The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mizuno iron fitting tonight.....

+6
super_realist
JPX
McLaren
matelot golfer
Doc
tarka
10 posters

Go down

mizuno iron fitting tonight..... Empty mizuno iron fitting tonight.....

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:23 pm

getting fitted for irons tonight from the regional fitting centre for my area (AG)

The have all the gear, swing DNA etc but I just have a niggling suspicion that as it is AG the fitting won't be as good as getting it done from clubfitter or National centre.

I am no snob and will be buying the clubs from my local club pro. I do feel a tad awkward about this as I am kind of leading the guy at AG up the garden path but I want to give my pro the business and he only has the gear for fitting titleist.

Anybody have any experience with Mizuno fitting?
Is it easy just to walk away with the fitting recommendations and never return to the place for months?
Are AG any good, I feel they must be if Mizuno gives them regional fitting status but just a niggling doubt

I am going to go for MP59 4 -SW

tarka

Back to top Go down

mizuno iron fitting tonight..... Empty Re: mizuno iron fitting tonight.....

Post by Doc Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Tarka If you want to give the business to your pro, you need to go for a proper fitting session with a proper bloke who has all the gear. You will be charged for the service, but at c£50 its well worth it and you'll walk away with a print out of everything. OK No good investing in new clubs and not having them fitted bespoke to you.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:32 pm

doc, they surely have all the gear if they are a designated regional fitting centre? The place has a range as well not just hitting into a net

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Tarks,
I take it you are going to AG in Plymouth? I went there for a fitting and found them to be extremely helpful. They asked what I was after, handicap, specific club choices etc and let me hit balls till me hearts content with any club in any configeration that I wanted. I had set my mind on some Mizunos also but after narrowing down my choices they put me on the 'trackman?', the long and short is that although i was going for what i think most people accept as the 'major brands', after much testing I came away with a set of Wilson FG tours and have not looked back since.
There was no hard sell and were were more than helpful in the fact they never tried to push any paricular brand on me or tell me what shot shape/flight i should be after.
All in all it was a great experiance, took over 3.5 hours to choose and when they saw that I was serious about getting the right stuff the will help you no end.
When I am down Plymouth I have taken my clubs in and they check the lofts and lies for me free of charge and show a genral interest in how I am still getting on.
Hope your experiance is as good as mine. I was apprehensive given that the were a big company, but walked away happy and now have the irons to prove I made the right choice.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:39 pm

I only use AG as a means to see the gear in real life then go buy it online from somewhere cheaper. The AG customer service is a joke and half the employees do not even play golf.

I would imagine the mizuno fitting centre is a lot better than the average AG club set up service. Which usually results in everything being standard set up.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 pm

matelot golfer wrote:Tarks,
I take it you are going to AG in Plymouth? I went there for a fitting and found them to be extremely helpful. They asked what I was after, handicap, specific club choices etc and let me hit balls till me hearts content with any club in any configeration that I wanted. I had set my mind on some Mizunos also but after narrowing down my choices they put me on the 'trackman?', the long and short is that although i was going for what i think most people accept as the 'major brands', after much testing I came away with a set of Wilson FG tours and have not looked back since.
There was no hard sell and were were more than helpful in the fact they never tried to push any paricular brand on me or tell me what shot shape/flight i should be after.
All in all it was a great experiance, took over 3.5 hours to choose and when they saw that I was serious about getting the right stuff the will help you no end.
When I am down Plymouth I have taken my clubs in and they check the lofts and lies for me free of charge and show a genral interest in how I am still getting on.
Hope your experiance is as good as mine. I was apprehensive given that the were a big company, but walked away happy and now have the irons to prove I made the right choice.

yes mate Plymouth

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 pm

My experiences of AG vary from store to store. By the sound of it the Plymouth store sounds good.

I'm sure we've all been in the store that has the token staff that are merely sales assistants, the "player" salesman who knows what he's talking about "cuz he plays off 6 or summat", and the Manager who's just there to make as much out of you as he can.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Wouldn't buy a set of clubs without hitting them in the open. None of this net nonsense.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:59 pm

I know all the lads in plymouth quite well as I worked about 3 miles from the range a couple of years back when I started golf and bought my first set of clubs there second hand cobra. I have also bought off them 2 drivers (Ben Sayers to start and then Callaway Diablo). I bought a 5 wood off them second hand, MD and 3 putters. Also a few pairs of shoes, clobber and balls and I have always found the guys in there to be really friendly and they know you buy name on the phone and in person which is a nice touch, but my pro is a good mate and I feel that buying off the pro keeps pro shops going which is what it is all about. He will also match internet price

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:40 pm

tarka

Firstly, excellent choice of club but please do try out plenty of others as well. As they have a range, it should make your decision a lot easier than just hitting into a net and relying on a computer to break it down for you.

