two or three hundred scattered around.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

AlynDavies wrote:I'm not sure what to make of this to be honest, I do think Rodney Parade is the best regional ground because it feels much more like a traditional rugby ground.
I will say the pitch at the Arms Park looks a little dodgy but then again if they had a professional team there every week to maintain it properly then maybe things might improve there.

The Arms Park does need serious upgrading though, I was there for the Swansea game and the entire stand on the pitch was cordoned off and only one side of the pitch length wise was usuable. I wonder if half the stadium has been closed off for safety reasons?

Nothing wrong with the Arms Park pitch and the Airspace lounge on top of the south stand has supposedly been refurbished recently plus some of the 40-something or other hospitality boxes are being spring cleaned this week in preparation for Friday's game against Connacht.
As gcblues has explained, the north stand has not been required for WP games, so was cordoned off.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

"And they are ready to consider staging more matches back at the historic Arms Park as well as Pontypridd’s Sardis Road."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/02/08/fans-delighted-as-cardiff-blues-make-temporary-return-to-cardiff-arms-park-91466-30286318/#ixzz1lnB1vm2m
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:22 pm

“We’re a region and we’re more than a Cardiff team. If we want to embrace that region we have got to take the rugby to it.”

Holland, who took over from Robert Norster only five weeks ago, also revealed the Blues were already exploring the possibility of playing at Sardis Road or elsewhere outside of Cardiff.

“I would like to have a conversation with people at Pontypridd to see if it’s possible, if it’s viable,” said the pro-active former Chepstow Racecourse chief.

“Our home is still Cardiff City Stadium but using the Arms Park was an option available to us so we took it,” he said.

“It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday night because there is an opportunity to play more games there next season.

“I am hopeful we will have a decent crowd. If we don’t, it will answer a question. We will be judged on it.”

Holland admitted potential spectators had been given short notice about the switch in venue.

He said it had only been possible after discussions with commercial partners, Premier Club members and various bodies, including the WRU.

“We haven’t got many advance ticket bookings and it’s our first home league game of the season not to be televised,” explained Holland, before the explosion in sales.

“We will take stock afterwards and see where we are. I have been having a discussion with the people at Cardiff City Stadium and they are in the picture of where we are from a commercial aspect. This decision hasn’t been taken in isolation. There’s been lots of parties involved and I’m grateful to them for letting it to happen.

“We have got an agreement (a 20-year lease) in place to play at Cardiff City Stadium. There's a fixed cost in that and a variable one for match days.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/02/08/fans-delighted-as-cardiff-blues-make-temporary-return-to-cardiff-arms-park-91466-30286318/#ixzz1lnBSJlob

Looks like Holland isn't just PTs puppet - maybe there is hope.

I'd love to see Ponty more involved with the Blues.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

Blues captain Paul Tito, said: “I’m fairly excited; it’s an opportunity to have a game back at Cardiff Arms Park.

“It’s a great ground and a lot of our players have not played there – Casey Laulala has been dying to have a game at the Arms Park and this is his chance.

“I think it’s a good call from the board and Richard. We just hope it works out. In saying that we need to go out and perform.”

It’s clear, from the vibes coming from members of the Blues squad, they’re revved up to produce a performance to savour.

Blues’ former Wales and Pontypridd outside-half Ceri Sweeney chipped in: “The fact is people aren’t coming to watch for whatever reason.

“Personally, I think there’s a few things, like kick-off times, a lot of rugby on television and people not having money spare in these hard times to take their families to matches.

“The board are exploring avenues.

“That’s the key thing. If we take games to the Arms Park or Sardis Road and it works out, it’s good for the Blues.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/02/08/fans-delighted-as-cardiff-blues-make-temporary-return-to-cardiff-arms-park-91466-30286318/#ixzz1lnCU9w7N
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

Ponty fans wont get involved while the regions is still called cardiff blues

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

I think a lot of ground work and an increase in the development/age grade work the Blues do in the valleys is needed before they play a game in Sardis rd and make it a success.

It's good to see some sounds coming from the Blues that they are actually in a region and some signs that they want to develop their following. And nice that they look like being a bit more creative and flexible to get more fans - hopefully they can get back to where they were 2/3 seasons ago, a really strong side competing in Europe and attendances increasing

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:24 pm

wales606 wrote:

Looks like Holland isn't just PTs puppet - maybe there is hope.

I'd love to see Ponty more involved with the Blues.

Thomas still pulls the strings and I believe there is a lot you can read between the lines in Holland's words.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm

If the Cardiff Blues played a game at Sardis Road next month, would Pontypridd fans go??? After all, this is what you've calling for right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:25 pm

Griff wrote:If the Cardiff Blues played a game at Sardis Road next month, would Pontypridd fans go??? After all, this is what you've calling for right?

