The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall sign new contracts at Ulster

+10
MrsP
JayMaster3000
Kingshu
rodders
Mickado
Standulstermen
Rory_Gallagher
geoff998rugby
1F'sgonnagetya!
Artful_Dodger
14 posters

Go down

Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall sign new contracts at Ulster Empty Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall sign new contracts at Ulster

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 11 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

Am I missing something here??

I thought the new rules brought in by the IRFU would mean we couldnt re-sign Pienaar, but according to the BBC he has just signed another contract keeping him at Ulster until 2014.

Ulster scrum-halves Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall have signed new contracts with the Ravenhill club.

World Cup winner Pienaar, who has 51 caps for South Africa, is in his second season with the province while Marshall has been a squad member for six years.

The news will be a boost to Brian McLaughlin's men as they prepare to take on Leicester in Friday's crucial Heineken Cup clash in Belfast.

The fresh contracts will keep the duo with Ulster until June 2014.

"We have been negotiating to retain Ruan since the summer," said Ulster's rugby director David Humphreys.

"He has been instrumental in the team's success since joining us in 2010.

"Paul took his opportunity at the start of the season when Ruan was at the World Cup and has really impressed with his performances.

"Last week he was involved in three of the four tries we scored against Edinburgh."

Ulster raised eyebrows with the big-name signing of Pienaar in 2010 and the move paid off as the South African proved to be a matchwinner on a number of occasions.

Pienaar's immediate impact was recognised when he was chosen as the Magners League Players' Player of the Year.

Ireland A international Marshall came through the ranks at Ulster, making his senior debut in 2006.

The 26-year-old impressed during a prolonged spell in the team this season when Pienaar was unavailable because of international duties and injury.

Former Natal Sharks star Pienaar said: "I have made some good friends here and have really enjoyed the rugby side.

"The people of Belfast have welcomed myself and my family with open arms, so it was an easy decision in the end."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16511721.stm

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall sign new contracts at Ulster Empty Re: Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall sign new contracts at Ulster

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

Great boost ahead of Friday!

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall sign new contracts at Ulster Empty Re: Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall sign new contracts at Ulster

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

The new rules don't come in till 2013-14.

Players will be able to be resigned up to the summer of 2013 - hopefully that is what will occur with Muller

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

Ahh I see Geoff - all the talk was that the new rules would mean that Pienaar could'nt stay after his current contract was up - this is great news.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

HEC Champions 2012/2013. Ulster.

You saw it here first folks Very Happy

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

The doubt was we may have been allowed only a 1 year extension.

My guess is Ulster and Pienaer wanted 2.
Dublin have agreed - given the scrum half set ups at both Leinster and Munster that seems understandable.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm

It deserved a thread of it's own. I'm ecstatic to be honest. To be honest I hope we are able to get Muller for an extension as well even be it in some coaching capacity.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

Great news. OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

Brilliant news. Couldn't be happier. Pienaar is fundimental to Ulster and Marshall is in the form of his life.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

Pienaar and Muller are so important to Ulster they are th etpye of NIE that once you can't you can't let go. Hope new rules are ammended.

Afoa could become as equally important NIE.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed 11 Jan 2012, 7:02 pm

Some Hit!

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 11 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

Artful,

You should add "...and Paul Marshall" to your title.

This has made my day and I am pretty much equally pleased by both announcements. Now, before someone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying that Smarsh is as good as Pienaar, but to have Ruan bring Marshall's game on soooo much in his time here only to keep the master and lose the pupil would be very short-sighted.

With the new IRFU rules we need Marshall, and all that he has learned form Pienaar, in the long term.

So pleased!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jan 2012, 7:38 pm

MrsP Marshall has a long way to go yet.

However good day for Ulster
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 11 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

He has indeed Stag but he will be able to continue to develop and improve under Pienaar at and for Ulster.

He has Ulster through him like a stick of rock.

And he is just such a lovely guy.

thumbsup

Thanks for the edit Artful.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

I really wish we still played that when we scored.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

MrsP wrote:I really wish we still played that when we scored.

I miss Journey

Run

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

What do they actually play at the end of games now? Can't think what it is.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

I think it is Poppiholla the danced up version of Sigur Ros (much better) Hoppipolla. Not sure what they go into after that.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 11 Jan 2012, 9:35 pm

Well,

I still sing the,

"Wooo Hooo!"

Much to the embarrassment of whichever little P is sitting with me.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

Was a great day yesterday and I heard that Roger Wilson is on the verge on returning

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:22 am

I expect the dust to settle on the HC matches and Roger Wilson to be announcement in the following couple of weeks.

Sounds like a done deal - I may find out more later today or tomorrow

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:27 am

The Kaino deal still in the pipeline geoff?

That will be some backrow if we have Wilson Ferris and Kaino then Henry in reserve

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Or Wilson in reserve.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

Standulstermen wrote:Or Wilson in reserve.

Was thinking that too Stand short changing Henry whos stepped up his game this season was always flinching when he went into contact as he seemed to have a habit of knocking on but hes fixed that and seems to have got better defensivly too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:49 am

Kaino talks - at a very early stage

As I mentioned elsewhere the way I see it is

HC - Ferris, Kaino, Henry
Pro12 - Kaino, Wilson, Henry

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Or Wilson in reserve.

+1 Henry is a better player than Wilson.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down