The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gentlemen, Looks like the duck is ready....

+22
The Galveston Giant
monzon
BoxingFan88
lightsout
Imperial Ghosty
manos de piedra
azania
tcribb
johnson2
ShahenshahG
The Sweet Science UK
oxring
AlexHuckerby
The genius of PBF
ONETWOFOREVER
superflyweight
Valero's Conscience
Union Cane
Rowley
Fists of Fury
hampo17
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gentlemen, Looks like the duck is ready.... Empty Gentlemen, Looks like the duck is ready....

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/manny-pacquiao/9010260/Manny-Pacquiaos-agent-Bob-Arum-leaves-Floyd-Mayweather-Jnrs-name-off-list-of-Filipinos-opponents.html

"The richest fighter on the planet was supposed to start serving his sentence last Friday after pleading ‘no contest’ to a domestic violence case.

Mixed messages: Floyd Mayweather Jnr's prison term has been delayed while he tries to arrange a fight with Manny Pacquiao But a Las Vegas judge moved the date to June to allow the boxer to push through with his planned May 5 fight.

Pacquiao and adviser Michael Koncz responded by saying that it could be in late May, although Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum has indicated that June 2 or June 9 are planned for Pacquiao's return, with four names on the list: Mayweather is not on that list.

They are Miguel Cotto, Tim Bradley, Lamont Peterson and Juan Manuel Marquez.

Elsewhere, Frank Warren has said that he would happily put WBO light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly in against deposed WBC supermiddleweight champion Carl Froch.
"

I can't copy the article into this thread lads, the iPod is a bit messed up.

Basically it says that Floyd was given a lot of mixed messages yesterday about Manny wanting the fight in late May. Well low and behold uncle Bob has now said that Manny is only going to fight on either 2nd or 9th of June. So there you go. They have wiggled out once again.

If someone can copy the article and paste it to this thread for those in work without access, that would be great.

Cheers

Dee
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Gentlemen, Looks like the duck is ready.... Empty Re: Gentlemen, Looks like the duck is ready....

Post by hampo17 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:53 am

Oh dear, wonder if the Manny fans will accept that it is Manny and Arum who are ducking now?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gentlemen, Looks like the duck is ready.... Empty Re: Gentlemen, Looks like the duck is ready....

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:55 am

Wish they'd both just retire now. The sell by date of this fight has long gone, anyway.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:01 am

Big time fists. It's pathetic now. The value of this matchup is going downhill fast I think. The longer this garbage goes on, the more fans lose excitement for it. If it eventually does happen it will have been about 2-3 years out of date and too many questions over one of their form (Manny) and the excuses are already there for after the fight.

It's starting to become a bit pointless
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:06 am

This would almost be worth the effort just to see how D4 would manage to blame Floyd but as we don't even have that dubious pleasure I am with Fists and thoroughly bored with the whole affair.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

As Manny is likely to retire after the Mayweather fight...therefore ceasing to be a cash cow for Arum, why the hell does it matter if/when Manny loses? Arum gets paid either way and, as we all know, that's the only thing he gives a damn about

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:12 am

Pasted the article for you Dee, was tempted to add this as well :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTUIHK7gHRE

Last edited by Union Cane on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:12 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Wish they'd both just retire now. The sell by date of this fight has long gone, anyway.

Agreed, i think it's bad they get more attention than others fighters now and would like to see others get more attention and make them feel less important, problem is it won't happen!

They're both ego-maniacs and would be so funny if both got ko'd in their upcoming fights!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:16 am

rowley wrote:This would almost be worth the effort just to see how D4 would manage to blame Floyd but as we don't even have that dubious pleasure I am with Fists and thoroughly bored with the whole affair.

D4 will no doubt be claiming that the timing of Mayweather's sentencing is proof that Mayweather is ducking Manny, who he knew wouldn't be able to fight until June because of mouth ulcers.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:18 am

From Manny's point of view if he is going to try and arrange a fight with Floyd it simply has to be now...I think it isn't unfair to see he looks past his best now, and it'd be a massive shame if he lost to someone like Bradley that he would have annihilated a couple of years back. If you're going to lose, lose to Floyd.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:28 am

If Floyd offers a fight Arum will not accept, he will only push this fight ahead on his terms.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm

Cheers Union!!

What's the video? It won't let me watch it on my iPod mate
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:42 pm

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11547.html?PHPSESSID=7516794e49561e947ec9b9e2b37b9e94

Must read interview...Floyd Mayweather wants only Manny Pacquiao!!!

