The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin 2012 - Ireland v Wales - Best place to watch game ?

+4
Intotouch
Red Right
Submachine
MajorRoadWorks
8 posters

Go down

Dublin 2012 - Ireland v Wales - Best place to watch game ? Empty Dublin 2012 - Ireland v Wales - Best place to watch game ?

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, but I hope someone will be able to help....

Off to Dublin this weekend for Ireland v Wales. Never been to Dublin before, and have been told by some workmates that it isnt a good trip when the game is on a Sunday, as most pubs dont open and those that do shut early (being a Sunday). I hope this isnt the case, especially as I couldnt get game tickets...

Can someone put my mind to rest...

1. Do the pubs open and shut early on Sundays in Dublin.

and

2. Where is the best place to watch the game (pub that is). Dont mind the busy pubs for atmos, but would rather watch in the game in a smaller pub where you can see the telly.

(Oh... and how much is a pint of Guinness out there.....).

Thanks in advance...

guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

Last edited by MajorRoadWorks on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Dublin 2012 - Ireland v Wales - Best place to watch game ? Empty Re: Dublin 2012 - Ireland v Wales - Best place to watch game ?

Post by Submachine Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

1. Pub doors open 12.30 supposed to close 11.00pm (last orders). City centre boozers will all be open late.
2. Hang around Baggot St endless choice
3. Anything from €3.50 (suburbia) to €5.50 posh pubs

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Dublin 2012 - Ireland v Wales - Best place to watch game ? Empty Re: Dublin 2012 - Ireland v Wales - Best place to watch game ?

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

Cheers... 1230-2300hrs doesnt seem too bad Ok!

Will probably be one sheet to the wind by then, especially as it will be just topping up Saturday's Guinness fest...

guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

Cant wait... cheers.

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:31 pm

.....am I being "wound up".

Just looked at Baggot St on Google Maps and it looks like mostly shops and banks... Could only see 2 or 3 pubs. Whistle

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

Lower Baggot Street. Coming from St Stephens green. Doheny and Nesbits, O'Donoghues, The Baggot Inn. They are all good pubs and are traditional prematch watering holes for those going to the game. Searsons in the Stephens Green shopping centre is also a good spot to watch a match.
However if you are there on Saturday you can do a bit of recon.
Also where abouts are you staying? There might be some options near you.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

MajorRoadWorks wrote:.....am I being "wound up".

Just looked at Baggot St on Google Maps and it looks like mostly shops and banks... Could only see 2 or 3 pubs. Whistle

No, there's plenty of bars on Baggot St, just depends whic side of it. Around Upper Baggot st there is Searsons - a big rugby pub, will probably be heaving on matchday but might clear out when the game is on.

There's a few good bars in Sandymount alos (O'Reilly's is one but there are a few others down there too), these should all be good for a match day atmosphere.

If you just want to stay in the city centre there will be planty of places showing it, it will really be a case of getting in early and finding a place that suits.

There is one place - O'Donoghue's on Suffolk St - that I used top like to go to watch games. Its a small pub but has TV's in the back and up stairs - if you can get in early (either up stairs or there is a small raised area at the back of the ground floor) you shopuld get guranteed unobstructed viewing. From there you are nomore than a 5 mins walk from anywhere in the city centre once teh game is over.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

Cheers... sorry just realised Baggot Street is LONG (Lower & Upper).

I'll make a note of those pubs... Is it likely spare tickets will be going there, without lining touts pockets too much. I know this is unlikely, if they are true rugby pubs but worth asking the question...

Stopping in Ashling Hotel (Parkgate St.)

Thanks again for the pointers...

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:54 pm

MajorRoadWorks wrote:Cheers... sorry just realised Baggot Street is LONG (Lower & Upper).

I'll make a note of those pubs... Is it likely spare tickets will be going there, without lining touts pockets too much. I know this is unlikely, if they are true rugby pubs but worth asking the question...

Stopping in Ashling Hotel (Parkgate St.)

Thanks again for the pointers...

O'Reilly's in Sandymount. I've been in there for games a few times and have got tickets in there on 3 occassions - always at face value.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:57 pm

Thanks both... well if nothing else, you have put my mind at rest re my first point ...

"1. Do the pubs open and shut early on Sundays in Dublin."

Looks like my work-mates have been pulling my plonker steam .

I was concerned that Dublin would close being a Sunday after listening to them, but that doesnt seem to be the case....

Really looking forward to it.

Have done Scotland (many times), Italy twice, France 3. Never got round to doing Dublin, dont know why...... been told by many, that its the best....

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

Red Right wrote:O'Reilly's in Sandymount. I've been in there for games a few times and have got tickets in there on 3 occassions - always at face value.

Brilliant... Printing out directions now.... Thanks Yahoo

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

On a side note, be careful around Park Gate St at night. It was a bit of a no go area for a long time and quite a slummy red light zone. Looks a lot better since the tram line went in but still...
However you are perfectly placed to visit Dublin Zoo while you're there. A brisk walk around on Sunday morning is just what you need to blow the cobwebs away.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

Submachine wrote:On a side note, be careful around Park Gate St at night. It was a bit of a no go area for a long time and quite a slummy red light zone. Looks a lot better since the tram line went in but still...
However you are perfectly placed to visit Dublin Zoo while you're there. A brisk walk around on Sunday morning is just what you need to blow the cobwebs away.

Was going to say something similar but the place has improved - I lived in Stoneybatter up until 18 months ago and the tram line has made a difference. Probably best to air on the side of caution when your gooing back to your hotel at night and get a cab but its perfectly safe during the day.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

Cheers both, re the warning around Park Gate St.

There are 8 of us on the trip, I'm the shortest at 6ft, the others make Arnie (Terminiator), look small.

