The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table?

+21
123skelm
Imperialbigdave
majesticimperialman
donkeyprop
justified sinner
TycroesOsprey
21st Century Schizoid Man
Islingtonv2
Scottish Optimist
Pat_Mustard
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Manky-Flanker
funnyExiledScot
SecretFly
R!skysports
doctor_grey
whocares
maestegmafia
RuggerRadge2611
25 posters

Go down

Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table? Empty Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table?

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 am

Well, it's less than a week to go before the start of the 6N. From my point of view Wednesday will be the biggest test for Andy Robinson's career. Why? Because this is the time that he can discard the past and look the future of Scottish rugby and throw down a marker and show the world the kind of rugby we want to play.

John Beattie snr's Blog

Once again though those "in the know" seem to think Andy Robinson is sure to pick "Desperate" Dan Parks and ignore the scintilating form of Greig Laidlaw and the budding young talent of Duncan Weir. In the Hootsman, Ferguson who as ASBO pointed out to be normally well informed also has "Desperate" penciled in to start and is instrumental in his plot to topple England.

I utterly despair at this suggestion, and have to pose the question to all members of 606v2 and not the usuall Scotland crowd, what does Dan Parks bring to the table that Laidlaw and Weir don't?

Scotland were sent packing from our worst showing in the RWC since it's inception with and abysmal 4 tries. Cardiff Blues, a team with fantastic strike runners like Roberts and Halfpenny have struggled to score tries as well. Yet neither Townsend or Robinson seem to fill in the blanks as to what the cause of this might be.

Now as the Wednesday selection draws ever nearer I fear Parks will be getting the nod ahead of a Halfback pairing of Blair and Laidlaw who between them have set the HC alight with their solid and spectacular performances beating LI and RM home and away and did it with some style.

Laidlaw is the complete package for fly half, perhaps not the quickest but he makes up with it with intelligence and an almost supernatural ability to read the game. His kicking has also been impeccible, in the game against LI at Murrayfield he picked up all the points that were asked of him as well as having the vision to exploit the LI defence.

Furthermore his abilities at scrum half meant that when Mike Blair went on one of his runs (great to see him doing that again btw) his scrum half excavation abilities meant quick ball to capitalize on the momentum and strech defences further.

Under these circumstances why would AR be considering Dan Parks to start against England when we know his capabilities and how much is game stifles the talent outside him? I won't even mention his frailties in defence.

Why is AR even considering building a game plan around him?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table? Empty Re: Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table?

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 am

Scotland's coffin and Andy Robinson has the nails and hammer close to hand. This type of selecting is where he cocked it up with England.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table? Empty Re: Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table?

Post by whocares Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 am

to be honest the only time I saw Dan Parks this season (for Cardiff against RM in Colombes) he was actually quite good (think he was MOTM!).
that said, its a bit of shame to get past the Edimburgh half back pairing specially for a home debut against a not so experienced english side.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 am

He does have a good game once ina blue moon. Usually when he has a sore toe and therefor kicking the ball is not his first reaction to a situation. I would be surprised if he tackled anything more than a water bottle to quench his thirst.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 am

Cartainly Parks is part of the mediocre present and Scotland need to build for the future. There really seems to be a lot of younger/newer talent coming through who will need match time. Keeping with the old lot will not bring Scotland forwards. That said, Scotland fans will need to expect an up and down ride for a year or so as the talent sorts itself out. But things are looking up. And that is great.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 am

Sideburns - that is all I can see he brings the to the team...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 am

If Parks gets picked though it shows no desire and worse still a failure to learn from past mistakes.

Expect another bore fest if Parks takes the 10 shirt. I hope this thread is proved to be a waste of time on Wednesday and Robbo does the right thing.

After him being shown in the stands when Edinburgh romped to victory over London Irish, I can't think of anything more Laidlaw can do to ensure his place.

However I'm not bothered if he picks Weir and Cusiter either. Parks inclusion would be a monumental step backwards.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 am

Riskysports wrote:Sideburns - that is all I can see he brings the to the team...
They arent side burns, he cant even do that right...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 am

The torygraph (telegraph) can drop a few belters in terms of rugby facts :

"Under Robinson, Scotland have scored just 20 tries in 24 matches, conceding 38."