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

Copy and paste PBf please - at work, cheers.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:52 pm

I reckon Bob will want the fight once Floyd has been through jail - to see if it ages him at all. A post-jail-Tyson if you will. There's been blame on both sides for this fight not happening over the years - but this time - its definitely the Manny camp.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

To be honest after this now I do sort of hope the general media and general fans give it to Arum & Pacquaio the way they were giving it Mayweather when they believed he was holding back the fight.

Arum is a bitter old man who knows Mayweather would box Pacquaio's ears off and Pacquaio is a coward for not manning up and saying to Arum I want this fight..make it happen.

Sadly the only people have lost out here is us fans.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Copy and paste PBf please - at work, cheers.

It's a site where you can't copy the text sadly!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

The Sweet Science UK wrote:To be honest after this now I do sort of hope the general media and general fans give it to Arum & Pacquaio the way they were giving it Mayweather when they believed he was holding back the fight.

Arum is a bitter old man who knows Mayweather would box Pacquaio's ears off and Pacquaio is a coward for not manning up and saying to Arum I want this fight..make it happen.

He's fought some of the hardest p4p punchers of the decade. He's been in with a man who outweighed him by a stone and a half on fight night. And you call him a coward.

Right. Balanced opinions aren't du jour then?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

oxring wrote:
The Sweet Science UK wrote:To be honest after this now I do sort of hope the general media and general fans give it to Arum & Pacquaio the way they were giving it Mayweather when they believed he was holding back the fight.

He's fought some of the hardest p4p punchers of the decade. He's been in with a man who outweighed him by a stone and a half on fight night. And you call him a coward.

You mean that zombie called Margarito...Haye took on someone outweighing him by 7 stone...Fought Mosley when he was clearly shot.

Cotto is a good puncher but does not have one punch knockout power...Always fought the "best" when the risk was low.

Some people are now reading between the lines...Bob Arum and team Pacquiao have always ducked the fight.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

Neither of them are cowards, the same is true for anyone who steps through the ropes from the four round journey man to the greatest fighter in the world, a bit of perspective and a wiser choice of words would be prudent.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

rowley wrote:Neither of them are cowards, the same is true for anyone who steps through the ropes from the four round journey man to the greatest fighter in the world, a bit of perspective and a wiser choice of words would be prudent.

Apparently not jeff. Clearly there is no grey, only black, or white. Mayweather is a demon or a saint and Manny his antithesis.

I can only thank those brave souls hiding behind their keyboards in Home Counties rooms for alerting me of this, even so late in the day.

D4 used to peddle this sort of scurrilous tripe. He's gone, but it seems a wretched shadow, a memory, continues to haunt.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

oxring wrote:
rowley wrote:Neither of them are cowards, the same is true for anyone who steps through the ropes from the four round journey man to the greatest fighter in the world, a bit of perspective and a wiser choice of words would be prudent.

Apparently not jeff. Clearly there is no grey, only black, or white. Mayweather is a demon or a saint and Manny his antithesis.

I can only thank those brave souls hiding behind their keyboards in Home Counties rooms for alerting me of this, even so late in the day.

D4 used to peddle this sort of scurrilous tripe. He's gone, but it seems a wretched shadow, a memory, continues to haunt.

Can you make a childrens rhyme of two blind mice and a keyboard?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

oxring wrote:

I dont advocate the use of the word coward all too often, but it has its place. You can be in the police force and be a coward, despite numerous risks you have taken in the past. Same applies to the army.

Why are boxers excluded from this. What they do is not as dangerous as some other jobs.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

It's all relative though isn't it. Most of us on here, despite what we may claim have never fought and certainly not at professional level and to step through the ropes with all the inherent risks and commitment to training, diet etc takes something, something many of us do not have. I appreciate people are always likely to think a certain fighter is avoiding another and so on and also the nature of forums is fans are likely to call them on this but I do find the use of words like cowards ill chosen and normally thrown around by people who have not really earned the right to use it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

Still cant believe we have posters using the word duck ! Its ridiculous, nothing to do with either ducking or afraid of one another, top athletes dont do that !

All about egos neither party are willing to give in and take the lesser/ not a hundred percent on there terms deal, both are the main stake holders in boxing, neither are used to giving in, unfortunately this means a stalemate as both can make money elsewhere such as the magnitude of them both.

Thought it was obvious to even the simpleton who have used the word ducker for the past 2 years, blaming one another. Glad you weren't around for Dempsey/Wills

Like most have said bored silly of it now.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:09 pm

oxring wrote:

I call him a coward for not standing up to Arum and making the fight. He keeps telling people he wants it so what's holding him back? When boxers step into the ring it's a different story.

