The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over the top try celebrations.

+30
EnglishReign
Gatts
wayne
Cymroglan
majesticimperialman
flankertye
Breadvan
OzT
damage_13
westisbest
Knowsit17
munkian
Irish Curry
robbo277
welshy824
CurlyOsp
gowales
Comfort
Pot Noodle Miner
beshocked
SubsBench
eirebilly
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
Effervescing Elephant
Metal Tiger
RuggerRadge2611
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
HERSH
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Over the top try celebrations, Love them or hate them?

Over the top try celebrations. Vote_lcap27%Over the top try celebrations. Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 12 ]
Over the top try celebrations. Vote_lcap73%Over the top try celebrations. Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 32 ]

Total Votes : 44

Over the top try celebrations. Empty Over the top try celebrations.

Post by HERSH Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

I can't stand them and the Shane Williams one at the weekend was so over the top it was a disgraceful way for a great player to finish his international playing career.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Over the top try celebrations. Empty Re: Over the top try celebrations.

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:01 pm

I heard a story about this down a local club a while ago where the coach had told off his under 13s team for celebrating a try in a premiership football style manner.

When playing their next game the try scorer scored his try and duly walked back to the half way line without celebration. At Half time one of the opposition kids asked to him as to why he didn't celebrate the try, he told the lad that the coach wouldn't let them because they didn't do it in the old days when Scott Gibbs and all those old guys played.

I thought that was amusingly worth sharing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

When I see the word "disgrace" written on this forum it just so happens that you spring to mind HERSH.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

HAte it whoever does it. However I can't begrudge Shane Williams doing it on Saturday. It was his last ever match and was clearly extremely emotional.

What I do hate is when Players like Ashton do it against opponents who have little or no chance against them. For instance his 4th Try against Italy in the 6N was a display of huge arrogance and basicly a way of saying "I'm better than you" in no uncertain terms.

Visser too used to do it a lot for Edinburgh and according to his Twitter has stopped it due to fines emposed by club captain Laidlaw.

No place for it in the game, but as I said I can forgive Shane Williams for doing it on Saturday for 2 reasons :

A) The game was over as a contest in favour of the opposition.
B) It was his last ever match.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

If you are prepared to live by the sword, you'd better be prepared to die by the sword.

One day Ashton will drop one and cost his team a game. You can bet he will stop it then.

Mind you, Horacio Agulla did a swan dive at the end of the Tigers game, basically taking the P out of Ashton.... So whilst I enjoyed the mockery of Ashton after the try had been scored, at the time I was furious he did it and could have cost us the game.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:23 pm

What's wrong in someone celebrating something they love doing. Too many miseries on here! The more outlandish and over the top the better, bring it on!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:26 pm

Admittedly not a try celebration - but whenever people do something silly over the try line I am reminded of Will Carling at the Middlesex 7s many moons ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gpzFZadcQ

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:28 pm

I have no problem with a player celebrating scoring a try - as long as he waits until after he's scored it. It's the extravagant dive in the act of scoring, or worse, waving your free arm in the air as you run it in (take a bow, Dan Luger) that I don't like.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:29 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:What's wrong in someone celebrating something they love doing. Too many miseries on here! The more outlandish and over the top the better, bring it on!

So you would like football or NFL style celebrations after a try?

It's bad enough music gets played after scoring a try without players showboating or kissing each other
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Admittedly not a try celebration - but whenever people do something silly over the try line I am reminded of Will Carling at the Middlesex 7s many moons ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gpzFZadcQ

Thanks for that, i had forgotton about that. It was dead funny Very Happy

Who was the Frnch guy that dropped the ball showboating to the line, was it Thomas Cast?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

I would kiss the french scrum half if they scored

Spoiler:

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I heard a story about this down a local club a while ago where the coach had told off his under 13s team for celebrating a try in a premiership football style manner.

When playing their next game the try scorer scored his try and duly walked back to the half way line without celebration. At Half time one of the opposition kids asked to him as to why he didn't celebrate the try, he told the lad that the coach wouldn't let them because they didn't do it in the old days when Scott Gibbs and all those old guys played.

I thought that was amusingly worth sharing.

Yeah thanks for that Maes, it was'nt that long ago you know, we even had colour televisions (even if they only had 4 channels).

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Thanks for that, i had forgotton about that. It was dead funny Very Happy

Who was the Frnch guy that dropped the ball showboating to the line, was it Thomas Cast?

