The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez / Antonio Margarito Rematch

+4
88Chris05
coxy0001
Valero's Conscience
Daz
8 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez / Antonio Margarito Rematch Empty Sergio Martinez / Antonio Margarito Rematch

Post by Daz Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:06

Afternoon Chaps

Would a Sergio Martinez/Antonio Margarito rematch be viable?

Sergio lost to Margarito early on in his career in his first fight outside of Argentina. He was still very green when he fought him and got beat.

That was 9 years ago. When Sergio was asked recently if he fancied taking on Margarito again - his response was that he won't take that fight as he would be afraid he could permanently damage Margarito at this stage of his Antonio's career.

What do you think - will the fight happen at some point? Espy if Sergio runs out of options.

Is it a viable fight for Sergio? Would it enhance his reputation at all?

Cheers
Dazstarr

Daz

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez / Antonio Margarito Rematch Empty Re: Sergio Martinez / Antonio Margarito Rematch

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:16

I would like to see Sergio avenge his defeat which would mean he has avenged his only two losses but wouldn't want to see Marg get another big payday and titleshot.

Martinez is a breathe of fresh air due to him taking on all comers so would be joining the many other champs in fighting Marg IMO.

I don't think Martinez would stop Marg in a rematch but think he would win a wide UD this time round.

Also I think his comment about not wanting to hurt Marg is just a ploy to take attention away from it as it's not the high profile fight he wants.

I think Martinez should try and unify Middleweight regardless of the other fighters fame in the US unless Cotto wants a shot or try and avenge his disgraceful draw against Kermit 'the fro'g Cintron who is a big hitter and would make for an entertaining fight, unless Cintron wanted find the easy way out again!

I really like Cotto but can't see him beating Martinez due to his speed, much like against Manny.

Problem is HBO will have a big say in what happens and they might prefer him fight a big name with less chance of having a competitive fight over an more unknown fighter who would perhaps offer a better fight, similar to Pac vs Mosley.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez / Antonio Margarito Rematch Empty Re: Sergio Martinez / Antonio Margarito Rematch

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:18

Referring to your comment about enhancing his reputation not really IMO unless he stops him which would be a big statement against Marg.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:19

Just quietly, what has Marg done to deserve another payday?!

Took sadistic pleasure in seeing Manny embarrass him (naturally never wanted him to get seriously hurt though) and i couldn't really care if we never hear from him again.

Still, one more one sided whooping wouldn't make up for the disgrace that was the handwraps scandal. Go for it Martinez, just don't stop him too early. Bring the paaaain!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:27

I agree Valero - i reckon if Sergio unifies the division - he will cement his name in boxing for sure.

Like it Coxy!! Would love for him to retire Marg!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:41

Can't say I'd be all that happy to see Margarito securing another pay day, but money talks and like it or not, there wouldn't be too many fights out there for Martinez more lucrative than this one.

Margarito's name will sell tickets and PPV buys simply because half of the boxing fraternity actually want to tune in to see him get hammered. Next, there's the 'unfinished business' or 'time to avenge that defeat' line for this bout, which is a promoter's dream.

I'd fully expect Martinez to make it just about as one-sided a bout as you'll see in 2011, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if it did come about.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:50

I think Martinez would destroy him at this stage. I would rather see him fight Sturm or Pirog next.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 13:57

samevans1 wrote:I think Martinez would destroy him at this stage. I would rather see him fight Sturm or Pirog next.

Agree mate - but wondering if Martinez has a little nagging feeling that he would like to avenge his defeat. I agree that unification is the preferred path but always like to see a fighter avenge a loss. Espy if it is against a nasty piece of work like Margarito.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 14:29

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. And he might want to avenge his other defeat. Just think because of his age he should fight the very best out there.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 14:33

Fair point mate. Don't think he has much longer left. May as well unify in that case.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 15:08

Yeah, if he can persuade Sturm or Sylvester to fight him; which is fairly unlikely.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 20:18

Sergio would own margs disgraced backside at this stage of their respective careers. He has matured like a fine wine into one of the worlds best fighters. Marg had a suspicious uplift in form, the end of which coincided with him being exposed as a cheat. Since then he has fought thrice, labouring to victory over a journeyman and getting seven shades knocked out of him by manny and Shane. Add to that a years suspension and inactivity, and I think we can all agree the guy is an exposed, disgraced, spent force.

He did nothing to warrant the huge payday and high profile opportunity of fighting manny, he has done even less to deserve another dance in the big time with martinez. In a fair world he'd eek out his days fighting fellow Mexican roadsweepers in Juarez or Mexico City. But the real likelihood is a big money rematch with Cotto, which uncle bob appears to be grooming them for.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 21:07

Margarito vs Cotto is a good fight and it will answer a lot of questions, involving Margs use of handwraps.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 22:07

Totally agree coxy. He would box his head of and batter his face in as well =).

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down