The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humble Boxers

+10
Haito
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
Nico the gman
Atila
horizontalhero
Steffan
AlexHuckerby
oxring
azania
14 posters

Go down

Humble Boxers Empty Humble Boxers

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:10 am

Why do people like them? Personally I find them boring outside the ring. Sleep inducing in fact. I'd much rather a quote a minute boxer. Lets face it, Pac is boring outside the ring. Very humble, nice, helps old ladies into their rickshaw etc. Floyd outside the ring is fun. Outrageous, bling, stupid and funny. In all honestly, I find him boring iin the ring. But as a personality, far more quote worthy and interesting than Pac.

Toney, that ridiculous Nicaraguan (forget his name), Tyson. Personally speaking I want boxer to be OTT. Khan cant say much without putting both feet and gloved hands in his mouth. So what? I dont want to hear his views of glabal affairs and the euro crisis. I dont want him respecting his opponents. I want him to dis his opponents. It sells.

azania

Back to top Go down

Humble Boxers Empty Re: Humble Boxers

Post by oxring Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:30 am

Floyd is a tool.

Manny seems a decent bloke.

One of the 2 is iconic and makes headlines in the daily press in this country, whilst stopping a war in his own country when he fights.

Mayweather isn't popular in his own back yard.

Brashness has its place - but so too does humility.

Toney talks like a fool - and however much he speaks, he won't persuade me that he's a great. Tibieri, Griffin speak louder against him than his words do for him.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:27 am

i actually have come to the conclusion that floyd is a decent bloke under all the bravado. its all a bit smoke and mirrors at times with him selling his fights. he knows that hate sells... and its worked look at how much its made him. underneath all that i actually think lies a pretty decent human being albeit that holds a few questionable views or has aired some at the very least.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:43 am

Floyd is a good man. He keeps bad company though. 50 Cent and all that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:46 am

whats wrong with fiddy?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:46 am

My personal favourite was Kirkland Laing- great entertainer in and out of the ring, but humble at the same time- you can have personalty and cockiness without being a c**K. A young Meldrick Taylor is another example of cocky and brash without being arrogant, same goes for Ray Leonard. I find all the dissing and trash talk boring- heard it all before. Allways thought that Toney was a complete tool who came acroos as ppoor man Suge Knight.Muppet to say the least.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:48 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:whats wrong with fiddy?

What's right with Fiddy?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:51 am

did anyone see the 24/7 episode where fiddy was chomping on the ravioli? i dont know why but i laughed my head off at it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 19 Nov 2011, 4:58 am

I don't care much either for 'humble fighters' because generally, it's all just an act. If you're really a nice, down to earth humble fighter then I don't need you, your manager or your promoter telling me this everyweek.

Just take Joe Frazier for example. A true legend and from what I've read, a decent man but when I see old interviews of his I've never heard him say anything like "I'm just a humble guy from Philidelphia", unlike Hatton, 'a reet umble man from a council estate'.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 8:27 am

oxring wrote:Floyd is a tool.

Manny seems a decent bloke.

One of the 2 is iconic and makes headlines in the daily press in this country, whilst stopping a war in his own country when he fights.

Mayweather isn't popular in his own back yard.

Brashness has its place - but so too does humility.

Toney talks like a fool - and however much he speaks, he won't persuade me that he's a great. Tibieri, Griffin speak louder against him than his words do for him.

Mayweather's persona is an act. He deliberately plays the hip-hop bad boy role. It sells. Because face it, his style of boxing doesn't leave you on the edge of your seat. Pernell was a supreme boxer. Very nice bloke out of the ring. Made far less money than his talent deserved. If he had a personality bigger than a grape he would be living large and in charge.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sat 19 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

PBF - whereas Floyd beats his wife and steals from his son...
-------------------------------
It doesn't have to be an either or.

Manny and Floyd are both fantastic boxers - and although I know azania disagrees - both all time greats.

Manny plays the humble nice guy outside of the ring - which I find quite engaging.

Floyd's "bad boy" persona has certainly paid his bills. However - if he ever loses - he will be discredited more swiftly than he could say "money". The word everyone wants to throw around is "exposed" - and it will be thrown at him if he loses - which, to be fair, he may avoid doing.

If he doesn't lose, his chat will have helped his legacy.

It still doesn't stop it appearing boorish to some. I remember listening to 5live in the week before Haye-Ruiz - they played an interview with Haye promising to destroy him, make him eat pain - that sort of garbage. Meanwhile - the pundits were bemoaning the fact that boxers had to try to sell fights - saying they'd rather people to just say - "this fight might be a challenge" once in a while.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

Alex Arthur walked over to my brother in Vegas and asked if he was British,started talking about boxing,brother said not big headed or self opinionated cracking bloke very down to earth.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Humble or arrogant doesn't much concern me.