But at the same time just because they box doesn't mean they can be excluded from being called cowards. Take Abraham against Dirrell. What Abraham did to Dirrell when he was on the floor was a cowardly act? Would I be wrong to say that?
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:12 pm

rowley wrote:It's all relative though isn't it. Most of us on here, despite what we may claim have never fought and certainly not at professional level and to step through the ropes with all the inherent risks and commitment to training, diet etc takes something, something many of us do not have. I appreciate people are always likely to think a certain fighter is avoiding another and so on and also the nature of forums is fans are likely to call them on this but I do find the use of words like cowards ill chosen and normally thrown around by people who have not really earned the right to use it.

Good post Rowley, and extremely true.

Do people really believe these two are frightened of one another ?? Really ?? World champion boxers never mind at there level are not frightened of one another, the underlying problem is both are the big smoke, usually have fighters jumping through hoops to earn a crack at them, it isnt happening here and its so petty it beggars believe.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

Sweet Science

You can call him a coward but you're being ridiculous and immature IMO. Pacquiao went to San Antonio, Mexican home patch up in weight to fight Barrera when he had a lot more to lose, if he lost he would went into the boxing wilderness for a while, his been knocked out, his absorbed immense punishment from Morales and Marquez, had his ear perforated against Cotto. What has he got to be scared of ? yes he might get beat and that will cross both fighters minds, its ridiculous to call any of them DUCKERS.

Abraham cowardly yes and no, I mainly talking about fighters who are often labelled as duckers.

Dirrell playacted IMO
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:53 pm

tcribb wrote:Sweet Science

You can call him a coward but you're being ridiculous and immature IMO. Pacquiao went to San Antonio, Mexican home patch up in weight to fight Barrera when he had a lot more to lose, if he lost he would went into the boxing wilderness for a while, his been knocked out, his absorbed immense punishment from Morales and Marquez, had his ear perforated against Cotto. What has he got to be scared of ? yes he might get beat and that will cross both fighters minds, its ridiculous to call any of them DUCKERS.

Abraham cowardly yes and no, I mainly talking about fighters who are often labelled as duckers.

Dirrell playacted IMO

I'm not talking about those instances. He showed courage to fight those guys but why not show the same courage and stand up to Arum?

I don't see how me saying that (it's a legitimate question I think) is ridiculous or immature.

And regardless of whether Dirrell playacted; you can't tell me what Abraham did wasn't cowardly. No boxer is expecting to be hit when they are on the floor/knees so their defenses aren't really going to be there. The punch Abraham threw could have caused serious damage to Dirrell.

In your opinion he playacted but it's odd how he's only recently returned to the ring only last month, after a nearly a year and 9 months lay-off due to doctors orders.

Why would a guy like Dirrell or his camp/promoter allow him to be off for that long if it wasn't serious?
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 6:21 pm

Looks like Floyd wants the fight on May 5th. Pretty clear cut there. Now for team Manny to step up. Dont think Manny is ducking. Its just the money men playing games on Manny's part.

Arum et al dont want it on May 5th because Floyd will be primed and ready then. Later on in May Floyd may have prison in his mind. In Nov, they're hoping that prison would have taken soething out of Floyd. Team Manny have always want to fight the other guys who are in some way weakened.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 13 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

A cowardly act does not make a coward neccessarily.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 13 Jan 2012, 7:34 pm

azania wrote:Looks like Floyd wants the fight on May 5th. Pretty clear cut there. Now for team Manny to step up. Dont think Manny is ducking. Its just the money men playing games on Manny's part.

Arum et al dont want it on May 5th because Floyd will be primed and ready then. Later on in May Floyd may have prison in his mind. In Nov, they're hoping that prison would have taken soething out of Floyd. Team Manny have always want to fight the other guys who are in some way weakened.

What's the real difference between Mayweather wanting the fight May 5th and Pacquiao wanting it June 2nd?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 13 Jan 2012, 7:40 pm

That would be fantastic - they fight in prison intimidating atmosphere, world interest Laugh Commentators with high pitched voices demanding that they get chairs that don't have holes in the back. Ring card girls come in wearing a chastity belt and Lederman gets groped by some guy called Jim who will claim it was consensual.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Fri 13 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

azania wrote:Looks like Floyd wants the fight on May 5th. Pretty clear cut there. Now for team Manny to step up. Dont think Manny is ducking. Its just the money men playing games on Manny's part.

Like I said the fight won't happen as PBF won't fight Manny later this year and Bob's made it impossible for the fight to happen before PBF goes down , Bob will obviously get Manny to 'call out' PBF after he comes out of jail and then when PBF won't fight, Bob then gets to call PBF a ducker and then the whole cycle starts all over again .........brilliant ..............and we'll all be here talking about it again..... if this fight ever happens it will be two years or so down the line now......of course it will still make mega bucks as we'll all still pay to watch it.....and in the interim period we'll all watch all the non-fights that Bob/Manny arange for us to watch as well......Bob knows this so why do yourself out of guaranteed millions of bucks.....come on did anyone think it was going to really happen in 2012..... did anyone think that Bob was a boxing fan......did anyone think that Manny seriously thought he could beat PBF......after what PBF did to Marquez......