I'll just let that one sink in.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:34 am

Eyes - bright, wide, a tad mad. Eyes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 am

If Parks does play the rationale must surely be that he is our best kicking fly half, and that Robinson expects the pack to be dominant in the scrum and lineout. Therefore Parks will be tasked with ensuring that Scotland play as much of the game in the England 22 as possible, dominate possession and slot the penalties and drop goals to win the game.

If he selects Parks, that must be the rationale. Personally I don't think that's the right selection, and I don't think it's our best chance of winning the game. It's the only way I can rationalise the selection though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 am

If Parks is selected to start, I will be starting a petition to remove AR from the post -

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 am

I would prefer Laidlaw or Weir to start like most others, however another rationale for Parks' selection could be down to experience.

In Parks you have an experienced 10 at Test level, as opposed to an uncapped youngster or a scrum-half with 1 or 2 caps (none in the 10 jersey).

I can understand the selectors going for experience, but I still feel its a step backward.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:46 am

Q: Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table?
A: Zip

Why waste so many words when one will suffice

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am

Zip:

1. A brief sharp hissing sound. 2. Energy; vim. 3. A zipper. 4. Slang Nothing; nil; zero

Four meanings of zip.

Hmmm, I wonder which one he meant????

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 am

Manky-Flanker wrote:).

I can understand the selectors going for experience, but I still feel its a step backward.

Yes but the problem is - his 'experience' is of being total rubbish and not fit for purpose -

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:57 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Q: Whats does "Desperate" Dan bring to the table?
A: Zip

100% agree.

So why do all the journalists think AR will go with Parks?

Experience at 10 in a test match? Ok I understand that thoery. Surely people with a far better understanding of rugby than I must surely be saying to him :

"Andy you have better players available to play at 10"

As other posters have pointed out he made selection errors with England, and lets be honest he has made some poor selections for Scotland too. Last years 6N Parks played the entire match against Wales despite butchering overlaps left, right and centre, and he played Nathan Hines at 6 for long periods of time......
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:Zip:

1. A brief sharp hissing sound. 2. Energy; vim. 3. A zipper. 4. Slang Nothing; nil; zero

Four meanings of zip.

Hmmm, I wonder which one he meant????
Clearly 'vim', Fly?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Reckon he might surprise us all and put Laidlaw at 9 and Parks at 10??

If I was Laidlaw and was on the bench or not in the squad I'd be absolutely raging. He should be marching right up to Robinson and asking what he has to do to play.

As for Parks - I think we desperately need to win on Saturday and I don't care if we don't score any tries, for now. If Parks gets picked and delivers to give us the win then fair play to him, selection vindicated.

However what I will be distraught at is if we keep that negative tactic for the rest of the 6N. TBH if we beat England and Italy and lose all the other games, but Laidlaw, Weir, Hogg and Jones get game time and we score some tries then I will be quite happy. But if we pick Parks and we win (or lose) then persist in the rest of the 6N with him then I think serious questions would have to be asked of Robinson.

As people have been saying - there's never been a better chance to blood some new players in this 6N than against this current England team, who aren't the most experienced either.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:02 pm

I don't really buy the "experience" argument. On that basis you'd never cap a new player. There will be experience at 9, 12 and 13, so I see no reason why Robinson should be concerned about having an old hand at 10 as well.

It's not about experience, nor is it about young or old. It's about form, and how well the players are playing, and the way in which they play the game.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Experience shouldn't be sniffed at and is a valid differentiator for two players who are closely matched in all other departments - but the GULF in skills between a Laidlaw and a Parks is just MASSIVE - Parks' selection just doesn't bear thinking about furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Agreed - I wouldn't blood a rookie 10 with a rookie 9 and 12, not in the Calcutta Cup. But with Blair at 9 and S Lamont or Morrison at 12, playing either Laidlaw or Weir at 10 shouldn't be a big concern, especially Laidlaw, who plays with Blair week in week out.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agreed - I wouldn't blood a rookie 10 with a rookie 9 and 12, not in the Calcutta Cup. But with Blair at 9 and S Lamont or Morrison at 12, playing either Laidlaw or Weir at 10 shouldn't be a big concern, especially Laidlaw, who plays with Blair week in week out.

