The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewis Hamilton confident of signing new McLaren contract

3 posters

Go down

Lewis Hamilton confident of signing new McLaren contract Empty Lewis Hamilton confident of signing new McLaren contract

Post by Belgarion of Riva Thu 1 Dec - 17:05

Lewis Hamilton has said he is confident he will sign a new contract to keep him at McLaren beyond 2012.

The 2008 world champion has been with McLaren since he was 13 but his current deal expires at the end of next year.

"I don't think there's any question of my commitment to the team," the 26-year-old said. "I just want to continue on this path."

Asked whether he thought it was likely he would stay, Hamilton replied: "I do. I'm confident about that."

Hamilton was heavily linked with a move to Red Bull earlier in the season after he met team boss Christian Horner in the paddock at the Canadian Grand Prix.

With Mark Webber and Felipe Massa out of contract at the end of 2012, seats are expected to be available at Red Bull and Ferrari respectively.

But the British driver revealed he has begun talks over a new contract with McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh.

"Martin has already spoken to me about re-signing, so I know it's there at some point, and I guess at some stage when we have time we'll sit down.

"There's no real rush to have to do anything. The most important thing is to focus on the season ahead."

Whitmarsh also believes Hamilton will continue his lengthy association with the team.

"By his extraordinarily high standards he has had a difficult year, but he's in a positive place right now," Whitmarsh said.

"There is a deep affection between him and the team and I'm sure that love affair will carry on for many years to come.

"I've known him since he was 11 but he is still a young man. I'm fairly confident we'll find a good way forward."

Hamilton, whose team-mate Jenson Button signed a 'multi-year' deal with McLaren in October, insisted he is in "a positive place within myself" despite a gearbox failure ending his participation in the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, won by Mark Webber.

"Things are getting better," said Hamilton, who split with his girlfriend, the pop star Nicole Scherzinger, and dealt with the death of two close friends during what he described as his worst season in F1.

"What is most important for me next year is getting back to where I should be - to the good performances, to winning, to enjoying life, enjoying the year."

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15928246.stm

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Lewis Hamilton confident of signing new McLaren contract Empty Re: Lewis Hamilton confident of signing new McLaren contract

Post by Guest Fri 2 Dec - 14:38

Belgarion of Riva wrote:"What is most important for me next year is getting back to where I should be - to the good performances, to winning, to enjoying life, enjoying the year."

Somehow, I can't see Lewis experiencing the above at McLaren anytime soon. If Lewis has failed to win a race before Bahrain next season and the car is uncompetitive to Red Bull, then Lewis' ambition to win multiple world titles will surely lead him and his team management to pursue the Mark Webber seat for 2013. If he was fully commited to staying at Mclaren for the long term then a deal would of been concluded by now. If McLaren develop an inferior car to Red Bull & Ferrari for 2012, they risk losing Lewis Hamilton. However, if they had pushed for a deal before the season had closed, then Lewis would be contractually tied to Mclaren regardless of the competitiveness of the car.

Back to top Go down

Lewis Hamilton confident of signing new McLaren contract Empty Re: Lewis Hamilton confident of signing new McLaren contract

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 2 Dec - 14:56

I think the biggest indicator of just how happy he is and how much confidence he has in the team, will be whether or not he signs a multi-year deal like Button.

If its just a 2-year job, then it would be fairly easy to buy out his contract, if things didn't work out next season.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Thu 12 Jan - 15:09

Is there a better No2 driver out there that Mclaren could get ?
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 12 Jan - 15:28

Another way to look at it would be, "what better teams are there that Lewis could go to?" Wink

He definitely wouldn't get equal treatment at Ferrari and despite Christian Horner's assertions of Webber enjoying equal treatment to Vettel, it seems pretty obvious to me the Red Bull team is geared around Seb.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down