The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Froch representing UK...biggest fight of the year??

+11
HumanWindmill
Seanusarrilius
BoxingFan88
Steffan
The Galveston Giant
azania
two_tone
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
coxy0001
AlexHuckerby
cave_man_KO
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Carl Froch representing UK...biggest fight of the year?? Empty Carl Froch representing UK...biggest fight of the year??

Post by cave_man_KO Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

As we all know, the 1st Super 6 final will be upon us this weekend, and though not without its flaws, i believe the concept should be rolled out to other divisions.

But, thats for another debate...

I think this fight is great for British boxing. There certainly arent many fights that have been of this magnitude in recent times, where the 2 best in a division are fighting each other. Its great to have a Brit involved...with a genuine chance of winning no less.

Unlike the no show Haye and the dissapointment of Khan...I think we all know Froch will give his all in this fight, as he does everytime. And if he shows up with the right gameplan and mindset (more vs abraham than dirrel) we could be in for a cracker.

Whatever the result maybe, we have a fighter who will leave it all in the ring on fight night.

A win for carl puts froch right up with the best of recent british fighters, in the same bracket as Calzaghe and Hatton.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch representing UK...biggest fight of the year?? Empty Re: Carl Froch representing UK...biggest fight of the year??

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:39 am

The Haye fight was FAR bigger than this in terms of magnitude of a fight, I've only seen one article in the newspaper about this fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch representing UK...biggest fight of the year?? Empty Re: Carl Froch representing UK...biggest fight of the year??

Post by coxy0001 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

Heart is going to be right behind Froch, head says Ward takes a UD. It's rare i don't bet on a fight i'm 95% certain on but Froch is one of my favourite fighters and i can't bring myself to back against him, even if the odds at 6/4 for Ward by UD are great odds.

I'll be tuning in for sure, is a massive night for him and British boxing. Sadly it's only now he's getting the exposure he deserves so doubt Sky will see the numbers that would watch Hatton.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:00 pm

I think Carl has a better chance than whats being made out.

I haven't been impressed with Ward as an elite fighter. He has only really been placed on the World Stage in his last handful of fights and the biggest win of them was smeared in contraversy by headbutting and elbowing Kessler.

I think Froch has bagfuls of experience compared to Ward and has learnt more in his Super 6 fights than Ward has. He has had to dig really deep against Dirrell who put on the runnin shoes and Carl still found a way to win. Against a big puncher in Abraham he showed us that he can box excellently.

Ward has showed us the same thing and hasn't looked great bar Abraham who he did look decent against. But then again I think Abraham was coming off the back of a one sided points win against him and cant adapt when his power shot is taken away from him.

This fight to me is more of Carl's too lose. Alright, Carl may be slower but he has made countless mistakes in the past and lost a fight due to them. He knows where he has went wrong and in turn has enough wisdom to change his approach in a fight.

I think he is going to win this fight, and thats not my heart ruling my head. I just think Ward is being played a Mayweather type when hes far from it.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:The Haye fight was FAR bigger than this in terms of magnitude of a fight, I've only seen one article in the newspaper about this fight.

Agreed but this is the one people should be excited about, so frustrating the way everyone was talking about Haye and he did nothing then Froch who gives it 100% everytime gets minimul exposure. Such a shame Sky have only just showed interest in him when he is only likely to have a couple more high profile fights.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm

Sorry, but Carl Froch is representing himself. UK will not be taking the punches he will take.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm

alma wrote:
two_tone wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:The Haye fight was FAR bigger than this in terms of magnitude of a fight, I've only seen one article in the newspaper about this fight.

Agreed but this is the one people should be excited about, so frustrating the way everyone was talking about Haye and he did nothing then Froch who gives it 100% everytime gets minimul exposure. Such a shame Sky have only just showed interest in him when he is only likely to have a couple more high profile fights.

Exposure is the key. Haye is/was a master at drumming up interest in a fight and playing the celebrity game. Froch isn't

To be honest, what would you be doing if you had a bird that looked like (and is probably as dirty in the sack) Frochs missus..... a) Go on a big campaign slagging off another fighter in order to secure a fight or b) stay at home and cave 'it' in.