No it isn't what they've been calling for.
They want something that is totally separate from Cardiff Blues and they certainly wouldn't be enthused about an LV game or two at Sardis and who can blame them.

Some colourful posts on this forum.
http://www.ponty.net/terracetalk

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:06 pm

wales606 wrote:

Holland, who took over from Robert Norster only five weeks ago, also revealed the Blues were already exploring the possibility of playing at Sardis Road or elsewhere outside of Cardiff.

No idea where this place could be. Merthyr possibly?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:If the Cardiff Blues played a game at Sardis Road next month, would Pontypridd fans go??? After all, this is what you've calling for right?

No it isn't what they've been calling for.
They want something that is totally separate from Cardiff Blues and they certainly wouldn't be enthused about an LV game or two at Sardis and who can blame them.

Some colourful posts on this forum.
http://www.ponty.net/terracetalk

It's not the only thing they've been calling for, granted, but I've heard many a call of 'at least take some games on the road', so there have been calls for this. Therefore, the question still stands. And no-one has answered yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:30 pm

Cardiff Blues have selected their side to face Connacht at Cardiff Arms Park tomorrow night, 7.30pm kick off

Following Wales’s magnificent win over Ireland in Dublin, sealed by Cardiff Blues favourite Leigh Halfpenny, Blues supporters can look forward to another round of matches against Irish opposition when they take on Connacht this Friday.

The match kicks off at 7.30pm and is not televised, so be sure to get your ticket to watch the action.

The Blues have won six out of seven of their last matches in Cardiff with their solitary loss a 19-23 defeat to table topping Leinster in the PRO12 on 7 January. They have also already recorded a victory over Connacht this season with a 26-20 win in Galway on 29 October.

Connacht’s long win drought ended with their impressive victory over Harlequins in the Heineken Cup. However, the Irishmen have not won away from home since the opening weekend of the season in Treviso. Connacht’s only win in their last dozen clashes with the Blues since 2005 was 18-16 at the Galway Sportsground on 18 September 2008.

The Blues complete their Triple Crown of Irish fixtures with a match against Ulster in Cardiff on Friday 19 February followed by a visit to Munster on Friday 24 February.

Speaking ahead of the match Cardiff Blues backs coach, Gareth Baber, said:

“Within the period of time that the players have known about the fixture being played at the Arms Park it’s created a buzz, not only at our training venue, but with the supporters and in the media as well. So hopefully we will have a big crowd to watch the match.”

“We know it’s only for one match but it is nice to be back at a place where the players have had good results in the past and that’s given us a bit more motivation to get the victory this evening.”

Speaking of the opposition Baber added:

“Obviously Eric Elwood has taken over the reigns at Connacht this season and I don’t think there has been a huge change, in so much as they have been a good solid outfit for a number of years.”

“Everyone who has played out in Galway knows how difficult it is to get a victory out there.”

“They recruit well and get a lot of young players in and supplement that with southern hemisphere players.”

“It gives them a good style and probably away from home they could argue that they don’t get the results they deserve.”

Martyn Williams returns to the Blues side for the first time in 5 months having recovered from a broken arm, suffered against Ulster in Septmeber.

Cardiff Blues 15. Ben Blair 14. Richard Mustoe 13.Casey Laulala 12. Gavin Evans 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Richie Rees

8. Xavier Rush 7. Martyn Williams 6. Maama Molitika 5. Paul Tito (C) 4. Michael Paterson 3. Sam Hobbs 2. T Rhys Thomas 1. John Yapp

16. Ryan Tyrell 17. Nathan Trevett 18. Ryan Harford 19. Cory Hill 20. Macauley Cook 21. Lewis Jones 22. Gareth Davies 23. Tom Williams

Not available due to injury:
Fau Filise - shoulder
Dafydd Hewitt - hamstring
James Down - ankle
Andries Pretorius - knee
Deiniol Jones - shoulder

added in to OP

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

Interesting... I wonder if they have dropped Henson or if Wales have kept him in the squad. Surely it would be the perfect time to give Henson game time at Flyhalf off the bench and to put more bums on seats.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

Griff wrote:

It's not the only thing they've been calling for, granted, but I've heard many a call of 'at least take some games on the road', so there have been calls for this. Therefore, the question still stands. And no-one has answered yet.

You're right there have been calls on here for Cardiff Blues to play at Sardis, but i'm not sure how many were Ponty fans. However the posters on Ponty.net are pretty clear as to what they think of the idea.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next