Not to mention Laidlaw has looked comfortable in some huge games for Edinburgh in the HC.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm

It's not like Laidlaw is some green teenager anyway, he's 26, has played consistently well at 10 in the Heineken cup this season which isn't far below test level, and has a couple of caps at scrum half, so he knows what kind of intensity to expect.

It would be absolute madness not to start him against England.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish Optimist Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Having really been looking forward to this years six nations and enjoying my usual unrealistic optimism, feeling pretty depressed at the idea of Parks starting on Saturday.

Wondering if Robinson's theory is to play safe and have Parks play against England since it's so important to win for momentum and with there only being 2 home games and have Laidlaw on the bench covering 9 & 10.

But then start Laidlaw against Wales. Not that the Welsh game isn't important or it's easier to start a new player at 10 playing away but there is less pressure on Scotland to win away where playing well but perhaps not nailing down the win is more acceptable.

I'm not saying it's a good plan but like everyone else who can't understand not starting with Laidlaw, just trying to figure what Robinson's thinking.

Scottish Optimist

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 pm

It seems strange to say but, the worst thing that can happen for the long term future of Scottish rugby is that Parks plays, has a blinder and gets MOTM.

Wait a minute, does that mean I want him to play badly, losing us the match?? Headscratch

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 pm

In truth the selection for me is more important than the result.

At the RWC Toonie said you don't have to score tries to win Rugby games. Although that statement is true, what kind of attack coach comes out with a statement like that?

If Parks is picked and we win ugly, it would be a lie to say I would be unhappy. A win is always a win and beating England is all the sweeter, however we know what to expect from Parks. Herin lies the problem.

Parks has done the square route of Jack Sh*t to convince me that his position over Laidlaw in the Scotland 10 shirt is valid. Laidlaw would rightly be extremely angry to find his name anywhere other than in the 10 slot on that bench tomorrow. If he is not selected he must be thinking WTF do I have to do to get selected.

He kicked the top majority of points offered to him in some very high pressure situations throughout Edinburgh's brilliant HC campeign. Ran the game brilliantly from 10, spotted gaps and helped creat the majority of edinburghs phenomenal try tally.

Parks on the otherhand has stagnated Cardiff Blues attacking power and reduced them to playing the narrow minded rubbish we have seen Scotland conjure up over recent years. Just ask the blues fans how they feel about him!

I promise I am not a Parks hater. In 2010 I was extremely sceptical on his appointment in that tournament but Goodgodman and an untested Jackson were the only alternatives. Credit to Parks in that tournament, he proved me and a lot of his doubters wrong.

Now its 2012 and on the back fo a disapointing RWC, a questionable start for the Blues, and in the face of extreme competition from his peers it seems Parks is destined to start when we have far better options.

Win or Lose on Saturday if Parks starts, I think AR has run his course as the Scotland boss.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:48 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Win or Lose on Saturday if Parks starts, I think AR has run his course as the Scotland boss.

In the fans eyes maybe. If we win then it will be seen as a positive from the top brass - a full Murrayfield and a big win for Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Islingtonv2 Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:07 pm

As an England fan i'd probably prefer to see Laidlaw start over Parks. Now don't get me wrong i think Laidlaw is the bigger talent and better long term choice (or Weir for that matter). But with the England team being so inexperienced and experimental it probably helps us if the opposition is somewhat in the same boat. With that scottish pack and a moderate but error free Parks behind you should win, Englands only chance would be if Laidlaw starts and makes some rookie errors to keep us in the game (he may equally have a blinder).

On the other hand Scotland do really need to move on from Parks so the question is whther they will be brave and potential compromise short-term success for long-term benefit.