I'm guessing that's what he does anyway.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

alma wrote:
two_tone wrote:

Exposure is the key. Haye is/was a master at drumming up interest in a fight and playing the celebrity game. Froch isn't

You're right but he's blown that now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:39 pm

With a face like his and a body like hers, I wouldnt come up for air.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

Thats because love him or hte him Haye was a character that created interest. Froch is exciting in the ring but the fact he has no personality and comes across as quite dislikable he has failed to generate any casual fans or mass media interest

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

I'll be back froch all the way, but I really don't see him winning its Ward by UD for me. I rewatched the Kessler fight and Ward completely confused him, he was dirty at times but you could see his skill level was what gave Kessler problems. Froch can't afford to start slow like he did against Johnson and Taylor or he will be in big trouble.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:19 pm

Comes across as likable in my opinion Steffan.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:22 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Heart is going to be right behind Froch, head says Ward takes a UD. It's rare i don't bet on a fight i'm 95% certain on but Froch is one of my favourite fighters and i can't bring myself to back against him, even if the odds at 6/4 for Ward by UD are great odds.

I'll be tuning in for sure, is a massive night for him and British boxing. Sadly it's only now he's getting the exposure he deserves so doubt Sky will see the numbers that would watch Hatton.

I feel the same, heart say Ward UD but ican't bet against Froch, WAR FROCH!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Comes across as likable in my opinion Steffan.

His behavior has improved over the last couple of years il admit that. Maybe someone had a word...or he just decided to grow up

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:27 pm

Steffan wrote:

Thats because love him or hte him Haye was a character that created interest. Froch is exciting in the ring but the fact he has no personality and comes across as quite dislikable he has failed to generate any casual fans or mass media interest

Not everybody can be a sparkling wit and a charismatic larger than life personality like Calzaghe.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:28 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Not everybody can be a sparkling wit and a charismatic larger than life personality like Calzaghe.

Too true.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Not everybody can be a sparkling wit and a charismatic larger than life personality like Calzaghe.

Difference is Calzaghe was like Hatton...someone the people could relate to. Look how many people Hatton took ot Vegas for the biggest fight of his career. As did Joe with the Hopkins fight (I was one of them). Why has Froch failed to do this you must ask

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

Steffan, Calzaghe had Warren that promoted him, that was the difference jesus. Just can it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:34 pm

Steffan wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Not everybody can be a sparkling wit and a charismatic larger than life personality like Calzaghe.

Difference is Calzaghe was like Hatton...someone the people could relate to. Look how many people Hatton took ot Vegas for the biggest fight of his career. As did Joe with the Hopkins fight (I was one of them). Why has Froch failed to do this you must ask

Difference is no such thing.

You were making a point concerning ' casual following.' If we're including boxing fans in the discussion I'd say that there are plenty here who like Froch and plenty who rate him, leaving you in a very small minority.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:35 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Steffan, Calzaghe had Warren that promoted him, that was the difference jesus. Just can it.

So are you saying Eddie Hearn is incompetent as a promoter? I think he has done a good job so far personally

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:38 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:You were making a point concerning ' casual following.' If we're including boxing fans in the discussion I'd say that there are plenty here who like Froch and plenty who rate him, leaving you in a very small minority.

Well lets just wait and see how many people travel to Atlantic City to watch him. I know im in the minority who dont like him on here. Im quite happy it being that way

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:39 pm

Steffan wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:You were making a point concerning ' casual following.' If we're including boxing fans in the discussion I'd say that there are plenty here who like Froch and plenty who rate him, leaving you in a very small minority.

Well lets just wait and see how many people travel to Atlantic City to watch him. I know im in the minority who dont like him on here. Im quite happy it being that way

Maybe if he waited another ten years to go abroad he'd attract legions of followers.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:45 pm

Steffan my God, my God, my God.

Ok am I seriously going to ahve to lay this out as simple as possible?

It's not as though Eddie Hearn has had a lot of time to promote Froch, lest we forget that he had Mick Hennessy promoting him and streaming his fights on the internet for PPV!? Not a way to make yourself a name, Calzaghe was able to build himself a foundation with Warren because he was there from the beginning therefore by the end of it he had a big following. Froch hasn't had that good fortune and hasn't been promoted in such a way, he's only just starting to make himself a name to the casual viewer because sky are now backing him to the hilt, if they had been doing years ago would have made him a megastar like Joe Calzaghe. You know this Steffan but are just being awkward because you don't like Froch come on man!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:45 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Maybe if he waited another ten years to go abroad he'd attract legions of followers.