Don't let them pressure you, a new set of top quality clubs is a £500+ investment that should last you for several years so it's important you are happy with what you buy thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Tarks,
I think D4S must have not read my post! i think thats exactly what i mentioned halfway up the page.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I think D4S must have not read my post! i think thats exactly what i mentioned halfway up the page.

he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer mate, don't worry

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:59 pm

tarka wrote:

Correct! And I also have a low boredom threshold, if you think I was going to read all the way through the thread then you are way off the mark....... raspberry

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:01 pm

drive4show wrote:
tarka wrote:

Correct! And I also have a low boredom threshold, if you think I was going to read all the way through the thread then you are way off the mark....... raspberry

It was only in retaliation to the Tarka's Top Tracks post mate

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Yeah, I kinda guessed that laughing

Harsh....but fair Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:10 pm

one thing about this Mizuno DNA machine. Apparently after only a few swings of their special club they can tell what make and frequency of shaft you need. Sounds too good to be true

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:33 pm

I tried it last week in my local AG store. My 6 iron (which is what it's based on) swing speed was 78mph which is reasonable but not particularly strong but the Mizuno software recommend Rifle 4.5 shafts for me which are very soft, 5.0/5.5 are about regular in those shafts.

So, I'm not convinced as all other fitters I've tried in the past have told me I am borderline between regular and stiff.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 pm

drive4show wrote:I tried it last wee
k in my local AG store. My 6 iron (which is what it's based on) swing speed was 78mph which is reasonable but not particularly strong but the Mizuno software recommend Rifle 4.5 shafts for me which are very soft, 5.0/5.5 are about regular in those shafts.

So, I'm not convinced as all other fitters I've tried in the past have told me I am borderline between regular and stiff.

What other shafts did they ecommend? They normally pick 3 for you try.
The software was also recently upgraded.
http://www.mizunoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3628&sid=aaddcdd6e4e1f8c2188a8cd0545ac6d4

As I insisted on going for graphite shafts it was just a matter of settling on length and lie for mine.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:07 pm

K@S

The other options were Nippon (can't remember which model) and a couple of graphite which I wasn't interested in. Think the Nippon might have been the NS95(?) but can't remember exactly.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Had my fitting.....

All in all a tad disappointing
I am 6ft2 and I registered on the special shaft selector club 85mph,86 and 86 again and the rhythm sequence thing suggested dg s300 shaft as the fitter deduced that my ball flight was too high and this is the heaviest shaft on the Market. This is also the standard shaft with the club which is a coincidence. At loft and lie on the smashboard I middled it completely with the club half an inch longer than standard. Standard lie and loft so that was that. All in all the process took no more than half an hour so it wasn't the VIP treatment that I secretly had hoped for in a fitting. I can give this info to my club pro who will match ag price of 599 for 5-pw but will give me a ton for my callaway x18r 4-sw against ag's measly 70 quid

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I had the Swing DNA done back in May when I was looking for new irons. I was about the same swing speed as D4S, and they recommended DGS300 (but not the standard ones, can't remember the slight variation), or Project x Rifle 5.5. So there must be more to it than swing speed alone.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

as I said I was disappointed with the Mizuno swing DNA as I thought that the fitting was very quick and they recommended Dynamic Gold s300, the heaviest shaft on the market.

The process took all of 30 min and I wasn't impressed with the fitter, pleasant bloke from the shop who I have baught bits and bobs from in the past.

Well, i went back for a proper fitting last night and tried three shafts on the flight scope and he made up the club with KBS, DG and Rifle px 6.0 which showed the tightest dispersion so I have plumped for them instead and they are not so heavy.

This is the fitting I had hoped for and I stressed that i was disappointed with the attempt at fitting the night before. I had travelled 20 miles for it and made an appointment so why was the flight scope and fitting bay not made available for me the first time. I am not very impressed with their answers into the first fitting and the chap cheekily said "we have the flight scope set up because two lads have just been fitted for christmas by their parents for christmas and their order came to over two grand"
I said well these irons are seven hundred and the amount I have spent in here over the last few years I felt that I deserved a bit better treatment. The fitter was very contrite and tried to make it up to me, which he did by taking a lot of interest in me but the printout has been give to my club pro at 9am this morning for as follows. (I am 6"2 with swing speed of 86mph for 6 iron)

MP59 4-sw
Rifle project X 6.0
2deg upright
half inch longer
golf pride v55 full cord grips

trading in callaway x18r 4-sw for a ton with my pro too

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 pm

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it said "iron fisting".

Good to hear that in the end it wan't too uncomfortable tarka Shocked

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:48 pm

raycastleunited wrote:When I read the title of this thread, I thought it said "iron fisting".

Good to hear that in the end it wan't too uncomfortable tarka Shocked

reminds me of a story on a golf outing about a chainmail glove............ vomit

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 pm

played the first round with my new clubs on Sunday
37pts so was very happy
I was hitting the irons lovely and on a par 3 hit a 7 iron to within two inches of the hole and burried the ball in the wet green, I thought it was gonna be my first ace but not to be. All in all delighted

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down