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:02 pm

Parks has never been any Scotland coach's first choice except Matt Williams, he won't win us a six nations or even a triple crown. If we come away from the six nations with a win over England and a nervy win over Italy whilst playing Parks I'll be disappointed at the same time I think Jackson is not good enough for international rugby that leaves Weir, Laidlaw and Leonard (eventually but not yet). Quite frankly there is nothing Parks can do that Weir can't and Laidlaw has been the most consistent 10 in Europe this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Christ this is not good at all - i'm bloody bricking it with 5 days to go Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48 pm

The thing is on saturday I dont see England scoring tries galore. So then it comes down to a kicking duel. So Parks vs Charlie Hodgson in Edinburgh? would you rather have Godman in that situation or an untried youngster?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Quite simply I have a ticket for the game; if Parks starts I won't go.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeyprop Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:23 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:In truth the selection for me is more important than the result.

Sorry I can't agree. I know you go on to make some good points comparing Parks and Laidlaw as players, but first and foremost I want to see Scotland win and if that happens I won't worry too much about who started, who came off the bench and who only held a tackle bag in training.

We had a disappointing world cup, and have four years to build for the next one. What we need now is a winning mentality and if we started every game this year with Parks, Dickinson and Danielli and won every game 3-0 I'd be delighted - OK, a confusing mixture terrified, of bored witless and delighted, but certainly in a better frame of mind than if we threw the ball about like the Baa-Baas, nearly won every game and lost them all.

The important thing is that the result is everything. Selection in a tournament must be aimed at winning every game. Let players get experience coming off the bench, or on tour, or in the AIs where results don't really matter, but FFS pick whoever you need to win the games that do matter and support whoever pulls the shirt on, no matter how daft their sideburns are.

Rant over

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Could it be international experience, is what Desperate Dan bring to the Scotland team.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:51 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Could it be international experience, is what Desperate Dan bring to the Scotland team.

What does experience count for though when you are as limited a player as Parks?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:23 pm

I can understand the Parks selection because AR is s... scared at changing things and also coaching methods although that will change soon.

I still think no matter who plays 10, unless the forwards turn up with power play and lots of carry and quick ball when it matters then whether its DP or not begs the question.

Laidlaw for me and Weir on the bench? but somehow I feel thats not going to happen.

I would never if I had a ticket not turn up no matter the team selection!!

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:The thing is on saturday I dont see England scoring tries galore. So then it comes down to a kicking duel. So Parks vs Charlie Hodgson in Edinburgh? would you rather have Godman in that situation or an untried youngster?

I'd rather have Laidlaw who was simply great for Edinburgh - 100% with kicks on a difficult day for kicking from difficult places on teh pitch. Who made 9 takles including bringing down their second row in full flight, who played a quick passing game with variety and who kicked out of hand.

Ok untried in the test arena but looks as good as anyone in the 6N and a league apart from Parks.

Play him and it won't be a kicking duel - Scotland will score tries

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:32 am

As a blues fan (guess whats coming next).....

.....just say no, like when a stranger offers you magic beans. There'll be days when the beans magically grow into a beanstalk, and Parks will kick you to glory in tough, hard fought territory dominated game.

however....

....most of the time the beans won't grow, they won't turn your field of potential attacking riches into a myriad of quick phases and intelligent running, it'll just smell like manure and you'll be stuck thinking, 'again? why did i do that AGAIN?!'

Laidlaws been brilliant, if he gets through training alright theres no reason not to start him, Scotland need to bring their strike runners into the game more intelligently, the same problem the lies are having when parks is at 10, and sweeney half the time truth be told (although thats cause he's cack).

Braveheart

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 am

It's nothing short of jaw-dropping to me that anyone (Robinson included) would consider playing Parks in this game. You don't NEED his experience in this one.

As has been pointed out, our Daniel is a very experienced, very limited player who can close out tight games. If AR chooses him, then as I've banged on about before, we can assume that Robinson believes Scotland's 6N and recent World Cup record is down to nothing more than bad luck and that this is a strategy (tight forward game, procure penalties, provide 80 minutes of laxative-esque inaction for poor Scotland fans) worth persisting with.

On the other hand, as Radge points out, to choose Blair and Laidlaw is a statement of intent for the Scottish game and in that respect, I agree, a result is more important for Scotland fans than the win.