We never ever EVER, look for trouble, and I'm glad to say (probably due to their size) have only once had trouble look in our direction. Needless to say, they came off the worst.

Of the 8 of us, 2 are Policemen, a Fireman, a Teacher (PE), a Publican (who also has a black belt in Karate... we joke he has black suspenders as well), a Civil Servant (me... sorry), a banker (really sorry) and an accountant.

I'm sure it is fairly respectable now ( Ok! )..... but the warning is appreciated.

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

Ryans is near parkgate st. Great pub and they always show the 6 nations. Just ask at the reception. It's on the quays, a stones throw from the hotel.

I used to work at the Ashling hotel and walk home by there every evening, even in the dark of Winter. By Dublin standards it may be dodgy (the odd drunk/drunks, aggressive small kids),but by most other country's standards it's mellow and safe. Red light district? I've no idea what you mean.

If you want to drink later into the night the center is a better spot for you.

What kind of pub are you looking for exactly?

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:06 pm

Intotouch wrote:Ryans is near parkgate st. Great pub and they always show the 6 nations. Just ask at the reception. It's on the quays, a stones throw from the hotel.

I used to work at the Ashling hotel and walk home by there every evening, even in the dark of Winter. By Dublin standards it may be dodgy (the odd drunk/drunks, aggressive small kids),but by most other country's standards it's mellow and safe. Red light district? I've no idea what you mean.

If you want to drink later into the night the center is a better spot for you.

What kind of pub are you looking for exactly?

Cheers... Have to search out Ryans then...

I'm sure we can cope with the agressive small kids, and as for the "odd drunk" they wont come odder than us.. guinness Hug guinness

Not sure what sort of pub we are looking for to be honest... Suppose, looking for...

1. Friendly "local" type boozers for the day
2. Friendly rugby type boozers for the match(s) - Want to watch the Sat games as well...
3. Lively sing-a-long pubs for the evening...
4. And end it off with a Curry (Forgot to ask where the good food, reasonable price, curry houses are...)

Cheers all... this is most informative.

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

Thanks all... (and Red Stag... cant PM yet as a newbie).

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

Major - can only endorse what intotouch had to say about Ryan's - it's my local, always has the rugby on (and then thankfully shut the TV off when the game's over), very nice clientele (they even let Munster people in) - no gougers. Not a late night pub though so if you want to continue into the wee hours, hope on the tram at Heuston Station (200 yds across the river) into town and head up Grafton St/Baggot St way. Unless you likes pools of vomit avoid Temple Bar! Loads of Indian restaurants around city centre for your curry

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

ballboy - he'll have the best view. I know it and I paid him. The rest of you will think there's a break for an injury.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

Hi again. Ryans should suit you well then. I'm going to the Stag's Head in the south city center myself. It's a gorgeous old pub and I'd recommend it. I'd invite you along to join us but I'll be watching it with my ex (I think) and it could be a bit weird (haven't seen him since the break up). If you see an uneasy looking couple there that'll be us. There should be a hundred Welsh men in O'Neills down the road, just off Dame st. It's livelier with less locals and you never get a seat. Upstairs is better with less of a food smell. If you google them they're both in D2.

Wherever you end up I hope that you have a great night. But really there's so many pubs of that description it'd be not to find somewhere you like. Enjoy!

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:51 pm

Zaytoons around Camden street is great for a kebab and a feed of chips. Epicurean food hall is kind of a food court job where you can get pretty much anything it's on Liffey street,

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:44 pm

I made a mistake. I passed Ryans on the way home as usual last night and it's not on the quays, it's also on Parkgate St. When you leave the Ashling turn right and it's a hundred meters down on your right hand side.

I'd still recommend checking out the center, and the nicest parts of Dublin are along the coast and the south. Before anyone has a go I live on the north side and yes there are pretty parts of it but I've also lived south and it's nicer.

Near you is also Hughes bar, a great pub which has some of the best traditional music sessions in the city, always free, just follow the luas line towards the center and it's on your left. The cobblestones in Smithfield is also great for music and a little bit nearer to you.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:23 am

My favourite pub of all time in Dublin is Gogarty's.

You lose track of time in there - one minute you're singing along at 12.30 lunchtime and the next it's 10 o'clock at night.

I think Copper Face Jack's is alright for a late drink but I can never quite remember being in there.

However, there is a great kebab shop round the corner from CFJ which is quite literally like a nightclub with everyone dancing on tables til the early hours.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Wed 29 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

All, been busy with work recently, hence not posted a Thank You to all...

Had a FANTASTIC time in Dublin, and managed to get tickets for the game in the end (well 3 of us did). We didnt want to split up, but when you have tickets you have tickets.... We all met up again after the game for what must have been the BEST weekend ever...

Dublin is now on my top 6 Nation weekends. Cant wait to go again in 2 years.

....and Thanks Again to all of you who put me in the right direction for a good time. But as some of you said.... Difficult NOT to have a good time in Dublin on 6 Nations weekend.

guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm

MajorRoadWorks wrote:All, been busy with work recently, hence not posted a Thank You to all...

Had a FANTASTIC time in Dublin, and managed to get tickets for the game in the end (well 3 of us did). We didnt want to split up, but when you have tickets you have tickets.... We all met up again after the game for what must have been the BEST weekend ever...

Dublin is now on my top 6 Nation weekends. Cant wait to go again in 2 years.

....and Thanks Again to all of you who put me in the right direction for a good time. But as some of you said.... Difficult NOT to have a good time in Dublin on 6 Nations weekend.

guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

Glad you enjoyed it. I used to work in Temple Bar when I was in Uni, 6 nations weekends were always epic.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down