The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick Diaz good guy or bad guy?

3 posters

Go down

Nick Diaz good guy or bad guy? Empty Nick Diaz good guy or bad guy?

Post by talkingpoint Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:55 am

Watched the first episode of Primetime Condit v Diaz on youtube and found it interesting how they've portrayed Diaz. They talked a lot about his childhood and high school years and how he found himself in trouble a lot for getting into fights. He said he doesn't know how much he learnt at school but he learnt a lot about people. The way he spoke gave me the impression that Diaz has minimal social skills - because he struggles to articulate himself he couldn't subdue a confrontation peacefully and in the end it would end up in a fight. He seems like a loner, someone who has thrown himself into a competitive lifestyle of triathalons and MMA because he doesn't get along with people and has a chip on his shoulder. I think this is evident in his trash talk about GSP after the BJ Penn fight.

By his own admission he shuns the media side of MMA and isn't the poster boy type. In many respects Nick is his own worst enemy: he shuns the media spotlight and yet he's fighting Condit for the interim welterweight title, which if he wins it will bring him massive exposure and media commitments! Diaz said in the documentary that whenever someone points a camera at him he feels like he's back in high school with everyone looking at him and even his coaches speculated that alot of that negative emotion he keeps pent up he unleashes on his opponents inside the cage. It seems Nick has got some personal issues that he has struggled to deal with and he doesn't respond well to other people or the pressure placed upon him by the UFC - again evidenced by his no-show at the GSP press conference. So is Nick Diaz just a good guy who's misunderstood or is he a socially inept unprofessional?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Nick Diaz good guy or bad guy? Empty Re: Nick Diaz good guy or bad guy?

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:30 pm

I haven't seen the episode yet but I think your description of him is spot on!

I think he is great, MMA would be boring if there weren't any 'bad guys' for example, if they were all like GSP, it would be dull.

Diaz came up in a rough area (I think even now Stockton is consistently voted one of the worst areas to live in the US) and regularly got in trouble at school and things haven't changed.

I think he's a generally a good guy but does do stupid things from time to time.

I saw an interview with him and he basically talked about how much he owed his career to his mum for driving him for hours every week to classes and says he fights with the aim to simply provide repay his mum and to secure his future and noted he has to make a lot of money at a young age as his career as a sportsman is short.

I like Diaz because he doesn't change for anyone and his persona and style in the cage is entertaining.

Many people don't have social skills and get very cautious and uncomfortable around new people, which is magnified with media. Some shy away and Diaz just gets angry!

He's never asked for the attention he gets but also knows its part of the parcel with being an MMA star, hence that he's done interviews and been filmed for the Primetime episodes.

Condit seems a nice guy but I want Diaz to win and also want him to beat GSP!

WAR Diaz!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:22 pm

If Diaz was champ would he be a liability to the UFC?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:37 am

I really don't see how Diaz could hurt the UFC. No sport really suffers from 'bad boy' and most like having them for publicity, much like Tyson and Mayweather in boxing.

The only thing he could harm them by is suddenly dropping out of a fight.

A Diaz vs GSP fight would be the ultimate 'good vs bad'!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:27 am

watched the second prime time episode which featured GSP who will face the winner of Condit v Diaz. I have to admit I am starting to get worried that Diaz has got to him! GSP talked about praying that Diaz would win so he gets to fight him and beat him. He said that Diaz doesn't know how dark he can be and that he's had very dark thoughts before. GSP has always been the poster boy, the personification of professional but he's taken Diaz's barbs very personally and I think it is now affecting his judgement! Don't get me wrong, GSP is an amazing athlete and talented fighter and I believe is good enough to beat Diaz - but will an angry GSP be disciplined enough to beat Diaz or will he leave himself open to the counter attacks Diaz loves to employ? I can imagine GSP taking Diaz to the ground early with a big slam and trying to finish him by G&P but I now fear for him. Diaz has been in wars, he's one of the toughest SOB's in MMA, I just hope GSP's got the heart to go toe to toe with Nick because I definitely think there will be some gut check moments.

Thoughts?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

I personally don't think GSP will fight any differently despite being angry for this fight. He'll be as tentative as usual, will stick to his gameplan and prob win a decision.

I do like GSP he's an amazing fighter but I hope Diaz wins.

Also think Diaz Condit will be a much better fight to watch and is a potential FOTY.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down