Dominici?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

Yeah could have been, it was a funny one
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

When I hear of over the top celebrations I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1914XF8afo

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

Yeah, everyone who Swallow Dives should watch Leguizamon there.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

This one was a good one as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=TlzZIT_p83w
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

I thought Shane's forward roll was quite sweet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:50 pm

if players never celebrated after scoring a try they would look like emotionless robots, can you imagine if Shane had scored his try on saturday by touching down and then just walking back showing no expression, you've got to love abit of showboating when the time is right and emotions are running high, fair enough if a player did it with every single time they scored but if you score a match winning try/a try in you're last game or just an amazing try that would'nt normally come off then you've got to love it.
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:54 pm

Pot noodle miner I would say put the ball down first then celebrate!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

But thats it Pot Noodle this whole game was about Shane and the fact that he celebrated whilst the game had already gone was shocking and tainted the whole experiance for me.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:58 pm

HERSH wrote:the Shane Williams one at the weekend was so over the top it was a disgraceful way for a great player to finish his international playing career.

- you wasteman hersh.

I actually found Agullas on the weekend hilarious, serves ashton right for pulling hair and not tackling like a rugby player, the tart.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:58 pm

Do you have a Job Hersh?

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

Nothing wrong with a little celebration of a try..... Just score first Wink

Shane Williams on Saturday was perfectly fine, the game was done as a contest and it was his last touch in international rugby. Fair play to him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

Ah i can see this thread is purely to wind up the Welsh. One of their greats has retired and you see an opportunity to try and sour the moment by writing an article belittling his final score in a Welsh shirt. Well done, you are a big man indeed. Over the top try celebrations. 1041648606

Last edited by Carpe Diem on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

As long as they dont fudge it up who cares. The games professional nowadays and we can use all the flamboyant characters we can get to expose the game (in a good way of course Very Happy ).

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

Comfort Agulla is an idiot too. To rub it in like that is immature. Also he's hardly an innocent player after throwing a few punches.

I think Shane deserved to do a little showboating. It was the perfect way for him to bow it. A dazzling and emotional ending for an excellent servant of Welsh rugby.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:34 pm

Beshocked, that depends on your view of the "showboating scores", but I found it hilariously cheeky. That game was a high octane emotional one, especially after the sending off's and after Ashton pulling tuilagis hair, he deserved to have something rubbed in his face.

I know in the main people are pretty old school on this stuff, I played basketball in the british national league, and showboating is common place in that sport, especially in personal duels in the game, so Ill probably differ with most people on it - i think its a bit of fun.

I dont really mind it one way or the other to be honest, but like some have said, if you're gonna do it, one day, the ball will free itself and you'll be remembered as a tool.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

The fist pump followed by the celebration handstand scoring action just re-inforced that it was just a giant retirement party.

This is not to denigrate Shane Williams because as the dust finally settles on his career, I am sure future generations will regard him as one of Wales great players worthy of being ranked alongside the greats of the 70s.

Perhaps I am just a middle aged curmudgeon, but I feel that the whole day seemed symptomatic of the mawkish oversentimentality that seems to have become the norm on this island. Players come and players go, but the game goes on. Here the match seemed very much secondary, rather than an International between the teams ranked 3rd and 4th at the last World Cup.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:07 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The fist pump followed by the celebration handstand scoring action just re-inforced that it was just a giant retirement party.

I agree with that LondonTiger, there was no need for it unless of course Wales won the game with the last move, Shane was out there for personal glory and nothing else, they might as well have given Martyn Williams another cap so that he got to 100.

The game was a pointless exercise and set a dangerous precedent that a player’s personal glory is more important than the game itself.

Well done Shane, well done WRU Wink
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:13 pm

Actually, the game was a pointless exercise and set a dangerous precedent that a rugby union cares more about the money in its coffers than the players and regions it represents.

At least get it right if you're wumming hersh, jeeeez man!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

HERSH wrote:The game was a pointless exercise and set a dangerous precedent that a player’s personal glory is more important than the game itself.

Well done Shane, well done WRU Wink

This was an unnecessary match but it had been arranged before Shane Williams made the decision to play on for one more game - it actually gave him the excuse to play on so that he could have one last match in Cardiff. It wasn't arranged especially for him.

I'd ask you to get your facts right but that's never been a priority for you.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

OK so Shane wanted to finish his international career playing in a friendly in Cardiff rather than a RWC (showcase Event)

That seems strange, why wouldn't you chose to go out at the top of your game rather than want one more meaningless game, plus he also denied another player a chance to show what they can do before the 6 nations?