I believe we like our high profile fighters to have big personalities, ( I do, anyway, since it adds a bit of ' seasoning, ' ) but a great fighter is a great fighter, regardless.

I also believe that a humble fighter can have as big a persona as an arrogant one.

Floyd Patterson, anyone?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 19 Nov 2011, 1:10 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Humble or arrogant doesn't much concern me.

I believe we like our high profile fighters to have big personalities, ( I do, anyway, since it adds a bit of ' seasoning, ' ) but a great fighter is a great fighter, regardless.

I also believe that a humble fighter can have as big a persona as an arrogant one.

Floyd Patterson, anyone?
Yep regarded as a gentleman by anyone who met him,not a World Champ, but Henry Cooper loved by everyone not just boxing fans.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 19 Nov 2011, 1:26 pm

Floyd Patterson, anyone?

Why Windy why?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 19 Nov 2011, 1:36 pm

Took a while to work that one out, Ghosty, but I got there in the end.

az is none too keen on Patterson, but we're not going down that road here, are we az?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

Steffan wrote:Floyd is a good man. He keeps bad company though. 50 Cent and all that

Hasn't Floyd had multiple cases of domestic violence brought against him? Counts of racism against Manny? General assault charges?

I do think there is a much nicer side of Floyd and he can be great post fight, very respectful and I'm sure he's also done many good deeds but just for his character, the bad outweighs the good for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Nov 2011, 1:50 pm

like comparing mannys 24/7s to floyds 24/7s tells you a bit... mannys are the same everytime with floyd you literally dont know whats coming next0 floyds are intererting whereas mannys... not so much.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sat 19 Nov 2011, 5:11 pm

I do like fighters with an edge, Benn, Mayweather, Hamed etc all wernt known for playiing the nice guy but I do agree with Windy, aslong as the fighter has some character then brashness isnt a must on every occasion.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 19 Nov 2011, 5:17 pm

Zab Judah

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Nov 2011, 5:19 pm

odd character judah

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 19 Nov 2011, 5:22 pm

He is actually quite humble now, but before the Tszyu fight he was probably the most brash, arrogant boxer in the history of the sport. Never have I seen a fighter I wanted to lose more than Judah.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 8:09 pm

Floyd Patterson, anyone?

Shocked Shocked censored

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:like comparing mannys 24/7s to floyds 24/7s tells you a bit... mannys are the same everytime with floyd you literally dont know whats coming next0 floyds are intererting whereas mannys... not so much.

My problem with Floyd's is that I feel like I'm watching some kind of trashy, scripted reality show. I'd rather see something about boxing than an ego running around swearing at everyone and saying he's wonderful. Talking to fifty cent through wads of cash? Who really found that entertaining?

Manny's can be repetetive but it tends to focus more on the sport.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:like comparing mannys 24/7s to floyds 24/7s tells you a bit... mannys are the same everytime with floyd you literally dont know whats coming next0 floyds are intererting whereas mannys... not so much.

My problem with Floyd's is that I feel like I'm watching some kind of trashy, scripted reality show. I'd rather see something about boxing than an ego running around swearing at everyone and saying he's wonderful. Talking to fifty cent through wads of cash? Who really found that entertaining?

Manny's can be repetetive but it tends to focus more on the sport.

Floyds are scripted by Floyd I reckon. He deliberately comes across as garish as he is playing to the hip-hop generation Y groups of urbanites. He is also playing to those who dislike such behaviour.

He's looking to put bums on seats, selling the fight. People pay to see him lose (or win) but the bottom line is that people pay.

Face it, without his mouth he couldn't sell anything. He is not the most exciting fighter there.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:34 pm

fair enough JBW i just find it amusing especially when he started singing that song about how PPV tickets are nonrefundable was so obviously to upset the "HATERZ"

also to be fair there are a lot of nice guys that have been interesting characters like arguello

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:29 pm

azania wrote:Why do people like them? Personally I find them boring outside the ring. Sleep inducing in fact. I'd much rather a quote a minute boxer. Lets face it, Pac is boring outside the ring. Very humble, nice, helps old ladies into their rickshaw etc. Floyd outside the ring is fun. Outrageous, bling, stupid and funny. In all honestly, I find him boring iin the ring. But as a personality, far more quote worthy and interesting than Pac.

Toney, that ridiculous Nicaraguan (forget his name), Tyson. Personally speaking I want boxer to be OTT. Khan cant say much without putting both feet and gloved hands in his mouth. So what? I dont want to hear his views of glabal affairs and the euro crisis. I dont want him respecting his opponents. I want him to dis his opponents. It sells.