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Pacquiao is not scared, its Arum.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:09 pm

Don't think Mayweather beating Marquez has any bearing on a potential fight with Pacquiao.

Neither team wants to back down so the timing of statements is crucial into people perceptions, say for instance Pacquiao said June 2nd from the outset and Mayweather refused and stuck to May 5th? These dates were mentioned before Mayweathers sentencing remember.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:23 pm

It isn't ducking, it's Arum being a stubborn, control freak.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:

What's the real difference between Mayweather wanting the fight May 5th and Pacquiao wanting it June 2nd?

Is this some kind of trick question?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Don't think Mayweather beating Marquez has any bearing on a potential fight with Pacquiao.

Neither team wants to back down so the timing of statements is crucial into people perceptions, say for instance Pacquiao said June 2nd from the outset and Mayweather refused and stuck to May 5th? These dates were mentioned before Mayweathers sentencing remember.

Was the MGM booked before Floys was sentenced?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Don't think Mayweather beating Marquez has any bearing on a potential fight with Pacquiao.

Yup.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 14 Jan 2012, 1:12 am

azania wrote:

It's the sole reason his sentence was postponed.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 14 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

How about Mayweather just does his time now which will probably last a couple of hours and then try and arrange a fight when he comes out, that way there is no barriers, he seems awfuly interested now theres a cut off point and a venue he has to fight at, and Manny has put in two stinkers. They can't even agree to fight never mind get all those negotiations done before the start of May. People should not expect this fight to happen in May, i would be shocked if it did.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 14 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

Makes me laugh...

After Mannys last two fights he may well be ducking Floyd as he may feel he is starting to fade and should have a couple good see me off fights to put a lid on a great career..

this is possible.

The Question is, when both fighters who kicking ass and the world wanted to see them fight, who was the one ducking then?

And why is Floyd to Keen to fight him now?

FMW fans make me laugh.

What we are seeing here is typical FMW in that bar the Osaka Delahoya fight he only fights fights when the guy is smaller and cant get to him, or is fading..

clearly he did not want to fight Manny a few fights ago as he feared he had a chance of loosing, but now Manny is fading, he is happy to go ahead.

That being said, It would be good if Manny has one more in the tank and beats FMW, who may be due a bit of age rust him self..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 14 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

What smaller fighters? The sole fight against a smaller fighter in Marquez?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 14 Jan 2012, 2:27 pm

Why is Pacquiao willing to take the drug test now but wasn't willing back then - maybe he isnt using them now - thats why he seems to be fading? Or maybe he didn't want to fight him and used it as a convenient excuse. Surely - he could have called Floyds bluff and beaten him earning 20 million at the very least eh? Both of them are arses and thought - we'll milk some more money then we'll fight - now they've overcooked it and now boxing as a whole can't move on without them two fighting. If its a one sided battering, boxing loses credibility, if they don't fight, boxing loses credibility. Now either of em can fight or urine off - but neither has more blame than the other.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 14 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

Pacquiao is on the slide now I think he knows this and will retire soon bfore he gets to washed up and Mayweather is going to jail so if the fight does not happen now it will probably never happen maybe Mayweather will retire after he goes to jail aswell look at Tyson he was never the same afte he came back from jail so Mayweather should learn from this.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 14 Jan 2012, 3:54 pm

Tyson was in prison for 3 years not the 3 months Mayweather will be inside for, even then he'll end up serving about half of that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 14 Jan 2012, 3:57 pm

Mayweather is alot older than Tyson when he went to jail there is no telling what kind of impact it will Mayweather is nearly 35 now which is quite old for a welterweight so maybe after jail he will not want to take the risk of being washed up like Tyson did. He will have an unbeaten record so I imo he should think about retiring soon he does not want to lose because he was past his best.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 14 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

There are more variables to it than simply age, Mayweather lives a very clean lifestyle, is in shape all the time, has had a relatively easy boxing career in the sense he doesn't take too many punches so don't think 3 months is going to affect him as much as you suggest. Tyson was the polar opposite of that which combined with a 3 year stint made it far more damaging.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Sat 14 Jan 2012, 6:22 pm

Perhaps Mayweather will train like a mofo in the big house and come out harder than ever. I imagine they must have some prison-centric training techniques and special nutrition that we are not aware of.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next