I can't help but feel disappointed that Shane just wanted a payday in Cardiff.

Its a shame that a great of the game has chosen to do this. Crying or Very sad
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:33 pm

Welsh rugby needs money and game like these help creates it. Without them the regions would go bust.
The regions hardly make any money by themselves so most of it comes from the WRU. Ever wondered why the regions haven't complained about it.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:36 pm

Having watched the Dragons v Glasgow yesterday is it any wonder why people stay away?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Mon 05 Dec 2011, 4:14 pm

I'm not a fan of over the top celebrations, but a approptiate celebrations can really emphasise the emotion of the moment.

Shane Williams's celebration was appropriate given the circumstances, none of the 75,000 fans in the stadium seemed to object as they dived out of their seats in celebration.

Those who don't want to see anything but a silent jog back to the halfway line in every situation are very old fashioned in their veiws, the game is moving on, embrace it and move on too or I'm afraid you may be left behind.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:32 pm

although a bit stupid you cant blame shane at all, last try internationally so....

oh so hersh talking about shane doing it for financial benefits- which is untrue
anymore light on the whole RFU muck up with players being obsessed with money and the england team generally having problems?

Last edited by welshy824 on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:46 pm

welshy824 wrote:although a bit stupid you cant blame shane at all, last try internationally so....

oh so hersh talking about shane doing it for financial benefits- which is untrue
anymore light on the whole RFC muck up with players being obsessed with money and the england team generally having problems?

RFC? That's a fried chicken place in Brighton.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:50 pm

Back on topic though, I like seeing players celebrate when they score a try, even if it's in the act of scoring. It isn't without risk, but to me seeing Ashton swan-dive over the line shows he enjoys scoring tries for England, and long may it continue.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:32 pm

What Ashton does is very OTT imo but fist pumping, Hug and things like that are grand but there's a fine line. Shane Williams one was ok though, it was his last match, the games was over and it was his last ever touch of a ball in international rugby. I would have done the same. (well tryed to anyway) Whistle
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:43 pm

Irish Curry wrote:What Ashton does is very OTT imo but fist pumping, Hug and things like that are grand but there's a fine line. Shane Williams one was ok though, it was his last match, the games was over and it was his last ever touch of a ball in international rugby. I would have done the same. (well tryed to anyway) Whistle

What I've gleaned from that is that everything other than what Ashton does is fine Wink. Anything else fall the wrong side of the fine line?

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq1rUu8dZ6g

my favourite

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:48 pm

The commentary helps make that the best thing ever.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:51 pm

And of course, Rangers version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJJCvnI3N0

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

[quote="robbo277"][quote="Irish Curry"]What Ashton does is very OTT imo but fist pumping, Hug and things like that are grand but there's a fine line. Shane Williams one was ok though, it was his last match, the games was over and it was his last ever touch of a ball in international rugby. I would have done the same. (well tryed to anyway) Whistle [/quote]

What I've gleaned from that is that everything other than what Ashton does is fine Wink. Anything else fall the wrong side of the fine line? [/quote]

Basically anyone who jumps/dives/swan dives over the line unless its diving for the corner. Exceptions can be made though e.g. Shane Williams
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:14 pm

I just don't see why Williams doing it is okay but Ashton doing it isn't. Okay, Williams was obviously elated, but I take it as a positive sign that Ashton is equally elated any time he scores a try for England.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:13 pm

You're right, scoring 13 minutes into a game is the same as scoring your last ever try in the last play of your last game.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:03 am

Shane has had a long celebrated career despite his diminutive size and being written off.

Ashton is just another winger so far.

It was his last International game, he could have tea bagged James O'Connor for all I care.

This is an obvious WUM by Hersh he really cant let a Welsh great have one last moment of glory without being bitter
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:36 am

Admittedly one every now and then doesn't do any harm. I recall Shane doing two, three if you count his last try but notably the dives he made came after having pretty much individually beaten several defenders.

What ticks me off about Ashton (and a couple of the players featured in videos posted) is they took more time and effort showboating than it would have taken to just fooking score. Sheer arrogance and disrespect as they seemed to be rubbing it in the other side's face just as much as loving themselves. Ashton has been unable to resist making a drama even from simple run-ins which anyone would have scored. That's what rugby needs to avoid in order to not go down the same hole as football.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

Dont mind it myself to be honest, can be quite amusing to watch,(like some football celebrations, although some are poor).

Each to their own.

Hersh, to call it a disgrace is way OTT.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next