Maybes you'd be better suited to the WWF

Funny enough I like boxing, when two guys are in a ring together wearing gloves.

Can't stand all the nonsense outside of it, especially those idiotic entrances, Haye, Klitschko comes to mind, watched a re run of only fools and horses waiting for them to get in the ring and actually fight.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

Yeah, even though I don't find it very compelling I can see that plenty of people do find Floyd's spiel pretty entertaining, and that vein he will tap!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

tcribb wrote:
azania wrote:Why do people like them? Personally I find them boring outside the ring. Sleep inducing in fact. I'd much rather a quote a minute boxer. Lets face it, Pac is boring outside the ring. Very humble, nice, helps old ladies into their rickshaw etc. Floyd outside the ring is fun. Outrageous, bling, stupid and funny. In all honestly, I find him boring iin the ring. But as a personality, far more quote worthy and interesting than Pac.

Funny enough I like boxing, when two guys are in a ring together wearing gloves.

Can't stand all the nonsense outside of it, especially those idiotic entrances, Haye, Klitschko comes to mind, watched a re run of only fools and horses waiting for them to get in the ring and actually fight.

I enjoy the whole event. It created interest. Ali put boxing on the front page. So did Tyson. Boxing is on its knees and facing competition for tv time with other sports. If the fighters are as blacd as Pac boxing will die. Perhaps it does need an injection of WWF hype to garner more public interest.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:41 pm

azania wrote:
tcribb wrote:

I enjoy the whole event. It created interest. Ali put boxing on the front page. So did Tyson. Boxing is on its knees and facing competition for tv time with other sports. If the fighters are as blacd as Pac boxing will die. Perhaps it does need an injection of WWF hype to garner more public interest.

sad that theyre resorted to it but its true.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleaks Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

I like a boxer to be brash, confident before the fight, maybe even a bit controversial. However, there's nothing nicer to see than a guy being humble either in victory (like Floyd often is) or in defeat (like Bellew in the Cleverly bout)

Bleaks

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm

Bland as he may be, Pacquiao's boxing has always done his talking for him hence why he's such a huge draw.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:32 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Bland as he may be, Pacquiao's boxing has always done his talking for him hence why he's such a huge draw.

The biggest draws in boxing have always been those with a mouth and attitude. Do you honestly believe that if floyd was humble and helped old ladies across the road, he would be as well knows as he is now?

Take Pernell as an example. Super talented, but outside of hardcore fans, who knew him?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:35 pm

Pacquiao has an exciting style which draws the fans to him, he doesn't need to have a big mouth whereas someone like Floyd does in order to be noticed. De La Hoya and Holyfield weren't loud mouths but the fans loved them for the way they thought.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:11 pm

I'll throw out on a limb - I'm not sure of the numbers but globally - I reckon Pacquiao is a bigger draw across the globe.

He has a good story and an exciting style. Has it all really.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm

Would imagine Oxy that much of Pacquiaos fan base is from countries that don't pay PPV while Mayweathers is mainly in the US with a cult following in this country too.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Pacquiao has an exciting style which draws the fans to him, he doesn't need to have a big mouth whereas someone like Floyd does in order to be noticed. De La Hoya and Holyfield weren't loud mouths but the fans loved them for the way they thought.

Oscar was heavily promoted as the golden boy. All he needed to do was smile and look good to get noticed. He was promoted the moment he turned pro as the only gold medalist.

Holy was a HW, American and good. No more need be said.

Floyd's style is for the purists. To cross-over for mass appeal/infamy he plays the clown. Its all markeing. Otherwise he would be another Pernell.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:21 pm

oxring wrote:I'll throw out on a limb - I'm not sure of the numbers but globally - I reckon Pacquiao is a bigger draw across the globe.

He has a good story and an exciting style. Has it all really.

No need ot throw anything. He's huge is Asia. Floyd is well known in Africa though. Floyd would sell more in Africa than Pac. Pac would sell more in Asia. In Europe, I believe Floyd would sell more.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm

So proving my point Az that each boxer needs to be marketed differently, would watch Mayweather without all the clowning about as he boxes how it should be done but guys like Pacquiao or Chavez don't need to be.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:35 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So proving my point Az that each boxer needs to be marketed differently, would watch Mayweather without all the clowning about as he boxes how it should be done but guys like Pacquiao or Chavez don't need to be.

We're boxing fans. We'll watch it. But Joe Public has other sports to watch nad the likes of Naz, Eubank, Benn were perfect to sell fights and get Joe Public to pay attention to boxing. If all were like pac, yes he would be exciting, but he would be somewhat hidden from Joe Public. Pac became famous not only due to his style but because he beat Oscar and the weight he came from.

Boxing needs more brash fighters and not more Ricky Burns type fighters.....good as he is.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down