You havnt got to bring Calzaghe into every converstaion about Carl Froch by the way

You are allowed to big up 'The Cobra' without having to rubbish Calzaghe

Just a thought...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Steffan wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Maybe if he waited another ten years to go abroad he'd attract legions of followers.

You havnt got to bring Calzaghe into every converstaion about Carl Froch by the way

Just a thought...

It is the sole reason you don't like him though.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

alma wrote:Maybe, but I'd wager you also value Goldie Lookin' Chain's contribution to popular music ahead of The Beatles....

Im more a Stones man although give me the Doors any day of the week

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

Steffan wrote:

Just a thought...

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I mention Calzaghe without your permission? A thousand apologies.

Do tell, what do I require? Green card? Birth certificate? Signed photo of the great man? Proof that I have at least one Welsh member in my family tree?

Stop behaving as though you invented Wales, Pal. It's getting tiresome. Especially so since we all know that, had Froch been born a couple of hundred miles further west you would be crowing that he's an all time great.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Ok am I seriously going to ahve to lay this out as simple as possible?

'ahve'??? Im confused already...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

Steffan wrote:

His behavior has improved over the last couple of years il admit that. Maybe someone had a word...or he just decided to grow up

I know what you mean Steffan, at times I think he sounds like he's on another planet. Plus he has that awful midlands accent haha...

But one thing you can say is he isnt overly outspoken, and is incredibly self condifent. He always seems quite humble and honest in his answers, which I respect.

He seems to be really in the zone for this bout, which I hope isnt a front.

He has really grown as a fighter in this tournament. For example if he fought Abraham first fight, there is no way he would have fought like that. Similarly I think he would give Jermain Taylor fits if they foght tomorrow and doubt it would last 6 rounds.

I think he learned from Kessler and Dirrel to make sure he finishes it and leaves no doubt, ala johnson fight.

He is so much more rounded as a fighter, with his unorthadox style I think we are going to see a real corker this weekend.

Carl is gonna bring it, and ward is always ready and will not have an off night. Im as giddy asa school girl!

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:59 pm

cave_man_KO wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I know what you mean Steffan, at times I think he sounds like he's on another planet. Plus he has that awful midlands accent haha...

But one thing you can say is he isnt overly outspoken, and is incredibly self condifent. He always seems quite humble and honest in his answers, which I respect.

Im glad someone knows where I am coming from. As I say I watched an interview with him recently and he came across a bit better than what he did in the past. This could possibly be down to Eddie Hearn telling him to make himself more likable to the public or just the fact that now Carl has a baby it has made him grow up. I am also looking forward to this fight although if Froch wins im gonna get it so bad on here Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:01 pm

Was also a bit naive in the past, always thought he come across in interviews as ok but if he gave a half hour interview of which two minutes were calling out Calzaghe or the like that was what the tabloids picked up, so he come across all a bit Junior Witter on that front. He should have wised up to that sooner than he did, but for me it said more about the press than it did Carl.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:06 pm

rowley wrote:Was also a bit naive in the past, always thought he come across in interviews as ok but if he gave a half hour interview of which two minutes were calling out Calzaghe or the like that was what the tabloids picked up, so he come across all a bit Junior Witter on that front. He should have wised up to that sooner than he did, but for me it said more about the press than it did Carl.

Prehaps having a baby made him realise there is more to life than boxing and now understands Calzaghes retirement reasons. I just hope if he does win this fight he doesnt start that nonsense up again. Even if he did fight Calzaghe (who is 39 now) and won would he really get credit for it. Maybe in years to come he would I guess but presently Calzaghe fan boys like me will always be able to say bout the 3-4 year layoff

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:13 pm

I thought they'd totally cooled all that nonsense, they both know it isn't happening and Froch has seemed far more focused.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:15 pm

KingMonkey wrote:I thought they'd totally cooled all that nonsense, they both know it isn't happening and Froch has seemed far more focused.