Scotland's best game in last year's tournament? No, not against Italy where they won, but against France where we lost and scored three storming tries.

I have never questioned Andy as a coach, only as a selector but you cannot separate one part of these duties from the other and I can only hope that yerman from the Ospreys gets into his ear and starts talking some sense.

One final thing - if Parks clinging on by his fingernails rests on his apparent goal kicking and game management (i.e. kicking everything from hand), are people really suggesting that Laidlaw has not been Parks' equal this season in these departments? Not true.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 am

donkeyprop wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:In truth the selection for me is more important than the result.

Sorry I can't agree. I know you go on to make some good points comparing Parks and Laidlaw as players, but first and foremost I want to see Scotland win and if that happens I won't worry too much about who started, who came off the bench and who only held a tackle bag in training.

We had a disappointing world cup, and have four years to build for the next one. What we need now is a winning mentality and if we started every game this year with Parks, Dickinson and Danielli and won every game 3-0 I'd be delighted - OK, a confusing mixture terrified, of bored witless and delighted, but certainly in a better frame of mind than if we threw the ball about like the Baa-Baas, nearly won every game and lost them all.

The important thing is that the result is everything. Selection in a tournament must be aimed at winning every game. Let players get experience coming off the bench, or on tour, or in the AIs where results don't really matter, but FFS pick whoever you need to win the games that do matter and support whoever pulls the shirt on, no matter how daft their sideburns are.

Rant over
Donkey, I've highlighted what I think is the key point that you make - indeed, for the very reason that we have 4 years to th next RWC, we need to start building, giving international gametime to in-form youngsters (well, at 26, I'd hardly describe wee Greig as a callow youth), cos DP is simply not going to be around and the limited gameplan that he inflicts on us will cut as much mustard as the last time we rolled it out - i.e. less tries scored than a host of tier 3 nations, FFS!! mad

Right, calm, calm, ... only 5 hours to go Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 am

Mossy endorses Laidlaw to Kevin Ferrie in the Herald:

Stand out candidate to play stand-off is Laidlaw

by Kevin Ferrie, Senior Sports Writer

"Scotland may be expected to turn to Dan Parks as a safe pair of hands and feet for Saturday's RBS 6 Nations opener against England at Murrayfield but the country's most dependable performer of the past decade reckons Greig Laidlaw has forced his way into the reckoning.

Having quit Test rugby as the most reliable goal-kicker in the game Chris Paterson reckons his Edinburgh captain has found a level of form that means he should be considered at some stage in this competition as the player who can help bring a new dimension to Scotland's play.

Laidlaw has been an inspirational figure for Edinburgh since taking over the leadership this season, steering them to a Heineken Cup quarter-final.

What has been all the more impressive is that he has mostly been out of position at stand-off and with Ruaridh Jackson, who was Scotland's first choice playmaker at the World Cup, now out of the running because injury has prevented him from getting match practice, the management has a tough decision. The options include turning once again to Mr Reliable Parks or gallus young Glaswegian Duncan Weir and both have the advantage over Laidlaw of being out-and-out specialists.

Paterson acknowledged that it is by no means a straightforward choice for Andy Robinson and his team. "Duncan Weir played well at the start of the year and brings a different type of game, while Parksy will always be a contender," Paterson went on.

"You know what he's going to give you and he's always going to have a massive influence on how Scotland play [but] I think Greig's been playing really well."

Phil Godman has also been recalled to the squad but is another who has had very little game time, partly because of the way Laidlaw has stamped his authority on his team's play.

Perhaps what has been most telling is that the niggling groin problem that has prevented Paterson from kicking goals since returning from the World Cup in New Zealand has gone unnoticed such has been Laidlaw's form and the veteran is full of praise for the way his fellow Borderer has responded to the challenge.

"On looking at the games through the Heineken Cup and what he's done recently Greig Laidlaw has been outstanding," said Scotland's record cap holder and points scorer. "He's a scrum-half probably . . . a scrum-half to trade, but he's such a good player and a clever player that I think he's been playing exceptionally at stand-off."