Froch did mention it again recently in an interview but it was far more dignified and he wasnt really calling Calzaghe out just saying that he wished a fight was still possible

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:17 pm

Pointless fighting Calzaghe, who looked lost of ideas against 42 year old Hopkins. Saying that I believe the final with Ward will come down to 1 or 2 rounds on an MD.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:25 pm

Steffan wrote:
rowley wrote:Was also a bit naive in the past, always thought he come across in interviews as ok but if he gave a half hour interview of which two minutes were calling out Calzaghe or the like that was what the tabloids picked up, so he come across all a bit Junior Witter on that front. He should have wised up to that sooner than he did, but for me it said more about the press than it did Carl.

Prehaps having a baby made him realise there is more to life than boxing and now understands Calzaghes retirement reasons. I just hope if he does win this fight he doesnt start that nonsense up again. Even if he did fight Calzaghe (who is 39 now) and won would he really get credit for it. Maybe in years to come he would I guess but presently Calzaghe fan boys like me will always be able to say bout the 3-4 year layoff

Calzaghe aint fighting Froch Steffan. Froch can bang on about Calzaghe if he wins this fight but he'll still need Kessler and Bute to hold a candle.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Calzaghe aint fighting Froch Steffan. Froch can bang on about Calzaghe if he wins this fight but he'll still need Kessler and Bute to hold a candle.

Lets just hope he doesnt win in the first place then we wont have all that nonsense again. I got lots of confidence in Ward though to do the job

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

The only fights Froch has mentioned (when questioned may I add) in recent times are Pascal, Bute, Kessler and Cleverly.

Not JC.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:21 pm

KingMonkey wrote:The only fights Froch has mentioned (when questioned may I add) in recent times are Pascal, Bute, Kessler and Cleverly.

Not JC.

If he loses this fight who should he face then. Id say a Kessler rematch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

He beats Ward he's pretty much there, maybe avenge the Kessler loss and his record is superior. Bang on about longevity though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:He beats Ward he's pretty much there

And if he loses?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:46 pm

He steps up in weight if he loses I reckon.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

Steffan wrote:

And if he loses?

Then it depends on how he goes from there after but we don't know as to how special Ward is so depending on the manner of victory/loss we would have to see. But a loss to Ward is hurtful in terms of him surpassing Calzaghe.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

Anywho lads, it's been a ridiculously long one today (Why I haven't posted as much as normal) and I'm going home now, because I'm sick and tired of all this work, it's not normal I tell thee. Speak to you all tommorow.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:09 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Anywho lads, it's been a ridiculously long one today (Why I haven't posted as much as normal) and I'm going home now, because I'm sick and tired of all this work, it's not normal I tell thee. Speak to you all tommorow.

I try to avoid work at all costs so know the feeling. Speak tommorow

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:19 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Steffan wrote:

And if he loses?

Then it depends on how he goes from there after but we don't know as to how special Ward is so depending on the manner of victory/loss we would have to see. But a loss to Ward is hurtful in terms of him surpassing Calzaghe.

Laugh

A loss to Ward means he'll NEVER surpass Calzaghe. He won't surpass Calzaghe even if he beats Ward. He'll need Bute and Kessler (rematch) after that. The loss to Kessler was a sickening loss and the English fans love to paper over that one. A SICKENING, SICKENING loss considering Calzaghe convincingly dealt with a far sharper and non-shop worn Kessler.

Froch losing to Kessler was, and still is a very sickening loss!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:08 pm

clap

Get prepared for the backlash...

Makes me laugh how some of these people were Calzaghe fans a few years back and now all of a sudden they have their own man at SMW and Calzaghe is now thrown in the waste basket

Im staying out of it from now on you only end up getting ganged up on by people who have no intention of reasonable debate because saying anything slightly negative about their new found hero is about as popular as suggesting a modern fighter could beat someone from the black and white days

Good luck...your gonna need it

Well said though SDB thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:11 pm

Steffan wrote:clap

Get prepared for the backlash...

Makes me laugh how some of these people were Calzaghe fans a few years back and now all of a sudden they have their own man at SMW and Calzaghe is now thrown in the waste basket

Im staying out of it from now on you only end up getting ganged up on by people who have no intention of reasonable debate because saying anything slightly negative about their new found hero is about as popular as suggesting a modern fighter could beat someone from the black and white days

Good luck...your gonna need it

Well said though SDB thumbsup

Not sure what you mean by the bit in bold, Steffan.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

I didnt put it in bold Headscratch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:14 pm

I didn't say you did.

I highlighted it so that I could ask you what you mean by that one phrase.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next