As a man who knows about these things, Paterson has complete confidence in Laidlaw's kicking under pressure and claims he has the ability to adapt when his game isn't going to plan. "Greig is such a natural striker of the ball," he said. "You can see it when he plays golf as well. He understands his kicking well enough that if anything does go wrong he can make adjustments quickly."

It is always dangerous to over-read selections but it was plausible to read a clue into Robinson's thinking this week when Ross Ford was named captain partly on the basis that he, like Kelly Brown who had been first choice before an injury ruled him out of the campaign, is an automatic pick.

Previously, Robinson has said that he likes to make scrum-halves captain and in what is a fierce contest the form of Chris Cusiter, has made him the favourite from among the three men who have captained Scotland in that position under the current head coach.

Cusiter was captain when Robinson won silverware in his first campaign after taking over as coach, at the IRB Nations Cup in Romania in 2009 and was the first player to lead a Scotland team out in a Test match under him later that year.

That he has not been named captain suggests he is not an automatic choice for all five matches which may in turn be because, if Laidlaw is to play out of position at stand-off, it could help him to be paired with Mike Blair, his regular partner at Edinburgh.

Not that Laidlaw in any way seems the sort to need that sort of reassurance, but given that Edinburgh have shown the way in the department where Scotland have been failing for years, the capacity to score tries, a strong argument could be made for putting the pair together if and when a change of style is pursued.

Admittedly, with Weir calling the shots, Glasgow Warriors have been the more consistent of the two pro teams this season and until a recent dip in form the temptation was to throw the self-assured youngster into the fray. His personality is such that he certainly looks a long-term solution in a problem position.

However in terms of that playing style, Glasgow's approach has been rather more familiar to Scottish eyes as they have ground out the results they have achieved while scoring just 24 tries this season to Edinburgh's 44, which at an average of almost two and a half per game, is well up on Scotland's abysmal recent strike-rate.

The issue with Parks is similar since, with a mood for change in the air his selection on the basis of knowing what they are going to get, will be seen as overly conservative.

Both Weir and Parks are high-class kickers but Laidlaw has been the most impressive of all.

His eight kicks from eight attempts, the most recent a match winner, and a try in registering a personal haul of 23 points in the epic 48-47 win over Racing Metro, helped offer the first sign that this might be an exceptional campaign for Edinburgh.

In the crucial match against London Irish he was flawless with six out of six and many of those kicks have been touchline conversions.

Most important of all, though, has been his demeanour since he has looked nerveless in the crucial moments.

Saturday may not be the occasion, but the time to take the calculated risk of playing Laidlaw at stand-off in a Test match is surely approaching.

Chris Paterson was speaking at the event of the RBS 6 Nations Roadshow at Hillfooots Rugby Club. The initiative aims to reward clubs across Scotland who have been performing well in their respective leagues as well as recognise the work they do in their communities."

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

Oh Kevin.

If Saturday "may not be the occasion" then when "may" the occasion be?? Why is Laidlaw a "calculated risk"??

I hate the way he writes - totally non-committal. He sets out the facts well - i.e. that Laidlaw is now comfortably the form choice to play at 10, and then hashes the whole thing up with some wishy washy phrase like that.

Laidlaw must start. If Robinson must pick Parks, then pick him on the bench, and ONLY bring him on if it is a tactical requirement that would enhance our chances of winning the game, not just some pre-determined automatic call on 60 minutes.

I haven't found a single Scotland fan or pundit, apart from perhaps Ferrie (who knows what his views are), who believes Dan Parks to be the correct selection at 10 on Saturday. I don't think there's ever been a potential selection that would be less popular with the fans.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 am

I am getting my -

"Parks - Really? - Time to Go Mr Robinson"

banner ready

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Well greatest fear realized.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Unfortunately AR wont bl00dy risk the pivotal role and will pick DP even thou Laidlaw has been superb for us this season. Hope Rory plays and Schlong plays centre alongside MDL.

Its going to be a forwards game come the weekend and taking that into account AR will select Desperate to start steam
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:10 pm

You were Right FHF...!

Unfortunately

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:You were Right FHF...!

Unfortunately

B0ll0cks................
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down